3/17 | Duke Blue Devils | 2:40PM | CBS (NCAA 2nd Rd.)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 3/17 | Duke Blue Devils | 2:40PM | CBS (NCAA 2nd Rd.)

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rhodysurf wrote:The worst draw possible. Oh well. Proud of this team and it was a year to remember
God I hate that will be the narrative. No problem with losing to a team littered with NBA guys but they lost this year to teams with really good guards. It was there to be had. Them wearing us down at the end with bigs like Bagley is OK. A beat down, though? The first three by Fatts with the ball going to Dowtin in the middle is exactly what we should have started with. You could have had an aircraft carrier in the middle.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

media timeout with 4:00 remaining

Duke 80, URI 57
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

November is a long time away........
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Wtf Clear the bench.
0 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

You gotta give the fans credit. They are certainly louder than the Duke fans.
2 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Final score

Duke 87, URI 62
Last edited by Native 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I was at senior night. Duke may be good but they are no St Joe's.
7 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Matchup nightmare. I think we all realized this was probably eventually going to happen. Still take my hat off to the entire team. Had a great year.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I hate Duke almost as much I hate that hideous, disgusting institution located in a former mental hospital.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Man was berry exposed today... Let's hope Harris is a major upgrade... 4 guard offense is good for stretches.. Need those big as u move on... 1 more with the last scholly please
5 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Link for the post game presser?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RFORTE wrote:Link for the post game presser?
https://youtu.be/lDnS4pkmzis
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Bagley and Carter were 14 for 16 from the floor. The other three starters were 11 for 29.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

The biggest challenge for this team will be in the next few weeks when we find out where Dan will be coaching next year.

I'm assuming its OK that we now discuss this topic since the game is over?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI Shooting percentages from the field, from three, and from the ft line nearly identical. Not particularly good from anywhere on the court when it is 39%.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Unless you win it all, every season ends with a loss. I hope our seniors remember how they made URI history. If we make it to the next level, I hope they remember they are the team that got us started. No regrets! Wait ‘til next year!!!!!
8 x
Slava Ukraini!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RFORTE wrote:Link for the post game presser?
Its on CBS Sports right now.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I think it was Koch that address the elephant in the room, how does this program go further?
Dan gave a really honest answer about the university has to basically put in more to stay at this level..

Open up those check books rhody!!
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Presser link?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Thanks.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

ram1980 wrote:Man was berry exposed today... Let's hope Harris is a major upgrade... 4 guard offense is good for stretches.. Need those big as u move on... 1 more with the last scholly please

Agreed. He was a great story this year but had a terrible game. I'd love to see CL and JH start together next year and get another big or two. We really need some size.
2 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

Rhody74 wrote:Unless you win it all, every season ends with a loss. I hope our seniors remember how they made URI history. If we make it to the next level, I hope they remember they are the team that got us started. No regrets! Wait ‘til next year!!!!!

I wonder if any of them play on the next level. EC and JT have a chance to be UDFAs or play in the D league a la Munford. The others may have a career ahead of them in Europe.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Tyson summed it up......Dan, stay with us.......Thanks
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ugh. Awful.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Hate to see it end like that, but tell me how many teams in the country would have stopped Bagley today? Their other bigs were active and skilled as well. They just towered over us. And knocking down threes as well. We worked hard but it just wasn't going to happen today. Still proud of them and what they accomplished!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

This team was built for Tuesday nights in January. Zero effort was offered toward the end. Thus the ending.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:This team was built for Tuesday nights in January. Zero effort was offered toward the end. Thus the ending.
What in the fuck are you talking about. We went up against a taller, longer and more athletic team. That's why we got the result we got.
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Duke has 7 losses. The bigs scored 35. What beat Uri was the deep ball and Uri not scoring.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Hurley looked like a beaten man in that presser. Completely drained. Here's to hoping Thorr and Dooley can get those investments under way to rejuvenate Dan.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Duke has 7 losses. The bigs scored 35. What beat Uri was the deep ball and Uri not scoring.

do you think their height, length and athleticism had anything to do with our not scoring?
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My issue was we stood around and went one on one most of the time. Where did sharing the ball go?

We also put very little pressure on them defensively. If we're not active on both ends we just don't play very well.

With their size I guess it wouldn't have mattered much I guess....and if we shot FT's well we would have still lost by 15-20....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Duke that played today is a Final Four team.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

:(
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

From a matchup standpoint that was easily the most formidable opponent we have faced in 30+ years watching the Rams. Their size was ridiculous. They played an extended 2-3 zone which basically was a 4-1 zone with a 6’11 guy on one of the wings and another 6’11 guy under the hoop. Literally the worst matchup for us out of any of the other 64 teams, maybe Purdue comes in 2nd. Bagley will be the #1 pick in the draft. As i said earlier forget Syracuse in 88 or Kansas in 98, we matched up fine with both of them. This was on another level. Berry was athletically intimidated and rushed every shot fearing he would get blocked. Even if we played a perfect game, and they had a C level effort, we probably still lose by double digits.

All that said a great season and I hope our admins do everything possible to keep the program builder in Kingston. GBG probably thinks we are better off with Pat Skerry, given he is a PC fan, and has been wrong about basically everything since Day 1.
7 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Agree, Duke was the best team I’ve seen. Shooters, size, defense. Bad matchup for anyone the way they are playing.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If JT were still playing at a high level offensivley it would have been a little different I think.

They were passing the ball extremely well and we just were not making shots.
Berry being unable to convert early kept us from going inside and we became very one dimensional and EC was the only guy trying anything with confidence.

Bad matchup for us.

Still love the shit out of EC, JT, JG, Stan and Dre.
They gave it their all. Great group of guys. They have laid the foundation.
Just need dan to stay so we can develop the next class :)
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The collapse at the end of the season really cost us as we got about the worst matchup possible in Duke

Berry really exposed out there

Looking forward to next year
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Little guys get tired. Big guys stay big.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

You can't teach length.

GROW RHODY!!!!

:mrgreen:
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I've been to 3 URI-Duke NCAA tournament games now........didn't think we had much of a chance in this last one......we lost by 1 point in the previous two.....

Although Duke played like pros today I felt that this was a matchup nightmare for us.....you could have thrown a dart at the bracket and every team it would have landed on except Duke we could have competed with in my opinion......we are just too small and they are too tall and talented....we needed to play a perfect game and they needed an off-day...we got the opposite....

Maybe because it was a blowout early.....but the Duke fans were rather subdued.....not a lot of noise from them throughout the game.....

The interior defense of Duke severely impacted Andre Berry......I felt bad that fans watching him for the first time didn't get to see his skills....the defense also affected drives to the basket by JT, EC, and Stanford......

In spite of all this......it was a great 4 days in Pittsburgh for me.....
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Dang, I wrote a long message and took too long and was logged out and lost all of it. Will try again but sure will not be the same.

Not going to lie, this game was a disappointment. I just wished we had gone down playing a lot better. As Dan said, the seniors deserved to go out with a little more honor than that game.

It was a brutal match up for us based on the way we play. Duke has two very good big guys surrounded by good shooters and they play zone with length all over. We struggle with zones. And this is not meant to be a criticism, but a fact; we never change defenses or players regardless of who we are playing. We play an aggressive man to man style that works great when playing teams in the A10 or other teams with similar athleticism. But when you are playing teams that have superior size and athleticism such as yesterday, I think you need to change things up, throw in some zone, half court traps, full court press. You have to get a little gimmicky and show them different looks.

Would have not changed the outcome, but maybe would have been a little more competitive.

And as Rod (Rest in Peace) used to say, it is hard to win in the NCAA without size. The lack of development of Ryan Preston, Mike Laysard or Tertsea really showed in the NCAA tourney. We got pounded on the glass by Oklahoma and we saw what happened against Duke.

Anyhow, any season that ends in the NCAA tournament is a successful season. I want to thank the seniors for a great year and for Coach Hurley for changing the culture of URI. But Dan, Uconn really? God I hope not, I cannot stand that school and I do not think it is a great job by any means in today’s basketball world.

Uconn is a geographic outlier in the AAC (teams in Texas, Kansas, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Oklahoma) and the travel is brutal. I think recruiting to Uconn in that conference will be very difficult. If you are a kid in Washington, DC (Dan’s current recruiting hot bed), what is the appeal of playing at Uconn? There are no games that family and friends can easily drive to (other than Temple). Contrast that with the A-10, where you have GW, George Mason, VCU, Richmond, St. Joes and LaSalle where they can drive to.

And I think it is a tough job. The fans have unrealistic expectations and you will always be compared to Jim Calhoun. If you are not playing deep into March, get ready for plenty of criticism. Uconn was a national player when they had a generational coach. UMass when they also had a generational coach in John Calipari was also a national player. The difference is that Calipari did not stay 25 years.

And there will be no loyalty. Look at what they just did to one of their all-time great players. I know Tom Moore is whispering sweet nothings in your ear about Uconn, but that was in a different conference, in a different time with a hall of fame coach.

And this will sound self-serving, but I really do not think it is a good career move for you. You have already elevated URI’s profile and have the best recruiting class coming in that you ever had at URI. Combine that with 3 very good returning players, and I think this will be a quick rebuild. Next year, there will be some growing pains early, but would expect by March that you would be a good team. And the following three years, you are talking about some really good teams, like all time Rhode Island great teams.

So I do not buy this is your best time to be leaving and you may not have another chance. If it was an upper tier P5 job, then I could see it. Totally understand the appeal of that. If you stay, I think you will have the opportunity to do that if that is what you desire. Or maybe you find out that you make a couple of sweet sixteen’s at Rhode Island and you decide you can meet your goals at Rhode Island and decide to stay. And then you become basketball royalty in this state.

And do not buy the Big East is taking Uconn back talk. Not happening. And the invite is coming from the Big 12. Please. I would argue that Uconn in the AAC is a tougher job than URI in the A10, based on the expectations and the geographic outlier they are in the conference. Dan, think this through, there will be better jobs for you in the future than this UConn job.

Go Rhody! You have given me considerable joy this year in watching you play and for that I am thankful.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea the game started extremely slow. It got away from us and then that was it. Fun year.

There was a clear split on the court over who was confident and who was not. They had zero respect for us. So they shot like it was an empty gym. We were obviously feeling different and it resulted in a lot of missed opportunities. There is an art to playing with and beating top 10/15 teams.

Jared Terrell over 4 years I always thought he struggled on offense when he caught the ball standing straight up 30 feet from the basket. He basically did that for the past three weeks. He is a very strong scorer when he catches the ball with purpose in an athletic position and within the distance that he is a threat to score.

Next year will be fun.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Hope this isn’t true:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I hope people understand that this Duke team is not just really tall, they start four lottery picks (all #1 players at their positions in the 2017 class) and five 1st round draft choices. The two guys who actually get any kind of real minutes off the bench were the #14 and #39 recruits in the country in 2016. When we put Dadika and Tertsea in the game, they emptied their bench, too...with a 4 star, top-100 player in O’Connell and three 3 star players in Robinson, Goldwire and White.

Yes, Duke has lost seven games this year, but I can guarantee you that they did not take any of those seven games as seriously as they took this game on Saturday. If that team doesn’t win the national championship, it’s because they messed something up. Not only is that the most talented team in college basketball by a wide margin, that team could probably make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. They have so many five star recruits that they can’t start all of them. It’s a borderline joke.

So yes, just on paper looking at their heights they were always going to be a problem matchup but don’t lose sight of the fact that it was that AND they have more future NBA players coming off their bench than we have on our roster. Nothing to be ashamed of if you’re URI. Tough draw and tough to end the careers of the five seniors in a game you weren’t even competitive in, but I don’t think it was due to a lack of effort or unforced poor play.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Just read up on this, but Duke's defensive efficiency rating on kenpom was ranked over 100 into January... Since utilizing their zone predominantly since then ultimately catapulted them to top 10 by the end of the season. Defense is clicking.
0 x