The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NickA
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NickA »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
NickA wrote:Well, can't hurt, I'm going to renew my four seats tonight.
Oh I am renewing no matter what. The Rhody Rams are my team.
No doubt, was planning on doing it at some point this week. Finally catching my breath after getting back from Pittsburgh yesterday!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

twisted3829 wrote:a little OT on new member request tonight?
Just imagine what tonight would be like on the old Projo boards! Or don’t! Too scary.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote:
brady1 wrote:Dcram, give it a rest. We get it you think Dan’s gone and you want Cox to get the gig. But this Cox waterboy thing over and over is getting more annoying than a rombone sky is falling over and over.

GO RHODY!
Glad I got your attention. I am vying to keep the band together and sharing my opinion like the rest of the board. You don’t like it? GFY...
What a dick
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/in ... ead=566257

Now it’s on the New York Football Giants message board and a guy at the Esquire Tavern in San Antonio (I’m here for work) just saw my Rhody hat and said, I hope Hurley doesn’t go to UConn. Hahaha. We can’t escape it.
2 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Dan said that family was real here and not just talk. I take him at his word and believe him. He now has concrete points to negotiate with. I.don't feel impending doom
6 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......so so many unknowns........What I know is that I will continue to cheer for and follow the laundry......as I have for many years......Go Rhody.....
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:Anyone saying a firm, no turning back decision has been made is not reporting facts.
I wrote this yesterday. Still true.
14 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

theblueram wrote:
Bigsnoop wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
I get that but we've all seen times where recruits transfer to where the new coach is. Anyways, don't need to worry about for another day or so anyhow
A school can release a player from his LOI, but can't put conditions on the release. It's all or nothing, and the school always releases the player because if you don't, it's used against you in recruiting.
This is just untrue
You can put restrictions on transfers, but not LOI releases.
Last edited by Bigsnoop 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ace wrote:
ace wrote:Anyone saying a firm, no turning back decision has been made is not reporting facts.
The only poster to listen to on this subject
7 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
brady1 wrote:Dcram, give it a rest. We get it you think Dan’s gone and you want Cox to get the gig. But this Cox waterboy thing over and over is getting more annoying than a rombone sky is falling over and over.

GO RHODY!
Glad I got your attention. I am vying to keep the band together and sharing my opinion like the rest of the board. You don’t like it? GFY...
What a dick
Oh how the tables turn, stop with the hypersensitivity because we all don’t see eye to eye on this. The fact that you feel it’s okay to condemn me for doing what everyone else is doing is baffling. At the end of the day, we will all be Rhody fans, so enough with the chastising because I’m freely expressing my beliefs/opinion.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just sent Thorr an email. I hope I'm not too late.
3 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
ace wrote:
The only poster to listen to on this subject
Well, I’m not sure that’s true, but that Connecticut source from earlier was trippin.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
You are just jumping the gun on this. A coach has no control over recruits who signed an NLOI. The school does. Only the school can release a recruit and can put conditions on the release.
I get that but we've all seen times where recruits transfer to where the new coach is. Anyways, don't need to worry about for another day or so anyhow
Can you give me examples of recruits being released AND going (It's not a transfer) to the school that his coach left for? I can't think of any.
I can think of plenty where they go to another school (usually a school that was in their final 3) but not where they followed the coach.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

mstyles22 wrote:http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/in ... ead=566257

Now it’s on the New York Football Giants message board and a guy at the Esquire Tavern in San Antonio (I’m here for work) just saw my Rhody hat and said, I hope Hurley doesn’t go to UConn. Hahaha. We can’t escape it.
The New York Football Giants have a message board? Ummm....why? :lol:
2 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Hurley took this job and made it one of the most desirable in the conference. We’re one of the big dogs now in the A10. As long as they make another good hire, there’s no reason that the program can’t maintain its growth.

I didn’t expect excellence 10 years ago. I do now. For that, I thank DH.
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Dan Hurley is still our coach right now. Period. If at some point in the near or distant future he is no longer. URI has again become a plum job and there will be many qualified candidates to chose from. I like coach Cox but many qualified candidates will be looked at by the powers that be before a dicision is made. Right now I hope Mr Hurley will be our coach when Mr Cox gets his first head coaching job somewhere else.

GO RHODY!
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Haha, how dare you!

A lot of “what do we do with our 2nd pick?” talk.

Needless to say I’ve spent a lot more time here in the past few years...
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Are you really a Giants fan that doesn't know about BBI...?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Running Ram wrote:How about Tom Ryan securing his legacy at URI by stepping in and helping keep Hurley?
Not sure if serious
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
theblueram wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
What a dick
Oh how the tables turn, stop with the hypersensitivity because we all don’t see eye to eye on this. The fact that you feel it’s okay to condemn me for doing what everyone else is doing is baffling. At the end of the day, we will all be Rhody fans, so enough with the chastising because I’m freely expressing my beliefs/opinion.
I didn't condemn you. But if DH does leave, Cox may or may not be a candidate for coach. No need to pom pom wave on the next potential coach when nothing has happened. Just said you were being a dick to Brady, that's all.
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

For anyone from UConn saying that Hurley to UConn was a done deal, I'd use a quote from Andy Griffith: "Don't count your peaches until they're all fuzzed up good."

#FakeNews
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Just sent Thorr an email. I hope I'm not too late.
I sent Dan and Thorr an email. Tied in Ram Family to Dan.
Asked Thorr to let the alumni and fans know what we can do to help keep Dan.
I let them both know the # of fans that have told me they are getting season tickets and/or making a donation in the last two days.
I told them that I made my largest donation this morning to support where I can.
Offered to volunteer to help fundraising (to Thorr).

Hopefully if they see the outpouring it will help a little.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Besides Ace I trust this guy too
7 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
theblueram wrote:
What a dick
I didn't condemn you. But if DH does leave, Cox may or may not be a candidate for coach. No need to pom pom wave on the next potential coach when nothing has happened. Just said you were being a dick to Brady, that's all.
Respect.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hey Dre maybe stick that dynamite up your ass for a day or so.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

brady1 wrote:Dan Hurley is still our coach right now. Period. If at some point in the near or distant future he is no longer. URI has again become a plum job and there will be many qualified candidates to chose from. I like coach Cox but many qualified candidates will be looked at by the powers that be before a dicision is made. Right now I hope Mr Hurley will be our coach when Mr Cox gets his first head coaching job somewhere else.

GO RHODY!
Brady has it right. URI's problem is that good coaches are going to leave and bad coaches have been allowed to stay too long. There will be an impressive number of applicants for any URI opening.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

DC_Rams wrote:
theblueram wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Respect.

Absolutely right, nothing has happened yet and Dan is still our coach at this time. If something does happen, unfortunately, and he does go, my initial thought would be that I would be very happy with David Cox. Many will differ on that point if it does unfortunately come to that that's a discussion for later. But to compare David Cox to Jerry D in any way at all, even mention in the same sentence is foolish. Cox has a great deal of experience as a coach, a very intelligent and engaging guy who has been here a few years , knows the school, program and culture. Jerry D was none of that or close. No experience at all at any level and Lamar Odom was a once in a lifetime talent for a school like URI . That decision was obviously awful and devastating to the program, but I think Coach Cox deserves better than that comparison or analogy to keep a recruits or recruits by hiring a coach. His resume and work we have seen deserves better.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Help us out here Rod if you can.

It’s tough going thru this every year.

I hope Hurley leverages all his demand and keeps getting what he wants at URI.

In the past he has asked for program building wants and not necessar his own wallet.

I hope this is the case again this time and is a win-win for RHODY
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

collegehoopsjunky almost went full Pat Riley at the gas station in that thread. Cant believe such message board gold was locked.
5 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

“Listen, I could give a crap about who’s got an opening anywhere. I haven’t thought about it for a second. I could care less about any other school in the country looking for a coach,” he said. “My heart and my mind is with this program and these players.”
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

And Koch is another voice of reason
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
EastCTRam69
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by EastCTRam69 »

Rhody83 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
You are just jumping the gun on this. A coach has no control over recruits who signed an NLOI. The school does. Only the school can release a recruit and can put conditions on the release.
Can you give me examples of recruits being released AND going (It's not a transfer) to the school that his coach left for? I can't think of any.
I can think of plenty where they go to another school (usually a school that was in their final 3) but not where they followed the coach.
Kyle Young for Ohio State just this past summer
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody74 wrote:And Koch is another voice of reason
I say that is Bill Koch showing up after all the shots have been fired and stating the obvious.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Okay so all the local guys (except for Crapano .... typo intentional) are saying Hurley is waiting for URI’s best counter offer. Let’s hope Thorr and Dooley get it done again.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
Well I hope they give a raise this time. He deserves it and should be accomplished. Also, the marketing department needs to get their head out of their ass and start soliciting donations for the program.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If Hurley leaves he's taking someone with him:
https://www.theday.com/uconn-sports/201 ... ball-coach
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:collegehoopsjunky almost went full Pat Riley at the gas station in that thread. Cant believe such message board gold was locked.
lmaoooo right? I cant lie that was peak offseason material
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote:If Hurley leaves he's taking someone with him:
Well yea it would seem obvious Moore would go with him.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Boy, go to sleep for three hours, the board explodes.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:
I thought Cox was the great recruiter. Why wouldn't he go?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
I don’t know if this is a sarcastic or pompous response to my post , but I’ll answer the question.

Uh, Moore was an assistant at UCONN for multiple years, as you know.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
I don’t know if this is a sarcastic or pompous response to my post , but I’ll answer the question.

Both.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Fake news
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

Both.
Lol, what a hardo.
0 x
Go Rhody
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Blue Man wrote:Hey Dre maybe stick that dynamite up your ass for a day or so.
Lmao if you think Hurley will be the coach of this team next year that's fine. You're a fool, but that's fine. My source is standing firm on what has been said all season. I'll even make a one sided bet. If I am wrong I'll humbly come on here and apologize and never post again. I'm sure when I'm right, you won't even apologize.
0 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

If he goes to uconn we will have to wonder if Moore was in his ear about it. I doubt Moore minds commuting to Storrs from his home in tolland (5 minutes away) instead of the hour commute to Kingston. Uconn fans think there have been ‘back channels’ on this deal for months. Would not have been hard for Moore to be uconn a inside guy on what makes Hurley tick and what he wants for his programs. Could be a conspiracy theory or could be truth. I dont know. Moore left uconn on good terms to take the Quinnipiac job and he’s one of Calhoun’s guys. I doubt he would have hung up the phone when uconn insiders called him this year to ask about Hurley knowing there would be a job for him 5 minutes from home at greater pay.
0 x