2/27 | St. Joe's Hawks | 7PM (CBSSN) (Senior Night)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/27 | St. Joe's Hawks | 7PM (CBSSN) (Senior Night)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Dan wasn't obligated to do the show, I would think he will have the guys at practice for a little while longer tomorrow.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote:If Dan wasn't obligated to do the show, I would think he will have the guys at practice for a little while longer tomorrow.
.......hopefully not watching the tape, get the puke taste out of the mouth tonite.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RI_Bred wrote:URI has been playing worse lately. There, I said it.

Offense has been on decline, and tonight we got EXPOSED by a bad team with a (regrettably) smart coach.

Poor effort, and we will be punished for it. Fuck.
You're not allowed to say anything critical of the team this season and mention any weaknesses on this message board. You're just supposed to enjoy the ride and the results. That's the only thing that matters. Because of their great record, you cannot expose anything that you see as something that needs work. According to some fans, Dan's team has had nothing to work on in practice because winning is the only thing that matters. Just remember that. You cannot be a URI fan during a winning season and say anything negative. It's not allowed by the URI Fanboy Police on this board.
5 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Two losses in the last four and now URI faces a tough road test to conclude the regular season. Not a good way to enter the A-10 tourney. Has the February Swoon re-appeared?
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

That was an historically bad and putrid performance. I have witnessed a lot of Rhody basketball in my 40 years following the program. I have seen few performances worse (the Jerry D game vs Temple at the PCC would be one). Even far less talented Rhody squads rarely played as bad as what I saw tonight. I actually debated whether I should shower to get the stink off me when I got home. I would never have envisioned that a 30 point blowout loss at home to a sub .500 team was even a remote possibility.

I just hope that the guys and staff got all their BAD out tonight in one full swoop. It will be interesting to see how they respond in a hostile environment on Friday night at Davidson. If they win then, I will chalk this horrible performance as a one off that was bound to happen at some point. If they lose down in NC and have a two game losing streak heading into DC, I will have concerns.

While difficult, I am trying to look at things from the big picture perspective. It would have been nice to end the season at home undefeated and have a nice send off for the guys. It was however the complete opposite. This game will leave a bad taste for fans and the seniors that played their final time on the Ryan Center floor. I however have to remind myself of the great season this team has had apart from tonight and the great memories these seniors have given us over the years. While the performance tonight was putrid, I still stood and applauded the seniors for their career efforts as they left the court for their last time.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Obadiah wrote:Two losses in the last four and now URI faces a tough road test to conclude the regular season. Not a good way to enter the A-10 tourney. Has the February Swoon re-appeared?
........mmmmmmmmm, no.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:Two losses in the last four and now URI faces a tough road test to conclude the regular season. Not a good way to enter the A-10 tourney. Has the February Swoon re-appeared?
We have been exposed on defense, with our only decent frontcourt defender being Cyril.

And when we don't move the ball, drive to the basket, and rely on 3's....we're screwed....especially when we don't make any!

Being too one dimensional is resulting in what we're seeing now.

Tonight was the perfect storm of suck.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:If Dan wasn't obligated to do the show, I would think he will have the guys at practice for a little while longer tomorrow.
.......hopefully not watching the tape, get the puke taste out of the mouth tonite.......
He said in the postgame they'd be watching the tape and 'owning it'....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You had better believe they should watch the tape. WTF!
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Anybody else see Fatts hobble off when he was taken out at the end of the game? Really hoping it was just a minor tweak, didn’t see how he injured but he definitely wasn’t walking right.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Worried about this team against a zone..We don't have that great knock down shooter nor do we have that tall high post presence like Kuran last year to serve as a facilitator.. We need to score off our defense and get some easy buckets.. Hopefully tonight was an anomaly.. Have to get back to the tenacious defense.. Worried about interior D... Berry has hit a wall and is a problem on defensive end.. Friday is a big game to regain their mojo... Its crunch time guys.. Let's go
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:You had better believe they should watch the tape. WTF!
Yup. Make them keep watching it until they are so embarrassed and pissed off that they will never make that mistake again.

Basically your dog just crapped on the rug and you gotta shove their nose in it
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:.......I think that after all the ceremony, trophy, confetti, celebration of the A-10 regular season clinch etc, in their heads they figured the could just show up, their heads were full of themselves.....the ringing noise they hear is their wake up call.......

I actually think that Friday had more to do with this effort tonight than did the senior day ceremonies. It was rather low key tonight for the ceremonies as they could not really do a lot individually for each player given there were five of them along with a member of the staff. I still however do not have an issue with what was done Friday after the game even if it did ultimately cause some after effects. It was the first time URI had ever won the A-10 regular season outright. It was something to be celebrated. If URI had won it multiple times before, I would say nothing special should have been done. That was however not the case in this instance.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Idk why still this coach has lessons to learn.

Every year something or multiple things happen that humble them. They say “oh yea, maybe we should have saw this coming.”

Idk why they think bad things won’t happen and their own fantastic narrative will always prevail.

Lots of teams losing around college basketball. However, few that were such overwhelming favorites with so much to lose. Concerning night.

At least we are guaranteed 3 more games. But think about that. Jared Terrell and EC matthews are only guaranteed 3 more games.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

As deep as we are, we could’ve used Thompson tonight and against LaSalle.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The press coverage is being really hard on URI on this bad loss. One site claimed the 30 point loss at home is the worst loss ever by a Top 25 team!
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote:The press coverage is being really hard on URI on this bad loss. One site claimed the 30 point loss at home is the worst loss ever by a Top 25 team!
It’s on the Espn ticker that st joes crushed #17 uri rams.

Couldn’t be a worse outcome for us or better for them.

EDIT: it actually says the word CRUSHED.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Concerned other teams are improving. Us not so much.. Only 1 real good half (Dayton 2nd half) in last few games..
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhodygirl2 wrote:Anybody else see Fatts hobble off when he was taken out at the end of the game? Really hoping it was just a minor tweak, didn’t see how he injured but he definitely wasn’t walking right.
I noticed. Looked like he exchanged a quick word with Hurley before going to the bench. My hunch is it's nothing big.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Kenpom dropping to 48 is bad...really bad....BPI will drop too, quite a bit.....that will knock us down a couple of seed lines, and we'd better win Friday or we'll be a 9 or 10 before you know it.

Not just a bad loss.... the amount we lost by is a killer, and at home to boot.
4 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I’m more upset by this being our seniors last game at the RC then anything. That’s a special group that have been tremendous for our program. It was a perfect storm tonight with senior night and we just didn’t have it offensively at all. Nobody had their game. St Joe’s played an excellent game. We have had off nights by our stars throughout the year however our depth has always come through wether it be Jarvis, Berry, Stan etc. My big concern going forward is how teams are playing us defensively and offensively. We are predictable defensively by always playing man and now teams have game planned to spread the floor and attack the rim. No help defense and we are now giving up a lot of layups and isolation baskets. I’m fine with us playing man D but we have to in my opinion switch it up occasionally throughout the game to keep teams a little off guard. Since the LaSalle game its been the same game plan against us. We thrive off transition baskets off of turnovers but if a team is good at protecting the ball then we end up in half court sets and are opponents are just packing in the paint and forcing us to make jumpers. If we’re not shooting a respectable percentage and can’t turn them over then we are vulnerable. We need more work playing against a zone. How many high post passes did we have tonight? I thought thats why Akele went in but we never effectively ran any high post passes. We make some nice outside shots and get some transition baskets and this doesn’t really matter but again if we are cold and can’t get turnovers we are in trouble.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't want to talk too much about this game. If they got beat by 10 or 15 I'd almost be more mad and have more to say, but the way this played out was such an absurd joke that it's hard to know what to say. I've seen this team and many other teams have long stretches where they couldn't shoot, but I don't think I've ever seen an entire game where everyone just completely cannot make a shot. If the regular players (not counting Eric's 3 at the end) shot 12-28 instead of 2-28 from three, that's the difference in the game. And 12-28 isn't even good!

But I just want to say this: if you've had your mind changed based on a game where the team has already clinched the league title and #1 seed in the conference tournament and navigating an emotional mindfield with half of the players saying goodbye to their basketball home of the last several years, and that one game gets more weight from you than anything else you've seen this year, then so be it.

I'm not saying this game is no big deal. It was shitty to watch and it's a blemish on the resume for sure. But literally the last time we saw this team, they played their best half of basketball of the season. People talking about some kind of downward trend are making fools of themselves. Yes, we lost 2 of 4. One was a completely acceptable loss to a tournament team on the road with their season on the line, and the other was this embarrassing no-show. There is no line to be drawn between the two.

I would be shocked if URI loses on Friday, and I pray we see St Joe's in DC. I think it is much more likely this group of players responds to this like they did the Fordham game last year than it is that they go in the tank.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

Offense has been on decline, and tonight we got EXPOSED by a bad team with a (regrettably) smart coach.

You're not allowed to say anything critical of the team this season and mention any weaknesses on this message board. You're just supposed to enjoy the ride and the results. That's the only thing that matters. Because of their great record, you cannot expose anything that you see as something that needs work. According to some fans, Dan's team has had nothing to work on in practice because winning is the only thing that matters. Just remember that. You cannot be a URI fan during a winning season and say anything negative. It's not allowed by the URI Fanboy Police on this board.
Suck ass guy who comes on the board only after losses.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good post TP

However until somebody answers my question re covering Demery I certainly don’t wanna see that hawk again.

Thanks to the RC being reinforced by some stellar bricklaying coupled with lazy passing the negativity train is squarely back on the track!

Woo hoo, Choo choo
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

I've noticed since the Bonnies game we have had sloppy ballahndling from everyone from the tip. Tonight was a joke. How many times were we gonna pass to the corner only to have it picked away? Brutal loss to stomach. Knowing that's the last I'll see in person of EC, Terrell, Garret on this court is devastating. As for people who think we're an auto lock for the tournament, I've seen crazier things happen (SMU being ranked in 2014 and missing the tourney). I'm sure there's still opinions out there that the A10 should only be a one bid league. Let's take care of business on Friday and finish strong in DC so there's no doubt come Selection Sunday.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Blue Man wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

Because saying anything remotely "critical" after a win is forbidden. One is only allowed to note poor ball movement, too reliant on 3-point shooting, or poor interior defense after losses. Those things are ignored if URI wins.

Sky is falling when URI loses...sunshine and balloons when URI wins. There's no grey area.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Someone here on the forums has been bitching about our lazy lateral and cross court passing.

Wish I could remember who it was but makes me almost think Martelli read the posts. They must have picked off at least 10 lazy wing passes tonight and converted most of the picks into buckets.

We just kept throwing them.

Truly nuts along with the incredible bricklaying from deep, missed layups, in and outs all night and missed foul shots. Rhode Island defense left wide open Hawks all over the court.

I felt I witnessed the perfect basketball storm in that building tonight.

Martelli could be dangerous in DC.....did I mention Demery is a beast?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Because saying anything remotely "critical" after a win is forbidden. One is only allowed to note poor ball movement, too reliant on 3-point shooting, or poor interior defense after losses. Those things are ignored if URI wins.

Sky is falling when URI loses...sunshine and balloons when URI wins. There's no grey area.
People are critical of the team all the time. There are very few fanboys here. Obviously this year the positive posts have outnumbered the negative ones - how much criticism do you expect to see during the best season the program has had in a long time, possibly ever? It would be absurd if after every game all anybody did here was bemoan and belabor the things that didn't go perfectly (although some people here do seemingly try).

The reason why people give you a hard time is not because you make criticisms. It's because you ONLY make criticisms. In however many years you've been posting here, there have been literally zero signs that you are in any way invested in the team doing well. You come here after losses and talk shit..this is a fan site...how do you think the fans here are going to react to that? Somebody points out that you only come here after losses, and your explanation for that is you aren't allowed to criticize after wins - which is (1) not true and (2) revealing of your relationship to this program, which begs the question of why you come here at all.

If anyone here were as consistently positive as you are negative, you would (pretty fairly) call them fanboys. So what does that make you? Fortunately there is nobody here as consistently positive as you are negative. Even ramster is critical more frequently than you are complimentary. Unfortunately, there is you.
8 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

I'll try the first positive spin.

This is the ultimate refocus game. You can't have a worse loss than what happened tonight. Losing, by THIRTY points, to a vastly inferior team, on SENIOR night. You can bet your family that our players are as pissed as we are, and they're going to come back FURIOUS for Davidson and the A10s. I fully expect us to blow out Davidson again, and tear through the A10s. I'm ready to come into the NCAAs as a 7 seed with a full head of steam.
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I wish Dan would have benched all the Seniors/Starters for the entire 2nd half. Just like Rollie did (starters with him) in '85 with Nova, in a game 1 month before they cut down the nets.

Wasted opportunity (Senior night made it so he couldn't).
Last edited by DanInAZ 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

URI'21 wrote:I'll try the first positive spin.

This is the ultimate refocus game. You can't have a worse loss than what happened tonight. Losing, by THIRTY points, to a vastly inferior team, on SENIOR night. You can bet your family that our players are as pissed as we are, and they're going to come back FURIOUS for Davidson and the A10s. I fully expect us to blow out Davidson again, and tear through the A10s. I'm ready to come into the NCAAs as a 7 seed with a full head of steam.
I guess we'll see.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

here's a second positive spin. our garbage time guys outscored their garbage time guys 3-0.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm on vacation in Arizona and I DVRd the game. The Wi-Fi at my hotel is spotty, so it took several minutes to load the game. I fast forwarded and saw the score was 35-13 or something like that. Then the Wi-Fi shit the bed.

Just like this team did. They cleaned up the confetti after Friday's celebration. Now they can clean up the shit and get back to greatness.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

DanInAZ wrote:I wish Dan would have benched all the Seniors/Starters for the entire 2nd half. Just like Rollie did (starters with him) in '85 with Nova, in a game 1 month before they cut down the nets.

Wasted opportunity (Senior night made it so he couldn't).

ROLLIE MASSIMINO, head coach: We were losing pretty badly against Pittsburgh, and I told everyone at halftime that they’d have five minutes to play in the second half, and if you don’t play a little better and a lot harder, you’re going to be taken out.

MITCH BUONAGURO, assistant coach: After maybe a couple minutes (in the second half), Rollie called a timeout and he still didn’t like the way we were playing, the energy level. So he said, ‘I’m going to give you a minute,’ and then it got worse. So he took the five starters out and we basically played the last 17 minutes with our second team.

R.C. MASSIMINO, jr., reserve guard: If my father said it, he meant it. There’s no doubt about that, and I think anybody on the team would tell you that. If we had practices where guys didn’t practice hard, he’d kick us out. He’d tell you to go home, whether it was one guy or the whole team. He was pretty serious about those kinds of things. He demanded that guys worked hard.

HARRY BOOTH, assistant coach: Later, Rollie said, ‘I needed the seniors to show leadership to the rest of the team, and they just didn’t do it.’

CONNALLY BROWN, so., reserve forward: You don’t want to diminish your chances of getting into the tournament, because that’s the ultimate goal. So we looked at it, when the starters were having a bad day, like coming in to try to do what they could not. We knew we had a job to do and tried our best to do it, but honestly, it was a game that we were lucky just to get through.

R.C. MASSIMINO: I think I had six points, which might have been the most I ever had in a game, and it was funny, because the second team ended up getting named the CBS Player of the Game, which was crazy considering how that game went.

WYATT MAKER, so., reserve center: It was fun to get in there and compete, but it was definitely a wake-up call for our starting five and the top seven guys who were playing.

MARK PLANSKY, fr., reserve forward: I was actually the only guy on the team that did not play in that Pittsburgh blowout, and that’s because I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee a couple days before. But after the game, everyone thought that was it, Coach Mass kind of threw it away. It was like, ‘What are you doing? We’re never going to make the tournament now.’

BRIAN HARRINGTON, sr., reserve guard: Quite frankly, that’s what was amazing to me about the Pittsburgh game. Coach Mass knew he might be playing for a tournament berth, nevermind the seed, and he never compromised his values.

CHUCK EVERSON, jr., reserve center: Everybody was down about it afterward, but the good news was we knew we had another shot at Pittsburgh in the first round of the Big East tournament (five days later).

ED PINCKNEY, sr., center: We turned around and beat Pitt (69-61) in the first round of the Big East, but the very next game, we played St. John’s and got blown out in that game too (89-74). So in our last three games before the tournament, we’d been blown out twice.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Not quite the entire 2nd half but the same sentiment...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow that was a serious beat down we took tonight

Teams could use that as a blue print to try and beat us now especially playing zone defense against us

Seems like we were really pressing shooting the ball losing confidence in our shots

The thing is we have really good 3 point shooters we just lacked confidence shooting tonight cuz shots weren't falling

I think we really need a lot of shooting practice in the next couple of days getting their confidence back

This Davidson game is very important we do not want to drop down to that 8 v 9 game
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Friday will go a long way in terms of seeding

At one point we are thinking 5/6 seed and now 8/9 ?

I really hope that’s not the case

We lay 1 egg all season and I hope we deserve a better fate

One game at a time

Let’s win in Friday and then start setting our sites back to where they should be .... 6/7 seed
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

You're not forbidden from posting positive things after wins. Seeing as you know so much more than the rest of us combined, we would all really benefit from you telling us what the team does right. Then again, I'm sure I'm being far too presumptuous by assuming they've done anything well this season
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ooof...couldn't bring myself to post after the game. What really is there to say, other than just an epically bad shooting night and SJU played out of their minds. Martelli said after the game, his scout insisted on going zone all game. Martelli wanted a mix of zone and man. Now DH has something to work on to make the team better against a zone. Add the fact that they really couldn't buy a basket. Usually if a couple of guards have an off night, the others pick them up and have a great game. Not tonight. Was their zone that good or where they that bad? A combo? At one point we were shooting under 20% and at 1 for 23 from 3. A few missed bunnies too. You'd figure they should have made a few more just by accident! In any event, not much to say here. Just an old fashioned ass whoopin'. Hopefully they'll take it out on Davidson and the A10 tourney.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Look god awful game no doubt about it. I hear they took too many 3's - I was there they were wide open when they took them. If they hit on 30% of them, less than their average (and that wide open could have easily gone 40%) they are at least right there with a chance to win. It got to a point they were aiming and praying they hit the shot instead of taking them in the flow. Bad got worse and then even badder than worse. It was the whole team so I'm going to chalk it up to it being just a real bad game (1st one of the year - on the 28th game), emotions of senior night got to them early - they are young human beings after all. If they play like this Friday then that's another story but come out and win Friday then the confidence is back heading to DC...... Davidson might have some tired legs and will have the emotions of Senior night to deal with themselves so that might be a plus on our side. Let's see Friday.
4 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Sadly we weren't prepared to score against that zone. I'm not sure the players practiced against that 3-2 flex, as we never play it our self.

......Still a memorable season, with two games to figure it out.....

Now a little urgency.....Two more losses [Davidson, and first round A10] and the selection committee would view us differently.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Not mad or anything this isn't the first time the emotion of senior night has gotten to a team. Sure it will impact our seeding a little but still time to enter NCAA tournament with momentum. Glad we had this kind of performance last night over two weeks from now.

I just feel bad for the group of seniors that this will be their last memory of the Ryan Center rather than the two hour curtain call we expected and they deserved.

Today's a new day time to get back up on that horse and get to work...
3 x
Clapton is God
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

More than anything I'm shocked and saddened for the seniors. I expected a let down for the Davidson game, this one slapped me. Back to the drawing board, I know DH and crew will figure it out.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Zone has stifled us for the past few years. Who knows?

I wish EC or one of them came out trying to have a night. Greedy from the jump.

They all deferred early on and then tried to overcorrect by dialing it up. None of it worked.

Most concerning is more that the Bonnies won on an uncontested dunk. BJ Johnson had Wilt Chamberlin numbers and St Joes massacred our Senior Night.

3/4 games our defense hasn't been great. Teams have been getting to the rim at will.

Have to balance the familiarity of the A10 against playing against teams that wont have that familiarity in the tournament.

IDK how DH can watch an ACC game or some of these other leagues and think we are heading in the right direction when you consider the height other teams play with. Many of these teams will own the paint just by waking up that morning. I'm not sold on the frontcourt rotation. And I think it has been exposed against Joes/Bonnies/Lasalle. Your frontcourt doesn't have to be dominating, they just have to keep the other team's frontcourt from dominating.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i think a great point on last few games D not playing great

i think we all noticed it.. but the winning kinda deflected it

PUT THE HARD HATS ON FELLAS

TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK

let's see what our makeup is this Friday
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed SPG.....we have to make shots to compete....if we're off we're now in trouble the way other teams are defending us....

And our defense has also been exposed....other teams have watched the tape and are planning to do the same things to us.

Against a team like Davidson we're likely OK due to them not being very athletic....but we've seen what teams that are can do....LaSalle, Bona, Joe's...
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Last night was the perfect example of what can happen when you are overly reliant on guards. While great guard play wins titles, if you aren't hitting your shots and you have little inside game what we saw last night can happen. Whereas if URI had a dominant post player or two, they could have combated their inability to hit a shot with easy shots inside the paint.

I think Rhode Island has been walking a tight line really since the VCU game with the slow starts. It was a perfect storm. I almost think they needed a game like that to wake them up. Hopefully they come out against Davidson and can dictate the tempo early, something they haven't really been able to do since the VCU game.

There's also a chance that they're just worn down. In which case an early exit from the NCAA tournament is very possible.

All that being said, this was the worst game I've ever seen URI play. And there's certainly been a lot of poor ones.
Last edited by scine20 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've been watching URI for 50 years...and this was about as bad as it gets.....

And we made no adjustments....none that worked anyway.....standing around shooting 3's with no aggressiveness going to the hoop....just a mail in job.

Again I'm not totally surprised we lost....but how we lost is an all time shocker.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Hopefully we get a few more great performances from these guys. Another A10 title would be a great accomplishment. Then it is just the luck of the draw.

Love to see these guys when they're riding high. I just think they have to plan for rain a little more.

I feel like every season they buy into the hype, hook line and sinker. That is my own personal thing I get bothered by. I get it that they have to sell the program and brand it. But they tend to lop it on anytime a writer is in front of them pretty thick.
1 x