3/17 | Duke Blue Devils | 2:40PM | CBS (NCAA 2nd Rd.)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gators1
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: 3/17 | Duke Blue Devils | TBA | TBA (NCAA 2nd Rd.)

Unread post by Gators1 »

There's this...

PITTSBURGH -- Duke forward Wendell Carter Jr. says he is playing with a sore Achilles' tendon after the Blue Devils' 89-67 win over Iona in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Thursday.

Carter left the game with 7:50 left and played only 24 minutes. He has been playing with the injury since before the ACC tournament.

Carter says it stems from a sprained ankle he had earlier in the season, and the only thing he can do for treatment is stretching or ice. But doctors said he was in no danger of further injury if he kept playing on it.

As for the way he felt against Iona, Carter said, "I felt good once the adrenaline started going."
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree we won't play zone that's not who we are . Just get out and run on offense hope we are hot from outside and hope we don't get hurt too bad on the low block on defense
Their may be times we play AB and Cyril together but it won't be too start.
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Nate Oats and buffalo beating Arizona right now, i bet not many thought they had a shot. Duke has a helluva a team this year but can be beaten, although this is a pretty terrible matchup for our rams. Duke is 1st in country in offensive rebounding and 2nd in country in giving up least fouls per game.... we're definitely gonna have to shoot well and create turnovers to have a legit shot
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Buffalo sure is playing a great game
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:Playing with house money now. Agree with DPS...we had NO chance vs Kansas in ‘98 and we have about that on Saturday. We’re playing with house money. I hope the team comes out good and relaxed. There should be less pressure in this game than any other game we’ve played in the last 2 years. We aren’t suppose to have a chance so just go out and enjoy the experience and stranger things have happened....
Sorry, I think house money is a bad pre-game take...we didn't come all the way out here for a single win and a "that's nice". ;-)

Get after it Saturday like it could be the last game of the year and lives depended on it, connect with Christian, find out how BC did it..'
BC did it with size. Their starters go 6-11, 6-8, 6-6, 6-5, 6-1. Three guys off the bench with around 10 mins/game are 6-10,6-10, 6-7.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/17 | TBD | TBA | TBA (NCAA 2nd Rd.)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:This is going to be Duke, most likely at 12:15 and on CBS again, but I'll wait to make it official.
2:40 on CBS
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yasssss
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: 3/17 | Duke Blue Devils | 2:40PM | CBS (NCAA 2nd Rd.)

Unread post by twisted3829 »

2nd game of the day and we will be the only game on at that time, all eyes will be on that game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m mostly just happy because my flight gets into Pittsburgh at 10:15, so I would have had enough time to get to a 12:15 tip, but a 2:40 tip takes the edge off.
6 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I have lived my Ram fan life hating Duke. 1978 I was 12 and URI should have won. 1988 I was a student in NJ and the refs robbed us. Tommy had 4 fouls in the first 10 minutes. So I only have one thing to say about tomorrow

F... Duke
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:I have lived my Ram fan life hating Duke. 1978 I was 12 and URI should have won. 1988 I was a student in NJ and the refs robbed us. Tommy had 4 fouls in the first 10 minutes. So I only have one thing to say about tomorrow

F... Duke
Those refs were atrocious! And that tech they called on Kenny Green? His crime was getting up after being pushed to the ground by Leitner! If anything there should have been a foul on Leitner! I'm not sure how those refs slept that night. I actually used to like Duke until that game.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:I’m mostly just happy because my flight gets into Pittsburgh at 10:15, so I would have had enough time to get to a 12:15 tip, but a 2:40 tip takes the edge off.
I'm happy for you TP...but for me, that is the only time slot that I'll be unable to watch. I have a commitment from 3 to 6 tomorrow, so I can watch the first few minutes and that's it. Oh well.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

steviep123 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I’m mostly just happy because my flight gets into Pittsburgh at 10:15, so I would have had enough time to get to a 12:15 tip, but a 2:40 tip takes the edge off.
I'm happy for you TP...but for me, that is the only time slot that I'll be unable to watch. I have a commitment from 3 to 6 tomorrow, so I can watch the first few minutes and that's it. Oh well.
all Im hearing is you're gonna use up all your data streaming it on your phone.

also, reading through their game thread, they dont like the draw. they are uneasy about going against a team with guards, experience and toughness like us.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
all Im hearing is you're gonna use up all your data streaming it on your phone.

also, reading through their game thread, they dont like the draw. they are uneasy about going against a team with guards, experience and toughness like us.
"all Im hearing is you're gonna use up all your data streaming it on your phone."

LOL...I wish.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Perspective is always fun for this board. 2 YEARS AGO TODAY the RhodyMBB twitter account tweeted a photo of Dan Hurley in the RC watching as EC put up shots for the first time since his injury with the caption:

"Preparation for the 2016-2017 season are underway #GoRhody"

And now, here we are, a day away from playing Duke in the round of 32, a position we are in for the second straight year.

GIVE ME DUKE.
9 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

In the postgame last night, my new best friend Nate Oats had an interesting comment: he said they were confident they would win the game coming in even though nobody else even considered it a possibility because they felt they had a big advantage in the backcourt and "in college basketball it's easy to take bigs out of the game because of no defensive three seconds." I know that doesn't really gel with how we typically play, but this isn't a typical matchup for us and it's hard to argue with Buffalo's results.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I do think we have to stick to our basic defensive philosophies and pressure the perimeter to make passing into the post difficult.
However, we are not going to be able to leave Stan, Dre and Cyril on an island against their twin towers (Bagley + Carter). We are going to have to scrape/dig down, or even double the post and give up some perimeter shots IMO. We don't generally do that. I love me some Stanimal, but to ask him to hold a 6'10 McDs AA in check in isolation is asking too much. I wonder if we see some spot time for Akele, or dare I say it, Preston.
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yes, agree with that BAR.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote:I do think we have to stick to our basic defensive philosophies and pressure the perimeter to make passing into the post difficult.
However, we are not going to be able to leave Stan, Dre and Cyril on an island against their twin towers (Bagley + Carter). We are going to have to scrape/dig down, or even double the post and give up some perimeter shots IMO. We don't generally do that. I love me some Stanimal, but to ask him to hold a 6'10 McDs AA in check in isolation is asking too much. I wonder if we see some spot time for Akele, or dare I say it, Preston.
Yeah might as well use up some of Prestons fouls
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Put Big Mike in there and lean on them.....even if he only lasts 5 minutes it could be worth it....
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Coach Hurley's Firsts at URI:

- First Coach to win Atlantic 10 Conference Title
- First Coach to win Atlantic 10 Tournament and Conference Title in Succession
- First Coach to win 20 consecutive Atlantic 10 games
- First Coach to have 7 straight weeks ranked in Top 25
- First Coach to reach a national ranking of 17
- First Coach to win 25+ games 2 years in a row
- First Coach to win NCAA tournament games in 2 consecutive years
- First Coach to do pushups right after winning NCAA tournament game

What's missing? Oh yeah:
FIRST COACH TO BEAT DUKE
11 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Best place to get tickets?
0 x
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

steviep123 wrote:
Rhodyhooopz wrote:I have lived my Ram fan life hating Duke. 1978 I was 12 and URI should have won. 1988 I was a student in NJ and the refs robbed us. Tommy had 4 fouls in the first 10 minutes. So I only have one thing to say about tomorrow

F... Duke
Those refs were atrocious! And that tech they called on Kenny Green? His crime was getting up after being pushed to the ground by Leitner! If anything there should have been a foul on Leitner! I'm not sure how those refs slept that night. I actually used to like Duke until that game.
Wasn't that Danny Ferry that did that? Laettner was a freshmen in 1988-89 season
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It was Ferry.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodysurf wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I do think we have to stick to our basic defensive philosophies and pressure the perimeter to make passing into the post difficult.
Yeah might as well use up some of Prestons fouls
I wonder what their bigs free throw percentages are? I'll have to go look it up. Preston might not be a bad idea to rough up either Bagley or Carter a little bit.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well peeps....here we are.

No one thought we had a chance against Syracuse and their very talented front line back in 1988....2nd round NCAA tourney.

No one thought we had a chance against Kansas and the same back in 1998......2nd round NCAA tourney.

Now no one thinks we have a chance against Duke tomorrow....2nd round NCAA tourney.

Right now we're a "nice story" nationally. If we win tomorrow, we become a lot more than just a nice story.

Just one thing here....if we're on the edge of victory...hope to hell the refs don't screw us. It's always happened against Duke.

If we're ever going to beat them, now's the time.
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

wpbrown8267 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

F... Duke
Wasn't that Danny Ferry that did that? Laettner was a freshmen in 1988-89 season
You're right! It was Ferry, not Leitner.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If we're going to hack one of the bigs, Bagley would be the one. He shoots FTs at only 62 %. Carter is at 73%. Their other starters vary. Duval is surprisingly bad at 58% while Allen and Trent are great FT shooters.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rambone 78 wrote:It was Ferry.
And he's still a punk.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rambone 78 wrote: Just one thing here....if we're on the edge of victory...hope to hell the refs don't screw us. It's always happened against Duke.
The referees are so deferential to Duke that Frankenstein Martelli is envious.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

steviep123 wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
You're right! It was Ferry, not Leitner.

Easy mistake. They were interchangeable in the obnoxious category.
2 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Stan will definitely be guarding Carter. Do you guys agree?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Duke always has a punk. This year it happens to be Allen.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

OU hurt us in the paint, especially in the first half. Then they seemed to change their approach for some reason.
0 x
GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Coach K will pound It inside until we show we can stop them.
We will have to stop the entry pass to the bigs and match Duke's
2 pt baskets in the paint with 3's and turn them over to have a chance.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

encouraging stat from their board...
My main concern for our offense is turnovers. URI's D turns over the opponent's offense 22.7% of the time, which is 5th best in the country. Since the start of conference play we've played 3 teams that collect better than 20% turnovers: Saint John's (loss), Virginia (loss), and NC State (loss).
3 teams that also play small/guard ball. SJU has no one over 6'9, NC State has 1 and he's not a feature player, same for Virginia
5 x
---
---
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:encouraging stat from their board...
My main concern for our offense is turnovers. URI's D turns over the opponent's offense 22.7% of the time, which is 5th best in the country. Since the start of conference play we've played 3 teams that collect better than 20% turnovers: Saint John's (loss), Virginia (loss), and NC State (loss).
3 teams that also play small/guard ball. SJU has no one over 6'9, NC State has 1 and he's not a feature player, same for Virginia
Thank you so much for posting this
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO this Duke team from a talent level is a bigger David v Goliath matchup for us than Syracuse in 88 and Kansas in 98. Would take one helluva performance, my guess is we will need to hit somewhere between 12-15 threes to have a shot. And turn them over quite a bit to limit shots and offensive rebound opps. Go Rhody!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

And you can get your ticket :D
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:IMO this Duke team from a talent level is a bigger David v Goliath matchup for us than Syracuse in 88 and Kansas in 98. Would take one helluva performance, my guess is we will need to hit somewhere between 12-15 threes to have a shot. And turn them over quite a bit to limit shots and offensive rebound opps. Go Rhody!!
i dont think so. This is a good Duke team, but its probably middle of the road by their standards.

They've lost games to teams very similar to us in style, and to teams worse than us this year.

BC beat them
NC State beat them
St Johns beat them
Va Tech beat them

A win is certainly a big upset, but its not a Herculean task either. I'd say beating Seton Hall without EC or Cyril was nearly as big of an ask as beating Duke at full strength is.
2 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
And you can get your ticket :D
I think we had it worked out, but this definitely makes it easier on everyone. :)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like what BAR suggests they should try to pound it down low to either Bags or Carter. When they send the entry pass in we got to send a quick double team and have the rest of the team rotate. This will allow Duke to pass out of the double team to create open outside shots but we rather deal with that and hope they are cold ???
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Best posts I found on a Duke board:

HuffyJB said:
"RI is scrappy, physical, and they have a bunch of older guys."

DukeDenver replied:
"That’s why my daughter isn’t allowed in that state."
8 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
bigappleram wrote:IMO this Duke team from a talent level is a bigger David v Goliath matchup for us than Syracuse in 88 and Kansas in 98. Would take one helluva performance, my guess is we will need to hit somewhere between 12-15 threes to have a shot. And turn them over quite a bit to limit shots and offensive rebound opps. Go Rhody!!
i dont think so. This is a good Duke team, but its probably middle of the road by their standards.

They've lost games to teams very similar to us in style, and to teams worse than us this year.

BC beat them
NC State beat them
St Johns beat them
Va Tech beat them

A win is certainly a big upset, but its not a Herculean task either. I'd say beating Seton Hall without EC or Cyril was nearly as big of an ask as beating Duke at full strength is.
I think the difference is that Duke only became a one and done team in the past few years. Going back, they used to have great veteran teams. This team is very talented, but, except for Allen, very young.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote:Best posts I found on a Duke board:

HuffyJB said:
"RI is scrappy, physical, and they have a bunch of older guys."

DukeDenver replied:
"That’s why my daughter isn’t allowed in that state."
Ok, that's really funny
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I wonder if they should have Fatts go at Allen early. The height doesn't suggest a great match up, but based on Allen's lack of composure and Fatts' style of play maybe he can get Allen frustrated and take him out of the game
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't think playing straight up our game versus their game is a bad strategy. With teams like this you get visions of their top guys just dropping the ball in over and over again. But they get tired. Both Carter/Bagely have been hurt down the stretch.

Most teams and URI certainly likes to have a focus and theme going in. Could be that they make the big guys beat us. Take away Allen and the other guys shooting 3s and dunks.

We had 6 turnovers yesterday. That takes away the transition. Make them play in a phone booth and see if they can call collect.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I wonder if they should have Fatts go at Allen early. The height doesn't suggest a great match up, but based on Allen's lack of composure and Fatts' style of play maybe he can get Allen frustrated and take him out of the game
All 6 are capable of swinging momentum. Allen can think he got by one guy to run right into Stan or Jarvis and get a charge or turnover. URI's style of play eats at teams when it is going good.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

From the "Our editors are WORSE than those at Projo" dept.:
Thanks for the bulletin board material.
Attachments
IMG_1604.JPG
2 x