2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Art Stephenson
Posts: 837
Joined: 3 years ago
x 370

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhody83 » 1 week ago

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but all of the 4 and 5 seeds play in Boise (2) and San Diego (2).
The 3 and 6 seeds play in Dallas (2),Detroit & Wichita.
0 x

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3924
Joined: 5 years ago
x 701

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby reef » 1 week ago

So if we are a 4 or 5 we play in Boise or San Diego??

Is that 100 % accurate ??
1 x

rhodylaw
ARD
Posts: 553
Joined: 5 years ago
x 116

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby rhodylaw » 1 week ago

steviep123 wrote:Of note is SBU is in the first four out. I don't think we were at this point a year ago. It looks like SBU does have a chance to play itself into an at large. I do think if SBU wins out (other than vs. URI) and then again loses to URI in the A10 championship, it might just be enough to squeeze them into an at large (though probably a first four game). That's where we would have been if we lost to VCU in the A10 Championship last March.


I think SBU needs to beat us once to get in.
0 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby steviep123 » 1 week ago

rhodylaw wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Of note is SBU is in the first four out. I don't think we were at this point a year ago. It looks like SBU does have a chance to play itself into an at large. I do think if SBU wins out (other than vs. URI) and then again loses to URI in the A10 championship, it might just be enough to squeeze them into an at large (though probably a first four game). That's where we would have been if we lost to VCU in the A10 Championship last March.


I think SBU needs to beat us once to get in.


A year ago we thought we needed another opportunity vs. Dayton, but turns out we didn't. Who really knows.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2746
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2379

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Blue Man » 1 week ago

Bubble is really soft this year, but I agree that Bonnie’s needs a top 25 win on top of running it.

I would like to be selfish, not give it to them, and take a 4 seed.

(Not for nothing a 4 seed probably helps Dan see he can win at a high level here and be set up for tournament success)
3 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
Da_Process_Survivor
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1059
Joined: 3 years ago
x 1040

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Da_Process_Survivor » 1 week ago

steviep123 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Of note is SBU is in the first four out. I don't think we were at this point a year ago. It looks like SBU does have a chance to play itself into an at large. I do think if SBU wins out (other than vs. URI) and then again loses to URI in the A10 championship, it might just be enough to squeeze them into an at large (though probably a first four game). That's where we would have been if we lost to VCU in the A10 Championship last March.


I think SBU needs to beat us once to get in.


A year ago we thought we needed another opportunity vs. Dayton, but turns out we didn't. Who really knows.


I'd say if they lose to us again, but win every other game up to the A10 finals, they get an at large.

they also will have to be rooting against bid stealers in the conference tourneys in that scenario
2 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

Dre3000
Kenny Green
Posts: 252
Joined: 2 years ago
x 102

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Dre3000 » 1 week ago

rhodylaw wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Of note is SBU is in the first four out. I don't think we were at this point a year ago. It looks like SBU does have a chance to play itself into an at large. I do think if SBU wins out (other than vs. URI) and then again loses to URI in the A10 championship, it might just be enough to squeeze them into an at large (though probably a first four game). That's where we would have been if we lost to VCU in the A10 Championship last March.


I think SBU needs to beat us once to get in.


I agree, we had more opportunities than they do in conference. We didn't beat Dayton but we did beat VCU which had a top 30 RPI IIRC. They absolutely would need to get one win over us whether this Friday, or in the A10 tourney. 1 Q1 win and a high RPI won't get it done.
1 x

Rhody83
Art Stephenson
Posts: 837
Joined: 3 years ago
x 370

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhody83 » 1 week ago

reef wrote:So if we are a 4 or 5 we play in Boise or San Diego??

Is that 100 % accurate ??


Yes, the seeds that will play at each site are set. You can look at any of the experts’ bracket right now and they have the same seed #s in each location. Not all of the teams playing at the same site for rounds 1&2 are in the same Regional.
0 x

RhodyRam86
Kenny Green
Posts: 230
Joined: 11 months ago
x 184

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby RhodyRam86 » 1 week ago

Dre3000 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Of note is SBU is in the first four out. I don't think we were at this point a year ago. It looks like SBU does have a chance to play itself into an at large. I do think if SBU wins out (other than vs. URI) and then again loses to URI in the A10 championship, it might just be enough to squeeze them into an at large (though probably a first four game). That's where we would have been if we lost to VCU in the A10 Championship last March.


I think SBU needs to beat us once to get in.


I agree, we had more opportunities than they do in conference. We didn't beat Dayton but we did beat VCU which had a top 30 RPI IIRC. They absolutely would need to get one win over us whether this Friday, or in the A10 tourney. 1 Q1 win and a high RPI won't get it done.




If they beat us, they will have 2 Q1 wins. Ahhhh...but then we will then only have 1 Q1 win with a high RPI...
1 x

PeterRamTime
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2273
Joined: 3 years ago
x 453

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby PeterRamTime » 1 week ago

Rhody83 wrote:
reef wrote:So if we are a 4 or 5 we play in Boise or San Diego??

Is that 100 % accurate ??


Yes, the seeds that will play at each site are set. You can look at any of the experts’ bracket right now and they have the same seed #s in each location. Not all of the teams playing at the same site for rounds 1&2 are in the same Regional.


I've been trying to find a source other than all the projections for 4 and 5's being in Boise, but I cannot.

Is there any publications out there stating this?

I wanna be in the east coast!

Why Boise???
0 x

User avatar
rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1728
Joined: 5 years ago
x 235

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby rjsuperfly66 » 1 week ago

Rhody83 wrote:
reef wrote:So if we are a 4 or 5 we play in Boise or San Diego??

Is that 100 % accurate ??


Yes, the seeds that will play at each site are set. You can look at any of the experts’ bracket right now and they have the same seed #s in each location. Not all of the teams playing at the same site for rounds 1&2 are in the same Regional.


I need to call timeout on this notion ...

The way the brackets work is that the top 16 teams (top 4 seeds) all have to share the 8 geographic homes, so they are placed as close as possible to that home.
This year the 1st and 2nd round games are located in Pittsburgh, Wichita, Dallas, Boise, Charlotte, Detroit, Nashville, and San Diego.
Obviously the higher the seed line, the more preferential the location is going to be.
As of right now (using Bracket Matrix as the seed lines), the committee would say: "Villanova is closest to Pittsburgh so they play there" just like they would say "Virginia is closest to Charlotte, so they play there."
It's the same reason why it feels like almost every year Duke or North Carolina (or both) are playing home games in the tournament.
The other 1 seeds would be Purdue and Xavier, Xavier is closest to Pittsburgh, Purdue to Detroit.
That means when they go to seed the other remaining 12 seeds, their options are now Wichita x2, Dallas x2, Boise x2, Charlotte x1, Detroit x1, Nashville x2, and San Diego x2.
Kansas is closest to Wichita, Auburn is closest to Nashville, Cincinnati would be closest to Detroit, and Duke would be closest to Charlotte.
That would leave the other remaining 8 seeds options of Wichita x1, Dallas x2, Boise x2, Nashville x1, and San Diego x2.
3 seeds - Michigan St would probably be in Wichita, Texas Tech in Dallas, Clemson in Nashville, and North Carolina in Dallas.
That would leave the 4 seeds options of Boise x2 and San Diego x2.
However you split them up it really doesn't make a difference, other than the fact Arizona is likely playing in San Diego.
Locations are not pre-determined by seed or region, simply who that top seed is and what remaining locations are closest to their campus.
If for some reason Arizona became a 3 seed, they would still play in San Diego since there are no other teams that share that preference, and whoever dropped off (let's say UNC), would release the Dallas location to the top-ranked 4 seed, and therefore a 5 seed would also end up in Dallas.
It's more of an issue this year because of the lack of talented teams on the west coast. Last year you had teams like Oregon, Arizona, and Gonzaga all as Top 2 seeds playing in the western cities.
2 x

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3924
Joined: 5 years ago
x 701

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby reef » 1 week ago

I am pulling for San Diego as I can drive to that location. Come on committee make it happen ??
1 x

Rhody83
Art Stephenson
Posts: 837
Joined: 3 years ago
x 370

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhody83 » 1 week ago

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
reef wrote:So if we are a 4 or 5 we play in Boise or San Diego??

Is that 100 % accurate ??


Yes, the seeds that will play at each site are set. You can look at any of the experts’ bracket right now and they have the same seed #s in each location. Not all of the teams playing at the same site for rounds 1&2 are in the same Regional.


I need to call timeout on this notion ...

The way the brackets work is that the top 16 teams (top 4 seeds) all have to share the 8 geographic homes, so they are placed as close as possible to that home.
This year the 1st and 2nd round games are located in Pittsburgh, Wichita, Dallas, Boise, Charlotte, Detroit, Nashville, and San Diego.
Obviously the higher the seed line, the more preferential the location is going to be.
As of right now (using Bracket Matrix as the seed lines), the committee would say: "Villanova is closest to Pittsburgh so they play there" just like they would say "Virginia is closest to Charlotte, so they play there."
It's the same reason why it feels like almost every year Duke or North Carolina (or both) are playing home games in the tournament.
The other 1 seeds would be Purdue and Xavier, Xavier is closest to Pittsburgh, Purdue to Detroit.
That means when they go to seed the other remaining 12 seeds, their options are now Wichita x2, Dallas x2, Boise x2, Charlotte x1, Detroit x1, Nashville x2, and San Diego x2.
Kansas is closest to Wichita, Auburn is closest to Nashville, Cincinnati would be closest to Detroit, and Duke would be closest to Charlotte.
That would leave the other remaining 8 seeds options of Wichita x1, Dallas x2, Boise x2, Nashville x1, and San Diego x2.
3 seeds - Michigan St would probably be in Wichita, Texas Tech in Dallas, Clemson in Nashville, and North Carolina in Dallas.
That would leave the 4 seeds options of Boise x2 and San Diego x2.
However you split them up it really doesn't make a difference, other than the fact Arizona is likely playing in San Diego.
Locations are not pre-determined by seed or region, simply who that top seed is and what remaining locations are closest to their campus.
If for some reason Arizona became a 3 seed, they would still play in San Diego since there are no other teams that share that preference, and whoever dropped off (let's say UNC), would release the Dallas location to the top-ranked 4 seed, and therefore a 5 seed would also end up in Dallas.
It's more of an issue this year because of the lack of talented teams on the west coast. Last year you had teams like Oregon, Arizona, and Gonzaga all as Top 2 seeds playing in the western cities.


Do you have an NCAA source that states this? I think you are correct for the 1, 2 & 3 seeds but this disappears for the 4, 5 & 6 seeds. The bracketologist know what the process is and put the projected sites based on that. Here are some examples:
Four Seeds - Tenn in Boise, Arizona in SD, Florida in SD, Ohio St in Boise
Five Seeds - WVU in Boise, Oklahoma in SD, Zags in SD, URI in Boise

Four Seeds - Tenn in Boise, Ohio St in Boise, Oklahoma in SD, Arizona in SD
Five Seeds - WVU in Boise, Zags in Boise, URI in SD, St Marys in SD
0 x

User avatar
rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1728
Joined: 5 years ago
x 235

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby rjsuperfly66 » 1 week ago

Rhody83 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Yes, the seeds that will play at each site are set. You can look at any of the experts’ bracket right now and they have the same seed #s in each location. Not all of the teams playing at the same site for rounds 1&2 are in the same Regional.


I need to call timeout on this notion ...

The way the brackets work is that the top 16 teams (top 4 seeds) all have to share the 8 geographic homes, so they are placed as close as possible to that home.
This year the 1st and 2nd round games are located in Pittsburgh, Wichita, Dallas, Boise, Charlotte, Detroit, Nashville, and San Diego.
Obviously the higher the seed line, the more preferential the location is going to be.
As of right now (using Bracket Matrix as the seed lines), the committee would say: "Villanova is closest to Pittsburgh so they play there" just like they would say "Virginia is closest to Charlotte, so they play there."
It's the same reason why it feels like almost every year Duke or North Carolina (or both) are playing home games in the tournament.
The other 1 seeds would be Purdue and Xavier, Xavier is closest to Pittsburgh, Purdue to Detroit.
That means when they go to seed the other remaining 12 seeds, their options are now Wichita x2, Dallas x2, Boise x2, Charlotte x1, Detroit x1, Nashville x2, and San Diego x2.
Kansas is closest to Wichita, Auburn is closest to Nashville, Cincinnati would be closest to Detroit, and Duke would be closest to Charlotte.
That would leave the other remaining 8 seeds options of Wichita x1, Dallas x2, Boise x2, Nashville x1, and San Diego x2.
3 seeds - Michigan St would probably be in Wichita, Texas Tech in Dallas, Clemson in Nashville, and North Carolina in Dallas.
That would leave the 4 seeds options of Boise x2 and San Diego x2.
However you split them up it really doesn't make a difference, other than the fact Arizona is likely playing in San Diego.
Locations are not pre-determined by seed or region, simply who that top seed is and what remaining locations are closest to their campus.
If for some reason Arizona became a 3 seed, they would still play in San Diego since there are no other teams that share that preference, and whoever dropped off (let's say UNC), would release the Dallas location to the top-ranked 4 seed, and therefore a 5 seed would also end up in Dallas.
It's more of an issue this year because of the lack of talented teams on the west coast. Last year you had teams like Oregon, Arizona, and Gonzaga all as Top 2 seeds playing in the western cities.


Do you have an NCAA source that states this? I think you are correct for the 1, 2 & 3 seeds but this disappears for the 4, 5 & 6 seeds. The bracketologist know what the process is and put the projected sites based on that. Here are some examples:
Four Seeds - Tenn in Boise, Arizona in SD, Florida in SD, Ohio St in Boise
Five Seeds - WVU in Boise, Oklahoma in SD, Zags in SD, URI in Boise

Four Seeds - Tenn in Boise, Ohio St in Boise, Oklahoma in SD, Arizona in SD
Five Seeds - WVU in Boise, Zags in Boise, URI in SD, St Marys in SD


Again, there are 16 site locations for the top 16 teams. They must all play in independent brackets of the other top teams. When splitting up the locations, it just happens that San Diego and Boise show up in every single bracket as 4 seed locations because they are the only sites remaining.
The 4 seeds are boxed into the locations as those are what is left, but it’s not because Boise and San Diego are pre-determined homes for 4-5 seeds.
If this was like last season where Gonzaga, Oregon, and Arizona were all top 2 seeds, that would allow many of the 4/5 teams to play in more eastern brackets where they would still be placed by closest geographic proximity.
But it is important to note there is a difference between a 4 seed being backed into a corner and a 5 seed. Let's say Pitt, Nashville, Charlotte, and Dallas were left for a 4 seed -- The 4 seed would be placed in a city first and then in a region that does not conflict for them(I.E. - conference opponents). So if Virginia was a 1 seed and UNC was a 4 seed and Charlotte was open, UNC wouldn't be placed in Virginia's region. Now if Duke was a 5 seed, they would try to avoid playing in Virginia's region, and also they wouldn't be able to play against UNC, so they almost get stuck with what's left, which might not be a good geographic match.
0 x

Rhody83
Art Stephenson
Posts: 837
Joined: 3 years ago
x 370

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhody83 » 1 week ago

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

Again, there are 16 site locations for the top 16 teams. They must all play in independent brackets of the other top teams. When splitting up the locations, it just happens that San Diego and Boise show up in every single bracket as 4 seed locations because they are the only sites remaining.
The 4 seeds are boxed into the locations as those are what is left, but it’s not because Boise and San Diego are pre-determined homes for 4-5 seeds.
If this was like last season where Gonzaga, Oregon, and Arizona were all top 2 seeds, that would allow many of the 4/5 teams to play in more eastern brackets where they would still be placed by closest geographic proximity.
At that point, all the 5 seeds must play where all the 4 seeds are located, just like all the 6 seeds must play where the 3 seeds are playing.


Some of your points aren’t very clear. There are obviously 8 site locations for the top 16 teams. Maybe you are taking the day and night sessions at each to get to your “16 site locations”.

We all know that none of the top 16 seeds will play each other in the second round. We also all know that there are 16 groups which have second round match ups of 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 & 4 vs 5 if all the favorites held up. So obviously those teams have to be at the same site.

I will defer to your deeper knowledge on teams being placed at site locations. I didn’t think it carried as much weight as you are describing. I thought being assigned a Region and avoiding conference match ups carried more weight which didn’t allow for the alloborate first/second round site assignments you are describing after the 1 and 2 seeds. We shall see when the bracket comes out in 26 days.
0 x

User avatar
rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1728
Joined: 5 years ago
x 235

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby rjsuperfly66 » 1 week ago

Rhody83 wrote:
I will defer to your deeper knowledge on teams being placed at site locations. I didn’t think it carried as much weight as you are describing. I thought being assigned a Region and avoiding conference match ups carried more weight which didn’t allow for the alloborate first/second round site assignments you are describing after the 1 and 2 seeds. We shall see when the bracket comes out in 26 days.


You have to remember a few different things:

1 - 1st and 2nd round locations have nothing to do with the regions. I.E. - If Xavier were the 4th #1 seed, they could still play in Pittsburgh in the 1st/2nd rounds and then be in the West regional.

2 - All of the top 16 are somewhat in different sections of the bracket. Since they can't play each other as previously illustrated, they can play their 1st and 2nd round games where ever is desirable.

3 - Conference matchups can be easily avoided as a result. If Kansas is a 2 seed in Wichita and Texas Tech is a 3 seed in Dallas, you just make sure they don't play in the same region. You just slide Texas Tech into another region, but they still keep their place in Dallas.

4- That is why you canfocus on the most convenient 1st/2nd round location before you even start placing the bracket into place. Obviously the higher on the seed line, the better the potential location. 1st and 2nd round location and region placement are independent activities.

5 - Placing teams in the bracket seeds 5+ is much harder as a result. Obviously there is still a geographic component if possible, but since you can't just move teams in and out of regions since you have already set the matchups, teams might end up in less ideal locations as a result of how the top 4 seeds were placed.
0 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9932
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 1515
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby ATPTourFan » 1 week ago

I had forgotten about warrennolan.com, but Bill Koch referenced it in his post-game notebook piece. It has a NCAA Team Sheet sim that matches what the Selection Committee uses. It's also the only site I found that has Quadrant based win-loss record data.

Rhode Island Team Sheet:
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/ ... ode-Island

for comparison...

Oklahoma Team Sheet (NCAA likes them better, because, football?!?!?)
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/ ... m=Oklahoma
3 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9441
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2922

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby TruePoint » 1 week ago

ATP - this is a good resource, but you can also get the official team sheets straight from the NCAA's website. Just FYI.

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Si ... /Home.aspx
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9932
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 1515
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby ATPTourFan » 1 week ago

TP, is it me or is the NCAA site just a huge list of links? WarranNolan.com for me!
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9441
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2922

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby TruePoint » 1 week ago

Well it is an archive, which can actually be useful if you ever wanted to research prior versions of team sheets (like if you wanted to make a comparison between Team X today and a month ago, for example). I will say that the presentation on the Nolan site is much better.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

User avatar
Mongo
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 383
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Everywhere
x 147

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Mongo » 1 week ago



I like this.
0 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2536
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 617

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhodymob05 » 1 week ago

Joe "the Lunatic" Lunardi has Rhody still as a 5 seed in San Diago playing the winner of Texas/UCLA...not that easy.
0 x
RHODE ISLAND’S TEAM

Beachcomber
Jim Eitner
Posts: 9
Joined: 4 weeks ago
x 11

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Beachcomber » 1 week ago

Obviously all this is far too early, but the latest Lunardi bracket puts URI in the East, playing in Boston if they make the Sweet 16. I'd be fine with that if it happens, regardless of seed 4. 5. 6 or whatever. If they get top Boston, it will be a home court.
3 x

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7935
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1497

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby ramster » 1 week ago

Riding home after the Richmond game, listened to Don and Steve. As often is the case they has Chris Disano on towards the end of the show. If you don’t listen I’d encourage you to. They do a good job.

When asked about seeding fo URI if URI wins out including the A10Tournament, Chris said without any hesitation, URI is a 3-seed.
2 x

KillSteenKill
Michael Andersen
Posts: 74
Joined: 3 years ago
x 21

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby KillSteenKill » 1 week ago

I dont see us getting higher than a 4 just due to the unfortunate fact nothing left on the sched remaining will propel us resumewise in relation to the teams above us. What is interesting is will the committee factor a road victory at SBU tomorrow night more heavily in our favor since we play it without Matthews...
0 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3259
Joined: 5 years ago
x 889

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby theblueram » 1 week ago

KillSteenKill wrote:I dont see us getting higher than a 4 just due to the unfortunate fact nothing left on the sched remaining will propel us resumewise in relation to the teams above us. What is interesting is will the committee factor a road victory at SBU tomorrow night more heavily in our favor since we play it without Matthews...


The game tomorrow is a Q1 game. If we meet the Bonnies in the A10's, that would be another Q1. If pc gets to RPI 30, that could give us 4 Q1 wins if we beat the Bonnies. That is resume enhancing.
3 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby steviep123 » 1 week ago

Lunardi just said on the halftime show (Temple/WSU) that SBU has a 24 hour season. He sees no path for SBU to get an at large bid if they lose to us tomorrow night. Not knowing much about this stuff, I think if SBU wins out other than against us, then loses to us in the A10 final, I think that gets them at least in the play in game. But if I were them, I'd want to win tomorrow, and the rest of my season, finish 14-4, then get to at least the A10 semis. Lunardi did mention the screwing 2 years ago when they were in a 3 way tie for first for the A10 with an RPI of 30 and didn't get in.

Also, Lunardi currently has us as a 5 in the East facing the winner of UCLA vs. Texas. The East is a group of death, with Gonzaga a 4, Villanova a 1, Mich St 3, and Duke 2. Good news would be, if we got to the 2nd weekend, we'd be in Boston.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3924
Joined: 5 years ago
x 701

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby reef » 1 week ago

Jeez if that's the east bracket send us somewhere else

Agree with DiSano that 3 is in play if we go 29-3 definitely not lower than 4 in that scenario???
0 x

User avatar
Rhode_Island_Red
Art Stephenson
Posts: 857
Joined: 5 years ago
x 326

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhode_Island_Red » 1 week ago

I don't see us getting anything higher than a 4 because we're not in the cartel.

OTOH, never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd ever get a 4 because cartel.
1 x

User avatar
URI'21
Marc Upshaw
Posts: 95
Joined: 2 months ago
x 139

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby URI'21 » 1 week ago

ramster wrote:Riding home after the Richmond game, listened to Don and Steve. As often is the case they has Chris Disano on towards the end of the show. If you don’t listen I’d encourage you to. They do a good job.

When asked about seeding fo URI if URI wins out including the A10Tournament, Chris said without any hesitation, URI is a 3-seed.


Totally agree with Chris D here. Winning out ensures our RPI doesn't drop, and it's impossible to predict, but if Virginia X Nova or Clemson should drop a game or two we would pass them. The stars don't need to align for us to have an even higher RPI than 5 (which is absolutely insane to think about).

But anyway, winning out also ensures for the most part that our ranking will only continue to climb. Not hard to imagine 5-6 teams ranked ahead of us losing games and us passing them (presuming the committee regarded us around 17-18 when they gave us their seed list).

Winning out gives us a 29-3 team with a top 1-5 RPI, a couple of good wins, and absolutely no (0... zero... zilch... nada) bad losses. This is certainly 3 seed worthy.
0 x

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3924
Joined: 5 years ago
x 701

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby reef » 1 week ago

Yes agree 21 and no worse than 4 in that scenario
1 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 4358
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1366

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby RhowdyRam02 » 1 week ago

URI'21 wrote:
ramster wrote:Riding home after the Richmond game, listened to Don and Steve. As often is the case they has Chris Disano on towards the end of the show. If you don’t listen I’d encourage you to. They do a good job.

When asked about seeding fo URI if URI wins out including the A10Tournament, Chris said without any hesitation, URI is a 3-seed.


Totally agree with Chris D here. Winning out ensures our RPI doesn't drop, and it's impossible to predict, but if Virginia X Nova or Clemson should drop a game or two we would pass them. The stars don't need to align for us to have an even higher RPI than 5 (which is absolutely insane to think about).

But anyway, winning out also ensures for the most part that our ranking will only continue to climb. Not hard to imagine 5-6 teams ranked ahead of us losing games and us passing them (presuming the committee regarded us around 17-18 when they gave us their seed list).

Winning out gives us a 29-3 team with a top 1-5 RPI, a couple of good wins, and absolutely no (0... zero... zilch... nada) bad losses. This is certainly 3 seed worthy.


Love the avatar!
2 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 4358
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1366

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby RhowdyRam02 » 1 week ago

Today's bracket:

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

We're a 5 seed in Boise taking on Loyola Chicago

Virginia is the top seed in the tournament
Alabama is a 6
Providence is an 8
Seton Hall is a 9
Nevada is a 10
Charleston is a 14
Florida Gulf Coast is a 15
UNC-Asheville is a 16

St. Bonaventure is 3rd out
1 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
Native
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 345
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 83

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Native » 1 week ago

as of this morning, Jerry Palm has Rhode Island in the East Region as a Four Seed, facing initially Vermont in San Diego.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/
0 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2536
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 617

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhodymob05 » 1 week ago

Native wrote:as of this morning, Jerry Palm has Rhode Island in the East Region as a Four Seed, facing initially Vermont in San Diego.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/


Unreal.
1 x
RHODE ISLAND’S TEAM

User avatar
rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1728
Joined: 5 years ago
x 235

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby rjsuperfly66 » 1 week ago

steviep123 wrote: I think if SBU wins out other than against us, then loses to us in the A10 final, I think that gets them at least in the play in game.


St. B's problem is that while they are getting W's on paper, they are relatively meaningless in the eyes of a committee. If you look at their 7 game win streak -- H 179, H 199, A 214, A 237, H 145, H 175, A 193 (these per RPI Forecast). So while the win streak has stabilized their season, I think they are going to struggle to pass teams that may lose a game or two, but then pick up a notable win against a potential NCAAT team. I think that is what makes tonight so important, URI is their only chance at a marquee win. If they don't win tonight, their only other chance at a marquee conference win will be in the A10T Final, assuming they play URI. If for some reason URI got upset, they would have to win the tournament.
2 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9441
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2922

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby TruePoint » 1 week ago

rjsuperfly66 wrote:If they don't win tonight, their only other chance at a marquee conference win will be in the A10T Final, assuming they play URI. If for some reason URI got upset, they would have to win the tournament.


I feel like you're essentially saying that if they don't win tonight, they have to win the A10 tournament regardless, right? I know that you're not explicitly saying that, but that is kind of what it means. If they need a marquee win and their only two chances are tonight and in the A10 finals, and they don't win tonight, they basically have no shot at an at large bid. I'm not sure I disagree with you, just want to flush out the logic on that a bit - if they get to the A10 finals they'd definitely hope that URI had been upset and forego the shot at the marquee win, right? Wouldn't help them at that point.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9932
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 1515
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby ATPTourFan » 1 week ago

BubbleWatch has us still just outside Lock status, but that’s fine.

0 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3259
Joined: 5 years ago
x 889

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby theblueram » 1 week ago

ESPN bubble watch moved us to Lock status today.
2 x

User avatar
SGreenwell
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1850
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Narragansett, RI
x 75
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby SGreenwell » 1 week ago

TruePoint wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:If they don't win tonight, their only other chance at a marquee conference win will be in the A10T Final, assuming they play URI. If for some reason URI got upset, they would have to win the tournament.


I feel like you're essentially saying that if they don't win tonight, they have to win the A10 tournament regardless, right? I know that you're not explicitly saying that, but that is kind of what it means. If they need a marquee win and their only two chances are tonight and in the A10 finals, and they don't win tonight, they basically have no shot at an at large bid. I'm not sure I disagree with you, just want to flush out the logic on that a bit - if they get to the A10 finals they'd definitely hope that URI had been upset and forego the shot at the marquee win, right? Wouldn't help them at that point.

I'd also add that if they lose tonight, and then make the A-10 finals and lose to us again, I ultimately don't think that does much for their resume. If anything, it shows they couldn't get it done against a Top 25 team three times. Peter Principle and what not - I'd peg them as a perfectly fine Top 100ish team, but if I was on the selection committee, I'd rather pick boom-or-bust teams for the field.
0 x

User avatar
Rhody74
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2891
Joined: 5 years ago
x 694

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhody74 » 1 week ago

theblueram wrote:ESPN bubble watch moved us to Lock status today.

So, does that mean if we lose out the rest of the season and lose our first game in the conference tournament, aka as pull a Baron, we would still make the NCAAT?
1 x
“What comes next is going to be big, and it’s going to be beautiful.”

User avatar
NYGFan_Section208
Sly Williams
Posts: 3522
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: West K
x 992

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby NYGFan_Section208 » 1 week ago

Rhody74 wrote:
theblueram wrote:ESPN bubble watch moved us to Lock status today.

So, does that mean if we lose out the rest of the season and lose our first game in the conference tournament, aka as pull a Baron, we would still make the NCAAT?


Pretty sure it says something like, once a team is locked, they can't come 'un-locked'...
0 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3150
Joined: 5 years ago
x 598

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Seawrightspostgame » 1 week ago

TruePoint wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:If they don't win tonight, their only other chance at a marquee conference win will be in the A10T Final, assuming they play URI. If for some reason URI got upset, they would have to win the tournament.


I feel like you're essentially saying that if they don't win tonight, they have to win the A10 tournament regardless, right? I know that you're not explicitly saying that, but that is kind of what it means. If they need a marquee win and their only two chances are tonight and in the A10 finals, and they don't win tonight, they basically have no shot at an at large bid. I'm not sure I disagree with you, just want to flush out the logic on that a bit - if they get to the A10 finals they'd definitely hope that URI had been upset and forego the shot at the marquee win, right? Wouldn't help them at that point.

Homerun.
0 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby steviep123 » 1 week ago

Native wrote:as of this morning, Jerry Palm has Rhode Island in the East Region as a Four Seed, facing initially Vermont in San Diego.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/


Interesting tid bit about this bracket is if it happened, he also has Providence as the 9 seed. Meaning if both get to the sweet 16, they'll play each other in Boston. I'd rather not have that. If both teams get far enough to play each other, I'd rather have it be in a later round.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1259
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 523

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Rhody15 » 1 week ago

steviep123 wrote:
Native wrote:as of this morning, Jerry Palm has Rhode Island in the East Region as a Four Seed, facing initially Vermont in San Diego.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/


Interesting tid bit about this bracket is if it happened, he also has Providence as the 9 seed. Meaning if both get to the sweet 16, they'll play each other in Boston. I'd rather not have that. If both teams get far enough to play each other, I'd rather have it be in a later round.


I think nearly all of us of us would sign up for a Rhody PC Sweet 16 match up in Boston...
4 x
Go Rhody

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3150
Joined: 5 years ago
x 598

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Seawrightspostgame » 1 week ago

That would be the game. The problem is the tickets would be like $1000. So I am hoping not.
0 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby steviep123 » 1 week ago

Rhody15 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Native wrote:as of this morning, Jerry Palm has Rhode Island in the East Region as a Four Seed, facing initially Vermont in San Diego.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/


Interesting tid bit about this bracket is if it happened, he also has Providence as the 9 seed. Meaning if both get to the sweet 16, they'll play each other in Boston. I'd rather not have that. If both teams get far enough to play each other, I'd rather have it be in a later round.


I think nearly all of us of us would sign up for a Rhody PC Sweet 16 match up in Boston...


I'd rather it be a round or two later. Either for or in a Final Four.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

User avatar
Da_Process_Survivor
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1059
Joined: 3 years ago
x 1040

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby Da_Process_Survivor » 1 week ago

Rhody15 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Native wrote:as of this morning, Jerry Palm has Rhode Island in the East Region as a Four Seed, facing initially Vermont in San Diego.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/


Interesting tid bit about this bracket is if it happened, he also has Providence as the 9 seed. Meaning if both get to the sweet 16, they'll play each other in Boston. I'd rather not have that. If both teams get far enough to play each other, I'd rather have it be in a later round.


I think nearly all of us of us would sign up for a Rhody PC Sweet 16 match up in Boston...


Pass for 1 specific reason...I dont want PC to even make the Sweet 16
3 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

URI96
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 458
Joined: 5 years ago
x 26

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby URI96 » 1 week ago

Can you imagine the shit show that the ticket situation would be if PC & URI are playing in the regionals in Boston. Yikes
2 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.

User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 6104
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: San Diego, CA
x 1534

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Postby adam914 » 1 week ago

This is all assuming PC can actually win a first round game for once.
9 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017


Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”