The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by DC_Rams »

At this point, knowing we can’t pay/offer what UCONN and Pitt can...I believe DH is gone.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

The speculation floating around in this age of information is dizzying. Already reading debates about Harris decommiting: Does he follow Dan to UConn or go to Xavier which was his 2nd choice? Lol

It’s madness. I might put my phone under the bed for 48 hours and check the updates on Wednesday.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Harris will go where Cox goes.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

DC_Rams wrote:At this point, knowing we can’t pay/offer what UCONN and Pitt can...I believe DH is gone.
already said no to 3 mill a year at a B1G school
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
VCUDevDog
Jim Eitner

Unread post by VCUDevDog »

theblueram wrote:
VCUDevDog wrote:Hope this isnt true . But if it is its likely that recruits will follow. This is the time for you the fans to rally around the recruits. Remind them that URI is more than 1 man. When Will Wade left us last year VCU fans bombarded recruits via twitter telling them to stay. We ended up keeping 3 of the 5 incoming. I think a lot of that had to do with the amount of attention fans showed. You will survive this.
The recruits signed an NLOI. There are conditions that can be put on them to release a player.
Those letter of intents mean nothing if the coach leave and the recruit want to leave. Rarely do schools keep players that want a release after the recruiting coach leaves. Its not fair to the recruit. Trust me, If VCU couldve held on to some of the kids who we signed we would be a top 25 program.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:At this point, knowing we can’t pay/offer what UCONN and Pitt can...I believe DH is gone.
I’d have a hard time saying “no” to 3 million dollars twice.
3 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote:Harris will go where Cox goes.
Can prevent that on a NLOI release
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

theblueram wrote:
You are just jumping the gun on this. A coach has no control over recruits who signed an NLOI. The school does. Only the school can release a recruit and can put conditions on the release.
I get that but we've all seen times where recruits transfer to where the new coach is. Anyways, don't need to worry about for another day or so anyhow
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
UCONN >> Rutgers
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

VCUDevDog wrote:
theblueram wrote:
VCUDevDog wrote:Hope this isnt true . But if it is its likely that recruits will follow. This is the time for you the fans to rally around the recruits. Remind them that URI is more than 1 man. When Will Wade left us last year VCU fans bombarded recruits via twitter telling them to stay. We ended up keeping 3 of the 5 incoming. I think a lot of that had to do with the amount of attention fans showed. You will survive this.
The recruits signed an NLOI. There are conditions that can be put on them to release a player.
Those letter of intents mean nothing if the coach leave and the recruit want to leave. Rarely do schools keep players that want a release after the recruiting coach leaves. Its not fair to the recruit. Trust me, If VCU couldve held on to some of the kids who we signed we would be a top 25 program.
Not saying you don't give the release, but there are terms that should be put on it. Like no coaches schools.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
If he leaves its because he had no intention of building this into some gonzaga of the east. I'll give him a thanks, unless he takes recruits, then I'll give him a fuck you.
"unless he takes recruits...then...FU?" Really? The guy deserves thanks and good luck...that's it. Just a guess, but if he goes (and I don't think we really have any more insight into that than we did a month ago) and we brought in a 'name' coach...and that coach brought his recruits...most here would probably be okay with that...just a guess tho...?
Nope, it will be an FU if takes the recruits. Leaves URI in a tough spot. I can't be happy with that.
So...then...if any incoming coach brought his, would you say 'no, we don't want those' ?
(Kinda sounds like a moot point anyway....?)
0 x
VCUDevDog
Jim Eitner

If the coach leaves. An the recruit wants out of thr NLOI . Usually the school releases them. No one wants a player who doesn't want to play for them. On the positive side that gives the new coach a chance to recruit his own players that matches his philosophy.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

We couldn’t pay what Rutgers was offering either. Let’s settle down until we hear final news. We should all be veterans with this stuff by now. Not our first rodeo.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NJ03 wrote:
We couldn’t pay what Rutgers was offering either. Let’s settle down until we hear final news. We should all be veterans with this stuff by now. Not our first rodeo.
Whatever helps you sleep. This one is different on so many levels.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
So...then...if any incoming coach brought his, would you say 'no, we don't want those' ?
Nope, would welcome them with open arms. I only care about this program. No other program.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

You never want to be holding an 18 year old kid hostage for an NLOI.

Kinda crazy DH met with both Pitt and Uconn today. Thats a lot of work less than 48 hours after Saturday.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

EVERYBODY BREATHE

This thread has reached true cuckoo for cocoa puffs status. I can't say I blame anyone here for freaking out, it's a very fucking stressful thing we've got going on but I think TP and BM have the right idea - donate what you can, renew tickets, drop a line to Dan, Thorr and Dooley and try not to let it eat you up. That's all you can do to help, and if it doesn't work and he jumps anyways you will have done us good for the future.

Stay off Twitter if you can. I have to say I'm kind of surprised at the general glee of UConn fans taunting Rhody and lording "it" over us (despite there being nothing close to an official "it" and their insistence that we are peons beneath their notice). It's not a great look, especially if Dan sticks around or chooses a better destination...by which I also mean sticking around 8-) . There have been precious few facts and lots of typical social media "telephone" and echo chamber bullshit. You can't stop it happening by inflicting all that garbage on yourself.

He may stay, he may go, but we know who DH is and has been the whole time: a high character guy who surrounds himself with high character people and has done immeasurable good for this program, university and community. That ain't changing because some Huskies fans online are dicks, and a few sportswriters have a slow newsday.
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Nope, would welcome them with open arms. I only care about this program. No other program.
And before you say it. It's completely irrational and hypocritical and I don't care.
1 x
VCUDevDog
Jim Eitner

You all will be fine. It sucks for sure. But the fans mean a lot more than a coach. Hurley is a great coach but URI was here before he came and will be here long after he is gone. You all have a foundation to build on. I think you can do what Buffalo did this year , next year.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

VCUDevDog wrote:If the coach leaves. An the recruit wants out of thr NLOI . Usually the school releases them. No one wants a player who doesn't want to play for them. On the positive side that gives the new coach a chance to recruit his own players that matches his philosophy.
OK 5 post Charlie.
3 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

When a coach goes, I 100% support giving the recruit's a chance to change their mind. These are kids after-all, most of whom will not play basketball professionally, yet will be expected to essentially be a professional athlete for the next 4 years.
6 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I am still worried about Louisville primarily.

Squeaky clean DH is exactly what they need and they can pay whatever Dan’s agent demands. If jumping for money grab and fame well there it is.

After seeing Dan’s growth over the last 2 seasons he’s my choice over Mack and it ain’t close.

The good side of my worry is respectfully our players and recruits likely not good enough to steal for the Cardinals.

Agree it would be painful to have our ex coach so close. I still ain’t buying the uConn thing anyway.

It’s possibly Dan’s last stand to get promises from Rhody about getting all the tools he feels he needs to be Gonzaga. Let’s hope admin seizes the moment!

Go Rhody!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

PS on today's CBS sports podcast, before these reports even came out, Gary Parish and Matt Norlander both said they thought Hurley had coached his last game at URI.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
You are just jumping the gun on this. A coach has no control over recruits who signed an NLOI. The school does. Only the school can release a recruit and can put conditions on the release.
I get that but we've all seen times where recruits transfer to where the new coach is. Anyways, don't need to worry about for another day or so anyhow
A school can release a player from his LOI, but can't put conditions on the release. It's all or nothing, and the school always releases the player because if you don't, it's used against you in recruiting.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rome wasn't built in a day, what we can offer may be close to maxed out now, but if we keep on this trajectory in another 3-5 years we should be in a better position to provide substantoially more. Does he want to continue to build the house here and reap the rewards as they become available or does he want a turnkey program?...reminds me of that show my wife used to watch on HGTV Love it or List it. To me its always been a more rewarding feeling to build something rather than buy or outsource it.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can say one thing. Every last dime of the NCAA credits better be on the table, because this school hasn't seen any since 1999.
2 x
NickA
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NickA »

Well, can't hurt, I'm going to renew my four seats tonight.
2 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

If he leaves just don’t hire Jerry D.
1 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

I think let Dan Go. Cox is the guy we want. Dan is gonna go, if not now soon Take the 1.5 mil we get on the buy out. sink it into the facility. We wait a year we may lose both. Allthese young players are from Cox. Hes the guy I want, good luck Dan, Thank You. But truth is we are just a step in his ladder. Cox and staff we lead us to more NCAA's he recruits the best talent we get the best facilities and we are all set for along time.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kingston wrote:I think let Dan Go. Cox is the guy we want. Dan is gonna go, if not now soon Take the 1.5 mil we get on the buy out. sink it into the facility. We wait a year we may lose both. Allthese young players are from Cox. Hes the guy I want, good luck Dan, Thank You. But truth is we are just a step in his ladder. Cox and staff we lead us to more NCAA's he recruits the best talent we get the best facilities and we are all set for along time.
“Let Dan go.”

Yea dude you can go take a hike.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:You never want to be holding an 18 year old kid hostage for an NLOI.

Kinda crazy DH met with both Pitt and Uconn today. Thats a lot of work less than 48 hours after Saturday.
Lol he did say he was taking ONE day to hibernate...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bigsnoop wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
A school can release a player from his LOI, but can't put conditions on the release. It's all or nothing, and the school always releases the player because if you don't, it's used against you in recruiting.
This is just untrue
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

So he's finding out what his market value is before talking to thorr and co. that's responsible and what happens every year. Those who said this was a done deal and it was decided weeks ago are just wrong so there will be no gloating on your part, if he stays, if he goes, he gives Rhody a chance to keep him as most of the fans that have paid attention to DH from the beginning knew all along.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
mstyles22
Kenny Green

More speculation so skip if you’re tired of the madness, BUT...

- Why would Dan take the UConn job so soon if those reports were indeed true?
- What if Willard leaves Seton Hall for Pitt and that job opens up? I bet Dan would hypothetically kick himself as SHU seems like the ideal gig for him in a million ways that UConn isn’t.

This is all madness, but I thought that scenario was worth mentioning.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Crazy that this forum just set a record for most users online at one time!
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

How about Tom Ryan securing his legacy at URI by stepping in and helping keep Hurley?
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bottom line, Dan may not end up at UCONN or Pitt, but he’s gone this off-season if Louisville, Xavier and/or SHU open up.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

OMG. Seton Hall?! No. Just no.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

sf2010 wrote:Crazy that this forum just set a record for most users online at one time!
finally broke that record from Terrell signing I believe
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote:So we’ll know by Wednesday.
I will take the OVER on both 'by Wednesday' and 60+ pages by Thursday
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

DC_Rams wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote:Over time it will become common knowledge that this deal was brokered weeks ago. I know many people don't want to hear this but UCONN is big time and would never have done all this without a plan in place. Unlike us who are looking for another diamond in the rough. I do hope we are extending our search beyond David Cox.
We need to hand the reigns over to Cox or we will risk losing every recruit he’s brought in, to include Jeff and Fatts. Be careful what you wish for, Cox is our guy and he deserves the shot.
Amen DC Rams!
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

OK after a couple deep breaths and more Internet hunting I think we are still strongly in play here.

Pitt and uConn are slight upgrades sure. No question in my mind there is bigger money and better jobs out there this season. Louisville, uofA, Xavier, Seton Hall others could open up.

Dan’s talked to two schools and is running back to Thorr?

We are in play.

Pony up Rhody and get the thing done.

Think big, we do (here on KeaneyBlue)
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

sf2010 wrote:Crazy that this forum just set a record for most users online at one time!
Unfortunately I assume schadenfreude has something to do with that record...
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Running Ram wrote:How about Tom Ryan securing his legacy at URI by stepping in and helping keep Hurley?
How about Tony Horton even acknowledging to his millions of social media followers and disciples that he’s a URI alum and proud of the hoops team?

Gotta get some positive publicity while we can, haha
Last edited by mstyles22 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote:Over time it will become common knowledge that this deal was brokered weeks ago. I know many people don't want to hear this but UCONN is big time and would never have done all this without a plan in place. Unlike us who are looking for another diamond in the rough. I do hope we are extending our search beyond David Cox.
We need to hand the reigns over to Cox or we will risk losing every recruit he’s brought in, to include Jeff and Fatts. Be careful what you wish for, Cox is our guy and he deserves the shot.
Amen DC Rams!
We are pretty experienced at giving an assistant the top job to keep a player. Lamar Odom to be specific. I would highly doubt the reason to sign an assistant as Head Coach would be based on current recruits alone.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Dcram, give it a rest. We get it you think Dan’s gone and you want Cox to get the gig. But this Cox waterboy thing over and over is getting more annoying than a rombone sky is falling over and over.

GO RHODY!
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

NickA wrote:Well, can't hurt, I'm going to renew my four seats tonight.
Oh I am renewing no matter what. The Rhody Rams are my team.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

twisted3829 wrote:
finally broke that record from Terrell signing I believe

Nope it was the Oregon game but we have destroyed that this evening with Husky and Panther nations reading everything posted.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

a little OT on new member request tonight?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

brady1 wrote:Dcram, give it a rest. We get it you think Dan’s gone and you want Cox to get the gig. But this Cox waterboy thing over and over is getting more annoying than a rombone sky is falling over and over.

GO RHODY!
Glad I got your attention. I am vying to keep the band together and sharing my opinion like the rest of the board. You don’t like it? GFY...
1 x