The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

If he were to leave, this would be the year. If he stays, I think he is here for 10+ more years. Everything lining up for this being the year.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote:I tell you what. It sounded like more people were pulling for URI than Duke.
That's because the whole world hates Duke.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

5 x
Common sense is not common.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
theblueram wrote:I tell you what. It sounded like more people were pulling for URI than Duke.
That's because the whole world hates Duke.
As my younger brother always says, to this day:

"Duke... is Puke"
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The announcers were repeatedly praising our fans.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dan stays and next year will be AMAZING!!!! Top 30 recruiting class, coming off this amazing year. The welcome for this new class will be outstanding!!!!! Can't wait!!!!
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI should easily have more funds to invest. If attendance were to remain in the 6k average range next year, the season will yield about 1M more in revenue than two years ago. This will come from increased tickets sales, NCAA unit disbursements, and added sponsorship revenues. I would imagine if Hurley were to stay, he would be in line for a raise in the tens of percent range (100ks). Staff salaries will also need to be bumped up to keep good people. More creature comforts for the players (charters, meals, etc..). Thorr and President Dooley will need to address all of this soon to keep an upward trajectory going.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just boost him to $2 mill already. Just tell Gina to put more tolls up to pay for it.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I can get behind that (tolls).
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Use the 911 fund money
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Just donate
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

911 funds is the point to be made here. This govt appropriates money for whatever they want. The people want the state to invest in our Flagship University. RELEASE THE FUNDING!!!!!!
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

It’s just crazy how the UConn rumor mill is calling the hiring a done deal. Dan didn’t even mull their offer over yet, I really hope he stays, we are building something really special here. Let’s get him paid, and continue to invest in the program. Let’s do this!!!!
4 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

Blue Man wrote:This thread is why our fan base sucks.

Worry about PLAYING THE GOD DAMN #2 SEED BLUE DEVILS.

Holy Christ y’all will find anything to be miserable about to matter how good things are at the moment. What a miserable way to live.

^^^THIS. I'm so sick of this negative thread. Let's focus on URI and our success. Not UCONN, not PC, not anyone else. This thread drives me nuts. We should focus on the team we are playing that week and OUR team. Not UCONN's board and what PC is doing. I don't know why the hell people posted in here before the game on GAME DAY of an NCAAT game.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I want the Ryan Center full every game. I want it so sold out we have to sell seating rights for tickets. LET"S DO THIS!!!!!
4 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

theblueram wrote:I want the Ryan Center full every game. I want it so sold out we have to sell seating rights for tickets. LET"S DO THIS!!!!!

^HELL YES. There should be a TON of season tickets purchased tonight. Let's fill the building you locals!
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

He ain’t going nowhere!!!!!!
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

http://www.businessinsider.com/louisvil ... 016-2018-2

The no 1 on this list job is probably open.

Check out no 25, selling out every game is huge.

Don’t see any Huskies on this list....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Before Calhoun, uconn was URI. Just saying.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Here’s Koch’s story on the Hurley rumors.
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... peculation
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

time will tell.

If he stays, however, it will make for the easiest transition from an experienced team losing this much senior firepower to a rebuilding team with a great recruiting class coming in.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I took a glance at that UConn forum. Sickening. Their fans live in an alternate universe where there is no mention that their program is under investigation....
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Dan put an end to all of it in his postgame..........."I don't give a crap---------------"!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Love seeing and hearing from Dan on this. He coukd give two craps. Hasn’t thought another school for ONE second. I also take the reference about his family as a positive. He is so vested in URI.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“I could give a crap about who’s got an opening,” Hurley said. “I haven’t thought about it for a second. I could care less about any other school in the country that’s looking for a coach or talks about me on social media.”

“There’s a whole lot more room for this program to grow around these players, and that’s absolutely essential if the university, the athletic department and our fans want us to be able to get beyond this point as a program,” Hurley said. “The investment’s going to have to increase.

“That’s like with any program trying to get better. You have to align your expectations with your investment. These players deserve to operate at the highest level of our league if you want to stay there.”
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

He was asked after an emotional loss with 5 seniors. If after his "hibernation" he still is singing the same tune, I will gladly come back on here and post that I was wrong. However according to multiple people that would know, that post will not be coming.
Last edited by Dre3000 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well there you go. What will it take to keep Dan here? We will find out shortly.

This isn't exactly breaking news. The rumors are UConn's offer is in the 3.5 million per year range.

Now of course URI can't and will never be able to match or even come close to that.

This could be hardball time. Dooley will have to release the purse strings, not only for Dan, but for his assistants too.

Along with all the other upgrades discussed. If URI has been dragging their feet on any of this, that's going to have to stop.

I mentioned earlier that URI's BB budget is at least 2 million a year less than VCU's. That gap will have to be narrowed considerably.

Pay the man if you want to keep him. Dre, I hope you're wrong. Or is it too late?

It will suck beyond suck if Dan leaves and the recruits leave too. We need those 4 star bigs that would be coming in. When have we ever landed those types of players? Talk about getting past this point as a program. Those are the type of players we have to have to do that.

Without them it makes it VERY difficult to achieve those goals. Without players like Harris and Tate, how do we ever compete with programs like Duke?
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Where are these “$3.5m per year range “rumors coming from?

Please post linky.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, some UConn people have big mouths.....naming names at this point does nothing. Like I said, rumors, but pretty serious ones.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I do believe he will hibernate to go over things with his family, agent, and himself. So no it's not too late, he may have a change of heart. But most think that will not be happening. Should know in the next 2-3 days
0 x
mik1987
Jim Eitner

Unread post by mik1987 »

See Ace’s comments in Calhoun thread from 10 months ago - very prophetic.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Dre3000 wrote:I do believe he will hibernate to go over things with his family, agent, and himself. So no it's not too late, he may have a change of heart. But most think that will not be happening. Should know in the next 2-3 days
Ugh. That is devastating if true and I hope it’s wrong. I’d love to see what he can do here with the current sophomores that will be juniors plus this incoming class. That said if the unthinkable happens I feel confident that Thor and Dooley make another great hire.
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

DelroyIsMyHero wrote:
theblueram wrote:I want the Ryan Center full every game. I want it so sold out we have to sell seating rights for tickets. LET"S DO THIS!!!!!

^HELL YES. There should be a TON of season tickets purchased tonight. Let's fill the building you locals!
I bought season tickets for me and my buddy a few weeks ago. It's my first time, but then I'm only 60. :)
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:I do believe he will hibernate to go over things with his family, agent, and himself. So no it's not too late, he may have a change of heart. But most think that will not be happening. Should know in the next 2-3 days
Heard that UConn might not be able to announce anything for a while due to the union issue with Ollie.

If that happens, that will only add to the agita.

Dan will have to come out and either fish or cut bait. Soon.

His comments tonight were a shot across the bow to Dooley and URI. Maybe Dan already knows URI can't do enough.

We need a deep pocketed saviour.

And we need those recruits. The bigs. Badly.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yawn
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Make another great hire. Yes I'm confident they will bring in another good coach, or keep Cox....

BUT, Dan addressed the issue. Can or will URI put out enough to get this program to that 2nd weekend NCAA tourney level and beyond?

If they can't or won't do it for Dan, then will they do it for another coach? Very doubtful imo.

We will be back to that occasional NCAA berth type of program....like when Al was here...and it's only going to get tougher to get that NCAA tourney berth in the conference we're in.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

We’ve made the improvements over the past few years and now we need to continue.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I’m confused, Dan says he hasn’t thought about it for a second and yet there are sources saying he is gone unless he has a change of heart? Well has he thought about it or hasn’t he?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dre3000 wrote:He was asked after an emotional loss with 5 seniors. If after his "hibernation" he still is singing the same tune, I will gladly come back on here and post that I was wrong. However according to multiple people that would know, that post will not be coming.
If he has had discussions with anyone (even his agent) you are saying he lied multiple times. I don’t believe that. He didn’t need to give the level of details he provided. I don’t think Dan has spent “a second” thinking about UCONN. I am not saying that he will not listen to schools in a couple of days.

I also know someone that is a major UCONN donor. He said they need to resolve the financial situation with Ollie and that if they settle with Ollie for millions it will impact what they can pay the next coach. He also thought they will probably pay the next coach less than the paid Ollie ($17.9 million for 5 years). Their revenue is down - TV, sponsors, ticket sales & ncaa money.
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rambone, you are the worst. Go to bed.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Sorry, I need links or callin bs
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sorry TP, but reality bites.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

When Dree3000 says he is hearing from people in the know, he is literally going to the UConn message board and pasting what they have been saying. That $3 mill comes from some anonymous source on their forum. Bunch of bullshit.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Despite today's loss, Nate Oats should be on someone's radar....the man can coach.

Loved Buffalo's energy the last 2 games....yes they were outclassed today....but they gave it a hell of an effort.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

BleedBlue87 wrote:When Dree3000 says he is hearing from people in the know, he is literally going to the UConn message board and pasting what they have been saying. That $3 mill comes from some anonymous source on their forum. Bunch of bullshit.
That's all the bunch of them have been doing. They're regurgitating the same bullshit the UConn board is spouting.

3.5 mill a year
It's a done deal, just need to announce it
He's talking to UConn through back channels
Blah blah blah

It's an echo chamber of bullshit

Next it'll be "my wife's cousin's hairdresser saw Hurley pet a husky in the park...UConn confirmed"
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:When Dree3000 says he is hearing from people in the know, he is literally going to the UConn message board and pasting what they have been saying. That $3 mill comes from some anonymous source on their forum. Bunch of bullshit.
Except I also had the details of Carr's departure before anyone else. We shall see...
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Based on what I know, unless something has changed dramatically in the last few weeks, he's not going to UConn. People close to him know that if he leaves, being able to compete for Final Fours is a priority, and UConn may no longer for that bill in the AAC. In addition to the drop in conference, there's also a huge drop in revenue. Their ESPN contract or for $2 million per year per school for both football and basketball. That's less than half of what the Big East gets just for basketball. They do have the SNY contract for close to a million per year, but that's for football and men's and women's basketball. They are also in the final year of getting the Big East NCAA revenues, which were substantial, especially since they were split primarily among the three schools that were in the NCAA at the time (Cincinnati and South Florida). Now they're relying solely on AAC generated NCAA shares, which I'm pretty sure it's less than the A-10 revenues offer the past five years. Finally, both the school and the state are broke, and they've already been told by the state legislature that whatever they have to pay Kevin Ollie needs to come out of their existing budget.

Regarding Coach Hurley, when he mentioned money today, I'm pretty sure he was talking facility and program enhancements, specifically reinvesting the NCAA credits back into the program.
I can see him leaving someday for a higher position, I just don't believe that's UConn (unless his wife has a burning desire to change a life of great beaches and restaurants in RI for a bunch of rolling tumbleweeds in Storrs). :D
Last edited by Bigsnoop 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dre3000 wrote:
Except I also had the details of Carr's departure before anyone else. We shall see...
So are your sources on the UCONN side or the URI side?

I am not sure of when you announced the Carr departure but it was known for a long time before he left.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
That's all the bunch of them have been doing. They're regurgitating the same bullshit the UConn board is spouting.

3.5 mill a year
It's a done deal, just need to announce it
He's talking to UConn through back channels
Blah blah blah

It's an echo chamber of bullshit

Next it'll be "my wife's cousin's hairdresser saw Hurley pet a husky in the park...UConn confirmed"
Exactly. Every time I read a post on here from someone that claims to be “in the know”, I feel like I’m re-reading a recycled version of the crap that’s all over UCONN Blog and Boneyard, verbatim in some cases. I can guarantee that nobody except Hurley and his immediate family has any idea what his plans are. This intense, hyper-focused, obsessive basketball coach has been having back channel conversations with UCONN officials in the weeks/days leading up to the tournament?? Sorry, not buying that for even a second. I’m not naive enough to think that he won’t leave if the situation feels right for him, but these people pretending to know that he already has an offer in hand and his bags are packed for Storrs...gimme a break already.
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

If you want to make a cogent argument, fine...tell me when is the last time there was a Hurley family member spotted on a beach?
0 x