The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If UConn was scandal free and in the ACC.....but they aren't.

And no high level BE jobs are open either. If Wright were to leave Villanova [not for quite a while], or the X job were to open......
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Are you reading direct quotes from our coach? Versus speculation from people who don’t know him. Check Koch’s twitter.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

rambone 78 wrote:If UConn was scandal free and in the ACC.....but they aren't.

And no high level BE jobs are open either. If Wright were to leave Villanova [not for quite a while], or the X job were to open......
Yup - I'm not incredibly concerned with the current openings. Where there may be a worry is if Mack (Xavier) were to take over at Louisville, Willard (Seton Hall) were to leave for Pitt, or Turgeon is let go at Maryland. I don't think Wright would ever leave Villanova unless Duke or UNC were to become available.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And check disano and Ace and people that actually have a relationship with our coach and understand what makes him tick.
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Section104 wrote:

Yup - I'm not incredibly concerned with the current openings. Where there may be a worry is if Mack (Xavier) were to take over at Louisville, Willard (Seton Hall) were to leave for Pitt, or Turgeon is let go at Maryland. I don't think Wright would ever leave Villanova unless Duke or UNC were to become available.
Based on what I know, this is the most accurate post I've seen. Hurley probably won't be at URI for life, but it will take more that a mid-major that doesn't know it's a mid-major or one of the most difficult major conference jobs to get him to leave.

My guess is there's a better chance that he's at URI three years from now that at Pitt or UConn.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rambone 78 wrote:That's great news. Let's see after the season's over. I hope he still feels the same way......
Please stop worrying out loud..........
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is enough for me.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:And check disano and Ace and people that actually have a relationship with our coach and understand what makes him tick.
Or just continually worry?!? That’s an option too, right?
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

The UCONN board is HIGHLY entertaining if like me, you're working with a premise that Hurley wouldn't be interested in UCONN.

The latest thread has people debating which of our 2019 recruits are worthy of their program and which ones aren't. Shit like, "We'll take Harris, but they can have the rest of them."

Boy, will it be nice to go back and read if Dan announces that he's staying at Rhody.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Just beat me to that one ATP. I'm assuming that is in reference to last season, but hopefully applies here too.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Always applies. The family knows what is going on before fans and media.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Sidenote: any chance Jarvis stays with the team next year as a Grad Assistant or are we expecting him to pursue a career overseas? May be hard with his twins and I know he's been brought up by Hurley in the past as a player that could excel as a coach in the future.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bigsnoop wrote:
Section104 wrote:

Based on what I know, this is the most accurate post I've seen. Hurley probably won't be at URI for life, but it will take more that a mid-major that doesn't know it's a mid-major or one of the most difficult major conference jobs to get him to leave.

My guess is there's a better chance that he's at URI three years from now that at Pitt or UConn.
For the most part I agree, but I guess my question is Willard would leave SHU for Pitt, Hurley would leave URI for SHU, but Hurley would not leave URI for Pitt? Seems like there is an incongruity there.

Note that I'm just questioning this sequence of logic. I am in agreement with the overall point that I am pretty confortable that, based on what is out there for jobs right now, Hurley will be at URI next year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Section104
Art Stephenson

I think the Seton Hall thing is only true because of location, his alma mater, and his son enrolled in school there. That plus I think competing in the Big East at a school like Seton Hall is easier than competing in the ACC at Pitt. Although Hurley isn't money hungry the same can't necessarily be said for Willard and Pitt may throw the Brinks truck at anyone they want to land.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Section104 wrote:Sidenote: any chance Jarvis stays with the team next year as a Grad Assistant or are we expecting him to pursue a career overseas? May be hard with his twins and I know he's been brought up by Hurley in the past as a player that could excel as a coach in the future.
he's certainly good enough to play overseas...but having a young family would likely make that a non option for him.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
HuskiesAllDay
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by HuskiesAllDay »

I am a Uconn fan first, but I spend a lot of time in RI (parents summer house) and "root" for URI as a secondary team. I use quotes because the extent is very small, but if URI is on I will root for them over pretty much anyone else. So I come in peace.

With that said, I cant say that I have enjoyed the repeated smack talk you are laying my beloved school. Some of it is legit, but I think you all are seriously overstating it. Yes, Uconn is in a tough spot right now, but I am sure that almost all of it will be corrected now that we got rid of the main problem. Kevin Ollie was a terrible basketball coach and even worse as a manager of the program. We have decent talent on the team, most of it young and none of it was being used properly or maximized. It was even worse the last few years where we had lots of talent that was wasted. We have a winning tradition that stacks with anyone in the country the last 30 years. I will remind you URI fans who see UConn as a lateral move that UConn has won 4 National Championships between URI's most recent NCAA tournament appearances. We have a world class basketball facility/center. The conference is dragging us down a bit, but the AAC had 3 top 25 teams at the end of the year (2nd most) and Cinci is a 2 seed so it is being overblown.

But finally the point that you are all missing that I have barely seen discussed, MONEY! I don't know what UConn can pay its next coach, but the AD knows he will have to pony up. Kevin Ollie was one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in the country. He made over 3MM. Dan Hurley makes 1MM. Money talks. Yes, Hurley has been building something strong at URI. Hes done a nice job. I'm sure he believes strongly in loyalty and family environment etc. But you guys are nuts if you think Dan Hurley is going to turn down 2.5 or 3MM to coach a school with 4 national championships to stay at URI. So keep bashing Uconn and calling it a lateral move. Even if Dan Hurley thinks it is, I am willing to bet he is willing to make a lateral move to double or triple his salary.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:That's great news. Let's see after the season's over. I hope he still feels the same way......
I, like you, am not that worried about Dan leaving. Just throwing stuff out there.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
I, like you, am not that worried about Dan leaving. Just throwing stuff out there.
Why?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Why, what?
Why aren't some people hanging on every tweet put out by a basketball journalist or sitting home worried we might lose Dan. Here's a few....

1.) Enjoy the season, there is plenty of time in offseason for this chatter to consume you. We are in the Dance and that is all that matters right now.
2.) Why worry about something you have literally ZERO control over

And the biggest one...

3.) Because those around Dan, that likely have the most insight to him, folks like Koch, Disano and our very own Ace have all stated on numerous occasions that the chance he stays outweighs the chance he leaves right now. Nevermind the things he himself has said today in the presser, and perhaps his most poignant and telling quote that speaks to his DNA, a couple weeks back when he talked about coaches losing sight of being teachers and mentors first, vs being too wrapped up in their own personal achievements and making money.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have always thought Hall and Cuse would be tough for DH to turn down . Going to be key timing for when those jobs open
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote:I have always thought Hall and Cuse would be tough for DH to turn down . Going to be key timing for when those jobs open
Seton Hall is the only job that scares me.

I dont see a way we compete with:

- big east
- alma mater
- chance to go home to Jersey
- $

but that doesn't seem like a threat any time soon, so no sweating over here
0 x
---
---
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Why, what?
Why aren't some people hanging on every tweet put out by a basketball journalist or sitting home worried we might lose Dan. Here's a few....

1.) Enjoy the season, there is plenty of time in offseason for this chatter to consume you. We are in the Dance and that is all that matters right now.

And the biggest one...

3.) Because those around Dan, that likely have the most insight to him, folks like Koch, Disano and our very own Ace have all stated on numerous occasions that the chance he stays outweighs the chance he leaves right now. Nevermind the things he himself has said today in the presser, and perhaps his most poignant and telling quote that speaks to his DNA, a couple weeks back when he talked about coaches losing sight of being teachers and mentors first, vs being too wrapped up in their own personal achievements and making money.
Ummmmm go up and read my preview post BAR...on page 40

My “why” is why are peeps here making up crap or repeating unsubstantiated crap of talking Heads who make up crap.....

This forum has a lot of eyes on it right now.

I don’t think we ought to be making crap up about our coach or staff.

Of course if crap is what you like have at it.

Go Rhody
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
That’s not helpful.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We talk about this stuff....because we care.

And it's fun to speculate. It's what we do...on Keaney Blue.

Anywho....I'll leave it be....for now anyway.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I think “speculating “ about our coaching staff right now with this forum and especially this thread getting read nationally hurts our team.

Of course I ain’t Raylan Givens....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does Crean ever smile? What a sourpuss.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Why, what?

And the biggest one...

Ummmmm go up and read my preview post BAR...on page 40

My “why” is why are peeps here making up crap or repeating unsubstantiated crap of talking Heads who make up crap.....

This forum has a lot of eyes on it right now.

I don’t think we ought to be making crap up about our coach or staff.

Of course if crap is what you like have at it.

Go Rhody
My bad HRSTRAT - i'm buying what you're selling. agree
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

HuskiesAllDay wrote:I am a Uconn fan first, but I spend a lot of time in RI (parents summer house) and "root" for URI as a secondary team. I use quotes because the extent is very small, but if URI is on I will root for them over pretty much anyone else. So I come in peace.

With that said, I cant say that I have enjoyed the repeated smack talk you are laying my beloved school. Some of it is legit, but I think you all are seriously overstating it. Yes, Uconn is in a tough spot right now, but I am sure that almost all of it will be corrected now that we got rid of the main problem. Kevin Ollie was a terrible basketball coach and even worse as a manager of the program. We have decent talent on the team, most of it young and none of it was being used properly or maximized. It was even worse the last few years where we had lots of talent that was wasted. We have a winning tradition that stacks with anyone in the country the last 30 years. I will remind you URI fans who see UConn as a lateral move that UConn has won 4 National Championships between URI's most recent NCAA tournament appearances. We have a world class basketball facility/center. The conference is dragging us down a bit, but the AAC had 3 top 25 teams at the end of the year (2nd most) and Cinci is a 2 seed so it is being overblown.

But finally the point that you are all missing that I have barely seen discussed, MONEY! I don't know what UConn can pay its next coach, but the AD knows he will have to pony up. Kevin Ollie was one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in the country. He made over 3MM. Dan Hurley makes 1MM. Money talks. Yes, Hurley has been building something strong at URI. Hes done a nice job. I'm sure he believes strongly in loyalty and family environment etc. But you guys are nuts if you think Dan Hurley is going to turn down 2.5 or 3MM to coach a school with 4 national championships to stay at URI. So keep bashing Uconn and calling it a lateral move. Even if Dan Hurley thinks it is, I am willing to bet he is willing to make a lateral move to double or triple his salary.
I’ll address this.

The facts are, UCONN is not the job it was in the old Big East. The AAC is not a league that will produce any more Final 4 teams than the A10. The A10 have had our share of top 5 ranked teams in the past, the two leagues are very comparable. The main issue is how the Kevin Ollie situation is being handled. He is a former all time great, loved player that is being treated like an enemy. If in fact his infractions are bad enough to terminate his contract, there is a major black cloud over the program. That makes a rebuild that much harder. If they aren’t that bad, then it looks really bad for UCONN, why would any top coach go to a program that would do that to one of their own. As far as $3mm per year, Dan will have plenty of those opportunities down the road with a school that is FAR more appealing of a situation than UCONN is offering. Money isn’t everything for everyone, sometimes people would rather love the situation they are in. I am not naive, Dan could be lured away, but it won’t be simply for $$, there is much more to him than that.

No offense to UCONN, but it’s just not the most attractive job out there by a long shot.
Last edited by Mongo 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

But we have lots of money!!!!!!!!!!

Dan knows to ask questions beyond how much and how frequently he gets paid. He can be highly selective.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

HuskiesAllDay wrote:I am a Uconn fan first, but I spend a lot of time in RI (parents summer house) and "root" for URI as a secondary team. I use quotes because the extent is very small, but if URI is on I will root for them over pretty much anyone else. So I come in peace.

I'll help you out....Hurley is not a money chaser, if he was he would be at Rutgers.

2nd, your National Titles are irrelevant to the current basketball landscape. You dont have the power of the old Big East behind you anymore. the AAC is a high mid major conference, same as the A10. However, the AAC has zero logic behind its members. It is a random group of schools that got left out in the cold in the last conference realignment. There is no history, no rivalries, nothing to sell a recruit on.

You guys are going to continue to die a slow and painful death unless you are able to get yourselves back into a top conference. You are seeing the fallout of the admins chasing the dream of being a top football school, putting their eggs in the ACC basket and striking out.
0 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hasn't Dan already been offered jobs that pay way over what he's making at URI? And turned them down? Rutgers for one....maybe Georgetown too....St. Johns? It's not just about the money.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes, the AAC is a thrown together bunch of football schools [except Wichita St] that has very high travel costs and very few rivalries.....

And their TV contract is peanuts compared to the P5's.....UConn is bleeding money big time from their football program....and it's dragging down their BB program...and wait until Geno leaves.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Mongo wrote:

I address this.

The facts are, UCONN is not the job it was in the old Big East. The AAC is not a league that will produce any more Final 4 teams than the A10. The A10 have had our share of top 5 ranked teams in the past, the two leagues are very comparable. The main issue is how the Kevin Ollie situation is being handled. He is a former all time great, loved player that is being treated like an enemy. If in fact his infractions are bad enough to terminate his contract, there is a major black cloud over the program. That makes a rebuild that much harder. If they aren’t that bad, then it looks really bad for UCONN, why would any top coach go to a program that would do that to one of their own. As far as $3mm per year, Dan will have plenty of those opportunities down the road with a school that is FAR more appealing of a situation than UCONN is offering. Money isn’t everything for everyone, sometimes people would rather love the situation they are in. I am not naive, Dan could be lured away, but it won’t be simply for $$, there is much more to him than that.

No offense to UCONN, but it’s just not the most attractive job out there by a long shot.
MONGO!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
mstyles22
Kenny Green

If we're missing the point about money, you're missing the point about what UConn used to be versus what UConn currently is.

If you had to pick a loser from the radical conference realignment from a few years ago, it is UConn hands down. If you're going to compare the A-10 to the AAC, let's be realistic. The AAC has better top-tier programs and less of a floor than the A-10, but it's way closer than you're making it out to be. The A-10 put 3 teams in the dance just like the AAC. And the A-10 at least knows it's a basketball conference, unlike the AAC which seems to be in no mans land: Middling football programs, no built-in rivalries or history. You can pretend that is nothing, but are you as excited to see Tulsa and East Carolina come to Storrs as you were to see Georgetown/Villanova/'Cuse back in the day?

The Big East and Calhoun are gone. So what UConn did in the last 30 years isn't as relevant as you think it is. From 2017 on, URI has 2 NCAA bids and UConn has zero. Who cares?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m tired of repeating the same shit over and over so if you’re inclined to believe random message board posters and unfounded speculation over people who know what’s going on; you’re willfully ignorant and I wish you could stop posting on this board.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Mongo wrote:

I address this.

To sum up, UConn offers
-- a dog's breakfast of a league
-- not one but two dingy, poorly-maintained home arenas
-- a spoiled-rotten fan base that doesn't recognize how the world has changed since last it was relevant
-- plummeting attendance
-- an NCAA (or even an FBI) investigation

Yeah, there's an attractive opportunity.

UConn: Where the men are men and the women are champions.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Mongo wrote:

I address this.

To sum up, UConn offers
-- a spoiled-rotten fan base that doesn't recognize how the world has changed since last it was relevant
-- plummeting attendance

I’ll just touch on Uconn’s financial situation since I live in the state. It’s in dire dispair, the state cut back its funding for Uconn and this willl continue as the state bursting pension liabilities continue to mount up. If the state complete cuts it’s 20-30 athletic subsidies which will happen, UConn will be paying its basketball coach around or just a little more what URI is offering Dan Hurley. I have looked through the budget as a citizen of the state and it’s much worse than what the politicians lead on.

I don’t know Dan personally but I’m assuming he’ll do his homework on the states budget and where it’s uconn funding levels are heading. It will continue to get worse year over year. There is no hiding that fact anymore.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Here's another take on UConn's financial situation.

2 x
HuskiesAllDay
Frenchy Tomlin

ATPTourFan wrote:But we have lots of money!!!!!!!!!!

Dan knows to ask questions beyond how much and how frequently he gets paid. He can be highly selective.
Its not just the money. You are literally crapping on a school that has twice as many Natty's as you have tournament appearances in the last 20 years.

I'm aware this isn't 10 years ago. Uconn isn't a top 10 job anymore. The AAC is far from the Big East. We no longer have rivalries with conference foes or play in MSG every year.

But we aren't being linked with taking Archie Miller from Indiana or Shaka from UT. You guys are URI. Uconn has a much richer history (understatement of the year), a much bigger and passionate (recently starved for success) fanbase, a national brand, NBA all-star alums, we still play in a better conference; the AAC may not be P5, but its still better than the A10. The A10 has 3 teams in the kenpom top 100, The aac has 3 in the top 20. Top notch practice facility. etc etc. A proven ability to pay its college hoops coach 3MM a year (tbd if this can continue, but we could cut the current salary by a third and it would still double Hurley's salary). You guys have none of these things. So stop acting like its only about the money.

I don't know Danny Hurley. I'm not saying he is all about the money, but how many on this forum have turned down a job that doubled or tripled their salary? I'm guessing none. We will see what happens. I have no idea how interested DH is in the Uconn job, but this entire thread screams insecurity to me. I'm pretty confident that if you asked 1,000 random college hoops fan what the better job is: Uconn or URI, you would have 1,000 people saying Uconn.
0 x
HuskiesAllDay
Frenchy Tomlin

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Mongo wrote:

I address this.

To sum up, UConn offers
-- plummeting attendance

This is insanity. We have URI fans crapping on a team that has won 4 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS since 1999. We won one 4 years ago! This isn't Uconn vs Indiana or Texas or even Rutgers. Its Uconn vs URI, a program with ONE NCAA tournament win since 1999. I am well aware that the current Uconn job is not the same opening as Uconn circa 2009. But I will remind you, you guys are URI.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Uconn before Jim Calhoun was URI, except with less history and national success. There is zero proof any of that success can be sustained post Calhoun. In fact more data points to your best days being behind you. That said, of course the 4 national titles under Calhoun are impressive and something we can't match.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Check out the PC scout forum if you wanna read folks making fun of UConn.....

I personally am not a Husky hater far from it....
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

And your purpose in joining today is to come and rub our noses in our plight....with all due respect......GTFOH....please.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

HAD - first, I'll just say that I'm not at all offended at your take here, nor do I think fans at UConn or Pitt are stupid for assuming the coach at URI would leave to go there. That is the normal order of things in college basketball, and most coaches in most situations and in most years would go from URI to UConn or Pitt without giving it much thought. That is just an unquestionably true statement of fact. So I understand your perspective.

Here is the URI fan perspective: the word around the program for years has been that Dan is not going to jump from job to job to job to try to get to where he eventually wants to be, which is at a no-brainer top-10, blue blood type job. He will likely not retire at URI, but he will likely stay at URI long enough to set himself to take a direct route to where wants to finish his career, not hop around college basketball making an incremental improvement to his situation every 3 or 4 years until he gets there. We also understand that he was burned out mentally and physically by the herculean rebuild he took on here.

So far, anyways, that has played out with him turning down overtures almost every offseason since he arrived here from programs in better conferences who would pay him a lot more money than URI, and at times when the program at URI was not in as good of shape and its future was less certain that it is right now. When URI fans say that they don't believe Hurley will go to UConn or Pitt, it is partially because no fans of schools in URI's position ever think THEIR coach is going to leave, but a lot of it is evaluating these jobs in the context of what we've seen and heard from and about Dan Hurley over the last half dozen years.

URI fans do not think their program has suddenly vaulted over UConn and Pitt and all of their historical success and resources by virtue of back-to-back tournament appearances; the calculus is more whether or not we think either of these represent final destination jobs where he could go and stay until he retires and compete for national titles.

Who knows, maybe Hurley does see one or both of these jobs differently than URI fans do - perhaps he thinks he can make one or either of these programs perennial national title contenders and views it as a potential "last job." I think UConn obviously WAS that just a few years ago, but as currently constituted it does not seem like UConn is in that uber-elite tier of jobs that really concern us. I'm sure you're more aware of all of the issues surrounding UConn right now than I am, so I don't have to run through those with you. IMO, those go a long way toward counterbalancing the history and resources that you mentioned in your posts.

And as far as the pipe dream of a coach staying put and building a powerhouse, nobody should understand that better than UConn fans. Perhaps no two programs in college basketball were more alike up until the day that Calhoun arrived in Storrs than URI and UConn. Luckily for you guys he never left for another job.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
mstyles22
Kenny Green

HuskiesAllDay wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Mongo wrote:
I address this.

To sum up, UConn offers
-- plummeting attendance

This is insanity. We have URI fans crapping on a team that has won 4 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS since 1999. We won one 4 years ago! This isn't Uconn vs Indiana or Texas or even Rutgers. Its Uconn vs URI, a program with ONE NCAA tournament win since 1999. I am well aware that the current Uconn job is not the same opening as Uconn circa 2009. But I will remind you, you guys are URI.
Please copy and paste where someone has said, "URI is a better program than UConn".

This isn't the NBA or any other pro league for that matter. The landscape is constantly changing and right now things are not in UConn's favor. Do you think current recruits give two shits about Rip Hamilton and your 4 banners, the fruits of which came under a retired coach and a conference that doesn't exist? Or worse yet, DOES exist except you're not in it.

We're not the insecure ones here. Because we know what we are as Rhody fans and as a program: Trying to build something, and enjoying the recent success (albeit minor to a UConn fan) that we've recently had.

No one is saying that DH won't leave the program (at least most of us aren't). What we are saying is that given the new landscape and new set of circumstances that you seem to be ignoring, we think DH can do better than UConn should he choose to leave RI.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

HuskiesAllDay wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Mongo wrote:
I address this.

To sum up, UConn offers
-- plummeting attendance

We all know how good Hurley is. He could have that UConn job looking great again in a year or two. They’ve already won a championship in the AAC. They have gotten more four and five star recruits than most ACC teams since joining the American, too. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Hurley go there.

That being said, Hurley has a great thing going here. He’s under no pressure to leave and has great recruits coming (granted they could follow him anywhere).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Are you half UConn fan and half URI fan? Curious post, FattsAndFurious.

NCAA Sanctions and other nonsense with APR are the things that will keep Hurley away. "No more rebuilds"
0 x