Senior night

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Senior night

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote:.
Thanks...but what Twitter account is this from? I'd like to retweet it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

@RhodyTickets
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:@RhodyTickets
Thanks!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Good thread from Koch:

Game story followed by several quotes that were not in the story.
I know this is an era of positionless basketball . Let's put that aside for a minute. Is Jared the best SG to ever wear Keaney Blue. The only one I can think of is Tommy Garrick, and they are pretty similar. I'd put both of them slightly ahead of EC and Jimmy Baron. Most of our greatest players have been either PGs or forwards. That's why I think Jared might be our best SG ever.

To me, Baron is unquestionably the best pure shooting guard I've seen (1982 and on). Garrick and JT can score in so many more ways so they may be our best scoring 2 guards.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Good thread from Koch:

Game story followed by several quotes that were not in the story.
I know this is an era of positionless basketball . Let's put that aside for a minute. Is Jared the best SG to ever wear Keaney Blue. The only one I can think of is Tommy Garrick, and they are pretty similar. I'd put both of them slightly ahead of EC and Jimmy Baron. Most of our greatest players have been either PGs or forwards. That's why I think Jared might be our best SG ever.

To me, Baron is unquestionably the best pure shooting guard I've seen (1982 and on). Garrick and JT can score in so many more ways so they may be our best scoring 2 guards.
Yeah, pure shooter is def Baron. It a good debate between JT, Tommy, EC, Baron, but also throw Cuttino into that conversation as well. JT is having a similar sr year to Cat's
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I would go back to the early 80’s to Pappy Owens as one of the top shooting guards. Pappy was six four, lead the team in scoring and rebounding and basically could play any position. He played on some poor teams and was probably focused on by the opposition. On his senior night, we were playing temple. Coach Cheney made it a point to congratulate pappy at the end of the game.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

now that's a name Neil. Coach Cheney. How he is missed. I remember him going into locker room after his #1 team beat us at keaney. Loved that guy.

Everyone bring the tissues tonight.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steviep123
Sly Williams

neil wrote:I would go back to the early 80’s to Pappy Owens as one of the top shooting guards. Pappy was six four, lead the team in scoring and rebounding and basically could play any position. He played on some poor teams and was probably focused on by the opposition. On his senior night, we were playing temple. Coach Cheney made it a point to congratulate pappy at the end of the game.
Good call Neil. I would have mentioned him, but I thought he was a point guard. I vaguely remember him playing, as that was around the time I started watching, but also still a kid, so didn't pay as close attention as I did later, so I'm not surprised that I didn't remember his correct position.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I woukd say Cat is the best SG to play at URI
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

neil wrote:I would go back to the early 80’s to Pappy Owens as one of the top shooting guards. Pappy was six four, lead the team in scoring and rebounding and basically could play any position. He played on some poor teams and was probably focused on by the opposition. On his senior night, we were playing temple. Coach Cheney made it a point to congratulate pappy at the end of the game.
Pappy was a great player. Right at the end of the Kraft era. Pappy and Marc Upshaw were going to continue the excellence after the Sly, Jiggy teams. Then Upshaw blew out his knee. He came back and was still good, but he could have been among the greats if not for that injury.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Pappy was a great player. Right at the end of the Kraft era. Pappy and Marc Upshaw were going to continue the excellence after the Sly, Jiggy teams. Then Upshaw blew out his knee. He came back and was still good, but he could have been among the greats if not for that injury.
same with Dawan Robinson

15.1 ppg, 4 reb, 3.5 ast 1.7 stl and 40% from 3 as a sophomore, then blows his knee out in game 1 as a junior.

In his 1st 2 years (65 games) he had 850 pts, 210 reb, 190 ast, 100 stl
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dre
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Block
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Dunk
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yes!
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm going to miss these guys so much.

What Andre has done since he got here has been nothing short of amazing. To put in the work he did to lose all that weight and give himself a chance to play here. That Dayton game we had no business winning at the end of 2016 where he played like the greatest player that's ever lived for about 20 minutes. The offense he's provided this season.

Stan, fighting through the preseason adversity and turning in an A10 Defensive Player of the Year caliber season while still contributing on the offensive end. The Davidson block out of nowhere last year. This guy would be a folk hero if the end of the Oregon game turned out just a little differently. My God that spin move from that game!

Jared, the final cornerstone. The longest thread in board history. The guy on the court that gives us our attitude and direction. As much as everyone talks about his two threes against Nebraska, rightfully so, I remember something else from that game. Coming down the stretch he went to the line for two shots. He missed the first one and I'll never forget the look on his face. Almost a smirk, like yeah the rim got me that time, but there's no way I'm missing this next one. Not rattled at all in such a big spot. I would have bet everything I had that he'd make that second free throw and I would have won big.

There might not be a person of this five that's given more than Jarvis. I still remember the way this board exploded the night he committed here and we thought that he would pair with Hass and EC to form the big 3 before we knew Jared would decommit from Oklahoma State and come here. To miss only one game with a fractured jaw in the middle of a lost season for the team and try to will this team to success. That iconic mask. His A10 play was so tantalizing, just thinking about what the future held, and to have it robbed due to his illness. To fight through as hard as he could even though he was going through all that until he put himself into the hospital and couldn't fight it anymore. There's not a lot of people, nevermind college students that would have the maturity to accept the downgrade in status the way he did, and we wouldn't have had nearly the same amount of success if he hadn't. To be honest, I root a little extra for Jarvis because I feel like he doesn't get his due and I feel like circumstances really cheated him.

Finally EC. The pioneer. The one that started it all. The guy that gave me my signature. He had a hell of a lot more to offer us than we had to offer him and I'll be forever grateful that he took a chance on us. He has been such a lightning rod because of the expectations and he handled it all with grace. I'll never forget the EC to Hassan play against Richmond. The Davidson dunk. The Cincinnati game. People criticized his performance in the clutch, but when it absolutely mattered the most and we had to have it, EC put us on his shoulders and brought us the A10 title. What's more clutch than a tournament MVP honor?

These five have been a huge part of the newest golden age of URI basketball. I'll never be able to thank them enough for the memories. And we're not done yet.
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nice post Rhowdy
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm getting weepy just reading these posts.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

is the ceremony available to stream?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ace wrote:The Dunk
Outstanding video selection, thanks!

This is one of my favorite plays of all time -- in any sport. EC deserved a tremendous amount of credit to come back from such a serious injury, but he was playing a bit tentatively.

This was indisputable proof that he was back to his pre-injury form, at a critical moment in a must-win game. Plus he broke that poor Davidson kid's ankles on the drive, and slammed it right through 2 Redwoods. :mrgreen:
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Senior night from 311 since you probably don't want to watch the game right now
5 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

twisted3829 wrote:

Senior night from 311 since you probably don't want to watch the game right now
Thank you, Señor. :)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was great thanks a lot
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

It was great to see the smiles on the faces of the players and their families as they walked in. Andre had a huge smile on his face, he has come a long way since his first step on campus almost 3 years ago. Went to the game mostly for that and it made it worth going to despite the game itself.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Senior night intros:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I really want the full team introduction starting lineup video (not the abbreviated weird one last night that ended in MAKE SOME NOISE).
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder why Jarvis went last in both the ceremony and the lineup intros? I figured EC would be last. Did they draw numbers or something?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Very likely the team voted. Don't underestimate Jarvis' role in this group.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I'm going to stop well short of saying senior night had a major impact on the game last night. That said, the guys on the post game brought up an interesting point. It seems some teams are holding off sr. night ceremonies until after the game so that the teams routines aren't disrupted. Might have been a good idea to do that last night especially with 5 important seniors. Doing it after the game would have given the opportunity for each guy to get a bit more recognition and for a full house to witness it. Of course, had the game outcome been similar, that would have been a wet rag on everything.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Very likely the team voted. Don't underestimate Jarvis' role in this group.
Oh, I don't. Everybody knows I'm a huge Jarvis fan. I just figured he'd be 3rd.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Very likely the team voted. Don't underestimate Jarvis' role in this group.
Oh, I don't. Everybody knows I'm a huge Jarvis fan. I just figured he'd be 3rd.
It might have been Dan’s decision to recognize Jarvis for his attitude in handling a difficult situation for the benefit of the team.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:I really want the full team introduction starting lineup video (not the abbreviated weird one last night that ended in MAKE SOME NOISE).
Agreed
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Was also wondering about that...
Team voting is an ineresting idea.
I also was thinking about post-game ceremonies.
Which schools do that?
Attachments
image.png
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We do post-game senior night ceremonies now, per Coach Hurley.
1 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

I coach high school softball and I've been doing my senior night ceremonies after the game for the past 10 years. My first 3 years coaching I got destroyed all 3 senior nights. I went to a coaches conference that winter and Mike Candrea the softball coach at The University of Arizona happened to mention that they did their senior night ceremonies after the game for the same reason. I started that following spring and haven't stopped. We've still lost a few of those nights but I feel our pre game routines are still in place and we've always been competitive since the change.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Of course this senior night was going to be emotional, with 5 seniors.....but it's a great move imo to do them after the game.

I had figured we were going to be flat early, but come back later. Ooops.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, but if we do them after the game,, we better win the game, especially if it's a big game. Ceremony would be kind of a bummer if it's after losing a big game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like it things didn't work so change it up for next season
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Yeah, but if we do them after the game,, we better win the game, especially if it's a big game. Ceremony would be kind of a bummer if it's after losing a big game.
Ok but there are no standings for ceremonies. I don't want the game to be a bummer again. Two of my worst URI experiences were saying goodbye to two of my favorite classes.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011