The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

C'mon Ace, you know you like Rams better than Huskies ;)
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote:A coach should never be hired because of his relationship to the current roster. That is short term thinking. Evidence...Jerry D. I believe the Bryant job is down to two, Tom Moore and Brian Blaney. Preston and don't discount Antonio Reynolds Dean are both in great situations; but I'm sure both would jump at the opportunity to coach their alma mater. I am a big fan of Preston's but Antonio also has some strong credentials.
Using the Jerry D example, and equating that to Cox is not fair to Cox nor to the current administration and situation we are in. Jerry D was a moron, Coach Cox is on the precipice of getting a HC gig whether it is here or elsewhere, is an adult with a presence, and strong ties to one of the biggest talent hotbeds in the country (DMV). He recruited 3 of the 4 kids in our current Top 30 class. Plenty of schools have successfully hired assistants (ie Butler, Xavier) and kept the train moving. To build a program you need continuity, there is no better way to assure continuity than by retaining as much talent as possible from current and future roster. Head and shoulders better hire than our 2 former Rams. Both of them need to prove they can run a program first, either as an associate HC at a major program or HC at a low major.
DH is a great coach, but behind every great coach their is an assembly of masterminds. Cox is one of them. He’s studied behind Jamie Dixon, JT3, Mike Rice (the good side) and now DH. I’d trust him at the reigns. He’s coached some of the most talented players in the world, check his resume. I’m prepared to fully support Coach Cox if we lose a great coach/man/mentor in DH.
3 x
Weldinhall97
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Weldinhall97 »

Just got back a little while ago from an amazing weekend in pitt. The amount of rhody fans was absolutely amazing. The university even rented out a bar and had amazing pregames and post games. I actually got to talk to dan in the lobby of the double tree before the team left last night. I told him how much rhody fans appreciate him and everything he has done for the program. He just kept apologizing to my buddy and I saying he let us all down in the game. We obviously told him he did not let us down and we are so appreciative for him and all he does. Then andrea came down and was crying. Right as they left I said to Dan - Please stay - please make this the gonzaga of the east and told him how I drive 2 hours each way from ct for almost home game and also travelled to pitt this weekend while my wife is 8 months pregnant (cant believe she let me go). He didnt respond either way when I said a couple of times, please stay but he just kept saying how he is so amazed at the growth of the program and fan base. I also said to andrea - Please keep him here and she said I know, I will try. They both were extremely emotional and you could tell how much they love this place. Then they left.

I got to thinking on my early morning flight today, what if anything can I do as a very passionate fan, alumni, and season ticket holder. I came up with 2 things. a.) I plan on donating to the program/athletic dept this week and b.) I decided I am going to type up an email with my thoughts and everything and thank him again for everything. I thought I would send that to Thorr (unless someone here has dan's email) and I thought I would ask Thorr to forward it for me. Will it do anything? Who knows but it is all I could come up with. So if others want to email Thorr and flood his email box with passionate emails to send to Dan, maybe it puts his decision over the top? Maybe maybe not but it is what I am going to do. Let me know if any of you have thorr or dan's email?

Ps - here is a pic of dan, my buddy, and I talking to him near the elevator after the game. Go rhody....
Attachments
image1.jpeg
13 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:Would Preston be a candidate at Bryant? I heard that they are interested in finding a younger coach with upside as opposed to an experienced retread. I feel like Preston could recruit at the level they would need to be successful right away.
I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t be on the Bryant short list.

IMHO Cox is solid.

Jerry D I doubt could run an inbounds play in a youth hoops league- and I seriously doubt he was willing to read Coach Smith’s book to learn even basic plays.

Playground ball coach.

We were as low as you could go.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Here is what I think and I would guess it sums up most people feelings:

1. If Dan leaves for a blue blood program (Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, etc.) I will be upset but understand and wish him well.

2. If Dan leaves for a pay day at a lower levers school in a big conference where he won’t likely be able to win (Pitt level) - he is a fraud but I won’t begrudge him chasing the money.

3. If he goes to UConn he should be banned from the state.

That is all.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, you don't speak for me rhodylaw. He couldn't win at Pitt? Banned from the state? Please.
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Murph would be a great hire for Bryant

I agree if DH does leave this year Cox or Oats
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Pass on Oats, we need sustained continuity ala VCU after Smart to Wade.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

LOL Syracuse blue blood, but Uconn is filth. Come on. Syracuse is looking up at Uconn.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I thought by specifically saying Cox is not Jerry D and is actual head coach material that will be coaching somewhere in a year or two that I would not have to hear “didn’t we learn from Jerry D?!?1?” takes.

There are examples in the A10 of going with continuity working well, but the best example is probably Butler who handed the job from one former assistant to the next for years and years and kept that thing humming as coach after coach of theirs left for P5 (or NBA) jobs.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Cameron_Dollar wrote:My comment about the beach was meant to put things in perspective. This is not called the silly season for nothing. We want Dan to stay so we are grasping for any reason to justify it. Lighten up and let the process play out. This forum loves to attack anyone that doesn't drink the Kool Aid. As for the coach that visited UCONN, many believe it is Frank Martin.
I hope Martin takes the job. He could move back into the Captain Willet Apts. Come home Frank!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

twisted3829 wrote:He left Wagner because despite winning 25 games, including at Pitt, they couldn't even get an at large into the NIT
This is a bit of a fairy tale.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:LOL Syracuse blue blood, but Uconn is filth. Come on. Syracuse is looking up at Uconn.
Once upon a time this fan base had a deep hatred of all things UConn. Do we all of a sudden feel bad for them that they are in a similar conference and the state is having worse money troubles than RI? I repeat my statement - if he goes to UConn he should be banned from the state.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:LOL Syracuse blue blood, but Uconn is filth. Come on. Syracuse is looking up at Uconn.
No way. Syracuse is a better job that UConn.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:Pass on Oats, we need sustained continuity ala VCU after Smart to Wade.
Disagree. I think it would be close to a 50/50 call. Love Cox, love the idea of continuity with what we have right now. But Oats has done it as a HC and he’s done it in a situation very similar to what the situation would be here if Hurley were to move on. Considering Oats is hot right now, saying it’s close between him and Cox is a huge compliment to Cox since he hasn’t had his own program yet.
Ha what? This is very super wrong in almost every imaginable way.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Weldinhall97 wrote:Just got back a little while ago from an amazing weekend in pitt. The amount of rhody fans was absolutely amazing. The university even rented out a bar and had amazing pregames and post games. I actually got to talk to dan in the lobby of the double tree before the team left last night. I told him how much rhody fans appreciate him and everything he has done for the program. He just kept apologizing to my buddy and I saying he let us all down in the game. We obviously told him he did not let us down and we are so appreciative for him and all he does. Then andrea came down and was crying. Right as they left I said to Dan - Please stay - please make this the gonzaga of the east and told him how I drive 2 hours each way from ct for almost home game and also travelled to pitt this weekend while my wife is 8 months pregnant (cant believe she let me go). He didnt respond either way when I said a couple of times, please stay but he just kept saying how he is so amazed at the growth of the program and fan base. I also said to andrea - Please keep him here and she said I know, I will try. They both were extremely emotional and you could tell how much they love this place. Then they left.

I got to thinking on my early morning flight today, what if anything can I do as a very passionate fan, alumni, and season ticket holder. I came up with 2 things. a.) I plan on donating to the program/athletic dept this week and b.) I decided I am going to type up an email with my thoughts and everything and thank him again for everything. I thought I would send that to Thorr (unless someone here has dan's email) and I thought I would ask Thorr to forward it for me. Will it do anything? Who knows but it is all I could come up with. So if others want to email Thorr and flood his email box with passionate emails to send to Dan, maybe it puts his decision over the top? Maybe maybe not but it is what I am going to do. Let me know if any of you have thorr or dan's email?

Ps - here is a pic of dan, my buddy, and I talking to him near the elevator after the game. Go rhody....
Good job doing your part in trying to get Dan to stay and I like the idea of writing a letter. Coach K was halfway to LA in 2004 when a fan letter, among many others he received, swayed him to stay at Duke. Link to that story below. We all should write a letter this week.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... id=1835262
1 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

If he does go to UCONN I wonder if he could start up a home and home between URI and UCONN or at least an annual Mohegan game? Or would he be too emotional to go against his former school?
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Look up the term bubble in the dictionary and see a photo of Syracuse and the Carrier Dome. Melo's freshman year they win it all. Talk about the stars aligning. Boheim hasn't put together a more balanced team in 40 years.

In the Northeast Syracuse is probably the easiest team to like because they have great branding and their fans aren't Connecticut fans who suck. But again Uconn has 4 national titles. That is real tangible success. With 4 different rosters really. I get the 1 coach dig. But come on. Most programs are 1 coach. I mean what would college basketball be without Dean Smith, let alone UNC. Where was Duke 38 years ago.

Uconn's real problem is Ollie. He won the national title. They were also like around a .500 team that year and really got a little referee help just to beat St Joes in the first round. If they replace Ollie with just a top 40 coach they will rebound. I also think the AAC is finding its legs.

The state's finances only matter in reference to the arena. These big programs don't rely on the state to pay for salaries and things.

I do think if DH is a Jim Calhoun level coach, who he very well may be, then URI can vault past everyone in New England and be the program people make foolish arguments against because they are jealous.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

1. Syracuse is 1000000 times a better job than UCONN.

2. I wonder if in Dan’s contract it says he needs to play one game at Rhody, a la Texas at VCU this year.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If DH goes to UConn I don't think he will schedule URI he doesn't like to play against his friends like Bobby Oats and cox if he gets URI job
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote:1. Syracuse is 1000000 times a better job than UCONN

2. I wonder if in Dan’a contract it says he needs to play one game at Rhody, a la Texas at VCU this year.
For #2 that’s written in the contract of every VCU coach. If they leave they need to schedule a home and home with VCU. I learned that from someone who covers VCU.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Am I the only one in this 2318 reply thread who takes coach at his word?
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UConn's real problem is that they are in the AAC. If UConn were in the ACC then we might have a debate, but they aren't so we don't.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:If DH goes to UConn I don't think he will schedule URI he doesn't like to play against his friends like Bobby Oats and cox if he gets URI job
I don't think he would want to come play at URI if he were to leave for UConn and you're right that he doesn't want to play Bobby, but I don't think he would refuse to play Oats or Cox if it would be good for his program. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's my sense.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I'm assuming Zags is tweeting this because he's heard what I have heard.

Stay tuned folks.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

jmck wrote:
Weldinhall97 wrote:Just got back a little while ago from an amazing weekend in pitt. The amount of rhody fans was absolutely amazing. The university even rented out a bar and had amazing pregames and post games. I actually got to talk to dan in the lobby of the double tree before the team left last night. I told him how much rhody fans appreciate him and everything he has done for the program. He just kept apologizing to my buddy and I saying he let us all down in the game. We obviously told him he did not let us down and we are so appreciative for him and all he does. Then andrea came down and was crying. Right as they left I said to Dan - Please stay - please make this the gonzaga of the east and told him how I drive 2 hours each way from ct for almost home game and also travelled to pitt this weekend while my wife is 8 months pregnant (cant believe she let me go). He didnt respond either way when I said a couple of times, please stay but he just kept saying how he is so amazed at the growth of the program and fan base. I also said to andrea - Please keep him here and she said I know, I will try. They both were extremely emotional and you could tell how much they love this place. Then they left.

Good job doing your part in trying to get Dan to stay and I like the idea of writing a letter. Coach K was halfway to LA in 2004 when a fan letter, among many others he received, swayed him to stay at Duke. Link to that story below. We all should write a letter this week.

We should go back in time and try to sabotage that letter so that Coach K leaves and coaches 81point scoring Kobe and we don't have to face the formidable opponent we faced yesterday.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Dre3000 wrote:I'm assuming Zags is tweeting this because he's heard what I have heard.

Stay tuned folks.
I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think of that yesterday.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:He left Wagner because despite winning 25 games, including at Pitt, they couldn't even get an at large into the NIT
This is a bit of a fairy tale.
Yeah, no. Its literally what happened
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Got home this morning after a terrific 5 days in Pittsburgh. The pride from our fan base in the city this weekend was overwhelming. It seemed that every bar, restaurant, or store I went into I ran into someone wearing Keaney Blue and was greeted with a fist pound or some quick conversation about the team. Was really great to see. It showed to me that this fan base is passionate, loyal, and proven to support this program in anyway necessary. It seems we won over most of the other fan's in town as well, especially the Villanova fans who would comment to me that our team reminded them a lot of Wrights teams through the years with our gritty style of play and heavy guard system. We were good enough to be a second weekend team this year, we just got an unlucky draw. Duke was probably the biggest mismatch for us out of all the 68 teams in the tournament. If we were in any other region I'd like our chances to be playing next weekend.That's just the breaks.
In regards to Hurley. I just watched our games vs Oklahoma and Duke this morning that I recorded. I'll fully admit that I'm probably looking far deeper into this than I should be but I wanted to see if anyone else had a take on this or if it was already discussed. Towards the end of the Duke game when Dan was pulling players out of the game so the 5 seniors can be on the floor together I noticed Dan gave an especially large and emotional hug to Fatts. Now I know DH is extremely close with all of his players, and I've heard that he has an especially close relationship with Fatts, sort of like he had with EC. Probably because he sees Fatts as the new star that's going to lead the next group and be the face of the program the same way EC was for this group. But there was still something about that huge, emotional, hug that seemed a bit odd. It seemed have the same emotion that he had when the seniors were leaving the game, and there was a part of me that maybe thought it was somewhat of a "goodbye and good luck". Again, I understand that it was a long season and he has a close bond with everyone so he probably was just filled with emotions. But did it strike anyone else as a little odd?
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Dre3000 wrote:I'm assuming Zags is tweeting this because he's heard what I have heard.

Stay tuned folks.
God you're dense.

Zags was cracking a joke because someone replied to his Hurley tweet with the Williams clip.

He even tagged the joke Roy Williams account.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Fatts fouled out and his season was over.
That's all.
Last edited by rhodyrudder 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes !!! I saw that too !! Hopefully we are looking too far into that situation!!!!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Stay tuned folks.
yup...Roy Williams to Pitt (or UConn) - heard it here first :lol:
3 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

He could have just as easily said something like next year you'll be the man, something to that affect.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NJ03 wrote:Got home this morning after a terrific 5 days in Pittsburgh. The pride from our fan base in the city this weekend was overwhelming. It seemed that every bar, restaurant, or store I went into I ran into someone wearing Keaney Blue and was greeted with a fist pound or some quick conversation about the team. Was really great to see. It showed to me that this fan base is passionate, loyal, and proven to support this program in anyway necessary. It seems we won over most of the other fan's in town as well, especially the Villanova fans who would comment to me that our team reminded them a lot of Wrights teams through the years with our gritty style of play and heavy guard system. We were good enough to be a second weekend team this year, we just got an unlucky draw. Duke was probably the biggest mismatch for us out of all the 68 teams in the tournament. If we were in any other region I'd like our chances to be playing next weekend.That's just the breaks.
In regards to Hurley. I just watched our games vs Oklahoma and Duke this morning that I recorded. I'll fully admit that I'm probably looking far deeper into this than I should be but I wanted to see if anyone else had a take on this or if it was already discussed. Towards the end of the Duke game when Dan was pulling players out of the game so the 5 seniors can be on the floor together I noticed Dan gave an especially large and emotional hug to Fatts. Now I know DH is extremely close with all of his players, and I've heard that he has an especially close relationship with Fatts, sort of like he had with EC. Probably because he sees Fatts as the new star that's going to lead the next group and be the face of the program the same way EC was for this group. But there was still something about that huge, emotional, hug that seemed a bit odd. It seemed have the same emotion that he had when the seniors were leaving the game, and there was a part of me that maybe thought it was somewhat of a "goodbye and good luck". Again, I understand that it was a long season and he has a close bond with everyone so he probably was just filled with emotions. But did it strike anyone else as a little odd?
I thought the same thing. Hard not to think they were talking about something extra, possible about their next chapter together somewhere else.

His comment also struck me when Hurley said about Fatts after the OU game, “He’s going to do great things with me...and us.” Interesting word choice there.

Lastly, (probably looking too much into this) on Fatts’ Instagram story someone is heard yelling “Take it all in,” and Fatts replies with “Yea you got to, it might be my last time on a Providence...” I couldn’t make out the last word he said after Providence.

Just something to ponder.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NJ03 wrote:Got home this morning after a terrific 5 days in Pittsburgh. The pride from our fan base in the city this weekend was overwhelming. It seemed that every bar, restaurant, or store I went into I ran into someone wearing Keaney Blue and was greeted with a fist pound or some quick conversation about the team. Was really great to see. It showed to me that this fan base is passionate, loyal, and proven to support this program in anyway necessary. It seems we won over most of the other fan's in town as well, especially the Villanova fans who would comment to me that our team reminded them a lot of Wrights teams through the years with our gritty style of play and heavy guard system. We were good enough to be a second weekend team this year, we just got an unlucky draw. Duke was probably the biggest mismatch for us out of all the 68 teams in the tournament. If we were in any other region I'd like our chances to be playing next weekend.That's just the breaks.
........no, I read that as ‘stick with me kid, we’re going places......’. Need to edit, by going places, I mean advancing the Rhody program.....
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Rhody15 wrote:
I thought the same thing. Hard not to think they were talking about something extra, possible about their next chapter together somewhere else.

His comment also struck me when Hurley said about Fatts after the OU game, “He’s going to do great things with me...and us.” Interesting word choice there.

Lastly, (probably looking too much into this) on Fatts’ Instagram story someone is heard yelling “Take it all in,” and Fatts replies with “Yea you got to, it might be my last time on a Providence...” I couldn’t make out the last word he said after Providence.

Fatts was referring to flying home on a private charter flight I believe and saying he needs to take it in because he might not get a ton of chances to fly on one again.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:

I think he said "it might be my last time on a private plane." I understand reading into everything to try to figure out what's going on - that's like hard wired into human beings - but I think we should try to not do that so much. There are many different ways to interpret anything based on context, and from the outside looking in we just don't have the context to do it so it's just an exercise in getting worked up about nothing.

There have been a couple different things I've seen that are separate from what you guys are talking about that I was tempted to interpret one way or the other, but in the end I just decided it was fruitless. We will get the answers at some point.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

It would be pretty crazy if in that moment they are plotting to be somewhere else. He was probably just coaching. The remember this moment type thing.

I look forward to the article that comes out where they talk about how great URI is and how much the Hurleys love it. Or the coaching search. Either or.

Why does everyone always talk about more private jet money or practice facilities. How about a Rhody yacht! That would be something unique! Other programs can have pool tables. URI can just go hang out on a yacht on nice days. :lol: :?:
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's tough to tell a bunch of rabid fans "don't dwell on it", but...

don't dwell on it.

This is a great job now, in a large recent measure, thanks to Dan. But, no matter what happens, this University needs to be prepared to always act like Xavier used to, and replicate the same process that brought us Dan in the first place, to the best of their ability. Here's hoping that won't be necessary, but if it is, then they need to use cool heads and remember what got us here in the first place.
8 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Syracuse - ACC
UCONN - AAC
What a difference one letter can make.

Oh, Syracuse is still playing in the Tournament right now and UCONN is searching for a coach.

Syracuse’s basketball budget is double UCONN’s.

Syracuse sells out the 30,000 seat Carrier Dome.
UCONN averaged about 7-8,000 this year at the XL Center.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

jcru wrote:It's tough to tell a bunch of rabid fans "don't dwell on it", but...

don't dwell on it.

This is a great job now, in a large recent measure, thanks to Dan. But, no matter what happens, this University needs to be prepared to always act like Xavier used to, and replicate the same process that brought us Dan in the first place, to the best of their ability. Here's hoping that won't be necessary, but if it is, then they need to use cool heads and remember what got us here in the first place.
word up to that, will be easier to build the infrastructure needed for that with DH here I'd imagine.
3 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

jmck wrote:

I actually sent Hurley a heartfelt email the other day letting him know how much he means to the university, the fan base and most importantly the players. Will he actually read the email? Your guess is as good as mine. I just figured it couldn’t hurt to reach out. You can email him directly. His address is listed on the staff directory on the URI website.
3 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

ace wrote:People I would pay no attention to regarding URI coaching rumors: a dude who stays lying about a person even when corrected (I stay mad for years, apparently), a PC fan, the UConn message board.
Why is Ace mad at me? I tried to provide legitimate information, which may or not be useful, and he says not to pay any attention to me. I don't post unless I am reasonably certain of what I'm posting, and have never attacked URI on this board. Check my posts on the recruitment of Tate, Harris, and Fatts if you don't believe me.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I posted this in the Duke thread but I thought I would post it here as well as alot of it pertains to the topic here.

Not going to lie, this game was a disappointment. I just wished we had gone down playing a lot better. As Dan said, the seniors deserved to go out with a little more honor than that game.

It was a brutal match up for us based on the way we play. Duke has two very good big guys surrounded by good shooters and they play zone with length all over. We struggle with zones. And this is not meant to be a criticism, but a fact; we never change defenses or players regardless of who we are playing. We play an aggressive man to man style that works great when playing teams in the A10 or other teams with similar athleticism. But when you are playing teams that have superior size and athleticism such as yesterday, I think you need to change things up, throw in some zone, half court traps, full court press. You have to get a little gimmicky and show them different looks.

And as Rod (Rest in Peace) used to say, it is hard to win in the NCAA without size. The lack of development of Ryan Preston, Mike Laysard or Tertsea really showed in the NCAA tourney. We got pounded on the glass by Oklahoma and we saw what happened against Duke.

Anyhow, any season that ends in the NCAA tournament is a successful season. I want to thank the seniors for a great year and for Coach Hurley for changing the culture of URI. But Dan, Uconn really? God I hope not, I cannot stand that school and I do not think it is a great job by any means in today’s basketball world.

Uconn is a geographic outlier in the AAC (teams in Texas, Kansas, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Oklahoma) and the travel is brutal. I think recruiting to Uconn in that conference will be very difficult. If you are a kid in Washington, DC (Dan’s current recruiting hot bed), what is the appeal of playing at Uconn? There are no games that family and friends can easily drive to (other than Temple). Contrast that with the A-10, where you have GW, George Mason, VCU, Richmond, St. Joes and LaSalle where they can drive to.

And I think it is a tough job. The fans have unrealistic expectations and you will always be compared to Jim Calhoun. If you are not playing deep into March, get ready for plenty of criticism. Uconn was a national player when they had a generational coach. UMass when they also had a generational coach in John Calipari was also a national player. The difference is that Calipari did not stay 25 years.

And there will be no loyalty. Look at what they just did to one of their all time great players. I know Tom Moore is whispering sweet nothings in your ear about Uconn, but that was in a different conference, a different time with a hall of fame coach.

And this will sound self-serving, but I really do not think it is a good career move for you. You have already elevated URI’s profile and have the best recruiting class coming in that you ever had at URI. Combine that with 3 very good returning players, and I think this will be a quick rebuild. Next year, there will be some growing pains early, but would expect by March that you would be a good team. And the following three years, you are talking about some really good teams, like all time Rhode Island great teams.

So I do not buy this is your best time to be leaving and you may not have another chance. If it was an upper tier P5 job, then I could see it. Totally understand the appeal of that. If you stay, I think you will have the opportunity to do that if that is what you desire. Or maybe you find out that you make a couple of sweet sixteen’s at Rhode Island and you decide you can meet your goals at Rhode Island and decide to stay. And then you become basketball royalty in this state.

And do not buy the Big East is taking Uconn back talk. Not happening. And the invite is coming from the Big 12. Please. I would argue that Uconn in the AAC is a tougher job than URI in the A10, based on the expectations and the geographic outlier they are in the conference. Dan, think this through, there will be better jobs for you in the future than this UConn job.

Go Rhody! You have given me considerable joy this year in watching you play and for that I am thankful.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Weldinhall97 wrote: I got to thinking on my early morning flight today, what if anything can I do as a very passionate fan, alumni, and season ticket holder. I came up with 2 things. a.) I plan on donating to the program/athletic dept this week and b.) I decided I am going to type up an email with my thoughts and everything and thank him again for everything. I thought I would send that to Thorr (unless someone here has dan's email) and I thought I would ask Thorr to forward it for me. Will it do anything? Who knows but it is all I could come up with. So if others want to email Thorr and flood his email box with passionate emails to send to Dan, maybe it puts his decision over the top? Maybe maybe not but it is what I am going to do. Let me know if any of you have thorr or dan's email? ....
Dan’s and Thorr’s email are public on uri.edu. danhurley@uri.edu tbjorn@uri.edu

To make a donation:
Go to urifoundation.org and under the gift amount click on “list of Giving Opportunities”.
Page down to find URI Athletics and check on Men’s Basketball.
You can make a donation over the phone at 401-874-2389.
You can mail in a donation to URI Athletics Development, 3 Keaney Rd, Kingston, RI 02881
Make checks payable to URI Foundation

Sending my donation tomorrow as well.

Things to do:
Donate, Donate,Donate
Buy your seadon tickets tomorrow
Send letters to Dan, (danhurley@uri.edu) Thorr (tbjorn@uri.edu) & Dooley
Dooley’s Assistant in Linda Harrison (lharrison@uri.com). Office of Pres 401-874-2444
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

You can definitely donate online to men’s basketball if you don’t want to send generally to athletics via the RAMS fund.

It is right after RAMS Fund and called Men’s Basketball ( Fast Break).
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Why does everyone always talk about more private jet money or practice facilities. How about a Rhody yacht! That would be something unique! Other programs can have pool tables. URI can just go hang out on a yacht on nice days. :lol: :?:
A little Bob Ballard meets Bob Hurley type situation? This I could get into.
2 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Why does everyone always talk about more private jet money or practice facilities. How about a Rhody yacht! That would be something unique! Other programs can have pool tables. URI can just go hang out on a yacht on nice days. :lol: :?:
A little Bob Ballard meets Bob Hurley type situation? This I could get into.
The yacht would lead to some circuitous recruiting trips, especially for players in Ohio. :D
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:You can definitely donate online to men’s basketball if you don’t want to send generally to athletics via the RAMS fund.

It is right after RAMS Fund and called Men’s Basketball ( Fast Break).
Here is what I got.
Not Found

The requested URL /uri/site/Donation2 was not found on this server.

Can you post a link or web site?
You can also call the foundation and set all donations you make to men's basketball. I did that and it worked fined.
0 x