2018 Atlantic 10 Tournament - Washington, D.C.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018 Atlantic 10 Tournament - Washington, D.C.

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No bid stealers.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mobley going nutso against Richmond....8 3's......they lead by 8 with 9 minutes left.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Bonnie’s started the half at 10 for 10 including 7 threes by Mobley .... NBA threes. The guy is unconscious.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mobley has been unconscious. Adams only has 2 points. Funny to watch the VCU fans that are still here rooting against Richmond

Game is down to 6 points with 4 minutes to go
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They are not home free yet even with that....up 6 with 4 to go. Richmond ball I think....hanging around.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Richmond hanging tough...3 point game...1:45
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Be even closer if they could make their FT's....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

S P I D E R S !!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Actually I’m happy the Bonnies pulled it out. I want them in the tourney after being screwed last year.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote:Actually I’m happy the Bonnies pulled it out. I want them in the tourney after being screwed last year.

It was 2 years ago in 2016 that they got shafted.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I did not realize the official A-10 Tournament post game press conferences are on Facebook Live right after the game. Here is today's:

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davidson is on fire. Aldridge already with 20 points wthank 3 minutes left in the first half
39-15

Looks like Top 4 seeds tomorrow.
URI
St Josephs
st Bonaventure
Davidson
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As has happened often with the A-10 Tournament, the local schools and fan bases that were a big factor in site selection, have all exited before the semis. All four DC/VA schools are now out for 2018. The tournament this weekend will not have much local flavor. Same as last year in Pittsburgh when Dayton and Duquesne were bounced before the semis.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bonnies had to hang on at the end (83-77) after almost completely losing a 17 point 2nd half lead. Richmond was able to get it to just 2 with under two minutes. SBU's Courtney Stockard went to the bench with an injury as the Spiders mounted their comeback. Stockard never returned and is questionable going forward. Thought to be a hamstring injury.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RF1 wrote:Bonnies had to hang on at the end (83-77) after almost completely losing a 17 point 2nd half lead. Richmond was able to get it to just 2 with under two minutes. SBU's Courtney Stockard went to the bench with an injury as the Spiders mounted their comeback. Stockard never returned and is questionable going forward. Thought to be a hamstring injury.
That is big if they lose Stockard, he’s been playing well and has provided a legit #3 option behind Mobley and Adams
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:As has happened often with the A-10 Tournament, the local schools and fan bases that were a big factor in site selection, have all exited before the semis. All four DC/VA schools are now out for 2018. The tournament this weekend will not have much local flavor. Same as last year in Pittsburgh when Dayton and Duquesne were bounced before the semis.
No local flavor = great seats for the Rhody faithful!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RF1 wrote:As has happened often with the A-10 Tournament, the local schools and fan bases that were a big factor in site selection, have all exited before the semis. All four DC/VA schools are now out for 2018. The tournament this weekend will not have much local flavor. Same as last year in Pittsburgh when Dayton and Duquesne were bounced before the semis.
No local flavor = great seats for the Rhody faithful!
St Joes is a 2.5 hour drive from here. I expect a crowd of them tomorrow.

I do have to say, I was impressed with the crowd we got for midday on a Friday. Can’t wait to see a lot more this afternoon
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Blue Man I would ask if you're just getting in from day 1's celebration but everything closes by 2AM at the latest in DC. At least that was the case when I was there for work last year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I watched the Davidson, St Bonaventure and St Joesph's games yesterday - including the URI - VCU Game (guess I got my money's worth)

Davidson played great. Aldridge was phenomenal shooting the ball. Davidson looked very much like a team that could win the Tournament
St Bonaventure played great. Mobley was absolutely unconscious. His body language said it all. His body language exuded pure confidence - he just knew every shot he took was going in and he played with a ton of emotion. All the players for Bonnies played well. They also looked like a potential A10 Champion
St Joseph's did not look like an A10 Champion to me. In fact, I sat there wondering how in the world that team beat us, never-mind beat us on our home court by 30
But that is why they play the games
GO RHODY!
Let's Play on Sunday, win on Sunday, be a featured game on National TV on Sunday then sit back and take in what we all live for - the NCAA Tournament March Madness Selection Show!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You make it sound like the A10 made a mistake coming to DC
Fact is they had to give up the Barclay's Center for 2 years and had to scramble to find locations to play.
A10 did not know in advance that VCU's HC would leave and that VCU would be done this year - nobody did

DC is as close as the Tournament will ever get to Davidson - a 6 hour drive. Not considered a long drive in most part's of the US
Davidson has a good contingent of fans here
I am surprised by how many St Bonaventure fans are here - more than URI I think
St Joseph's had the smallest number of fans from among URI, Davidson and St Bonaventure and Philly is the closest city at just 2.5 hours away
VCU with the most fans - easily
So Saturday and Sunday will be interesting because people can fly in Friday night of Saturday morning.
I see nothing wrong with playing the Tournament on Pennsylvania Avenua
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and if you think it is a mistake for the A10 to be playing in Washington DC just read this -

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... tin--video
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster I don't understand the dislike of DC either. DC is pretty centrally located for the A10 weather we like it or not. It's a great tourist destination with tons of stuff to do. DC or Philly makes the most sense for the league. Or Brooklyn if we can get it. Keep it in a big city venue.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We got Brooklyn for the next 3 years.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Yeah DC really isn’t far. I do day trips there for work all the time
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:Ramster I don't understand the dislike of DC either. DC is pretty centrally located for the A10 weather we like it or not. It's a great tourist destination with tons of stuff to do. DC or Philly makes the most sense for the league. Or Brooklyn if we can get it. Keep it in a big city venue.
and remember this is the hometown for David Cox, Stanford Robinson, Jeff Dowtin, Mike Tertsea
Fatts Russell is up the street in Philly

Jermaine Harris is right here, playing in a Championship Game tonight at 7pm, just played last night too. Recruiting opportunity for other players in the area?
Adams also right here

Michigan was a targeted area in the past, but I can't think of a better place for URI to be playing right now than Washington DC. It is great here.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't get your point here. Are you saying that attendance will now be hurt because of the departure of those schools? I think there is some connection between location and attendance, but no site is perfect distance wise for all schools.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:
I don't get your point here. Are you saying that attendance will now be hurt because of the departure of those schools? I think there is some connection between location and attendance, but no site is perfect distance wise for all schools.

Yes. There is a connection between attendance and the local schools. Many other A-10 fans have cited that as a reason why the tournament should NEVER be in New England. They argue that no one will be there if URI and UMass don't advance. I find this specious as this applies everywhere else as well. In fact, the local teams bowing out early happens often with the tournament as is the case in 2018. The amusing thing is the two years the conference was looking for a home (2017 and 2018) and Providence was interested, URI had its best teams in decades and made tourney runs.

I am not dissing DC as a site. It is centrally located and close to many schools. It is in my opinion a far better choice than was Pittsburgh last year. My issue is that for some reason our region seems destined to never be given serious consideration. I don't expect New England to ever be made the permanent home but it would be nice to have it on occasion. It would be good for fans of the long league tenured schools of URI and UMass. It could also possibly build up more interest in the league in this area and educate fans about the A-10.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:
I don't get it either

This is the perfect place for URI to be playing

It is our recruiting hotbed for future players plus our roster is loaded with players/coach from this area

GO RHODY!!!

After today I’m even more convinced that having the A10 Tournament here in DC was a huge win for URI.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

AFYI city tap does bottomless mimosas and bloodies.

We ready.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Stockard not playing today for the Bonnies.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Wow, the first 14 shots by Davidson were all 3 pointers.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Just wanted to give all the people who traveled to DC for the games BIG PROPS!
Crazy how many rhody fans were in the crowd.
Best turn out ever for rhody at the A-10!
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Davidson leads at the break, 37-31, on the strength of some hot shooting and the Bonnies are controlling the boards which is why their deficit is not bigger given the Wildcats hot shooting. Both teams are protecting the ball well. This one will go down to the wire.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Obadiah wrote:Davidson leads at the break, 37-31, on the strength of some hot shooting and the Bonnies are controlling the boards which is why their deficit is not bigger given the Wildcats hot shooting. Both teams are protecting the ball well. This one will go down to the wire.

Hope it goes into 10 overtimes.
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Davidson leads at the break, 37-31, on the strength of some hot shooting and the Bonnies are controlling the boards which is why their deficit is not bigger given the Wildcats hot shooting. Both teams are protecting the ball well. This one will go down to the wire.

Hope it goes into 10 overtimes.
I was just going to post 3, but 10 works for me...lol
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Grady reminds me so much of Tyson.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It looks like Davidson will take this one ending the Bonnies win streak!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

hope we packed our 3 point defense
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:It looks like Davidson will take this one ending the Bonnies win streak!

Bonnies should deservedly make the field. They won thirteen of their last fourteen games, are 25-7, and have an RPI ranking of #28. They got screwed two years ago. That should not be the case this season. They earned an at large.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Davidson won this one on phenomenal shooting...16-29 treys. Aldridge and Grady contributed 24 and 23 point respectively, both totals above their season average. To beat Davidson we have to curb this kind of performance.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:It looks like Davidson will take this one ending the Bonnies win streak!

Bonnies should deservedly make the field. They won thirteen of their last fourteen games, are 25-7, and have an RPI ranking of #28. They got screwed two years ago. That should not be the case this season. They earned an at large.
They are in. No discussion. Probably a 10.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Looking to buy 2 tickets for tomorrow's game, what sections are URI sections?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Keatgsr07 wrote:Looking to buy 2 tickets for tomorrow's game, what sections are URI sections?
I have 1 extra
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
Obadiah wrote:
I don't get it either

This is the perfect place for URI to be playing

It is our recruiting hotbed for future players plus our roster is loaded with players/coach from this area

GO RHODY!!!

After today I’m even more convinced that having the A10 Tournament here in DC was a huge win for URI.
After today and tonight I’m even more convinced that having the A10 Tournament here in DC was a huge win for URI, the Team, Recruiting and for the fans who made the trip. It’s great.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Old friend Rusty Cordua was at the St Joe’s game. I chatted with him for a couple of minutes. He was surprised I remembered him. I told him who could forget him.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So much blue on tv, fan base looks phenomenal.
1 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The next 3 years are in Brooklyn. I would have no problem going back to DC after that. I know a lot of folks want to throw a bone to UMass and URI and have the tourney in Boston (or even Providence or Mohegan Sun), which would be great. But I also think there is a lot of value in having the tourney in one place for a number of years in a row. Look at the Big East? Everyone knows it's at MSG every year. I'd rather keep it in one good location consistently, as opposed to moving around every 2-3 years. The original contract with The Barclays Center was five years. When the ACC came calling, the A10 worked out a deal that ultimately gave them an extra year, with 6 out of 8 years there.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree. I know a lot of people that pick a day and go to the BE tourney every year. It becomes a tradition. The A10 should set up a spot in either DC, NY, or Philly and leave it there.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Totally agree with you guys about the value of having an established location for a number of years in a row. It definitely helps.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

We had the largest crowd I’ve ever seen at a URI neutral site game. DC has been a great place for a tournament.

10/10. Would recommend. Would do it again.

Certainly don’t think I’m alone in that assertion
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL