How Dan Hurley Finally Chilled Out - by Matt Norlander, CBS Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

How Dan Hurley Finally Chilled Out - by Matt Norlander, CBS Sports

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: How Dan Hurley Finally Chilled Out - by Matt Norlander, CBS Sports

CBS Eye on College Basketball Podcast goes into the Hurley story as well around the 23 minute mark:

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dan spoke with Jim Rome as well last week. I think we all missed this interview, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://cbsprt.co/2BtOMhD
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

1 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Must read article. Enjoying every second of this national Rhody bball press.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Love this:

"IT'S GOING TOO WELL. SHIT HAS NEVER GONE THIS WELL FOR ME."
Dan Hurley
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Tremendous article. Anybody who reads the Bible and meditates every day AND still swears like a sailor is the f#&@ing sh!t to me. :mrgreen:
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Matt Norlander, writer of that terrific profile of Coach Hurley, has a great discussion about the coach at the 23:46 mark:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -favorite/
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What a great article- fair, accurate, and really insightful. I enjoyed the read!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It was excellent indeed.

Great that DH can change like that to be a better person and coach
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

I remember vividly the distaste I had for Hurley following the loss at Stanford in the 2015 NIT. He made an idiot of himself out there, in addition to that Maryland incident back in the 15-16 season http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-s ... story.html. I also wasn't a fan of the multiple years of him being extremely demonstrative towards questionable calls minutes into the game, foot stomping (which I kinda miss) and just an over the top, psycho demeanor 24/7. It probably led to us not getting favorable calls in crunch time during those years. It annoyed me and embarrassed the team consistently.

However, after reading this article, I am glad to see the changes Hurley has made over these past couple years to mitigate his stress levels and manage his temper. I'm glad he's maturing along with his team.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That was probably the best sports article I've ever read.

There was a lot of truth written in it. It really got o the bottom of some things.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Good way to kick off a Hurley 2.0 thread
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:What a great article- fair, accurate, and really insightful. I enjoyed the read!
And honest. Dan’s transparency is refreshing.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:Good way to kick off a Hurley 2.0 thread
S**t...Cox is the head coach now? Give me a minute, I'll get the thread going... :D

and the "shit has never gone this well for me" quote is extremely encouraging. That sounds like the connection he has with the school and area is even deeper than we thought.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This article validates a lot of comments and concerns expressed in past seasons by some posters willing to question certain things. It also, beyond all doubt, proves to me that DH is a unique and special person, I've probably said it a dozen times on this forum, DH shows the ability to self reflect, correct and move on. There was a point in the E.C. injury season where it felt like he was delving into excuse making and it felt too much like other coaches we've known, But DH has proven to be of superior character and intellect. I absolutely stand by my assessment of Dan as one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball. Also, I predict he stays here as his final college coaching gig and instead goes the Brad Stevens rout to the NBA.
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Loved everything about the article with the exception of the mushroom coffee. Imitation coffee is always suspect!
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Running Ram wrote:Also, I predict he stays here as his final college coaching gig and instead goes the Brad Stevens rout to the NBA.
The ultimate challenge- coaching overpaid brats.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Loved everything about the article with the exception of the mushroom coffee. Imitation coffee is always suspect!
Yep, awesome article. On the coffee thing, I agree, there is no substitute for the real thing. Not that I'm addicted to it or anything, but it's probably accurate to say that, I shouldn't get behind the wheel of a car in the AM before having any. On the other hand, for Dan, doesn't seem like he really needs the caffeine...
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

EH, its not really coffee, its a drinkable supplement.

Anywho, inspiring article.

(But I hope he doesn't get too much more reserved on the court)
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

One thing (among many) I found real interesting from the article - DH mentioned that he was fired as an assistant from Rutgers. I knew he started coaching there but had no idea he was fired - I assumed he went willingly from there to St. Benedict's. I wonder what went down to result in him getting the ax...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:One thing (among many) I found real interesting from the article - DH mentioned that he was fired as an assistant from Rutgers. I knew he started coaching there but had no idea he was fired - I assumed he went willingly from there to St. Benedict's. I wonder what went down to result in him getting the ax...
Kevin Bannon, the head coach, was fired, and the staff was not retained. So, technically “fired” but not exactly. It was also why he always said that if he returned to college coaching, it would be as a head coach... if he was going to succeed or fail, it would be more on him. That’s why he didn’t pursue any of the assistant jobs out there right after Rutgers and instead chose to go to St. Benedict’s.
8 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:One thing (among many) I found real interesting from the article - DH mentioned that he was fired as an assistant from Rutgers. I knew he started coaching there but had no idea he was fired - I assumed he went willingly from there to St. Benedict's. I wonder what went down to result in him getting the ax...
Kevin Bannon, the head coach, was fired, and the staff was not retained. So, technically “fired” but not exactly. It was also why he always said that if he returned to college coaching, it would be as a head coach... if he was going to succeed or fail, it would be more on him. That’s why he didn’t pursue any of the assistant jobs out there right after Rutgers and instead chose to go to St. Benedict’s.
Thanks for the background! Though I admit, much less interesting than what I was imagining could lead to him being fired outright.
2 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I noticed last year in the game against Providence that Hurley appeared to learn how to be passionate without being out of control. He seemed to have cost his team some games earlier in his URI tenure by losing focus.

Anyone who's followed him knows he's a much better coach today than he was when he first arrived in Kingston. He's also recruiting at a high level, which is a nice combination for a coach.
8 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:
ace wrote:
Thanks for the background! Though I admit, much less interesting than what I was imagining could lead to him being fired outright.
I know, you were hoping for something good on a boring afternoon, and it was just mundane coaching business stuff :)
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Running Ram wrote:This article validates a lot of comments and concerns expressed in past seasons by some posters willing to question certain things. It also, beyond all doubt, proves to me that DH is a unique and special person, I've probably said it a dozen times on this forum, DH shows the ability to self reflect, correct and move on. There was a point in the E.C. injury season where it felt like he was delving into excuse making and it felt too much like other coaches we've known, But DH has proven to be of superior character and intellect. I absolutely stand by my assessment of Dan as one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball. Also, I predict he stays here as his final college coaching gig and instead goes the Brad Stevens rout to the NBA.
I'm not starting up anything...just curious as to your list of the top 10 college coaches currently? (doesn't have to be in order)
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Running Ram wrote:This article validates a lot of comments and concerns expressed in past seasons by some posters willing to question certain things. It also, beyond all doubt, proves to me that DH is a unique and special person, I've probably said it a dozen times on this forum, DH shows the ability to self reflect, correct and move on. There was a point in the E.C. injury season where it felt like he was delving into excuse making and it felt too much like other coaches we've known, But DH has proven to be of superior character and intellect. I absolutely stand by my assessment of Dan as one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball. Also, I predict he stays here as his final college coaching gig and instead goes the Brad Stevens rout to the NBA.
I'm not starting up anything...just curious as to your list of the top 10 college coaches currently? (doesn't have to be in order)
I apologize. That is unfair by me. I'll start by giving you my top-10, in no particular order:

Izzo
Self
Bennett
Belein
Coach K.
Calipari
Few
Wright
Kruger
Roy W.

Honorable Mention: Huggins
(Sorry I've never been a huge Boeheim fan. I'm guilty of giving the guy little respect despite all his wins.)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not starting up anything....no, you'd never do that.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Loved everything about the article with the exception of the mushroom coffee. Imitation coffee is always suspect!
Right?! That sounds like some hippie got so high he ground up some 'shrooms instead of beans.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just a wild guess here, but it may have had something to do with him being a raging maniac pre-mellow man dayze ...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeteRI wrote:
Just a wild guess here, but it may have had something to do with him being a raging maniac pre-mellow man dayze ...
Or what I wrote. Probably that.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What's interesting is it seems the fans are not as vocal on bad refs calls these days either. When Dan really went off, I think the fans fed off that and went after the refs.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

In no particular order:

Baron
Jerry D
Claude English
Brendan Malone

hahaha, sorry, just kidding.

current coaches:

Izzo
Belien
Wright
Few
Martin
Coach K
Calipari
Williams
Self
Bennet

I think my only difference from above is Martin over Kruger

Honorable mention is
Holtmann
Miller Bros
Mack
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote:What's interesting is it seems the fans are not as vocal on bad refs calls these days either. When Dan really went off, I think the fans fed off that and went after the refs.
I still do...but I'm a nut.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I think Roy Williams is better than Coach K. In the 14 years he's been in the ACC, UNC has won 8 conference titles vs 3 for Duke. In the previous 14 years, Duke won 8, and UNC won 3.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thank god DH is controlling himself better on the sidelines

He knows that technicals will kill us in the long run

He still goes off occasionally but he is more under control
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

In this order

Coach K
Mark Few
Jay Wright
Tony Bennett
Bob Huggins
Bill Self
Tom Izzo
Sean Miller
Dan Hurley
Shaka
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn't have DH on the list just yet let's get him to a sweet 16 first ??
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hello! How about Greg Marshall???

Coach K
Few
Marshall
Huggins
Bruce Pearl
Izzo
Self
Tony Bennett
Calipari
Wright

Of course plenty more could be top ten.

Ya know who my favorite coach is though?
Dan Hurley <3
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

steviep123 wrote:In no particular order:

Baron
Jerry D
Claude English
Brendan Malone

hahaha, sorry, just kidding.

current coaches:

Izzo
Belien
Wright
Few
Martin
Coach K
Calipari
Williams
Self
Bennet

I think my only difference from above is Martin over Kruger

Honorable mention is
Holtmann
Miller Bros
Mack
Rick Barnes and Bruce Pearl need to be on that list
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rick?! Barnes?!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Marshall is #11 right behind Shaka.

Ok, I didn't mean to turn this into a top ten coach thread. I only mean to illustrate how DH's ability to look within is a quality that sets him apart from most others in a similar position. He's a guy that clearly lives by a code, but doesn't get crushed by that code, he's smart enough and strong enough to evolve and improve. So while he doesn't yet have the total resume, I'm basing my opinion on the qualities of character that we as Rhody fans have had the luxury of coming to know and how they translate into coaching and running a program.

He's doing absolutely everything he said he was going to do here, but it's not happening the way the movie in his head told him it would when he signed on. He's adapting and growing stronger.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The best thing about this article is that it verifies what those of us who never lost faith in Dan being the right guy have said all along.

He's a young coach, he's growing, he's improving.

I've always thought what set him apart was his transparency and honesty. He's never bullshitted with anyone. Never given coach-speak. Taken accountability for his own actions, and tried to learn from his mistakes.

That always mattered more to me in the first few years because I believed that with all of those traits, he would learn from his own mistakes by being able to be honest with himself.

It's just really nice to not hear "I towld owah guyz..." in pressers. Everything is full of facts and realities.

"We felt if we could hold these 2 guys to 30 points we'd have a great chance to win this game."

"We wanted to limit the 3 point line and force _______ to beat us this way."

"We had a plan to do ________ but we didn't do a very good job of sticking to it, we're going to work on _________ the next week"

All of that plus the fact that they're not celebrating the amount of wins or the peripheral accolades that come with the ranking and win streak:

"This is great but it's not our goal, we have more left to do."

Thorr made a HELL of a great hire.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote:
WRONG
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:The best thing about this article is that it verifies what those of us who never lost faith in Dan being the right guy have said all along.

He's a young coach, he's growing, he's improving.

I've always thought what set him apart was his transparency and honesty. He's never bullshitted with anyone. Never given coach-speak. Taken accountability for his own actions, and tried to learn from his mistakes.

That always mattered more to me in the first few years because I believed that with all of those traits, he would learn from his own mistakes by being able to be honest with himself.

It's just really nice to not hear "I towld owah guyz..." in pressers. Everything is full of facts and realities.

"We felt if we could hold these 2 guys to 30 points we'd have a great chance to win this game."

"We wanted to limit the 3 point line and force _______ to beat us this way."

"We had a plan to do ________ but we didn't do a very good job of sticking to it, we're going to work on _________ the next week"

All of that plus the fact that they're not celebrating the amount of wins or the peripheral accolades that come with the ranking and win streak:

"This is great but it's not our goal, we have more left to do."

Thorr made a HELL of a great hire.
Couldn't agree with this whole post more. Not only did Thorr make a great hire, his creativity in coming up with new contracts to keep Dan here was clutch.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: Couldn't agree with this whole post more. Not only did Thorr make a great hire, his creativity in coming up with new contracts to keep Dan here was clutch.
I think the extensions have been very good moves. They have demonstrated appreciation and reinforced to Dan that he is wanted and needed.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Let’s hope Thorr keeps HIS winning streak alive at the end of the season.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

theblueram wrote:What's interesting is it seems the fans are not as vocal on bad refs calls these days either. When Dan really went off, I think the fans fed off that and went after the refs.
I've calmed down a little bit but only because I sit next to Rhody74 and don't want him or his wife to have to listen to my potty mouth ;) I do spend a couple of games every year down in the student section where I get dangerously close to receiving the same treatment as the UA cheerleader from last night's game.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ATPTourFan wrote:
PeteRI wrote:
WRONG
OK. But I give him all the credit in the world for learning to control his anger. By his own admission, he was often out of control.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
I've calmed down a little bit but only because I sit next to Rhody74 and don't want him or his wife to have to listen to my potty mouth ;) I do spend a couple of games every year down in the student section where I get dangerously close to receiving the same treatment as the UA cheerleader from last night's game.
Don’t hold back because of us!
2 x
Slava Ukraini!