2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by reef »

Let's see if we pass SH and Nevada after the new update posts
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Nearly 24 hours until Selection time.
URI-8 seed

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/
0 x
GO RAMS
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

My theory heading in to the tournament was URI seed = 9 - Ws + L, if we lost the first one we are 9+1=10, we lose this game we are 9-1+1=9, win the whole thing and mayyybe we can get to 6 (9-3)=6.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Will be interesting to see if there's that much movement...both bracketville and lunardi have Rhody as an 8 facing K State...one in Detroit, one in Pittsburgh (survivor to Boston)...both easy/good travel cities. Of course, Sunday is likely to bring 'something completely different'....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah, the committee is fond of throwing a few curve balls.....and there will be hand wringing and whining soon to come.

Dickie V will get on his soap box and bitch about someone getting left out.....

It's a tradition like no other.....
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, the committee is fond of throwing a few curve balls.....and there will be hand wringing and whining soon to come.

LOL or crying about his Duke not getting a one seed.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t get why Seton Hall is a 7 seed and Rhody is an 8 seed. They just lost in the quarterfinals of BE.
They are 21-11 (that is a lot of Ls), 1-5 vs Top 25, 9-9 vs Top 10, 13-9 vs Top 150. RPI of 31.
Bracketmatrix has Rhody as the highest 8 seed. We need to get to a 7. Should be 6 if we win A10.

http://bracketmatrix.com/
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, the committee is fond of throwing a few curve balls.....and there will be hand wringing and whining soon to come.

Yep, mention any team to Dickie V that is out and it will be "a crying shame what the committee did to those kids"
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Rhody83 wrote:I don’t get why Seton Hall is a 7 seed and Rhody is an 8 seed. They just lost in the quarterfinals of BE.
They are 21-11 (that is a lot of Ls), 1-5 vs Top 25, 9-9 vs Top 10, 13-9 vs Top 150. RPI of 31.
Bracketmatrix has Rhody as the highest 8 seed. We need to get to a 7. Should be 6 if we win A10.

You are correct Rhody should definitely be a better seed then the Hall.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed but we have to win the A10 first...if we do, then we should...and also likely ahead of Nevada too.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI's RPI rank has moved up to #14. The worst case scenario of a loss today would see it fall to #18. Other RPI ranks of note: Virginia #1, Nevada #17, St Bonaventure #21, Providence #31, Seton Hall #32, Alabama #36, Charleston #59, and Davidson #77.
Screenshot-2018-3-10 Live-RPI com.png
Live-RPI link:
http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

reef wrote:I think the committee doesn't do rematch of regular season games that were played in the 1st round ??

Looked it up. The committee “tries” to stay away from first round rematches, but it’s not a rule. There have been 4 rematches in the first round last 10 years.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

If Iona is actually a 16 seed, or even a 15 like many of these bracketologists predict i will totally put down fifty bucks each on them winning out right and beating the spread.

Sure a win vs 1 seed is not likely to happen. But with the general parity this season it's not impossible to think they are good enough that if they get real hot shooting could possibly beat a team like Xavier , or North Carolina.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

EGram wrote:If Iona is actually a 16 seed, or even a 15 like many of these bracketologists predict i will totally put down fifty bucks each on them winning out right and beating the spread.

Sure a win vs 1 seed is not likely to happen. But with the general parity this season it's not impossible to think they are good enough that if they get real hot shooting could possibly beat a team like Xavier , or North Carolina.
They are 1-12 all time in the NCAA Tournament and haven't won a game since 1980 and you got them taking down a 1 seed? Bold.
5 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

adam914 wrote:
EGram wrote:If Iona is actually a 16 seed, or even a 15 like many of these bracketologists predict i will totally put down fifty bucks each on them winning out right and beating the spread.

They are 1-12 all time in the NCAA Tournament and haven't won a game since 1980 and you got them taking down a 1 seed? Bold.
Welp, i managed to salvage about $400 in bitcoin from an old harddrive in my garage so i'm feeling like i may as well see if i can hit some crazy longshot since it's basically free money to me anyways! I think i might try and see if i can find odds of URI makign the Final Four. Although im not much a gambler so i dunno if they would have something like that. My current plan is just to bet all the money in 50 inciments and pocket whatever i win.

I graduated from iona and was correct in them winning the MAAC tourny despite a real lousy stretch before that so i figure maybe thats a decent horse to try and ride.

16 beating 1 has not happened in well.. ever. But i assume during our lifetime it will happen. Still, Chances are not next weekend.

Just from a glance at the conference champions so far it appears Iona will not be a 16 seed as 6 clearly worse teams have made it in. Yet,i do think they would have a better shot then 99% of 16 seeds who are often teams ith rpis in the 200+ range playing elite teams.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

EGram wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Welp, i managed to salvage about $400 in bitcoin from an old harddrive in my garage so i'm feeling like i may as well see if i can hit some crazy longshot since it's basically free money to me anyways! I think i might try and see if i can find odds of URI makign the Final Four. Although im not much a gambler so i dunno if they would have something like that. My current plan is just to bet all the money in 50 inciments and pocket whatever i win.

I graduated from iona and was correct in them winning the MAAC tourny despite a real lousy stretch before that so i figure maybe thats a decent horse to try and ride.

16 beating 1 has not happened in well.. ever. But i assume during our lifetime it will happen. Still, Chances are not next weekend.

Just from a glance at the conference champions so far it appears Iona will not be a 16 seed as 6 clearly worse teams have made it in. Yet,i do think they would have a better shot then 99% of 16 seeds who are often teams ith rpis in the 200+ range playing elite teams.
Haha, hey man I hope it happens. Would be a crazy story.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Iona would be a super dangerous 14 IMHO

Just might have a game where everything goes thru the hoop...
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A lot of bubble team fans around the country will be rooting for a Rhody win tomorrow.
3 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

There are currently 2 slots for what looks like 3 teams. that goes to 1 slot if Davidson wins tomorrow (last surviving bid stealer)
Louisville, ASU, and St. Mary are where the brackets are debating. the other #1 seeds(currently) in the NIT cuse, Middle tenn, and Oklahoma state (even though they have a blind matching schedule to safely in Oklahoma)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I bet Bobby is really pulling for his brother Dan and the Rhody Rams tomorrow. His team's inclusion in the tournament may hinge on it.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If GCU beats New Mexico State...wouldn't they be stealing a bid?
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

no, because the WAC was getting one team anyway. I haven't seen any bracket where they get in without the conference win. They are highly regarded as a 1 bid conference team though. getting a lot of looks as 12 or very dangerous 13
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

J Palm has Uri as a 7 as of this afternoon.
He has Middle Tennessee State and USC in his first four out. They have RPI's of 34 and 33, both better than the four teams in his last four in.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Do we think New Mexico State is an at-large team? I kind of doubt it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dunno about New Mexico St...just saw that they were in the others getting votes for both polls...so thought they'd be in...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bracket matrix has Rhody as the last 7 seed. They have PC at 8 and the Bonnies at 10.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhody83 wrote:Bracket matrix has Rhody as the last 7 seed. They have PC at 8 and the Bonnies at 10.

makes sense. I think they're a 7 or 8 depending on tomorrow. chance at a 6 went down with the bonnies.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well if we beat Davidson and get an 8 seed I will be pissed

Should be 7 at worst with a win
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote:Well if we beat Davidson and get an 8 seed I will be pissed

Should be 7 at worst with a win
Agreed!
0 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Schwab has us as a 6. Is there any way that could happen?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This morning from Bracketville:

We are a 7 seed in the East taking on Creighton in Detroit
The winner takes on the winner of 15 seed Iona and Purdue.

St. Bonaventure has the third to last bye and is a 10 seed taking on 7 seed Seton Hall

Virginia is the overall number 1 seed
Providence is an 8 seed taking on 9 seed Alabama
Nevada is an 8
Charleston and Buffalo are 13 seeds
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not really a surprise, but still a fun tweet

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Love the first round matchup, wouldn’t be crazy about seeing Isaac Haas in the 2nd...but there’s no easy games in March. Bring it.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Not really a surprise, but still a fun tweet

You kind of get the feeling that Arizona State depends on Rhody winning just because the committee likes doing that stuff.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

My guess it's Oklahoma
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we win we could get Arizona St. Or Oklahoma.

You never know.

There will be surprises when it comes to seeding. There just is.

Hopefully we'll get the respect we deserve and not get the mid major treatment.
1 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:This morning from Bracketville:

We are a 7 seed in the East taking on Creighton in Detroit
The winner takes on the winner of 15 seed Iona and Purdue.

St. Bonaventure has the third to last bye and is a 10 seed taking on 7 seed Seton Hall

Virginia is the overall number 1 seed
Providence is an 8 seed taking on 9 seed Alabama
Nevada is an 8
Charleston and Buffalo are 13 seeds
I'd love another first-round matchup with Creighton
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I really hope we win, but if we do lose and St Marys is the first team out, that would be kind of hilarious.
3 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wgracie99 wrote:

My guess it's Oklahoma
He’s talking about St Bonaventure. Davidson wins Bonnie’s are likely out. I don’t agree, but people have been bashing the A10 conference all year so selling 3 teams from the A10 would be difficult

A10 is not near as bad as people have insinuated all year. St Joseph, St Bonaventure, Davidson and URI are all playing NCAA Tourn,JT lwvel Basketball right now. Very good 4 teams in A10 Semi Finals.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
wgracie99 wrote:

My guess it's Oklahoma
He’s talking about St Bonaventure. Davidson wins Bonnie’s are likely out. I don’t agree, but people have been bashing the A10 conference all year so selling 3 teams from the A10 would be difficult

A10 is not near as bad as people have insinuated all year. St Joseph, St Bonaventure, Davidson and URI are all playing NCAA Tourn,JT lwvel Basketball right now. Very good 4 teams in A10 Semi Finals.
If Davidson winning today knocks out SBU, then it will be a bigger travesty than leaving out SBU 2 years ago!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. But there has been so much talk, and a lot of it right here on our own board, about the A10 being weak and a 1-bid league that it will be very difficult to get Bonaventure in. Bonnie’s need a URI win badly.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There's no way it's St. Bonaventure
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

There are two teams at least. if Davidson wins, they get into the main field, so the last at large bye gets pushed to Dayton as well
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:If we win we could get Arizona St. Or Oklahoma.

You never know.

It’s why the publicity we got this season, the Hurley name, the being ranked Top 25 for all the world to see all make it more difficult for the NCAA to screw with us. They have their connived Quadrant System in place to justify their actions but to put a Team with their longest running AP Top 25 ranking in a lower than deserved seed will fuel the fire of sportswriters to argue. Committee best be careful with URI.
Best for us obviously would be a win today and clinch Conference And Conference Championship

By the way
I confirmed that they will be selling, right after the game, A10 champion T Shirts. I’ll have my credit card ready :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

RhowdyRam02 wrote:There's no way it's St. Bonaventure

I would never say no way and I agree that they should be in but you just never know.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:If we win we could get Arizona St. Or Oklahoma.

You never know.

It’s why the publicity we got this season, the Hurley name, the being ranked Top 25 for all the world to see all make it more difficult for the NCAA to screw with us. They have their connived Quadrant System in place to justify their actions but to put a Team with their longest running AP Top 25 ranking in a lower than deserved seed will fuel the fire of sportswriters to argue. Committee best be careful with URI.
Best for us obviously would be a win today and clinch Conference And Conference Championship

By the way
I confirmed that they will be selling, right after the game, A10 champion T Shirts. I’ll have my credit card ready :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I confirmed that they will be selling, right after the game, A10 champion T Shirts. I’ll have my credit card ready"

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bonaventure is in the tournament. No worse than a 10. They are not really even near the bubble. Safely in.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

If Davidson wins, The committee will not keep Bonaventure out just to limit the seeds coming out of the A10. It doesn’t work that way. Bonnies resume puts them in regardless.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Bracket Matrix has Seton Hall ahead of us which I don't understand. Rhody has several better metrics and beat them on a neutral court without two key players. How are they ahead?

One concern I have about seeding is that a win today may not move the needle. The seeding may already be set with today's outcome having no bearing. Rhody would then not get more benefit for a victory and move up as would have been the case had the final been played on Saturday.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:The Bracket Matrix has Seton Hall ahead of us which I don't understand. Rhody has several better metrics and beat them on a neutral court without two key players. How are they ahead?

One concern I have about seeding is that a win today may not move the needle. The seeding may already be set with today's outcome having no bearing. Rhody would then not get more benefit for a victory and move up as would have been the case had the final been played on Saturday.
I wouldn't worry about this too much. The committee is perfectly capable of having two (or more) potential brackets ready if they truly feel that a win today should move our seed. I don't think they are going to just not change a seed because of a game being player Sunday instead of Saturday.
1 x