The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

NJRhodyFan wrote:Guys, haven't you heard? He's already on his way to Storrs. The UCONN Blog says so. They're arrogant AND delusional.

Besides Thamel, every writer asked about it outside of our local guys thinks he’s UConn bound. We’re calling something delusion when it’s more likely than it is not.

UConn has narrowed their search to Hurley, Crean, Martin, and Matta. Matta has bowed out, Crean is about to go to Georgia, and Zags said Martin isn’t expected to be a finalist. That leaves just DH.

Hurley built a legit program here. Even if he leaves, it’s a bigger job than it ever has been before. Nothing will change that. I love coach Cox, but I hope we aim higher that him if it comes to that point. Joe Dooley, Nate Oats, Earl Grant... lot of great young coaching talent out there on the east coast.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

HuskiesAllDay wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:UConn is Al Bundy...

a broken down has been that cant accept what their lives have become so they sit there and crow about how great they were until they believe their delusions.

they may as well be saying "when I scored 4 touchdowns in a game for Polk High"
Ok I've seen enough that I don't feel compelled to be nice anymore. You are all delusional jerks.

If Uconn is Al Bundy, what does that make you guys? A program that has done absolute squat in the history of ncaa basketball absolutely destroying a program that has a 20 year resume that stacks up against all other schools in their entire history. Polk High? UCONN HAS TWO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS THIS DECADE. 4 SINCE 1999. THAT IS TWICE AS MANY TITLES AS YOU HAVE NCAA TOURNAMENT WINS. TWICE AS MANY NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS AS WINS.

This is insanity to me how delusional you all are. your miracle season is quickly turning into shambles and here you all are throwing shade at someone else. To use your Polk High example; if Polk High is NCAA basketball, Uconn is the captain of the soccer team and URI is the backup Tuba player. nobody knows who you are and nobody cares.

I cant believe I come on here and you guys are calling Uconn fans delusional. Our school has actually accomplished something. A heck of a lot actually. Like more than almost every other school. So at least we have a reason to be delusional about something. What have you guys accomplished? One regular season A-10 championship. WOWZERS. I am awe struck.
I'm sorry, I was too busy watching a basketball game earlier as my team is still playing. So what's it like having to sit and wait for 8 months to see yours play their next game?
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:We are not locking the thread. Let's be grown ups. To the extent we are worried about this UConn troll, we will not be hearing from him anymore. He sleeps with the seanmc94s.
Thank you. It's clear they weren't representing themselves accurately
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

That was quite a tantrum.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow did the UConn board really post that ??? How pompous
Can't wait to see their reaction when DH spurns them
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: Nate Oats is a coach I think could be up for a bigger job if he wanted it. I don’t know if his wife’s health will play any role in that or not. Bobby took a lot from that Buffalo program when he left, and Nate has done a tremendous job. They’re on their way to being 7-0 in conference (leading Eastern Michigan by 14 in the second half).
From a month ago, but still this. Get it, Nate!
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

From the UConn Board:

“But honestly, my buddy at the UConn AD says it's 100% in on Hurley right now and the worst kept secret ever. They're not even trying to hide it. They made him a monster offer. Cash is nice, but benefits are stuuuuuuuuuuuupid. They feel really, really, really good about it. Rumor is - he's coming here - or he's staying. Pitt isn't on the table. He loves it in Rhode Island to the point where he's not sure he wants to leave.

Which - if that's true, I'm not even mad about. Nice to see a guy care about what he's built. Although I'd love him here. I don't think that once”

That’s from the UConn Board late last night. Still don’t see Dan going to UConn for the reasons mentioned earlier, but the “cash is nice” part doesn’t sound like 3mm a year offer.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

One thing to consider is that the coaches involved don’t always have the same view of a position as people do from the outside. You can objectively list reasons why a certain job wouldn’t be worth it- and they are perfectly valid- but those same things may not hold true or be as important to the guy involved. They bring their own experiences and histories in the game to the deal. So far, it’s worked in Rhode Island’s favor, but there are some things about that UConn job, for example, that work too.
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

UConn was 100% the result of one of the top four coaches of all time in Calhoun. Guy took a small state school in a cow field that had never done anything and won 3.95 national titles. Duke had been to a final four just a few years before K got there. I would never fault DH for wanting to take the next step. I just think UConn is a dud. Pitt is 100% a better job. I actually think URI is a better job than UConn now if you take money out of the equation (which I know you obviously can't).
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote:UConn was 100% the result of one of the top four coaches of all time in Calhoun. Guy took a small state school in a cow field that had never done anything and won 3.95 national titles. Duke had been to a final four just a few years before K got there. I would never fault DH for wanting to take the next step. I just think UConn is a dud. Pitt is 100% a better job. I actually think URI is a better job than UConn now if you take money out of the equation (which I know you obviously can't).
accurate. and thankfully our coach is of the breed to diminish the value of money in the equation.

it ain't easy going to a program that has 1 coach success. no matter what you do, it wont be good enough, and you'll never be considered as good as that coach.

You're basically sitting on the throne of someone else's personal kingdom
0 x
---
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dan Hurley will leave Rhode Island when 2 things happen:

A blue blood program with a storied history from multiple coaches comes calling

AND

URI stops proactively pushing the envelope for program enhancements.

He's not jumping around from spot to spot. He is particular about what his program needs and how his players need to play. He talks about "culture" all the time. That takes years to build.

Not for nothing, the guy isn't built to coach "Cadillacs." Top 5 or top 10 guys who have handlers and don't want to commit to defense, won't dive on loose balls, won't grind for games. He wants the under-appreciated guys. Whether they're under-sized or a top 50 kid that feels like he should be top 10 and got recruited over. People with chips on their shoulder. Those kids don't go to those big schools.

As long as URI takes the money from the NCAA runs; invests it back to the program for things like charter flights to games AND recruiting trips, a practice facility, and an expanded assistant coaches pool to keep Dave Cox around - he won't be going anywhere.

The second he feels URI isn't giving what he's giving to the program, he'll be gone.

Everything you'll hear this offseason is negotiation for him to keep getting that here. The offers are still very real, but if URI continues to be serious about basketball like Dan is, he'll be on the sidelines here for many years to come.

(All of that still ignoring that he is a family man first, and their needs come before his own)
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

Let’s run this idea up the flag pole. DH and Thorr ridding on the publicity of all the UCONN talk, article in the Hartford Courant this am. Great publicity for Rhody, DH stays and Rhody gets all the chatter and Brand recognition.
Bring on Duke!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

to add to Blue Man's post, as long as Thorr is around I have no doubt Dan will get what he wants. He and Thorr have the same vision and are in lock step with each other, its a true coach/AD partnership.

Most importantly, Dooley is on board too.

edit: as much as it can make us nervous having Hurley's name in the news everytime a job opens up, it is also a big recruiting tool. All it does is add more recognition and power to his name as a top coach and makes his/RI's brand even bigger
3 x
---
---
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I don't know if anyone was listening to Chris Russo and Bob Wenzel yesterday on SiriusXM but they had Hurley on and afterwards were discussing the Hurley to UConn rumors. Russo asked Wenzel what he thought and Wenzel said that if he was Hurley he wouldn't go (after Russo asked about their positions in their respective conferences) because Rhode Island is in a better position to compete in the A10 than UConn is in the AAC and he thinks the conferences are basically equal.

He also said he thinks that Memphis is a better job than UConn.
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

DH aside. And UConn's missteps aside. I think the perception of UConn on this board is a bit off.

I would say you cant argue with national titles. But of course people here are doing just that.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:DH aside. And UConn's missteps aside. I think the perception of UConn on this board is a bit off.

I would say you cant argue with national titles. But of course people here are doing just that.
What we're arguing is that these national titles were the result of better recruits who came because they were in the Big East. Even their last title, while they were in the AAC, their main players were recruited while they were a Big East school and weren't in danger of going to the AAC. Now UConn is competing with schools in major conferences while they are in a conference with terrible basketball schools.

It's a very difficult place to recruit at. It wasn't when they were in the Big East.
Last edited by scine20 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Blue Man wrote: Not for nothing, the guy isn't built to coach "Cadillacs." Top 5 or top 10 guys who have handlers and don't want to commit to defense, won't dive on loose balls, won't grind for games. He wants the under-appreciated guys. Whether they're under-sized or a top 50 kid that feels like he should be top 10 and got recruited over. People with chips on their shoulder. Those kids don't go to those big schools.
Coach K at after the Duke game the other day was asked about how much do you let your players go on instinct and how much is it coaching, he stated that he let's them run on instinct and that you don't want to over coach them...

At that level, I can only imagine how difficult it is to coach these one and done kids, doesn't sound like a fun job except for the recognition, namesake and money... all things Hurley does not seem to exude.
Last edited by RamIt! 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:DH aside. And UConn's missteps aside. I think the perception of UConn on this board is a bit off.

I don't think anyone on this board is arguing with national titles.

People are saying that national title UConn is a thing of the past.

The 2014 title was won with Calhoun/Old Big East recruited, Calhoun coached players. That's a long time ago.

By bids per year and the highest seed:
2018: A10 - 3 (7) AAC - 3 (2)
2017: A10 - 3 (7) AAC - 2 (6)
2016: A10 - 3 (7) AAC - 4 (8)
2015: A10 - 3 (7) AAC - 2 (6)
2014: A10 - 6 (5) AAC - 4 (4)

In overall conference bids? The AAC has 198 to the A10's 151. However of the 33 from Temple, 30 came from the A10. Every school in that had success in a different conference, and the change has cost those schools a lot of that cache.

Why does this matter? Because Dan Hurley cares about winning and going to the NCAAT. He won 25 with Wagner and didn't even get a NIT invite. That's the only reason he left - and it was HARD for him. Look at those NCAA births and tell me which conference is plainly better?

You can't. So to act like UConn is such a massive step up just because they can throw more cash at the coach is folly.

They also have standards so out of whack that if you miss the NCAA tournament after winning a national championship within 4 years - they'll fire you and call the cops on themselves so they don't have to pay you. Does that sound like a dream job? Hmmmmmm job security and built up program vs unrealistic high standards and a rebuild...

If this were 2012, a lot more people would be worried about the UConn job. Now it's a rebuild at a football school.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

no, you're ignoring the big change in UConn's situation since winning those titles.

It's like the hot girl example someone used earlier.

Doesn't matter if someone used to be a 10...a 10 + 100lbs isnt a 10 anymore
2 x
---
---
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I think it comes down to money with UConn. This is not saying DH is chasing money or puts money first. But, if they put 7 years $20-$25 million or more on the table? Tough to turn that down. Now you are getting into generational money.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote:I think it comes down to money with UConn. This is not saying DH is chasing money or puts money first. But, if they put 7 years $20-$25 million or more on the table? Tough to turn that down. Now you are getting into generational money.
the state doesn't have that kind of cash to throw around anymore. plus UConn is proving the amount of the contract doesnt matter...how much of that 5/18 deal is Ollie gonna see?

also those totals are the same per year that Dan said no thanks to at Rutgers (Pikiell is getting 5/15)
1 x
---
---
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thank you blue man!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Since we are set up to continue to be good, with maybe a slight dip next year but that's it.....Dan can wait to pick what offer he wants down the road a bit.

It's not like he has a complete rebuild like Miller would have had at Dayton.

If that were true...then bye bye.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I think it comes down to money with UConn. This is not saying DH is chasing money or puts money first. But, if they put 7 years $20-$25 million or more on the table? Tough to turn that down. Now you are getting into generational money.
the state doesn't have that kind of cash to throw around anymore. plus UConn is proving the amount of the contract doesnt matter...how much of that 5/18 deal is Ollie gonna see?

also those totals are the same per year that Dan said no thanks to at Rutgers (Pikiell is getting 5/15)
Ollie will see most, if not all, of it. Just posturing. And I doubt DH would go anywhere, especially now UConn, without that being an airtight contract. Did Ollie really get over $3MM/year? Damn. Maybe they throw 4+ at the next coach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rumor is, boosters are funding whatever buyout Ollie ends up with. Same happened here [on a much smaller scale of course] when Baron was booted.

So UConn can offer a huge contract to a new coach....some of it will likely be incentive driven, like the contract Edsall has.

There are questions as to how serious the recruiting violations are...if they aren't, then the penalties could be light and of short duration.

Still, can't see Dan going to an AAC school. He would always have the specter of Calhoun's national titles over his head. That's an impossible burden to deal with, much less achieve again.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ing-change
Eight Pittsburgh players ask to explore transfer options in wake of coaching change

Mess at Pitt. Some guys in a car saw us with our Rhody gear on before yesterday's game here in Pitt and yelled out to us "We are going to steal your coach!" as they drove by. We assume they were Pitt fans...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

8 players leaving Pitt.

Yeah sure, Dan is going there. NOT.

5 year rebuild...in an impossible conference to recruit.

What about Arizona? NO players left....none coming in.....Sean it's been nice knowing you!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe instead of Dan going to Pitt, we get one of their players to transfer here. That would be sweet.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s likely that some or most of the Pitt guys will stay once a new coach is named. The Stallings hire was just so completely awful. The school put feelers out to several guys at the time, including Dan, and I just don’t see how they arrived at Stallings.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

From Hoops Weiss

my guy greg Crawford reports jim harrick to be names top assistant at cal state Northridge. wired to the left coast
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote:From Hoops Weiss

my guy greg Crawford reports jim harrick to be names top assistant at cal state Northridge. wired to the left coast
Senior? Or Slickee-boy Junior?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Grass ain’t always greener.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......”shelf life .....how long”......a perishable item......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Uconn fans are reporting that Uconn has made a monster offer ton Dan Hurley. One person who claims to have inside knowledge claims they feel really really really good about it. However that Dan might stay at URI as his wife loves it and is close to the players.

If he stays this offseason, the fan base is going to be LIT! Another double digit season ticket increase, yes please.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hearing the same thing.....it's not a big secret that's for sure....we will know soon.

Am friends with a couple of UConn people with knowledge of the situation.

It's up to Dan and his family.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hope we see another $500k at least added to his salary . Get him close to $2 mill.

We either want to play this game or not. URI has been on the National spotlight all year. I guarantee applications will be up huge this year. Pay the man and keep it going.
Last edited by theblueram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........North NJ, aka RI, is more to their liking......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Two more NCAA games this year off the back of 2 last year will add a ton of new revenue coming into the program. If he stays, selling out the building almost every game next year just continues to add to the revenue streams. Start selling beer throughout the arena, another step in the right direction. This is how you build a program. If you build it, donors will come!
4 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

^---- This guy gets it
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote:Hearing the same thing.....it's not a big secret that's for sure....we will know soon.

Am friends with a couple of UConn people with knowledge of the situation.

It's up to Dan and his family.
Yikes! I hope that if these rumors are indeed true that DH sticks with us and continues to build Rhode into a powerhouse!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, he can go to uconn, which Calhoun built out of nothing, or he can stay here and build RI into a powerhouse. And have his name on it forever.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CT Rhody wrote:Uconn fans are reporting that Uconn has made a monster offer ton Dan Hurley. One person who claims to have inside knowledge claims they feel really really really good about it. However that Dan might stay at URI as his wife loves it and is close to the players.

If he stays this offseason, the fan base is going to be LIT! Another double digit season ticket increase, yes please.
Heard it's close to a done deal. I hope they're wrong. Thorr and Dooley have to step up big time, although there might not be anything they can do. I hope Andrea has the final say.
2 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Billyboy78 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Uconn fans are reporting that Uconn has made a monster offer ton Dan Hurley. One person who claims to have inside knowledge claims they feel really really really good about it. However that Dan might stay at URI as his wife loves it and is close to the players.

Heard it's close to a done deal. I hope they're wrong. Thorr and Dooley have to step up big time, although there might not be anything they can do. I hope Andrea has the final say.
well thats some awful news to read after a shit day at work.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Ace help us out. Say it ain’t so!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, I'm guessing half the Marketing budget could be reallocated. Because, well, nothing has gotten this school more attention this year.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:

Yawn... do yourself a favor and stop believing the BS of BS'ers

Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
---
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

I will say Georgetown insiders said it was a done deal last year and Rutgers a couple of years ago so hopefully there’s that.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I can’t believe that Dan has had even one discussion with UCONN at this point. He is totally focused on preparing the current team for every game. He has not had a break since Ollie was fired. Why would he flat out lie in his press conference on Weds. He didn’t need to be that specific about not talking or thinking about any job even for one minute. I am not saying he will not talk after this season is over. I am saying the rumors that an offer has been made to Dan and it is close to done is not believeable.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”