The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Running Ram »

Dre, if you want people to believe you, don't ask us to doubt DH at his word. Maybe his agent is excited about an offer, but Dan says he hasn't thought about one or even allowed his agent to speak to him about one yet, how on earth are we supposed to believe there is a "done deal?" I'm not naive, I actually think most people are full of shit most of the time, Dan Hurley, I believe. So I'm calling BS on your fake news.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Any money allocated for salaries that DH requires would be for his assistants, not himself. It doesn't matter if a school can offer him 10M /year. That will not be why he leaves URI.

Bob Senior stayed in JC when he could have changed life for himself & his family to live much more comfortably by taking a college or NBA job. Cut from a different cloth. Period.

This discussion of difference in salary UConn can offer him, prior to him declaring that he is leaving, is insulting -- to him, the players he's coached/recruited, assistants, the AD, President, his family, and quite frankly me.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Dre3000 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:When Dree3000 says he is hearing from people in the know, he is literally going to the UConn message board and pasting what they have been saying. That $3 mill comes from some anonymous source on their forum. Bunch of bullshit.
Except I also had the details of Carr's departure before anyone else. We shall see...
What happened to Carr anyway? Never got that story.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Whew after reading these posts I feel a heck of a lot better

Looks like coach stays !!

Gonzaga of the East anybody???
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

who's interested in reading between tweets?

Dan Hurley liked this. :)
10 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

It's not fair to compare Dan and Bobby to Bob Sr. One only has to read his book, which I did long before Dan was even a twinkle in URI's eye. Coaching was a vocation for Bob and his passion and love for his school, family and community far exceeded his desire for fame and fortune. Bobby and Dan coach in different times where a coach must find balance between money and a place where they can become successful. So far they are on different paths. Bobby could have stayed at Buffalo for a while longer but jumped at the first big job that was offered. He is also perceived as more of a national guy than Dan, due to his more successful playing career. Dan appears to be more of an east coast coach with a greater intensity. He may or may not leave this year; but who could blame him. his stock may never be higher. If he does in fact opt for the UCONN job, it will be because he believes he will be given the opportunity to compete for a national championship. This scenario is so different than Tom Penders or Jim Harrick (Sorry Rod) who took jobs simply for money. And unlike the two aforementioned coaches, Dan did it with his players and not with those he inherited. I say thank you for a job well done and good luck in whatever you decide.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:It's not fair to compare Dan and Bobby to Bob Sr. One only has to read his book, which I did long before Dan was even a twinkle in URI's eye. Coaching was a vocation for Bob and his passion and love for his school, family and community far exceeded his desire for fame and fortune. Bobby and Dan coach in different times where a coach must find balance between money and a place where they can become successful. So far they are on different paths. Bobby could have stayed at Buffalo for a while longer but jumped at the first big job that was offered. He is also perceived as more of a national guy than Dan, due to his more successful playing career. Dan appears to be more of an east coast coach with a greater intensity. He may or may not leave this year; but who could blame him. his stock may never be higher. If he does in fact opt for the UCONN job, it will be because he believes he will be given the opportunity to compete for a national championship. This scenario is so different than Tom Penders or Jim Harrick (Sorry Rod) who took jobs simply for money. And unlike the two aforementioned coaches, Dan did it with his players and not with those he inherited. I say thank you for a job well done and good luck in whatever you decide.
Different times doesn't mean anything, it's still individual people.

Mark Few
Martelli
Coach K
McKillop
Cooley
Amaker
Boeheim
Calhoun

Not everyone is a Calipari mercenary type of coach. Some, like Dan, still value loyalty, honor and care more about mentoring the players.

But you want to ignore the fact that Dan turned down 3 mill a year already (Rutgers) back when he was making less money and before the school really invested in the program
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:If you want to make a cogent argument, fine...tell me when is the last time there was a Hurley family member spotted on a beach?

You understand the big grinning smiley face indicated it was a joke, right? The cogent argument was that Hurley and his wife love the area, money is important but may not be the most important factor, and UConn in 2018 is not the same school it was in the Big East winning championships. Based on where they are today, it's hard to argue that UConn represents a significantly better chance to make a run in the NCAA tournament the URI. And a second time for emphasis, Hurley and his family love Rhode Island.

It's sad that a Friar fan needs to point this out to you.
6 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote:It's not fair to compare Dan and Bobby to Bob Sr. One only has to read his book, which I did long before Dan was even a twinkle in URI's eye. Coaching was a vocation for Bob and his passion and love for his school, family and community far exceeded his desire for fame and fortune. Bobby and Dan coach in different times where a coach must find balance between money and a place where they can become successful. So far they are on different paths. Bobby could have stayed at Buffalo for a while longer but jumped at the first big job that was offered. He is also perceived as more of a national guy than Dan, due to his more successful playing career. Dan appears to be more of an east coast coach with a greater intensity. He may or may not leave this year; but who could blame him. his stock may never be higher. If he does in fact opt for the UCONN job, it will be because he believes he will be given the opportunity to compete for a national championship. This scenario is so different than Tom Penders or Jim Harrick (Sorry Rod) who took jobs simply for money. And unlike the two aforementioned coaches, Dan did it with his players and not with those he inherited. I say thank you for a job well done and good luck in whatever you decide.
Different times doesn't mean anything, it's still individual people.

Mark Few
Martelli
Coach K
McKillop
Cooley
Amaker
Boeheim
Calhoun

Not everyone is a Calipari mercenary type of coach. Some, like Dan, still value loyalty, honor and care more about mentoring the players.

But you want to ignore the fact that Dan turned down 3 mill a year already (Rutgers) back when he was making less money and before the school really invested in the program
The guy left a prep job to go on to better things. His old man never did. He then left Wagner after only two years to go on to better things. The comparison is silly. He may very well believe that URI is the best place for him and his family for the long term. That the stability and location trumps those other offers. It would be rare but no unheard of. Let's not pretend he is a probation officer that put a catholic high school on his back for 40 years. He is making a million and living in a pretty cool state. Turning down bigger offers is a little easier for him.
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

He left Wagner because despite winning 25 games, including at Pitt, they couldn't even get an at large into the NIT
5 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This could all be very benign. The comments could easily be interpreted as putting pressure on the admin to take the NCAA funds and pump them back into the program, increase fundraising, increase infrastructure... we've been here before, this is all standard stuff after a NCAA run. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't say that.

Let's not have any delusions about the program. Penders left, broke a lot of people's hearts in the process. Skinner was allowed to walk. Harrick pulled a Penders, then flip flopped, making it worse. The following hire of He Who Must Not Be Named set the program back a decade. The next hire left us stagnant, hoping that Baron would actually be at the point we are at now, and just leave on his own... never happened.

Now we are here again. We are never going to be able to compete with the money of the Top-20 teams in the country, because even if you come in the ballpark of what they offer, they can always increase those numbers and pay more.

So, concentrate on the positives. What does Rhode Island have to offer the Hurleys? Well, for starters, job security. No job outside of Duke is going to reproduce a sweet 16 run every single year. A program like Rhode Island, even under ideal conditions, will have an equal amount of up years and down years. Here at Rhode Island, a coach can absorb 2, even 3 seasons, of negative results without having their head on the chopping block. You think that is going to happen at the next level? They wouldn't survive 2 seasons like that in most circumstances.

Maybe that was in doubt during the Jerry D fiasco. People might have said, look, they aren't even giving that guy a chance. But we more than paid our dues during Baron, and now people around the country know, we give a good coach a decent sized leash, and let them do their thing. It may not sound like much on paper, but people in this business know: you can't put a price on that.

Better to make $1.5 Mil/year, x30 years, in a place that you love. Then make $3 Mil x2 years and fizzle and burn and be yesterday's news.

I trust Dan's wife will make that argument.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I just found out that Rod passed yesterday. Now, I am the old man with the sage advice. That one was for you, bud. Salute.
4 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:If you want to make a cogent argument, fine...tell me when is the last time there was a Hurley family member spotted on a beach?
Okay, I will. Last summer. The Hurley family belongs to [Redacted] beach club and they spend quite a lot of time there. Even Dan, when his schedule allows.
5 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

twisted3829 wrote:He left Wagner because despite winning 25 games, including at Pitt, they couldn't even get an at large into the NIT
You don't think you could come up with credible basketball reasons to leave URI?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

reckless jake wrote:
Okay, I will. Last summer. The Hurley family belongs to [Redacted] beach club and they spend quite a lot of time there. Even Dan, when his schedule allows.
Interesting, that’s great. We need a coach that takes advantage of everything Rhode Island offers in order to compete nationally since we can’t compete monetarily.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had always thought that Dan would leave URI due to its limitations and better opportunities elsewhere to compete at the highest level. The past two seasons have however showed that success is possible in Kingston and also given a glimpse into what could be a brighter future.

The team has now gone to two straight NCAA's winning the A-10 Tournament and getting an at large this season. The committee confirmed that even with a loss last year in the final, Rhody would still have been in as an at large (all be it in the play-in games). The at large bid this year was achieved during one of the worst overall conference performing years in recent A-10 history. It was shown that the Rams could win in the NCAA Tournament with back to back year first round victories.

A monster OOC schedule was crafted mostly with opponents that were in the tournament this year. The framework for another such schedule is in place for next year. Given the challenges of scheduling at a school such as URI, it has been proven, that while difficult, it is possible to have a big time slate of games.

It was thought that an exceptionally good RPI ranking was not in the cards for teams outside power conferences that could load up on many quality games inside their league schedule. Rhody, even with a very down year for the A-10, was able to disprove this by having a wisely crafted OOC schedule. Its RPI ranking was in the top 20 for nearly the entire season positioning itself well for at large consideration and seeding. URI got a decent 7 seed for 2018. An even better seed was however projected had it not been for the unexpected losses in the last week of the regular season.

The Rams broke into the national polls and remained there for eight straight weeks. A single loss in a week did not knock the team out as had happened with previous past year rankings. Heck, Rhode Island even remained ranked after a week with a 30 point home loss AND a last second road loss.

The challenges of recruiting were more than met this past year with one of the best classes (top 25-30) in the nation. Got a top 100 big man and had five players give early commitments. It was such a success that one of the commitments backed out for fear of limited playing time after assessing his fellow class members. Opt outs for reasons like this typically only happen with blueblood programs and had never occurred at URI before.

This season also saw the growth of a fan base. The highest average attendance in the history of the Ryan Center was achieved this year. There were a few sellouts and many games just a few hundred short of capacity. Tickets became a hot commodity. Big crowds even came out for mid week games against lesser conference teams on cold winter nights. In addtion to home attendance, the crowds at the NCAA Tournament these past two years and in DC for the A-10 tournament showed that there is a sizeable number of people that will follow the team on the road.

While much has been made of the challenges at URI in today's college basketball, the last two years have also showed that the path to success could be built and travelled here. Kingston can provide a road forward.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
17 x
reckless jake
ARD

CT Rhody wrote:
reckless jake wrote:
Interesting, that’s great. We need a coach that takes advantage of everything Rhode Island offers in order to compete nationally since we can’t compete monetarily.
I'm not sure out of respect for their privacy that I should have put that out there though.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Dan's focus is creating programs that teach and mentor, just like his father. I don't believe he has interest in coaching a team on the level with Duke. He's about the program, the players, the process, the GAME. I don't believe his philosophy of basketball doesn't even has the term one and done in it... he wants to be able to mentor these kids and coach basketball, he will never be able to do that in the position Calipari or Coach K is in, those guys aren't coaches, they're machines. Can you ever see them up there with the PERSONAL emotion he carries for these kids in his program?
2 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

reckless jake wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
reckless jake wrote:
I'm not sure out of respect for their privacy that I should have put that out there though.

I was thinking the same thing.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Yes just because we see them around doesn't mean it needs to be posted here. That is probably one of things they like about RI.
2 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

I just found out from someone I trust that UConn met with a Division 1 head coach about their opening within the past 72 hours. Obviously it wasn't Dan Hurley.

I have no idea how serious the conversation was, but if Hurley to UConn was a done deal as those on the Boneyard would like you to believe, this meeting would not have happened.
8 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bigsnoop wrote:I just found out from someone I trust that UConn met with a Division 1 head coach about their opening within the past 72 hours. Obviously it wasn't Dan Hurley.

I have no idea how serious the conversation was, but if Hurley to UConn was a done deal as those on the Boneyard would like you to believe, this meeting would not have happened.

Maybe Frank Martin? Saw his name floating around in a couple articles.
1 x
Go Rhody
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Rhody15 wrote:
Bigsnoop wrote:I just found out from someone I trust that UConn met with a Division 1 head coach about their opening within the past 72 hours. Obviously it wasn't Dan Hurley.

No. More regional than him
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Bigsnoop wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:

No. More regional than him
Must be Becker then.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Nate Oats?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

My comment about the beach was meant to put things in perspective. This is not called the silly season for nothing. We want Dan to stay so we are grasping for any reason to justify it. Lighten up and let the process play out. This forum loves to attack anyone that doesn't drink the Kool Aid. As for the coach that visited UCONN, many believe it is Frank Martin.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Martin would be a great hire.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote:Nate Oats?
I wonder if Tim Cluess would get a look. That guy can really coach and hope he is on URI's short list if it ever came to that. .750 winning % in the MAAC which is a decent basketball league. And he has done it through multiple groups so it isn't like one player or class carried him. I know he is a little older but I am surprised that he is still at Iona.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

FWIW Channel 12 reported this morning that Hurley “isn’t going anywhere”. That may have been Yanni’s inference from Hurley’s “don’t give a crap” statement, but it was nice to hear.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Gonebarongone wrote:
I wonder if Tim Cluess would get a look. That guy can really coach and hope he is on URI's short list if it ever came to that. .750 winning % in the MAAC which is a decent basketball league. And he has done it through multiple groups so it isn't like one player or class carried him. I know he is a little older but I am surprised that he is still at Iona.
.......he would have to bring along a defensive guru and start guruing on his way to any campus above the MAAC level......hopefully not ever this campus.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I redacted the name of the beach club, just to be on the safe side.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Anybody that would have Cluess on the short list for URI is a person whose opinion is not worth paying attention to. His teams don't put any effort into playing defense, Baron 2.0 would be accurate for once
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
I would hope he most certainly isn’t on our list. There is a reason, despite winning, why he is still there.

If DH leaves its real easy - Cox or Oats. That’s it. That said I hope it never comes to that.
8 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If UConn hired Nate Oats, first of all I think it would be a great hire for them, and second of all I think there would be a strong chance that our rivalry with UConn could be renewed and they could become a regular opponent.

If UConn hired Dan, our list would have two people on it: Oats and Cox
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:If UConn hired Nate Oats, first of all I think it would be a great hire for them, and second of all I think there would be a strong chance that our rivalry with UConn could be renewed and they could become a regular opponent.

If UConn hired Dan, our list would have two people on it: Oats and Cox
I’d add Preston Murphy, Luke Murray, and Bashir Mason.

Cox & Oats are first but the rest aren’t far behind. But hoping it won’t matter and Dan is here for many years
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You would think Preston Murphy would be on the short list as well.
1 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think I'd be comfortable giving a guy his first job except with Cox because the deciding factor for him would be keeping the roster/recruiting class intact and continuing the Hurley program without him. If we start over I'd rather do it with someone who has done it before. Especially Oats because he's done literally the same thing very recently. And even with Cox, I'd only be comfortable with him because he's going to get a head job soon anyways - he isn't Jerry D.

Hopefully it's moot anyways.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

The insanity and delusion on the UCONN board has reached epic proportion. Look, i'm a realist and I know where URI sits in the overall "pecking order" compared to the big time hoop schools, but for the life of me, I cant figure out why UCONN thinks they are still part of the elite landscape of college basketball. Their incredible 20 year run was done in a completely different set of circumstances than where they sit today. I have some very knowledgeable UCONN friends/donors and they know the reality of their current situation and even question why Hurley would want to make this move given his current situation at URI and the current situation at UCONN. I always found the constant bickering between UCONN and PC fans to be extremely amusing but I'm slowly starting to see what Friar fans are seeing with the extremely confused and conflicted UCONN fans. Every fan base has a few clowns, but UCONN fans are basically the entire circus.
8 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Would Preston be a candidate at Bryant? I heard that they are interested in finding a younger coach with upside as opposed to an experienced retread. I feel like Preston could recruit at the level they would need to be successful right away.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No way on Preston. Isn’t even the lead assistant at Creighton. Needs some HC experience before he is given the keys. He’s one of our own so I get the love, but that would be a big mistake IMO.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:Would Preston be a candidate at Bryant? I heard that they are interested in finding a younger coach with upside as opposed to an experienced retread. I feel like Preston could recruit at the level they would need to be successful right away.
That's a perfect first gig for him. Get him back to the east coast to a league you can win in quick if you can recruit just a little higher level player.
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

A coach should never be hired because of his relationship to the current roster. That is short term thinking. Evidence...Jerry D. I believe the Bryant job is down to two, Tom Moore and Brian Blaney. Preston and don't discount Antonio Reynolds Dean are both in great situations; but I'm sure both would jump at the opportunity to coach their alma mater. I am a big fan of Preston's but Antonio also has some strong credentials.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Never a dull moment. We watch the coaching carousel for the next few weeks.

Then if nothing happens for us. We hope we keep out assistants. THEN we wonder if we add a high level transfer. Tons of KB storylines.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reckless jake
ARD

TruePoint wrote:I redacted the name of the beach club, just to be on the safe side.
Thank you. One minute after I posted it I regretted it and I tried to delete it but couldn't because someone had already replied to it.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yup no worries. I got you.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Shinze88 wrote:The insanity and delusion on the UCONN board has reached epic proportion. Look, i'm a realist and I know where URI sits in the overall "pecking order" compared to the big time hoop schools, but for the life of me, I cant figure out why UCONN thinks they are still part of the elite landscape of college basketball. Their incredible 20 year run was done in a completely different set of circumstances than where they sit today. I have some very knowledgeable UCONN friends/donors and they know the reality of their current situation and even question why Hurley would want to make this move given his current situation at URI and the current situation at UCONN. I always found the constant bickering between UCONN and PC fans to be extremely amusing but I'm slowly starting to see what Friar fans are seeing with the extremely confused and conflicted UCONN fans. Every fan base has a few clowns, but UCONN fans are basically the entire circus.
this.

they dont realize they are on the fast track to being the next St Johns. Wasnt that long ago that St johns ruled the roost in college ball with all the tri state kids. Now they are middle of the pack average.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote:A coach should never be hired because of his relationship to the current roster. That is short term thinking. Evidence...Jerry D. I believe the Bryant job is down to two, Tom Moore and Brian Blaney. Preston and don't discount Antonio Reynolds Dean are both in great situations; but I'm sure both would jump at the opportunity to coach their alma mater. I am a big fan of Preston's but Antonio also has some strong credentials.
Using the Jerry D example, and equating that to Cox is not fair to Cox nor to the current administration and situation we are in. Jerry D was a moron, Coach Cox is on the precipice of getting a HC gig whether it is here or elsewhere, is an adult with a presence, and strong ties to one of the biggest talent hotbeds in the country (DMV). He recruited 3 of the 4 kids in our current Top 30 class. Plenty of schools have successfully hired assistants (ie Butler, Xavier) and kept the train moving. To build a program you need continuity, there is no better way to assure continuity than by retaining as much talent as possible from current and future roster. Head and shoulders better hire than our 2 former Rams. Both of them need to prove they can run a program first, either as an associate HC at a major program or HC at a low major.
6 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Some guys from another school whose basketball program we would love to emulate have had excellent success utilizing top assistant coaches.

Guys named Sean Miller and Chris Mack became very successful head coaches and Xavier University never skipped a beat, constantly growing the program along the way.

David Cox is much closer to a Miller or Mack than that disgraced fraud Jerry D.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote:A coach should never be hired because of his relationship to the current roster. That is short term thinking. Evidence...Jerry D. I believe the Bryant job is down to two, Tom Moore and Brian Blaney. Preston and don't discount Antonio Reynolds Dean are both in great situations; but I'm sure both would jump at the opportunity to coach their alma mater. I am a big fan of Preston's but Antonio also has some strong credentials.
Using the Jerry D example, and equating that to Cox is not fair to Cox nor to the current administration and situation we are in. Jerry D was a moron, Coach Cox is on the precipice of getting a HC gig whether it is here or elsewhere, is an adult with a presence, and strong ties to one of the biggest talent hotbeds in the country (DMV). He recruited 3 of the 4 kids in our current Top 30 class. Plenty of schools have successfully hired assistants (ie Butler, Xavier) and kept the train moving. To build a program you need continuity, there is no better way to assure continuity than by retaining as much talent as possible from current and future roster. Head and shoulders better hire than our 2 former Rams. Both of them need to prove they can run a program first, either as an associate HC at a major program or HC at a low major.
I agree with most of this. I only would say that hiring someone because they are more likely to keep a recruiting class or roster together has led to some bad hires. Just hire the best guy. If they lose one or two recruits, so be it. Hopefully, they won't lose any. This is not being anti-Cox. Just want the process to be right.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

People I would pay no attention to regarding URI coaching rumors: a dude who stays lying about a person even when corrected (I stay mad for years, apparently), a PC fan, the UConn message board. Anyone saying a firm, no turning back decision has been made is not reporting facts. People thought Dan to Marist was done, but he changed his mind.

Bashir Mason and Nate Oats performed well in their first college head coach jobs following a Hurley. It’s always a risk to hire to try to maintain roster security, but it can work out.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
5 x