2018 Conference Tournaments

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: 2018 Conference Tournaments

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

but still not a q1 win. ;(
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Xavier looks like a bumbling, stumbling mess. Chokers.
Agree...first time I've seen them play this year, but...that's a 1 seed?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:but still not a q1 win. ;(
See what tomorrow brings..... ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Duke will get their 1 seed if they win the ACC.....PC will get an 8 or 9.....and lose first round.

We need to play X second round. Winner winner chicken dinner.

PC matches up well with them...they've played them close all 3 games.

They won't beat Villanova.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

let me rephrase... still not a q1 win...yet...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

PC's RPI rank is now for the moment 30 after the win. A home win versus a top with an RPI rank of 1-30 is a Quad 1 victory. URI's December win over the Friars is for the moment a Q1 win.

URI's team sheet as of this moment:
Q1 3-4 Wins: vsSHU/PC/SBU Losses: vsUVa/@Nevada/@Alabama/@SBU
Q2 2-1 Wins: Charleston/@VCU Losses: @Davidson
Q3 10-1 Losses: SJU
Q4 9-0

The key is record versus first two quads. URI is 5-5 but only played three of the ten games at home. That is not the normal ratio for most at large teams.

Keep in mind that the RPI rank is very dynamic and can possibly change with any game outcome.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another Q1 win would be nice, but at this point would it matter?
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

PC's RPI rank is now 30 after the win. A home win versus a top 30 team is a Quad 1. URI's December win over the Friars is for the moment a Q1 win.

I was looking at RPI wizard. It has PC at 32 with a win today and not changing with a loss to Nova tomorrow. Hope yours is more accurate. It would look nice to have a second q1 and possibly a third vs. Bonnies

You may be right too Rambone. May not matter at this point, but certainly won't hurt.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We already have 2 Q1 wins....and we could end up with 4......

SH and Bonnies earlier this season.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Will reiterate, I am NOT a PC "fan", but...Cooley's reaction/interview on court after the game was refreshing. Guy was psyched out of his mind and had every reason to be...good for him for showing it. (Although I could do without the 'babies' references...a little weird...just sub 'guys' for that)
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:We already have 2 Q1 wins....and we could end up with 4......

SH and Bonnies earlier this season.

yes...my mistake. still, 3s better than 2 and 4 is better than 3. would look nice if we won the A10 added to other conference champs Charleston, Iona and potentially PC, Bama, Nevada and VIrginia.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hey scine20, check out this Nevada game. Top 25 team getting jobbed. Down 23 in the first half.

Edit. Now it is 32 in the first half.
Last edited by theblueram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Xavier looks like a bumbling, stumbling mess. Chokers.
Agree...first time I've seen them play this year, but...that's a 1 seed?
They have lost five games all year, two verses Nova, two vs PC. Sometimes it’s a match up thing.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

What a surprise !! No credit to PC on the ram board. Only that it was because Xavier is no good.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nevada is getting smoked losing to San Diego St. 55-25 at the half. With a loss, Nevada's RPI rank of #12 will fall to #16 and cause URI to jump to #14. URI could also possibly jump them for NCAA seeding. Regardless of the outcome today, URI at Nevada will still remain a Quad 1 game. Nevada's loss will however mean one less bubble team as someone from the MWC will get that league's automatic bid and the Wolf Pack will be a lock for an at large.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

woodennickel1 wrote:What a surprise !! No credit to PC on the ram board. Only that it was because Xavier is no good.
Bump. I love the people saying they’d like to see Xavier... that’s just a horrendous take.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I usually pull vs PC but today I wanted them to beat X
My feeling is X lost their #1 seed and I wouldn't mind us getting them in a 2 v 7
Also glad about Nevada losing means we should pass them and it screws a bubble team out of a bid
Now we need to win this A10 tournament and get no worse than a 7 outside shot at a 6
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

woodennickel1 wrote:What a surprise !! No credit to PC on the ram board. Only that it was because Xavier is no good.

I give the friars credit. they have a number of quality wins. 6-8 vs. the top 50 rpi including 3 wins against the top 3 rpi. those are not fluky numbers. btw...we are 3-4 vs. top 50.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good point...Only saw from the last 7-8 minutes of regulation on, but...credit to PC. Given X record on the season, the limited defeats, against good opponents...it's no wonder Cooley was so jakked. Great win for those guys and another one of those underdog things that makes March awesome.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Does PC have a better winning percentage against top 5 teams than they do against the A10 this year?
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Section104 wrote:Does PC have a better winning percentage against top 5 teams than they do against the A10 this year?

yup...3-2 vs top 5. 1-2 vs A10
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Crazy stat !!!!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

They would have struggled to make NCAA playing in A10 this year. Not a lot of chances at quality wins and a lot of land mines (given their OOC). The value of playing in the Big East (and having big time games on your home court).
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Crazy stat !!!!
It is one I like to use when some Friar fans try to discredit URI's record by attributing it all to a weak A-10. They somehow forget that URI is an undefeated 2-0 versus the Big East with both games having been against its better teams while PC has a losing record of 1-2 versus the A-10 with two of the games against the league's lesser teams.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Section104 wrote:Does PC have a better winning percentage against top 5 teams than they do against the A10 this year?
Wins mean a lot more in March then they do in December.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

ATPTourFan wrote:Xavier doing literally EVERYTHING to lose this game.

BULLSHIT charge. Xavier guy was already going up for his jump before Friar got his two feet set. This is a BLOCK.
Agreed, that is such a "college charge" which unfortunately has crept into the NBA as well. You need to be on some Matrix crap to not plow someone over when they finally set their feet AFTER YOU GO AIRBORNE. To clarify, I'm not some whiner about PC winning, pretty ambivalent about who won. But this charge call which rewards weak ass play just really grinds my gears.

That said, I'm glad the Celtics have Marcus Smart who buys one of those "weak ass plays" every game. :lol:
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote:

BULLSHIT charge. Xavier guy was already going up for his jump before Friar got his two feet set. This is a BLOCK.
Agreed, that is such a "college charge" which unfortunately has crept into the NBA as well. You need to be on some Matrix crap to not plow someone over when they finally set their feet AFTER YOU GO AIRBORNE. To clarify, I'm not some whiner about PC winning, pretty ambivalent about who won. But this charge call which rewards weak ass play just really grinds my gears.

That said, I'm glad the Celtics have Marcus Smart who buys one of those "weak ass plays" every game. :lol:
LOL...agree with all of that, except the part about Smart....I think he gets at least two of those per game, doesn't he? :lol: :lol:
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

woodennickel1 wrote:
I don’t disagree. It’s nice they have the opportunity to correct these early season missteps. They wouldn’t have that opportunity in the A10 and i believe they’d be on the outside looking in
3 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Both can be true: PC did play an excellent game, but Xavier also looked well short of a one seed. Granted, the one seed I've followed most closely and seen up close with them playing the Rams, is Virginia. And they are quite apparently the #1 overall seed by a lot. But X did look very similar to their A10 teams where they'd run away with the title but had an imperfect team bound to be bounced before the elite eight.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rhodyruckus wrote:

LOL...agree with all of that, except the part about Smart....I think he gets at least two of those per game, doesn't he? :lol: :lol:
Totally...Marcus needs to take his talents to Hollywood and get in the actors union after retiring to take those stunt dives after getting "shot" in action movies.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Nevada loses in the MW semis to San Diego State, 90-73. Overall the loss by the Wolfpack was actually worse than the one suffered by URI to St. Joe's if that is possible. Nevada was out of game in the first 12 minutes and was down by 34 points just before the close of first half. In early February Nevada beat San Diego St. by 25 points! Let's see if the Rams can pull off a reversal of this magnitude versus St. Joe's.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Section104 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
I don’t disagree. It’s nice they have the opportunity to correct these early season missteps. They wouldn’t have that opportunity in the A10 and i believe they’d be on the outside looking in
No they would just win the tournament.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sorry don’t watch PC hoops

What’d I miss?
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Section104 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
You guys just had a huge win in the conf tourney over a 1 seed and you're arguing with URI fans on their message board. Think about that for a second.
9 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Not according to the selection committee.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gators lose now 20-12 can they fall off the 6 line ?? That's a lot of losses
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Section104 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Yeah, as long as you don't play the A10 superpower, UMass, who beat you by 10 pts
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

adam914 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Section104 wrote:
You guys just had a huge win in the conf tourney over a 1 seed and you're arguing with URI fans on their message board. Think about that for a second.
Good thing for them they don't consider it to be a rivalry -- they'd be posting here more than we do.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ATPTourFan wrote:So is Parrish. He says the Committee needs to make an example of them.

Imagine being a St Mary’s fan or player. You play is a garbage league and your coach is a coward and potentially wasting your chance to Dance.

From Athletic’s Bubble Watch

Saint Mary's (28-5, 16-2 – RPI: 43, SOS: 171) Since last we convened, Saint Mary's dipped from the WCC tournament earlier than anyone expected. That loss to BYU on Monday made an already unfortunate bubble situation even more lamentable. There is no reason a team this good should be sweating so seriously two days before Selection Sunday. But as we've written in the past, an atrocious, unstrategic nonconference schedule left Saint Mary's reliant on essentially one opponent for quality wins: Gonzaga. There's very little else here. Hopefully the committee doesn't do anything crazy? Either way, it didn't need to be like this. Just … go play some people. It's not that hard.

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Section104 wrote:
Last 3 games vs the vaunted Big East for URI
Creighton - NCAA Tournament
Seton Hall
PC

I hardly think that PC gets a bad wrap on this Board

Heck if PC Plays URI in the first Round of the NCAA Tournament, which is not far fetched at all, I can think right off the top of my head of 5 Posters on this Board who will have a very tough time deciding which team to root for :lol: :lol: :lol: or then again maybe it won't be as tough as I think. Your PC Scout Message Board has Zero Posters who are really URI Fans in disguise, unlike here.
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'd love to have the friars in our bracket. They might be able to upset one of the higher seeds making our road a little easier.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

St Mary’s finished the season as the number 20 team in all the land. The NCAA is designed to select the best teams for the tournament. So how would they be left out? The rankings are not completely crap.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They played nobody....have 1 good win.....have gone out of their way to NOT schedule anybody good OOC.....

Also [this doesn't matter to the committee though] they wouldn't play us.....and backed out of next season's tourney where they would have to play at least a couple of good teams.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Is St Mary's better than Middle Tennessee? Middle Tenn is being left out because they lost their good OOC games. But at least they played them! If ST Mary's gets in, they are getting rewarding for that scheduling tactic. How about Louisiana U if they don't win their tourney? It's tough for mid-majors but they have to get every game they can, like we did and will continue doing. Like Gonzaga did and does. St Mary's should be out IMO.
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:Duke will get their 1 seed if they win the ACC.....PC will get an 8 or 9.....and lose first round.

We need to play X second round. Winner winner chicken dinner.

PC matches up well with them...they've played them close all 3 games.

They won't beat Villanova.
You may be right about us loosing to Nova but to say we will lose first round without even knowing who we are playing is just plain ignorant.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of action as Saturday as we will see fourteen more cards punched for the Big Dance.

The conferences holding their Championship Finals are:

America East: Vermont vs. UMBC. Currently underway on ESPN2.

MEAC: N.C. Central vs. Hampton. 1 PM. On ESPN2.

SWAC: Texas Southern vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff. 5 PM. On ESPN2.

Big 12: West Virginia vs. Kansas. 6 PM. On ESPN.

Mountain West: San Diego State vs. New Mexico. 6 PM. On CBS.

MAC: Buffalo vs. Toledo. 6:30 PM. On ESPN2.

Big East: PC vs. Villanova. 6:30 PM. On Fox.

Big Sky: E. Washington vs. Montana. 8 PM. On ESPNU.

ACC : North Carolina vs. Virginia. 8:30 PM. On ESPN.

C-USA: Marshall vs. Western Kentucky. 8:30PM. On CBSSN.

Southland: Stephen F. Austin vs. SE Louisiana. 9 PM. On ESPN2.

PAC-12: USC vs. Arizona. 10 PM. On FS1.

WAC: Grand Canyon vs. New Mexico State. 10 PM. On ESPNU.

Big West: CS-Fullerton vs. UC Irvine. 11:59 PM. On ESPN2.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

dagger by umbc to vermont's heart. step back three ftw. vermont lost one other game since conference play started
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

urirx wrote:dagger by umbc to vermont's heart. step back three ftw. vermont lost one other game since conference play started
This is the main reason why I think the auto-bid should be awarded to the regular season conference champion. Vermont is clearly the best team in their conference, yet they're not the ones who get a bid
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote:
urirx wrote:dagger by umbc to vermont's heart. step back three ftw. vermont lost one other game since conference play started
This is the main reason why I think the auto-bid should be awarded to the regular season conference champion. Vermont is clearly the best team in their conference, yet they're not the ones who get a bid
nah...the conference tourney set up is still worth it imo
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
URI'21 wrote:
nah...the conference tourney set up is still worth it imo
They're awesome to watch and generate a lot of revenue... but its not the best way to ensure that the best team from a conference advances
0 x