2018 Conference Tournaments

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018 Conference Tournaments

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote:Creighton slightly ahead of Rhody in Bracketmatrix. We should want PC to beat them.
omigosh....that's gonna generate some agita, won't it?
Won't some people bang their heads repeatedly on a cement wall before they do that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Must not have been around in '78...it's not like that was 40 years ago...oh, wait, yeah, I guess it was...
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....pc down by 2, 37 sec, TO, inbound to pc....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Pc ties it, OT.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Pc up 4 late, TO under 1 min
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Creighton slightly ahead of Rhody in Bracketmatrix. We should want PC to beat them.
omigosh....that's gonna generate some agita, won't it?
Won't some people bang their heads repeatedly on a cement wall before they do that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Must not have been around in '78...it's not like that was 40 years ago...oh, wait, yeah, I guess it was...

Trouble maker :lol:
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Pc up by 4, 12 sec
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Pc up 2 12,sec pc ball
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Pc up 3, 8 sec, blue jay ball
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC got 2 touch fouls go their way in OT anybody see those ???
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Pc wins
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

reef wrote:PC got 2 touch fouls go their way in OT anybody see those ???

yeah..there was definitely a touch foul at the basket giving diallo to FTs. the guy from Creighton took about 14 steps before taking the game ending 3. no travel called.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC now 34 in Live RPI. If they upset Xavier tomorrow that would move them to a Q1 win for Rhody.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The wins today by bubble teams PC and Alabama probably strengthens URI's NCAA Tournament position. Two URI OOC opponents (Iona and Charleston) that the Rams beat are already in the field. Two OOC opponents (UVa and Nevada) that URI lost to are locks. Seton Hall, whom URI defeated, is a lock. PC, another team Rhody beat may now be in. Alabama, a team the Rams lost to, may make the field as well. A very possible seven out of eleven OOC opponents in the field is a big plus for Rhode Island. It very much validates the Rams OOC SOS ranking of #3.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So sick of the refs gift wrapping a big dance bid to PC calling 2 touch fouls with the game on the line . I am beyond livid
3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

reef wrote:So sick of the refs gift wrapping a big dance bid to PC calling 2 touch fouls with the game on the line . I am beyond livid
Give me a an efin break will you ? What about the call they called out of bounds to pc 10 min later they change the call to creighton. You see what you want to see.
Last edited by woodennickel1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote:
reef wrote:So sick of the refs gift wrapping a big dance bid to PC calling 2 touch fouls with the game on the line . I am beyond livid
Give me a an efin brake will you ? What about the call they called out of bounds to pc 10 min later they change the call to creighton. You see what you want to see.
Look...anything + that happens to or for PC...is a scam...or a sham...or was rigged...or, or...something like that.... :roll:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Refs were really bad both ways in that game. I just hate when they call touch fouls late in games with the game on the line personal pet peeve of mine
Congrats on your win that should seal the deal for you guys
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TCU 6 seed bracket matrix loses
Root against Arkansas and SH both 7 seeds on bracket matrix also Miami 6 seed
URI could pass those teams if win tournament and could get a 6 or a high 7 at worst
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

At this point just getting in is the goal imo.....I'll take a 10 right now to be honest.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nevada beats UNLV on their home court 79-74 in the MWC Tournament.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Love how big Bagely plays.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:At this point just getting in is the goal imo.....I'll take a 10 right now to be honest.
Pretty funny Bone. We have been locked in for like 3 weeks at least. We were a top 5 seed before the Joes game.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Avoid Duke at all costs they are tough and playing well
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Give me a an efin brake will you ? What about the call they called out of bounds to pc 10 min later they change the call to creighton. You see what you want to see.
Look...anything + that happens to or for PC...is a scam...or a sham...or was rigged...or, or...something like that.... :roll:
Can you believe such a thing as this happening? What is wrong with these people? Don't they know a Richmond win would help the VCU RPI? :o :o :o

2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Can you believe such a thing as this happening? What is wrong with these people? Don't they know a Richmond win would help the VCU RPI? :o :o :o

Exactly...I mean...VCU fan sb hoping Richmond can maintain that lofty 190 RPI... can't underestimate the value of those Quad 3 and 4 wins :lol: :lol:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Middle Tenn State loses to So Miss in the CUSA Tournament. They have a RPI ranking in the low 30's but no high profile wins. Could possibly get an at large.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:Middle Tenn State loses to So Miss in the CUSA Tournament. They have a RPI ranking in the low 30's but no high profile wins. Could possibly get an at large.
Bracketologists are saying they are out (which P5 BS). These conferences with 8 teams. You should have to finish .500 or better in your league to be eligible for the Dance. St Mary’s is 28-4 and some have them on the bubble.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Rhody83 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Middle Tenn State loses to So Miss in the CUSA Tournament. They have a RPI ranking in the low 30's but no high profile wins. Could possibly get an at large.
Bracketologists are saying they are out (which P5 BS). These conferences with 8 teams. You should have to finish .500 or better in your league to be eligible for the Dance. St Mary’s is 28-4 and some have them on the bubble.
I love how the CBS guys keep ripping St Mary's for refusing to play Rhode Island and that they should be punished for that. They have 2 q1 wins, zags and then @byu... Which ironically became a Q1 win when St Mary's lost to them in the conf tourney (if St M won that game they would only have 1 q1 win).
1 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Lunardi got a middle Tenn in his last 4 in
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Butler v Hall in a war going down to the wire
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:Butler v Hall in a war going down to the wire
thanks for the heads up!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow what a finish !!!

That's good for URI as Hall was 2 spots ahead of us on the 7 line

If we win A10 we are looking at a 7 outside shot at a 6
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seton Hall lost a tough one

Ugh!

They controlled that game too.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we do get a 7 seed would like to avoid possible 2 seeds in Duke and North Carolina they are looking tough woukd rather play Purdue Cinci Mich State or Auburn
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote:Avoid Duke at all costs they are tough and playing well
And they get even more calls than St. Joe's.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

skwalk47 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
I love how the CBS guys keep ripping St Mary's for refusing to play Rhode Island and that they should be punished for that. They have 2 q1 wins, zags and then @byu... Which ironically became a Q1 win when St Mary's lost to them in the conf tourney (if St M won that game they would only have 1 q1 win).
That's awesome! I knew that was a rumor on our board but I had no idea that it was far enough along that national guys knew about it and would use that information publicly. See what happens when you duck us?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Exactly...I mean...VCU fan sb hoping Richmond can maintain that lofty 190 RPI... can't underestimate the value of those Quad 3 and 4 wins :lol: :lol:
What are Duke and NC's RPIs? Tell me how many Duke fans are rooting for NC and vice versa. It's called a rivalry.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

If the A10 wasn't such a poor conference this season and provided URI with 4 or 5 more cracks at Q1 wins, then we wouldn't see this kind of support for PC. The fact of the matter is that the Selection Committee emphasizes Q1 wins above other metrics (the reason why Oklahoma will get in when it shouldn't) and the A10 offered 2 chances to pick up Q1 wins (both games against the Bonnies). Because of the scarcity of those types of chances, we fans are forced to root for PC to do well so that it will help URI's seeding and put them in the best opportunity to advance as possible.

Much like how this down year in the A10 is, hopefully, an anomaly, so too is the fact that fans are rooting for PC to do well. I don't recall seeing much support for PC in years past and I won't expect it once the A10 gets their collective heads out of their asses and starts to provide more opportunities for Q1 wins.

I hate myself for furthering yet another "who's the better fan" discussion when talking about PC's success/failure.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote:
See, I think Middle Tennessee should be in, but that’s based on the eye test and not the actual end-of-games results. I’m so sick of people crying about the P5, at the end of the day the goal of the tournament should be to get the best teams in, period. Otherwise, go play in a shit conference, be in the top 2, get a bid? But ultimately, Mid Tenn played 3 legit tourney teams on neutral courts, and went 0-3 and their best wins were Murray St, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion, and Belmont. Can’t seed people on what-ifs and that was close. Not going to put a 2nd auto team in the tournament if they lost at the buzzer based on “what if that shot didn’t go in?” If Mid Tenn won one of those 3 games against Auburn, Miami, or USC, they are definitely in the field.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RhodyKyle wrote:If the A10 wasn't such a poor conference this season and provided URI with 4 or 5 more cracks at Q1 wins, then we wouldn't see this kind of support for PC. The fact of the matter is that the Selection Committee emphasizes Q1 wins above other metrics (the reason why Oklahoma will get in when it shouldn't) and the A10 offered 2 chances to pick up Q1 wins (both games against the Bonnies). Because of the scarcity of those types of chances, we fans are forced to root for PC to do well so that it will help URI's seeding and put them in the best opportunity to advance as possible.

Much like how this down year in the A10 is, hopefully, an anomaly, so too is the fact that fans are rooting for PC to do well. I don't recall seeing much support for PC in years past and I won't expect it once the A10 gets their collective heads out of their asses and starts to provide more opportunities for Q1 wins.

I hate myself for furthering yet another "who's the better fan" discussion when talking about PC's success/failure.
That is the beauty of being a fan. You don't have to pull for PC for them to do well.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
That's awesome! I knew that was a rumor on our board but I had no idea that it was far enough along that national guys knew about it and would use that information publicly. See what happens when you duck us?

Gary Parrish at CBS Sports has recently reported this based on a previous conversation with Dan Hurley. He stated that Hurley contacted Randy Bennet at St. Mary's and lamented the position of both programs in their respective leagues. Indicated that Hurley offered a series with SMC immediately, and was willing to ship out to Moraga this year to start. SMC declined. This seems to jibe with the scheduling rumors we heard here before the start of the season.

St. Mary's supposedly plays a weak schedule nearly every year. Some of their fans have wanted it beefed up.

There is an interesting read on this on the SMC Gaels' fan forum:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/godisag ... f9f0a08f32
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Wow that is incredibly weak and also just stupid based on the state of college basketball and how scheduling works and what goes into at-large resume building. Someone mentioned before that they're on the bubble at 28-4. If they had lost to Gonzaga they'd be out of the field at 27-5. They're going to count on beating Gonzaga every year?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

St. Mary's geography major?:

mountainfan
Posts 170
Bleeding Red and Blue
27 Feb 2018, 20:50 #5
Have to agree with RB on this one. RI is not easy to get to. Direct flight to Boston and then a five hour bus ride.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:

What are Duke and NC's RPIs? Tell me how many Duke fans are rooting for NC and vice versa. It's called a rivalry.

Hard to compare Duke/UNC to RI/PC. Both teams will always have high RPIs and both teams have plenty of Q1 games with out needing each other to enhance their resumes. URI has limited opportunities for Q1 wins so a good PC team will have a greater effect on their resume than a good Duke will have on UNC’s resume.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

skwalk47 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
URI has 2 q1 wins, SH and then SBU...which ironically became Q1win when URI lost to them in Olean (if URI won that game they would only have 1 q1 win.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe we need PC to win today, to get our 3rd Q1 win, if we were to lose today and get our 2nd Q3 loss.

Just kidding.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote:Maybe we need PC to win today, to get our 3rd Q1 win, if we were to lose today and get our 2nd Q3 loss.

Just kidding.
How is PC a 9/10 seed but not a Q1 win for rhody?
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We are infested with Friartown trolls.

How bout some who is gonna replace Ed when he takes a P5 job talk then?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
URI has 2 q1 wins, SH and then SBU...which ironically became Q1win when URI lost to them in Olean (if URI won that game they would only have 1 q1 win.
If they won that game they would have added a Q1 win for that away game.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Maybe we need PC to win today, to get our 3rd Q1 win, if we were to lose today and get our 2nd Q3 loss.

Just kidding.
How is PC a 9/10 seed but not a Q1 win for rhody?
Because a Q1 win is teams ranked 1-30 RPI for home games... PC's RPI is 34 (according to RPI Forecast).

It would be a Q1 win if URI beat PC on a neutral court or at PC.
0 x