THE EARLY LINE URI VS RICHMOND

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

THE EARLY LINE URI VS RICHMOND

Unread post by luke »

The line has opened at URI -14 1/2 . i would say that is a pretty fair line that could get action on either side .
It could still be a 20 point win , but i could also see a 10- 12 point margin . The Rams have to continue the hyper
pressure game and protect the ball if they want to pull off another mid double digit victory . This is no time to
take the foot off the gas or to take their opponent lightly in any way . Richmond has shown the ability to play
well in the past 10 or so games , though they did allow the Bonnies to take them apart in Oolean.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS RICHMOND

Unread post by TruePoint »

I expect a throttling. The last time I was this confident in a throttling was Duquesne's visit to the Ryan, though, so take it for what it's worth.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yup, they're a guard team that doesn't play defense. bad recipe for them
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RPI has this one as URI by 16.1 with a 93% probability of winning.
This is the highest point spread of any remaining game

I have been nervous about the last 4-5 games but this game I think we match up very well against Richmond. I think out pressing defense, our hunger for more and more respect in the National Polls, being left out of the Top 16 CBS on Sunday, our team confidence, our depth as Dan Hurley say we have 8 starters, all point to exceeding the 14 1/2 points. I'm confident in this one. About to go find a Teddy Bear for tomorrow night.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Richmond is better than their numbers indicate, I could see it being one of these 15-20 point games like Davidson that ends up around 10 at the final buzzer
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster - FYI when you quote rpiforecast what you are actually quoting is sagarin. rpiforecast's forecasts are based on Jeff Sagarin's projections.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

After two high energy/emotional games and a big Friday night road contest upcoming I am a little worried that we come out a little flat ala Duquesne. I'm confident we get the W but have a feeling it might be closer than we expect.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:ramster - FYI when you quote rpiforecast what you are actually quoting is sagarin. rpiforecast's forecasts are based on Jeff Sagarin's projections.
I did not know that.

How do you figure out the probability that one team beats another?
I use Jeff Sagarin's "PREDICTOR" to predict the "expected" margin of victory between any two teams. Becuase this is only what you would expect on average, I combinine that with a standard deviation to come up with a probability of victory. Jeff Sagarin's "PREDICTOR" is consistently the best rating available at precicting future outcomes. Thanks Jeff for making the data available. I DO NOT USE THE CURRENT RPI TO FORECAST FUTURE WINS/LOSSES!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NJ03 wrote:After two high energy/emotional games and a big Friday night road contest upcoming I am a little worried that we come out a little flat ala Duquesne. I'm confident we get the W but have a feeling it might be closer than we expect.
Another reason we need LOTS of students at this game.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yeah i can definitely share your feelings NJ 103 . It is a concern , but as noted , they don't play D so I think it is less of
a concern for that reason.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The spread is now URI - 16 . It's a big number , but the Rams have been beating even big numbers recently.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes I see -16 also line seems accurate to me
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I feel like RIchmond covers this one.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big reason URI will cover this 16 points is the depth. As Hurley says, URI has 8 starters. So when Richmond subs 3 deep URI basically still has 5 starters on the Floor. Plus that does not even count Akele who would likely start for Richmond. Richmond plays their starters a lot of minutes, but these starters will get worn down by the URI pressure defense. They will not be as effective as when playing teams other than URI.
This is a big point spread for a reason. Richmond is young, inexperienced and will succumb to the veteran, Senior laden line up of a URI Team that is hungry to prove the Basketball world wrong and especially since they were left our of the CBS 16 Teams. Take URI even with the 16 points.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

@ ramster

I can't believe I live in a world where URI gives 16 points and still covers the spread. Crazy!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote:@ ramster

I can't believe I live in a world where URI gives 16 points and still covers the spread. Crazy!!!
No
It means give the 16 points, URI has to win by 17 or more. URI is favored big time time but I still think they cover
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Down to 14.5 today
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote:Down to 14.5 today
Well there you go. That's more like it. :)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody by 9
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018