The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I found a letter I received.

Online donation:
Go to urifoundation.org and under the gift amount click on “list of Giving Opportunities”.
Page down to find URI Athletics and check on Men’s Basketball.

You can make a donation over the phone at 401-874-2389.
You can mail in a donation to URI Athletics Development, 3 Keaney Rd, Kingston, RI 02881
Make checks payable to URI Foundation
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think everyone should send a donation for $20.18 just to say thanks for a great year.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:I think everyone should send a donation for $20.18 just to say thanks for a great year.
Or $201.80 :D
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Donate whatever you can. Whatever happens, they're going to need it.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:I think everyone should send a donation for $20.18 just to say thanks for a great year.
Or $201.80 :D
Sure, of course. But with the hundreds on this board, $20.18 should be doable for everyone. Those who can do give more. (and those hundreds should hopefully turn into thousands).
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody83 wrote:I found a letter I received.

Online donation:
Go to urifoundation.org and under the gift amount click on “list of Giving Opportunities”.
Page down to find URI Athletics and check on Men’s Basketball.

You can make a donation over the phone at 401-874-2389.
You can mail in a donation to URI Athletics Development, 3 Keaney Rd, Kingston, RI 02881
Make checks payable to URI Foundation
.....the important thing is to designate the donation going Men’s Basketball, just donating to the Foundation does mean it goes to hoops......a thing others I have encountered did not know...
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

My $20.18 is in. It's a small amount but will send a message to the school of our support.
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

theblueram wrote:My $20.18 is in. It's a small amount but will send a message to the school of our support.
Terrific idea! My $20.18 is in. Let's make a statement. #2018
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

haha, I remember back in 1998, we all donated $19.98 to the basketball program. Seems like not too long ago
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Hah, I donated 20.17 and my father says hes gonna donate 9717 was those were his fav years..,. he's normally a massive cheapstake so that's huge for him..
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Tomorrow’s ProJo will have a Kmac column saying:
“Now we'll see if this marriage can last. A little more money, plus some program enhancements, will keep Hurley in town as long as a top-20 power doesn't enter the picture. That's probably not Connecticut, and certainly isn't Pittsburgh. If a Louisville calls, however, all bets are off.”
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well I think if Louisville job opens I think there will be a couple of candidates that they go for that have a better resume than DH
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

The Louisville job is jumping into a fire with the pending NCAA and FBI investigations.
1 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ right... at least w/Pitt, you have a clean slate and expansion draft...seems to have worked well for the Vegas Knights....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There is a great chance Pitt will go 2 straight seasons now without a conference win !!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

My massive donation of $20.18 has been sent!

If just 100,000 of us give the same, we'll be able to give Dan the $2 million raise he needs to stay here for another year!!

:P
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I can’t believe it takes something like this for people to donate.

This is the whole reason we’ve struggled for this long as a program.

Say Dan does leave...does this mean you stop donating then?

Expect to be right back in the Baron zone.

We couldn’t buy out a bad coach because we didn’t have the money. Thankfully we got a good coach to help us win and bring in money, but this is what Dan talks about...commitment to being a good basketball program by EVERYBODY.

I get it if you’re not like me and didn’t start giving money the second we fired Baron (I started working in 2010 but refused to support until we fired CFL)- but if you loved this program, regardless of the coach...and $20 a year is what you’re willing to give after 6 years of a heavy uplift...we’re never going to sustain success as a fan base.

Dan wants everyone - the school, the fans, the admins - to fully commit.

I love the idea of everyone giving even a little bit, every little bit helps.

But you can pay monthly. You can pay weekly. You can pay however works...athletics is flexible. You might even have a company match.

$20.18 is a nice, kitschy story - but what’s that tell athletics and Dan for next year if he stays and we do well - an extra $.01 will come in? That’s the support we’re willing to give?

The opinions on this board and the expectations of this fan base are way out of whack with a $20.18 donation.

$20.18 per month? That’s more like it. $20.18 per week? Now we can really talk about goals.

I really don’t mean to disparage anyone for the donation, it’s much better than the nothing that most give and it is definitely appreciated (plus everyone’s financial situation)...but we need to face the realities of this.

If we want the level of program Dan wants, it takes money.

Charter flights for recruiting, charter flights for games, coach salaries, practice facilities, etc, etc, etc - it’s not cheap.

Again, I LOVE that this run is inspiring people to finally open up their wallets - i just hope that it doesn’t take the best 2 seasons in 2 decades to pull $20 from the fans.

This is the point where everyone needs to choose what kind of a program we want to have. I really hope it’s worth a lot to everyone.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Hurley were to go to UConn, it would not be because of the AAC. It is not a conference that will offer a better path than the A-10 to the NCAA Tournament or open the door to top recruits.

In a results oriented business, it is similar to the A-10. Despite the AAC adding Wichita State to improve it, the league got as many bids (3), wins (2), and earned units (5) as the A-10 did (in its weakest season in many years) his year. The AAC, since its inception five seasons ago (2013-14), actually trails the A-10 in teams sent to the NCAA Tournament (15 vs 18) and units earned (27 vs 29). The A-10 in fact for these five years has never sent less than three team to the tourney. The AAC on the other hand sent just two teams twice.

The allure of UConn is therefore not its conference. The conference may actually be a concern with its unstable membership, lack of rivalries, and extensive required long distance. UConn's attraction is about its great history in the last 30 years, its facilities, its large potential fan following, the salary, and its overall spending on the program.

There is no doubt that overall, UConn is a better job than URI. The question is by what degree and is is worth the risk/reward. It can offer more pay and might be easier to recruit to given its facilities and spending. It however offers a similar path (compred to URI/A-10) to the NCAA via its conference membership. The past glories of UConn also offer more challenges as any coach will have to meet the high expectations of its fan base and always be compared to the spectre of a legendary coach (Calhoun) who still resides in the state and maintains visibility.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Practice facilities. UConn's gameday facilities are worse than the Ryan Center with no plans for them to be upgraded. Also, UConn's spending on the program has already crested and will be falling. CT's budget is a mess, they're chopping UConn's funding, UConn is losing their Big East money, last year was the last year they received money from their 3rd championship, their last championship money runs out in 2020, and their boosters don't have big pockets as evidenced by their needing to admit to NCAA violations while being investigated in order to fire their legendary ex-player.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

This article is not written by anyone with facts or knowledge of the situation. More baseless speculation.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
This article is not written by anyone with facts or knowledge of the situation. More baseless speculation.
haha, yup.

so 2 years ago before he had built us to where we are at now, and when he was making less money, he turns down $3 mill a year to go to Rutgers, a B1G job.

but now he's gonna walk away from a far better situation here to go to a worse situation than what he turned down...for the same $$
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Disano just tweeted a great note about the value of NCAA runs and what it does to uplift an entire school. Everyone should hop on that tweet, re-tweet and tag Raimondo. This week all of Rhody nation needs to use social media to be heard, let them know how much we value this program, and let's make sure the administration, the politicians and our coach know we are all ready to do whatever it takes to keep this thing going. Social media is a great catalyst for grassroots movements, get on there and get loud. Everyone!
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
haha, yup.

so 2 years ago before he had built us to where we are at now, and when he was making less money, he turns down $3 mill a year to go to Rutgers, a B1G job.

but now he's gonna walk away from a far better situation here to go to a worse situation than what he turned down...for the same $$
Let’s not be crazy - UConn is a better job than Rutgers. I do not think it is appreciably better than URI. They have a larger fan base right now, but they are such fair weather fans. Anything less than a National Title and they aren’t coming to the games. Can’t get the fans to half the conference games (worse than the A10 slate by far as they have no rivals in the league). I would not leave for UConn without a solid commitment that they will be in the Big10 or Big East. Both of which aren’t happening anytime soon.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Presently I am only worried about Louisville

That would be Monopoly money

Personally, thinking as a local and an alum I think HC at URI at this point in time is a dream job with the sky as the limit provided URI continues to invest the resources.

We should have this all resolved by 4/15.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Louisville is a cesspool and chockfull of cash.

If I am Louisville I hire Buzz Williams. Or somebody from a program a tier below. It would send a message if they hired from another P5 that wasn't bottom of the barrel. Like the Florida coach or something along those lines.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Presently I am only worried about Louisville

That would be Monopoly money

Personally, thinking as a local and an alum I think HC at URI at this point in time is a dream job with the sky as the limit provided URI continues to invest the resources.

We should have this all resolved by 4/15.
I've lived in Louisville for 2 years. It sucks. Moving to Nashville on Wednesday.

I'm more worried about who Louisville hires (Mack?) and not the actual opening itself.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote:
Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy’s reply to the story:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

steviep123 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

That's a parody account...
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

URI_05 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

That's a parody account...
Damn it. Sorry. I’m usually better than that.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Blue Man wrote:I can’t believe it takes something like this for people to donate.

We couldn’t buy out a bad coach because we didn’t have the money. Thankfully we got a good coach to help us win and bring in money, but this is what Dan talks about...commitment to being a good basketball program by EVERYBODY.

I get it if you’re not like me and didn’t start giving money the second we fired Baron (I started working in 2010 but refused to support until we fired CFL)- but if you loved this program, regardless of the coach...and $20 a year is what you’re willing to give after 6 years of a heavy uplift...we’re never going to sustain success as a fan base.

But you can pay monthly. You can pay weekly. You can pay however works...athletics is flexible. You might even have a company match.

$20.18 is a nice, kitschy story - but what’s that tell athletics and Dan for next year if he stays and we do well - an extra $.01 will come in? That’s the support we’re willing to give?

The opinions on this board and the expectations of this fan base are way out of whack with a $20.18 donation.

$20.18 per month? That’s more like it. $20.18 per week? Now we can really talk about goals.

I really don’t mean to disparage anyone for the donation, it’s much better than the nothing that most give and it is definitely appreciated (plus everyone’s financial situation)...but we need to face the realities of this.

Charter flights for recruiting, charter flights for games, coach salaries, practice facilities, etc, etc, etc - it’s not cheap.

Again, I LOVE that this run is inspiring people to finally open up their wallets - i just hope that it doesn’t take the best 2 seasons in 2 decades to pull $20 from the fans.

This is the point where everyone needs to choose what kind of a program we want to have. I really hope it’s worth a lot to everyone.
Hi Blueman,

Met you in Brooklyn, hope your doing well and agree this board goes way overboard many times. I was very proud of this team this year.....Nothing wrong with your post here but I think what your forgetting is that these $20 donations are added on to (in my case anyway) the 10 games me, my wife and in a few cases my grand kids went to this year. The trip down to Brooklyn for both games and the $$ spent at the games, especially buying Rhody gear for us and the kids. That comes to well over $1000 this year. Plan on doing the same next year whomever the coach is (Hawaii is not in my price range though). I'm not an alum but just born and raised in RI now living in Mass, growing up liking Jack Kraft's teams instead of PC. I can do the $20 now and will. Maybe in 6 months can throw another $50 more while getting my tickets but while others might be able to make that $20/week donation (and please do if you can) I'll be doing what I can with what I got and hope Dan stays. If not I think they should promote coach Cox and we can keep things moving in the same direction. With everyone doing what they can (whatever that is) we can show our love for this team, coach and University.
5 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And Basketball is King at Xavier. I could believe that as far as stepping into a great situation and being the guy to get Xavier to the Final Four.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There’s some fun family history with Xavier, too.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody09 wrote:
This is the time of year where anyone and everyone can claim they are close to Hurley...it’s all BS until it’s not.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody09 wrote:
Not that this would mean anything and I'm just a fan with zero inside knowledge, who is just making an observation. You may recall there was talk of Xavier trying to get Thorr Bjorn to come there from here as AD and Thorr turned it down. Of course, Thorr is a football guy and I don't think X has football.

Either way, as someone else said, they are all just rumors until they are not.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

wgracie99 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I can’t believe it takes something like this for people to donate.

Hi Blueman,

Met you in Brooklyn, hope your doing well and agree this board goes way overboard many times. I was very proud of this team this year.....Nothing wrong with your post here but I think what your forgetting is that these $20 donations are added on to (in my case anyway) the 10 games me, my wife and in a few cases my grand kids went to this year. The trip down to Brooklyn for both games and the $$ spent at the games, especially buying Rhody gear for us and the kids. That comes to well over $1000 this year. Plan on doing the same next year whomever the coach is (Hawaii is not in my price range though). I'm not an alum but just born and raised in RI now living in Mass, growing up liking Jack Kraft's teams instead of PC. I can do the $20 now and will. Maybe in 6 months can throw another $50 more while getting my tickets but while others might be able to make that $20/week donation (and please do if you can) I'll be doing what I can with what I got and hope Dan stays. If not I think they should promote coach Cox and we can keep things moving in the same direction. With everyone doing what they can (whatever that is) we can show our love for this team, coach and University.
I think these are both important points.

Blueman's idea that fans shouldn't just wait until they're worried the coach is going to leave to make a donation is valid. I think the program would raise a lot more money if the people that can donate and want to donate actually remembered to donate. Some of that is on them for not proactively soliciting the donations on an ongoing basis, saving it for specific funding drives or "giving day" or what have you. I've donated money pretty consistently - not Tom Ryan money, but I do what I can - and I've never had someone from athletics call me unsolicited, shoot the shit with me for a few minutes, give me an update on how they see things going and what they're working on and then asking me if I can chip in X amount or whatever I can. There's no reason they aren't doing that. If they did, people would give them money. But that aside, don't wait for them to call you or have a campaign, if you can afford to give and want the program to do well, go online or call them and set something up.

And relatedly, to wgracie's point, it doesn't have to be a big number. All of it adds up and it all counts. Give what you can this time, trust me it won't go unused. More importantly, you form the habit of giving - you start budgeting for it, you know how to navigate the website or who to call in athletics to make your gift, you get an appreciation for the feeling of being a stakeholder in the program, etc. And yes, there are a variety ways to support the program - buying tickets, donating money, buying merch on campus, watching or listening to games on TV/radio, its all part of the package and it is all appreciated. But there is no doubt that the most direct and impactful way to support the program is writing a check to the basketball fund. Doesn't have to be for a million dollars.
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

We are on to Cincinnati.

I don't feel like hypothetically losing URI's coach to Xavier today. Does this count as a loss? Stack it on top of all those losses 10 years ago, when every time I thought URI turned a corner and got kicked back down to the NIT by Xavier.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just hope Dan isn't onto Cincinnati lol

Wait...isn't he a Bengals fan??? Oh man this has legs....
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Not too relevant, but I used to always root for X in the tourney, and would have continued to even though they left the A10 to join the new Big East, until Chris Mack opened his trap and started bitching about the new BE being so much stronger than the A10 one year after he left. This was in 2014 when the A10 got 6 bids. He was basically saying that the new Big East (in it's first year) was far superior than the A10 (a league he just left) to try to pump up the Big East. I didn't have a problem with him trying to rep his conference, but I thought it was completely classless they way he tried to rip the A10 in the process. Dayton was an 11 seed going to the elite 8 that year. Unfortunately, I can't find any direct quotes, but it was very condescending. I will never root for any Chris Mack led team, be it Xavier or elsewhere again. Though if the above comments on Hurley holding out for X are true, I will root for Mack to be there forever.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wouldn't these coaching moves happen soon?
0 x
GO RAMS
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Alright, take a step back there and realize we're talking about donating to a college basketball program and not a charity...
7 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Wouldn't these coaching moves happen soon?
I would think so. If Dan leaves I presume Cox is the front runner. But I’m still confident it won’t come to that.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not Mike Powell wrote:

Alright, take a step back there and realize we're talking about donating to a college basketball program and not a charity...
A) By tax laws it's a charity.

B) Since you're posting on this board I would assume you can understand the benefits to the university as a whole if this basketball program is consistently good and making deep runs into March. Extrapolate what is donated ten fold for the benefits that come back each NCAA credit we attain. Beyond the money paid by the NCAA - the exposure, branding, and free advertising revenue that come with it equals more applications. More applications means we can take higher and more qualified students into the University. The more of those students that come from out of state, the more revenue they bring in by paying out-of-state tuition.

C) If you don't care about seeing a good basketball program, why are you posting on this message board? If you do care about seeing a good basketball program, donations are what it takes. Don't shoot the messenger.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Why would Dan ever contemplate Xavier? His is loyal to the coaching fraternity. I don’t think he would ever consider/talk to someone about being interested in a job that isn’t open. It would be total disrespect to coach Mack.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Not Mike Powell wrote:

Yeah bman, if I had $20.18 a week to donate it wouldn't be on a college basketball program, I donate by buying Rhody shwag, sweatshirts and the like and by attending as many games as I can afford to attend. Cut the crap with the making people of moderate means feel guilty about not donating to an institution that generates enough money to feed several hungry villages.

If URI's brass want this they will do what it takes to keep it going, if they want another flash in the pan they will break our hearts again. The results are starting to roll in and I'm sure revenue and exposure are way up due to the success of the MBB program. Brass can either send up the white flag and let DH go or they can raise the middle finger salute to the college basketball world and let them know DH will be staying here for a long time. It's up to the folks at a much higher pay grade than me at this point.
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

On top of the > $1000 per month I pay for my student loans to URI its tough to find money to donate. My donation is typically in the form of tickets, food at the venue and merchandise. My Christmas gifts for my family almost always include some type of Rhody swag. :)
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Little Penny back on the national stage! Oh no, but wait it is in the AAC~>!>???
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Running Ram wrote:
Not Mike Powell wrote:

Yeah bman, if I had $20.18 a week to donate it wouldn't be on a college basketball program, I donate by buying Rhody shwag, sweatshirts and the like and by attending as many games as I can afford to attend. Cut the crap with the making people of moderate means feel guilty about not donating to an institution that generates enough money to feed several hungry villages.

If URI's brass want this they will do what it takes to keep it going, if they want another flash in the pan they will break our hearts again. The results are starting to roll in and I'm sure revenue and exposure are way up due to the success of the MBB program. Brass can either send up the white flag and let DH go or they can raise the middle finger salute to the college basketball world and let them know DH will be staying here for a long time. It's up to the folks at a much higher pay grade than me at this point.
I'm sorry if it got misconstrued that I'm asking everyone to give $1000 a year. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty about what they can/cannot donate. Not sure I wrote that anywhere, so I apologize if you are taking it that way. I am attempting to provide context and information that it seems like a lot of posters on here do know or have access to.

It's not up to URI's brass, it's up to the state because the state controls and approves the budget. Not Dooley. Not URI brass. The only money that can be guaranteed to go to athletics is what they generate in season and the student fees and donations. Considering everyone's feelings on the state's treatment of this university; how do you think those budget talks go? The University's principle goal is to educate students, not play basketball. That's true of any university. It's donors who contribute to athletic success.

I assume that everyone on this board wants to see a top tier basketball program. Anyone who has worked in college athletics for more than a week can tell you that the standings in a conference reflect a direct correlation between winning and the operating budget for their teams.

Before Hurley we were bottom third in the conference in donations. Consequently so were our end of year results. Even with the pushes and strides we've made in the past few years, we're still not in the top 4.

I'm just trying to point out something that people may not get.

OF COURSE every little thing counts. If everyone who attended a home, road, or neutral game this year gave $20.18 it would be like 2 NCAA credits on their own. It would be incredible. If everyone who donated nothing gave even $5 - that would solve our money problems. Literally ANYTHING helps.

If my posts have been read as "donate $1000/year or you're a dick" I'm sorry. That wasn't my intent at all. I am merely trying to educate people on the new reality of collegiate sports post-2000. Based the few posts of flak I'm getting for suggesting we need to do more as a fan base financially to align with our end-of-season goals, there are some who may not be in the know.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL