3/10 | St. Joe's Hawks | 1PM (CBSSN) (A10 Semifinal)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Re: 3/9 | St. Joe's Hawks | 1PM (CBSSN) (A10 Semifinal)

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:The presser is on Facebook on the Atlantic 10 page under videos. Martelli sounded like a complete whiny baby in the opening statements. Complaining about the obvious travel call at the end. And not getting the result they deserved. Makes me hate him more and more every game.
I don't say this lightly, but Phil Martelli is a bad guy. Like, he is a putrid human being.
That was amazing, seeing that A10 commercial during the game where the narrator says "great people" and Phil flashes on the screen of all people. Like wtf?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ Yep..
Phil: "WTF...we got hosed"
Phil's player: "We gave it our best effort today and it just didn't work out."
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I did not feel good as this game was playing out. Every time URI made a run, St. Joe's came up with some outrageous score. Seemed like nothing was working. Have to give credit to Hurley and his team for staying with it and wearing Joes out toward the end and finally getting hot. Great victory. Even more satisfying that it ends that pompous and obnoxious Martelli and his Hawks season. Could not be sweeter to see him lose and go home.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Outstanding. Thanks for the link!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looks like we are playing Davidson.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

GO RHODY !
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote:If Fatts Russell is 140 pounds, 90 of those are his balls.
........I nominate this as post of the season.......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Anybody else hear Hurley call Martelli the "A10 coach of the year" in his post game interview?
Last edited by URI'21 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Not a huge fan of Gina, but her forgetting to mention PC made my day even greater.
70D3FAAF-0D1A-4D00-9796-29D7687B8C5B.png
Did you not see her second tweet?Played like a true politician. :roll:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote:Anybody else hear Hurley call Martelli the "A10 coach of the udsr" in his post game interview?
Yep, if you mean "year", yes, heard that...and said he voted for him.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeteRI wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Not a huge fan of Gina, but her forgetting to mention PC made my day even greater.

I have no issue with politicians wishing BOTH the RI based schools still playing good luck. The problem is when they just wish one.

BTW:

I wonder if Cooley will make a similar gesture after his game tonight.

Dan has been rather magnanimous toward opponent coaches as of late. Two post game instances today with his shout out to Cooley's team and praise for Martelli.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeteRI wrote:
I thought that was great shade, honestly.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
PeteRI wrote:

I have no issue with politicians wishing BOTH the RI based schools still playing good luck. The problem is when they just wish one.

BTW:

I wonder if Cooley will make a similar gesture after his game tonight.

Dan has been rather magnanimous toward opponent coaches as of late. Two post game instances today with his shout out to Cooley's team and praise for Martelli.
And also the official URI basketball Twitter with its message to departing VCU seniors Williams and Tillman, which read like a verbatim quote of Dan.

To answer your question, no I have absolutely no expectation of any shows of class from anyone associated with PC, ever.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

About that TruePoint

2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would be quite something if both PC and URI were to win the BE and A-10 Tournaments this weekend. The state of RI could then legitimately lay claim to being the current center of the northeast college basketball world.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Looked like another strong Rhody contingent on hand today for the game based on all the Keaney blue. They seemed to really cheer the team on late when it was needed.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote:Looked like another strong Rhody contingent on hand today for the game based on all the Keaney blue. They seemed to really cheer the team on late when it was needed.
Largest crowd I’ve seen at a URI A10 tournament game. Great statement on how far this program has come.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

If someone could upload a replay that would be awesome
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:About that TruePoint

Ok the kid that runs their twitter is classy, I guess.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......the player, for me, that had to have the best individual feeling on the win was Jarvis.......getting back in the shooting zone, and making huge buckets when we needed them, and a chest thump getting back on defense......with a look toward the Hawk bench......
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

URI_IEP wrote:If someone could upload a replay that would be awesome
Haha I have it downloaded raw but Its not edited yet and I don’t feel like doing it until Monday. Sorry
1 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

rhodysurf wrote:
Haha I have it downloaded raw but Its not edited yet and I don’t feel like doing it until Monday. Sorry
No problem. Appreciate it whenever! Thanks!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rhodysurf wrote:
could always just upload the raw version. dont think anyone here will complain about fast forwarding through commercials.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:Dan has been rather magnanimous toward opponent coaches as of late. Two post game instances today with his shout out to Cooley's team and praise for Martelli.

Extended to his own staff as well-

Specifically, Hurley referenced senior guard Jarvis Garrett. His pair of second-half 3-pointers and five assists were a key contribution off the bench, one that had been lacking over the last two weeks of the regular season. Garrett had just six assists in his last five games and was held scoreless in the last four, prompting a pair of meetings over the last 24 hours with associate head coach David Cox.

″[Cox] had a great sitdown with [Garrett] last night and this morning,” Hurley said. “I think he did a great job of getting his head right.”

———————
Dan is just in a really good, comfortable place right now. Their run through this tournament hasn’t been as easy as last year, but the situation is allowing them to enjoy it all a little more. One more to go.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
could always just upload the raw version. dont think anyone here will complain about fast forwarding through commercials.
I could but the main reason I do this is (selfishly) for my own enjoyment later. And I hateee commercials, and uploading twice gets messy and every upload takes like an hour minimum. So for the good games I choose to make sure to edit them so I only have to upload once.

Also I use my work computer (shhhh) for everything and it’s a pain in the ass to do it on a laptop on the weekend haha
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

2nd night of crashing team hotel and trying to party like it was 1978.. (Year I met my wife ram 1982 at Barlow hall).. Her idea to come down here by the way.. I Couldn't wait to read the consternation that was inevitable thru most of the game.. I was with u all... But I said berry would be key today.. He was immense.. Some of the catches he made were amazing.. Makes it look easy.. Said once we hit some 3's would take st joes out of their d comfort zone we scored 90 points.. Was it perfect.. Hell know.. Was it a blast hell yes.. This team has balls period end.. Stub hub told us bummer 4 times trying to get tix for tomorrow but like your rams we hung tough and we live to play on Sunday..even more fun was shaking players hands at hotel.. Cheering Hurley as he came back and highlight meeting Jeff dowtins dad at the bar after and hearing how martelli wanted Jeff issued an ultimatum and lost out because of that.. Enjoy the ride gang.. Who knows what the future holds.. Rhody rhody rhody
2 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Huge heart!

Go fuck yourself Martelli you Frankenstein looking piece of fucking shit. Back to that shithole in Philly
What a classless post. The man is a human being. It's crap like this that upsets me about 'fans'.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Martelli might be a little strange, but he's a good coach......he gets a lot out of what he has.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

DanInAZ wrote:

Go fuck yourself Martelli you Frankenstein looking piece of fucking shit. Back to that shithole in Philly
What a classless post. The man is a human being. It's crap like this that upsets me about 'fans'.
Don't care. He's a self serving, egotistical prick and a confirmed piece of shit. Fuck him
1 x
---
---
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This brief clip provides tremendous insight into the relationship between EC and Coach Hurley. And Fatts showing his delight with a beautiful drive by #0 is priceless (@ 34-second mark):

0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

DanInAZ wrote:

Don't care. He's a self serving, egotistical prick and a confirmed piece of shit. Fuck him
And what does his looks have to do with any of that? Seems to say more about the type of person you are.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DanInAZ wrote:

Way to go...Keyboard Ninja... :roll:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No where in the world I’d rather be than here in the JW Marriott tonight on Pennsylvania Avenue

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice praise in that clip by DH saying he voted Martelli COY

I am not a fan of Martelli either but it was nice to read that he went in to congratulate DH in the URI locker room makes me dislike him a bit less !!
2 x
DowtinDimes
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: 3/10 | St. Joe's Hawks | 1PM (CBSSN) (A10 Semifinal)

Unread post by DowtinDimes »

Just like last year, I've barely slept tonight - I wonder which of our Rams are also unable to sleep before Championship Sunday.

Some thoughts from Saturday:

- So proud of Andre for keeping us in the game in the first half. He's the best individual story on the roster this season - great seeing him reap the benefits of his hard work in a game as crucial as Saturday's.
- The comeback might not happen if not for Dan's crucial timeout call a minute into the second half down 11. Got the team's collective head back on straight.
- Jarvis Garrett got his revenge, and it was so, so sweet. One of the toughest Rams I've seen play in my admittedly short history of following the team (my freshman year was the infamous '07-'08 campaign)
- Jeff Dowtin was sublime on his home turf. I'm not basketball-smart enough to add more to what's already been said in him than: wow.
- Fatts Russell is absolutely fearless. Loved his 3 that rattled around for forever before finally draining. And who would you want on the line taking those late foul shots more than the Philly frosh?
- If 3-pointers really are about legs, then I like our chances for Sunday - Bona gave Davidson a good run even without Stockard (and Adams looked somewhat gimpy to me, though to be fair it was the first time I'd seen him in person) - the Wildcats will be tired.
- We've made it to Sunday without a vintage performance from either of our two leading scorers and with a total of 18 minutes played by our best rebounder. If two of EC, JT, or CL have big games, then look out.
- Oh, and I won scattergories, so that was fun.

Go Rhody!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DanInAZ wrote:

I have never liked the use of foul language on a board and some message boards have policies expressly against this such that you would be banned.
At any rate, that said, Dan Hurley, in the post game press conference said he voted Martell A10 Coach of the Year this season. High praise.
But then you are not such a good judge of Coaching ability anyway having created the infamous Jim Baron 2.0 thread just in February of last year.
Now just 13 months later look at URI now. You started the thread that I dispised the Title of from Day 1 and you refused to change the disgustingly inappropriately, misleadingly Titled thread. I asked on page 1 of it to change the title.......and requested repeatedly throughout to change the title but to no avail, as did a couple of other posters.
To say you were wrong about Hurley would be the understatement of all understatements. So I’ll take your comments about Martelli, vulgarities and all, with a proverbial grain of salt.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Our stats through two games:

Jeff has 34 points, 10 rebounds and 14 assists
Andre has 27 points and 16 rebounds
Jared has 29 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 1 block
EC has 25 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 block
Fatts has 25 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals
Stan has 10 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals
Jarvis has 6 points, 5 rebounds, 10 assists and 1 steal
Cyril has 7 points, 5 rebounds and 1 block
Nicola has 3 points and 2 rebounds
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Andre has been huge with Cyril being in foul trouble. Also playing back to back to back games is tough for Cyril with that hernia.

But those numbers demonstrate that we need everyone contributing to win....and we're getting that.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jarvis with 10 assists in 26 minutes and no turnovers...that's effective. Happy for that guy.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
I could but the main reason I do this is (selfishly) for my own enjoyment later. And I hateee commercials, and uploading twice gets messy and every upload takes like an hour minimum. So for the good games I choose to make sure to edit them so I only have to upload once.

Also I use my work computer (shhhh) for everything and it’s a pain in the ass to do it on a laptop on the weekend haha
someone's got you covered until Monday

1 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Cyril has 25 points and 19 boards against Davidson thru 2 games this year. His being relatively rested for this game could end up being fortuitous. Nobody was happy when he had to go to the bench with fouls these last two days, but in retrospect could end up being good for us.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

"Little Savage"

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I really like that they posted that video highlighting the revenge narrative. The social media campaign has been good this year.

Years past they kind of downplayed the narratives of stuff like that.

I love that they embrace it that way.

Hopefully they will bring back some of the summer series this year. Always fun to see anything of the team.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry