The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Now why would Dan leave? If it's not about money?

Is it because he knows URI can't get the program to where he wants it, to compete with the big boys?

We know URI can't do that. We know Dan wants the BB budget at least 6 million a year.....they're at 4.2 million, and no matter how much NCAA money we get, it's not happening. The big boys spend 10-12 million a year. Even PC with their TV deal is close to 9 million a year.

And that's the crux of the matter. Bottom line.

And whoever said it is right....if he stays, it's not Thorr or Dooley that will convince him...it's his wife.

If he does go, lets hope he convinces them to hire Cox and keep most of the recruits plus the holdovers.....or else we're going to have to rebuild again.

The A10 is not the BE, or the B10, or the ACC, or even the AAC.....sad but true. Miller and Shaka saw the writing on the wall, and Dan sees it too.

There have been backchannel discussions for a while. Just saying what I've heard.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obviously no one can officially comment on things until our season is over.

Also, no announcement from UConn could happen until the Ollie situation is resolved. He is technically still employed but suspended with pay.

The earliest date I've heard mentioned is March 25th.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, Dan is totally focused on Duke right now and was totally focused on Oklahoma before that. He wouldn't be in discussions with UConn at this point. His agent would.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we knew right now that Dan is gone....I would sell my soul for a national championship.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Still to be settled is Ollie’s contract dispute. He was signed through 2021 and is owed more than $10 million, which UConn is trying to avoid paying, or spur negotiations for a compromise, with its move to fire Ollie for just cause. The program is the subject of an ongoing NCAA inquiry into recruiting practices, but the school believes it has enough information to reach the standards for just-cause termination. Ollie and the UConn chapter of the American Association of University Professors are contesting, and by the collective bargaining agreement he must have a hearing, not yet scheduled, with Benedict to be given UConn’s evidence by March 25.

Technically, until the process, which could eventually include another hearing with UConn President Susan Herbst and then arbitration, is finished, Ollie remains employed, suspended with pay. It is not clear if UConn could hire another coach before resolving this; the union’s position is it cannot. With all Ollie’s assistants still under contract, associate head coach Raphael Chillious is serving as interim head coach.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, Dan is totally focused on Duke right now and was totally focused on Oklahoma before that. He wouldn't be in discussions with UConn at this point. His agent would.
And his agent doesn't decide. He can reach a deal and then try to sell it to Dan - that's his job, he'd be a terrible agent if he didn't do that.

Look, I've been trying to straddle this a little bit because I can honestly see it both ways. If I say my reading of the tea leaves leads me to believe that Dan is going to UConn, if he doesn't I didn't trust him and bought into media speculation. If I say that I don't think the UConn gig represents enough of an upgrade over URI right now to make that jump and he will wait it out for something a little better, then if he goes I'm naive. The bottom line truth is that beyond speculation and rumors, I know nothing and I have no way of assessing the credibility or the degree of insight of any of the sources claiming to know.

I believe Dan is UConn's target and he would have to make a decision that very few coaches (but not none) have made in the history of the sport to turn them down. And yet, I believe it will be a hard decision for him to make. Even if he has told someone he is going to do it, until he signs on the line you never know. At the risk of being seen as naive by anyone that knows for a fact that a decision has been made, I think it will be really hard for him to leave this situation. I think he likes it and feels good about it here. I think there are valid concerns about the UConn job. On the other hand, UConn is able to offer him things that URI cannot in terms of salary and niceties that would definitely make his job considerably easier.

These decisions are always hard. In the last three years, I've accepted an offer to join another firm, went to resign and was talked into staying, had to back out of my commitment; then a year later I accepted another offer, actually left, never felt great about it and ended up leaving that firm to go back to where I started. At each step, the decisions were hard and were 51/49 decisions. I decided, then undecided, then redecided, then unredecided. The factors that went into it were all over the place: money, benefits, commute, quality of life, professional exposure, the type of work I was doing, the people I'd be doing it with. Anyone that has gone thru a similar process will recognize the nonlinear way that these decisions are made and the potential for changing your mind, doubting your first instinct, the appeal of something fresh, the comfortability of something familiar, the thoughts of what else you could do for your family with the extra cash.

So these are hard choices. I find it very hard to believe that all of that internal process has played out for Dan and his family considering what else he's had going on, unless he was committed to getting out of here no matter what or UConn is his dream job - both somewhat hard for me to believe, but again I know nothing. My gut tells me that UConn probably feels great about their offer, that his agent thinks he got Dan what he says he wants and should take it, and that Dan has some late nights ahead (hopefully in a few weeks) picking the brains of his coaching friends and mentors, weighing the pros and cons, and wrestling with what he wants the rest of his career to look like. Or maybe he decided the minute his agent told him UConn would open the bank for his salary, assistants salary, charters, facilities, etc.

I don't know, and if anyone does know there aren't a lot of them posting about it on the internet. So I choose not to worry about it and instead get myself fired up for tomorrow. There is one way to make sure tomorrow is not Dan's last game at Rhody, and that is to kick Duke's ass! And if this plays out the way everyone thinks it is supposed to, if Duke handles us and Dan takes the UConn job by next weekend, I hope we will all handle it like grown ups and be appreciative of what Dan did for this program and of the fact that he is leaving it 10,000X better off than he found it.

Go Rhody. Beat Duke.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, Dan is totally focused on Duke right now and was totally focused on Oklahoma before that. He wouldn't be in discussions with UConn at this point. His agent would.
Dan’s quote included that he hadn’t thought of any other job, not even for one minute.
He agent isn’t making the decision. Dan would have to think a lot about an offer if it was basically done.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Folks got some names for your sources that are saying Dan’s a Husky?

Post the facts.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote:...if Duke handles us and Dan takes the UConn job by next weekend, I hope we will all handle it like grown ups and be appreciative of what Dan did for this program and of the fact that he is leaving it 10,000X better off than he found it.
This, everyone. This. That said... really hope he realizes the grass isn't always greener. He has a good thing that's on the cusp of being a long-term great thing. We are set up to have a legitimate chance to be exactly where we are right now every season the next 4 with the players we have returning and the class coming in... the sky is the limit.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I go back to his stock being the highest it will ever be here and the money on the table. Dan stays, every team in the A10 is better next year, and we start with a new starting 5...life without Batman and Batman who were criticical pieces to every win we’ve had over the past 2-3 seasons. HUGE shoes to fill...and there is always that unknown of how talents will transfer from HS to college. He may be thinking if he doesn’t do as well the next two seasons he won’t be as wanted as he is right now. As this moment he can command his worth, rather than be told what it is. That is my fear so I can’t assume anything being a forgone conclusion. If UCONN can offer him some guarantees and a 2-4M dollar raise, UCONN sounds like a no brainer if URI can’t promise anything close. I do believe it’s a lateral conference wise...but that’s about it. Either way, I’m firm that we will be OK if URI does the smart thing and hires Cox as a replacement if DH decides to move on for whatever reason.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

DC_Rams wrote:I go back to his stock being the highest it will ever be here and the money on the table. Dan stays, every team in the A10 is better next year, and we start with a new starting 5...life without Batman and Batman who were criticical pieces to every win we’ve had over the past 2-3 seasons. HUGE shoes to fill...and there is always that unknown of how talents will transfer from HS to college. He may be thinking if he doesn’t do as well the next two seasons he won’t be as wanted as he is right now. As this moment he can command his worth, rather than be told what it is. That is my fear so I can’t assume anything being a forgone conclusion. If UCONN can offer him some guarantees and a 2-4M dollar raise, UCONN sounds like a no brainer if URI can’t promise anything close. I do believe it’s a lateral conference wise...but that’s about it. Either way, I’m firm that we will be OK if URI does the smart thing and hires Cox as a replacement if DH decides to move on for whatever reason.
We really don't have a new starting 5. We return 4 players that I think all start next year on opening night. Fatts, Dowtin, Thompson, and Cyril. (And Big Mike/Akele could easily be the fifth)

I don't think we lose as much going into next season as some may think. Obviously losing a few future professional basketball players via graduation will hurt but that's the game -- that's how college basketball works. Guys graduate or go pro, this isn't anything new and I don't think that what Danny has set up for next year will be a reason to leave. If anything, that's the reason to stay. Especially if there's people already doubting us. ;)
Last edited by the_one_mike 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mike, hope you’re right, I’ve never been much of an optimist...so don’t mind me.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

DC_Rams wrote:Mike, hope you’re right, I’ve never been much of an optimist...so don’t mind me.
See, but that's the thing. Me either. I'm the eternal realist, and I truly think that the 4 players I mentioned above are EASILY an NCAA tournament quality core. Think about it, in the tournament some of our most key plays both this year and last have come from Fatts and Dowtin. Cyril versus Oregon. They will all be back.

Add some improvements to Ryan, Akele, Big Mike, some surprises deeper off the bench... then inject some ESPN top-100 young talent and you have a recipe for something dangerous. This team's attitude could turn from winners to killers next year depending on how these youngins establish themselves. This season we graduate the last of our players that really saw the program during a historic lull and I truly believe this incoming freshman class will establish the winning culture Danny wants here in Kingston.
3 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

UConn should focus on Ryan Odom...
3 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I just don't see him leaving yet. Feel there's more he wants to accomplish here. Feel he's cut from the same cloth as Bob Sr. Feel he's going to be loyal to the school that has done their best to support him as much as possible throughout this journey, and will continue to do so. Feel he wants to build something special at a place where it hasn't been done before. He has an excellent core 3 returning and an excellent recruiting class coming in. Has a beautiful arena to play in. Has built up the fan base, and that will only continue to grow after the success of this year. Family loves it here. All of these things ring through my head when I continue to read and hear about the UCONN and Pitt openings. Do I think he will be here forever? Of course not. Just don't see it happening yet.

With all that being said, I sure hope I'm right!
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RamIt! wrote:UConn should focus on Ryan Odom...
Beat me to it!
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

There's one thing I'm pretty confident on and that is that DH will give Thorr and co every chance to keep him here, I don't think we have to match dollar for dollar, but we have to continue to be addressing his requests, to this point they have all been designed to better the program, every time his contract has been tweaked it's been for sustainability. DH, Thorr and Dooley have done something we never thought would happen, they have changed the face of the program, we're not on a lucky run, we're a great destination for recruits. DH is staying and he is going to continue to transform our beloved program into one of the best in the land. Don't get me wrong, he has to get properly compensated, he can't keep turning down offers that can double his wealth overnight. If we want to keep a good thing going the University has to get real with how this coaching staff is paid. We are talking about smart folks who understand how much the whole institution benefits from their hard work and let's face it DH is currently the brightest star at URI. URI can't afford to not pay, in for a penny in for a pound.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really like DH and feel he is the best coach we ever had. I like the way he conducts himself and represents the program.

I admit I will be a bit salty if he leaves URI for UConn . I don't mind him leaving for a better job than UConn in 2 years if it opens and I will root for his teams to do well. If he goes to UConn now I can't say I will be pulling for him to do that great.
2 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Maybe the new zen Dan likes his meditation by the ocean rather than in cow fields. Who knows, but I sure hope he stays. Gary Parrish frequently says on his podcast that he used to criticize coaches for staying / going but as he's gotten older he's realized there's a lot more to the decision, everything from where kids are in school to quality of life to your wife's friends. UConn is a bit of a mess right now, but clearly there are things they can offer that URI can't, and I think there's something to be said for selling high.
1 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Connecticut fans are not loyal. They only support the school when they win.
Connecticut fans are cheapskates. Their endowment is pitiful.
Connecticut is use to throwing money at every problem. That will change next November.
Connecticut has had a history of ethics related problems for a long time.

Rhode Island has much more to offer than Connecticut's mess.
Dan Hurley is a man of integrity, unlike anything D1 has seen. He is unique. His approach to his profession is honest. He would be out of place at Connecticut.
5 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Ct- could not have said it better!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don’t get people on this board. Jesus Christ if you can’t figure out who the people on this board are who actually know what’s going on behind the scenes here...I would like to sell you this bridge I own in Newport.

Just because you like someone and want to date them...no matter how much money you have...doesn’t mean they just agree to date you.

Of course there’s interest. There’s an offer. Doesn’t mean Dan is taking it.

And again...why can’t you people just enjoy this? Biggest game in 20 years and you’re freaking out about a “done deal” that you have no knowledge on. Christ.

Go Rhody. Beat Duke.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

skwalk47 wrote:Maybe the new zen Dan likes his meditation by the ocean rather than in cow fields. Who knows, but I sure hope he stays. Gary Parrish frequently says on his podcast that he used to criticize coaches for staying / going but as he's gotten older he's realized there's a lot more to the decision, everything from where kids are in school to quality of life to your wife's friends. UConn is a bit of a mess right now, but clearly there are things they can offer that URI can't, and I think there's something to be said for selling high.
One of the thing that worries me about the "loves where he lives, wife loves RI too, kids are in school" argument for staying, and the "ocean is better then a cow field" argument is that Storrs is only 63 miles from Saunderstown and he could commute easily enough. Google maps says it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive. That's not a killer commute, although I would'nt want to drive by the Kingston campus twice a day. Not sure the route includes driving by the campus, though, and it's close to a situation where he could have his cake and eat it too if UConn is that alluring for whatever reason(s).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Come on, everybody.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

This is like two years ago all over again with all the rumors swirling around. Remember all those "sources" who claimed to have inside information, guaranteeing that Dan to Rutgers was a done deal? How did that work out? Unless I hear something directly from Dan's mouth (which isn't happening), I'm choosing not to believe anything. If he accepts UCONN's offer, I assume it will happen very quickly after our season ends in which case everyone will swiftly be put out of their misery. And if he leaves, then he leaves. I won't be happy about it, but Rhody Nation will survive. And I sure as hell won't be rooting for him to do well there, sorry. I can't stand UCONN and their entitled, obnoxious fan base. I truly feel we have a much better situation here, but it's possible that Dan doesn't feel the same way. Time will tell.

But I don't care about any of that right now. We have a game to play today! Let's go out there and show Duke what URI basketball is all about. They might have the size, but we have the toughness. And we have great veteran leadership on this team. Take it to 'em early and often and don't let up. Let's make history today. GO RHODY!!!
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hate to say this, but Andrea and the kids could stay in RI and Dan could get a place there....I think he could afford it.....

And he still would be in RI for May-Sept.......might not be a good look though.

I really hope not however. Whatever happens, get it over with quickly.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not surprisingly, Ryan Odom's name is popping up all over the place now.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:One thing to consider is that the coaches involved don’t always have the same view of a position as people do from the outside. You can objectively list reasons why a certain job wouldn’t be worth it- and they are perfectly valid- but those same things may not hold true or be as important to the guy involved. They bring their own experiences and histories in the game to the deal. So far, it’s worked in Rhode Island’s favor, but there are some things about that UConn job, for example, that work too.
You are starting to worry me, Ace.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody74 wrote:
ace wrote:One thing to consider is that the coaches involved don’t always have the same view of a position as people do from the outside. You can objectively list reasons why a certain job wouldn’t be worth it- and they are perfectly valid- but those same things may not hold true or be as important to the guy involved. They bring their own experiences and histories in the game to the deal. So far, it’s worked in Rhode Island’s favor, but there are some things about that UConn job, for example, that work too.
Exactly. I wasn’t worried at all until Ace posted this.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:Hate to say this, but Andrea and the kids could stay in RI and Dan could get a place there....I think he could afford it.....

And he still would be in RI for May-Sept.......might not be a good look though.

I really hope not however. Whatever happens, get it over with quickly.
Thank you for proving you don't know the 1st thing about Hurley.

A man who values family above all is going to live away from them for 8 months of the year for $$?? GTFO

FYI, Andrea aka Momma Hurley is as involved with the players and team as Dan is
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
She also said," Nothing is promised. Enjoy this ride."
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote: You are starting to worry me, Ace.
She also said," Nothing is promised. Enjoy this ride."
Well that's it then. I wonder if he'll even show up to the Duke game today?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

One would have thought the 78s would be laser focused in our chance to beat Duke for the first time in 3 hours from now.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:One would have thought the 78s would be laser focused in our chance to beat Duke for the first time in 3 hours from now.
I am. I'm the one discussing the game in the Duke thread. Not many others are.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Didn't you also post you heard its almost a done deal Billyboy 78 ?? That's not exactly putting us in the best of moods on the day of one of our biggest games in program history
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This thread is why our fan base sucks.

Worry about PLAYING THE GOD DAMN #2 SEED BLUE DEVILS.

Holy Christ y’all will find anything to be miserable about to matter how good things are at the moment. What a miserable way to live.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:Didn't you also post you heard its almost a done deal Billyboy 78 ?? That's not exactly putting us in the best of moods on the day of one of our biggest games in program history
Fine. I will keep information to myself. Anybody who doesn't think I love Rhody basketball with all of my heart doesn't know me. I live and die with this team and have for 45 years. But I seem to rub people the wrong way. I will continue to follow this board because I enjoy it here. But this is my last post. Go Rhody!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Don't do that. Post! Post! Post!
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
reef wrote:Didn't you also post you heard its almost a done deal Billyboy 78 ?? That's not exactly putting us in the best of moods on the day of one of our biggest games in program history
Fine. I will keep information to myself. Anybody who doesn't think I love Rhody basketball with all of my heart doesn't know me. I live and die with this team and have for 45 years. But I seem to rub people the wrong way. I will continue to follow this board because I enjoy it here. But this is my last post. Go Rhody!!

There will be plenty of time for posts on the matter when Rhody is no longer playing. All focus now should be on the games we are playing. Conjecture can wait.
3 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

The fact that fans can't multi task and think or talk about multiple subjects is mind-boggling. Here's an idea, if you don't want to talk about the coaching carousel, don't click on the thread. A lot of people will be eating crow in a week or two. Hopefully it doesn't change your opinions of Coach Hurley, as he's done a remarkable job here.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am fine just going to trust the process and hope it works in our favor. Nothing will take away the excitement I have for this game about to start been waiting 30 years for this revenge on Duke !!!
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
RamIt! wrote:UConn should focus on Ryan Odom...
Beat me to it!
He was supposed to be a done deal for the East Carolina job. I wonder if last night's game will change that?
0 x
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

TruePoint wrote:
And his agent doesn't decide. He can reach a deal and then try to sell it to Dan - that's his job, he'd be a terrible agent if he didn't do that.

Look, I've been trying to straddle this a little bit because I can honestly see it both ways. If I say my reading of the tea leaves leads me to believe that Dan is going to UConn, if he doesn't I didn't trust him and bought into media speculation. If I say that I don't think the UConn gig represents enough of an upgrade over URI right now to make that jump and he will wait it out for something a little better, then if he goes I'm naive. The bottom line truth is that beyond speculation and rumors, I know nothing and I have no way of assessing the credibility or the degree of insight of any of the sources claiming to know.

I believe Dan is UConn's target and he would have to make a decision that very few coaches (but not none) have made in the history of the sport to turn them down. And yet, I believe it will be a hard decision for him to make. Even if he has told someone he is going to do it, until he signs on the line you never know. At the risk of being seen as naive by anyone that knows for a fact that a decision has been made, I think it will be really hard for him to leave this situation. I think he likes it and feels good about it here. I think there are valid concerns about the UConn job. On the other hand, UConn is able to offer him things that URI cannot in terms of salary and niceties that would definitely make his job considerably easier.

These decisions are always hard. In the last three years, I've accepted an offer to join another firm, went to resign and was talked into staying, had to back out of my commitment; then a year later I accepted another offer, actually left, never felt great about it and ended up leaving that firm to go back to where I started. At each step, the decisions were hard and were 51/49 decisions. I decided, then undecided, then redecided, then unredecided. The factors that went into it were all over the place: money, benefits, commute, quality of life, professional exposure, the type of work I was doing, the people I'd be doing it with. Anyone that has gone thru a similar process will recognize the nonlinear way that these decisions are made and the potential for changing your mind, doubting your first instinct, the appeal of something fresh, the comfortability of something familiar, the thoughts of what else you could do for your family with the extra cash.

So these are hard choices. I find it very hard to believe that all of that internal process has played out for Dan and his family considering what else he's had going on, unless he was committed to getting out of here no matter what or UConn is his dream job - both somewhat hard for me to believe, but again I know nothing. My gut tells me that UConn probably feels great about their offer, that his agent thinks he got Dan what he says he wants and should take it, and that Dan has some late nights ahead (hopefully in a few weeks) picking the brains of his coaching friends and mentors, weighing the pros and cons, and wrestling with what he wants the rest of his career to look like. Or maybe he decided the minute his agent told him UConn would open the bank for his salary, assistants salary, charters, facilities, etc.

I don't know, and if anyone does know there aren't a lot of them posting about it on the internet. So I choose not to worry about it and instead get myself fired up for tomorrow. There is one way to make sure tomorrow is not Dan's last game at Rhody, and that is to kick Duke's ass! And if this plays out the way everyone thinks it is supposed to, if Duke handles us and Dan takes the UConn job by next weekend, I hope we will all handle it like grown ups and be appreciative of what Dan did for this program and of the fact that he is leaving it 10,000X better off than he found it.

Go Rhody. Beat Duke.
I think a W over Duke and he is going to stay at URI no doubt. S16 with win over Duke to use as a recruiting tool will really help.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

DH will be less marketable after next season, so unless he's here for the long term, he will leave. I don't fault anyone for reaching for the stars. Why is Ed Cooley less desirable than DH? It is not a good reflection on a head coach when a team fades in late season for no apparent reason. DH is still growing as a coach. The biggest problem in URI losing a coach is losing the the players he's recruiting. Does Thor have Preston's number on speed dial? DH is a good option for the future, but there are other good options as well.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
This is unacceptable-your scouting reports alone are a forum highlight. Chill and come back!!

This topic in regards to Hurley however should be shelved until we are eliminated IMO.

Plenty of time to discuss when prudent. As I said before this stuff is getting read nationally and possibly quoted as fact. I’ve heard stuff too, but the only fact that matters is what DH decides. I would never contribute to noise that hurts our program.

Let’s go get the game we been waiting for! Beat dem Devils!

I actually think making over $1m a year coaching my Rams and building a primo program is a dream job. Great building, practice facility coming, money coming in via winning and a in state rival to hate.

Perfect - hoop heaven !

Go Rhody.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody72 wrote:DH will be less marketable after next season, so unless he's here for the long term, he will leave. I don't fault anyone for reaching for the stars. Why is Ed Cooley less desirable than DH? It is not a good reflection on a head coach when a team fades in late season for no apparent reason. DH is still growing as a coach. The biggest problem in URI losing a coach is losing the the players he's recruiting. Does Thor have Preston's number on speed dial? DH is a good option for the future, but there are other good options as well.
Couldn’t disagree more. Dan is doing this at URI with two top 100 recruits and a bunch of low ranked guys and transfers. His recruiting continues to increase as the URI brand name increases. If he stayed, this program is only going to continue to improve as the talent level improves.
4 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Here we go... Make the decision quickly and do everything to keep incoming class intact
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......although Dan has delivered what he said he would, the unfinished business for him, IMHO, is the sustained status of the program he has built into a multi year successful team......so, he stays......Zags of the east status is still out their to be achieved.......he is not done.....
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I tell you what. It sounded like more people were pulling for URI than Duke.
1 x