2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I don’t know if this goes here as it’s a general observation but I admit I was very down on Cyril L’s game due to his wild, crazy fouls and putting the ball on the floor every time he got the ball down low. Did not realize his injury had so much to do with that apparently but I will now eat my words. He is the X factor based on his last few games and even if his production goes down a bit it will make things so much easier for the guards. Now let’s fill up the seats and enjoy this ride.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True it's amazing how important CL is to our team. We need him to be dominant if we want to get where we need to go
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote:I would think/hope that students will eat up whatever tickets aren’t sold. An 8:30 tip is a tough sell on a work/school night. People can’t bring their kids, and couples with kids will have a tougher time finding babysitting. People that live outside of south county will have to contemplate getting home at midnight. I’m hopeful that enough people are in a situation for it to be a good crowd, but if it isn’t a sellout people shouldn’t be surprised or upset. The fan base has proven it will show up, so if they can’t one time because of circumstances, I won’t hold it against them.
I have to disagree with the general sentiment here and from most posters on this thread. 7:30-8PM start times are more ideal, if you ask me... If you don't live and work in the URI area or south of Providence it's tough to get there in time for a 7PM tip. I work outside of Boston and I'm lucky to be in my seat for 7:30 most weeknight games... if we are to appeal to a larger media market for home games, a deferred tip until 7:30 or 8 is most ideal. I know I'm not alone either... mostly all young URI alumni I know that remain in New England work in the Boston Metro area.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't know what you're disagreeing with here - we weren't talking about a 7:30 tip. We were talking about an 8:30 tip.

I happen to agree with you that for me personally, a 7:30 or even 8:00 tip would be better than 7:00, because like you I live and work in Boston. I cannot leave my office in Back Bay any later than 4:30 and be in my seat for 7:00 (and I drive really fast, when I am not stuck in parking lot like traffic).

Please realize that I was not making this argument about myself and what is best for me. I was saying expect that some amount of families that usually attend games will not be able to because of the late tip. That was my whole point, nothing more nothing less.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't know what you're disagreeing with here - we weren't talking about a 7:30 tip. We were talking about an 8:30 tip.

I happen to agree with you that for me personally, a 7:30 or even 8:00 tip would be better than 7:00, because like you I live and work in Boston. I cannot leave my office in Back Bay any later than 4:30 and be in my seat for 7:00 (and I drive really fast, when I am not stuck in parking lot like traffic).

Please realize that I was not making this argument about myself and what is best for me. I was saying expect that some amount of families that usually attend games will not be able to because of the late tip. That was my whole point, nothing more nothing less.
Agree with both of the previous posters. I also work/live just outside of Boston. That and having a toddler prevent me from making 7pm games on time, and honestly I mainly go to weekend games.

Like TP, an 8:30 start is tough for most with families. I can't go Tues or senior night since my wife works so I'm on daddy duty. But even if I could go, the 8:30 start would make it easier to get to, but it would be a tough ride home and a late night. I imagine most feel that way.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

URI Athletics sent out emails promoting the free white-out t shirts they're distributing in addition to the teddy bear drive. Not sure if this is just for students or for all fans, but either way a good effort to get people to come out for the game.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Anybody remember what happened last time we played them???

They embarrassed us and we embarrassed ourselves.

Lets get vengeful on them.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Opening line is URI -14.5 !!! :lol: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/odds/
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Any streaming update? I am in FL and place I am staying at doesn’t have CBSSN.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

For those of you thinking about having some beers before the game I suggest going to Shaidzon Brewery (located across from Schneider). Thanks to some prodding on my end they are specifically opening from 5-8 to accommodate URI fans for this game. I will be there with some friends. Hope to see some other Rhody fans too.
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:I have no worries about the crowd
2 Tickets plus 2 Popcorns for $20 Total makes the game practically free
8:30pm game ends by 10:15pm - so you get home 90 minutes later than you normally would

- URI will be Nationally Ranked #15 or higher when Polls come out Monday generating even more publicity on the local TV and Radio Stations
- Highest National Ranking EVER in regular season for URI
- Going for 16th straight win!!!!
- National TV
- The atmosphere at the Ryan Center is electric right now - no better place to be on a Tuesday night in February

As for Richmond................

Richmond is 177.6 Current RPI putting them 7th in the 14 team A10. URI is favored by RPIForecast to win by 16.2 points with a 93% chance to win.

Richmond is very young with 3 Freshman starters against St Bonaventure. Listed are the minutes each starter played vs the Bonnies
Nick Sherod 6'4" Sophomore - 38 min
Grant Golden 6'10" Freshman - 32 min
Khwan Fore 6'0" Junior - 37 min
Jacob Gilyard 5'9" Freshman - 36 min
Nathan Cayo 6'7" Freshman - 34 min

Note sure what is up with De'Monte Buckingham. He sat out 3 games ago vs George Mason for disciplinary reasons per Chris Mooney. He played limited versus VCU the next game coming out due to dehydration and leg cramps. Then he did not play against St Bonaventure for the same reason he came out vs VCU

Grant Golden got a medical redshirt his Freshman year so this year he is a Freshman. He played 8 games as a Freshman in 2016-17 but he got the NCAA Medical Redshirt after undergoing cardiac ablation procedure on December 22 to correct an accelerated heart rate that caused him to collapse vs Texas Tech on Dec 17.
Golden is a strong candidate for A10 Rookie of the Year as he leads Richmond with 16 ppg and plus he averages 6.4 rebounds per game
Hurley on Golden......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

:D Teddy Bear Toss :D
:D White Out :D
:D going for 16 wins in a ROW :D
:D Ranked 16th AP and 14th USA Today - Highest Ranking Ever and Climbing :D

Who cares if the game is at 8:30pm :?: :?:
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like there's about 2500 seats left, including the student sections. If close to 2000 students go, it'll be a really nice crowd.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

My buddy and I are going to the game. Can somebody please explain what a whiteout is?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I just hope the season ticket holders who aren't going give their tickets away.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote:My buddy and I are going to the game. Can somebody please explain what a whiteout is?
Everybody wears white - so the stands all look white

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote:
PeteRI wrote:My buddy and I are going to the game. Can somebody please explain what a whiteout is?

AWESOME! Thanks!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is more on the White Out too

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......really?........it is a weather phenomenon involving the wearing of white clothing and waving white towels, and other assorted white related items in the RC.......my guess is Fatts will not like it..... ;)
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

East Tennessee lost tonight on the road at UNC Greensboro snapping their 16 game winning streak.

I believe that gives us the longest current D-1 winning streak at 15 games!! Congratulations Rhody!
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reckless jake wrote:East Tennessee lost tonight on the road at UNC Greensboro snapping their 16 game winning streak.

I believe that gives us the longest current D-1 winning streak at 15 games!! Congratulations Rhody!
Cincinnati has won 16, which Rhody hopefully ties tomorrow.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

ace wrote:
reckless jake wrote:East Tennessee lost tonight on the road at UNC Greensboro snapping their 16 game winning streak.

Oooooops. Sorry. That Cincinnati win on Sunday slipped right by me. It obviously slipped by SMU as well.
Last edited by reckless jake 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote:

First 5,000 fans get a free white out tshirt! Rhody pulling out the stops
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reckless jake wrote:
ace wrote:

Oooooops. Sorry. That Cincinnati win on Sunday slipped right by me. It obviously slipped by SMU as well.
It also slipped by the GoRhody writer

KINGSTON, R.I. - For the fourth straight week, Rhode Island is ranked in both national polls, coming in No. 14 in the USA Today Coaches Poll and No. 16 in the Associated Press poll. It is the highest in-season ranking in either poll in program history for the Rams, who have won 15 straight games. The streak is the second longest active one in the country, behind only Eastern Tennessee State's 16-game streak.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0212jgifjt
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramtastico wrote:Waaaa Waaaa stop crying thin skinned bitch. Worst post ever? I guess you don’t count yours. BTW, I’ve been to 5 away and 3 home games from Atlanta, and I don’t live alone, not retired, or any other thing that you mention! I very seldom pay attention to the authors of posts but I always read posts about excuses for bad attendance because of times, weeknights, conflicts with football games, weather, etc. My point is we are in the best position ever and these games barely sell out. Unless people were in beer lines, the Davidson game, listed as sold out had tons of empty seats in back of the score table and the south (URI) baseline from TV. I spoke to people that were there and they saw lots of empties too. What’s up with that?
Ramtastico,
Attendance for Davidson was 7,743
Ryan Center Capacity is 7,657 so we were 86 people over capacity

Not sure at what time you saw the empty seats but to me there are several issues:
- Late arrivals. Many people are still coming to their seats 10 minutes or more after the start of the game. As VCU does every game (and they have now been sold out well over 100 consecutive games) URI should open the turnstiles 90 minutes before game time. 60 minutes is not enough to get 7700 fans into their seats. They do let the Rhody Ruckus in 75 minutes before game time - so why not let everyone in 75 minutes before game time? The Lobby is jammed with people 60 minutes before game time - and they sometimes allow people thru the turnstiles 3-5 minutes early just to relieve the pressure in the lobby. I do not know what is so magical about the 60 minutes. Wanding everyone who enters for security is also different from the past - has slowed entry into the Ryan Center as compared to the past - but the 60 minutes as stayed the same. URI needs to make adjustments to these sell out crowds to get people quickly from the Entry Doors, to the Concession Stands and to their seats before Tip Off..
- Long lines for Concessions. Many people have given up even trying to get drinks, food and popcorn - but that could be why you see empty seats in the arena too - especially early in the game or at the start of the 2nd half. URI needs to make adjustments to fix this
- Long Lines in the Rhody Pub - have been mentioned many, many times here.URI needs to make adjustments to fix this
I said it early in the season, this is a Management issue. Not much has changed.

But it is also up to the URI fans. They know they only have 60 minutes max to get to their seats before tip off. They know concessions and the Pub are slow. They know the wanding takes place. They know that traffic is going to be difficult because parking has been reduced and the roads in are 2 lane and back up. So the fans need to allow more time to get to their seats.

I agree with you that people need to just suck it up and get to these games. URI now with the 2nd longest winning streak in the Nation behind Cincinnati at 16 straight games.
This is History in the Making right before our eyes. Only 3 Home Games Left.
No excuses as the team would say.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Is there any actual proof that opening doors 90 minutes ahead of time will make a difference? Yes, the lobby is packed at 60 minutes out, but does it stay packed from 25-50 minutes before game time? My guess is you have the first flood for doors open and then not much until 20 minutes before game time, which means opening the doors 90 minutes before does nothing.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No, there is no proof.
But VCU holds about the same capacity as URI and they have sold out over 100 straight games.
URI opens the doors 90 minutes before every home PC Game. So you could ask the question "Why does URI do that for the URI - PC Game?" Because they know it is a sell out. URI has been opening 90 minutes early for PC since the Ryan Center opened.

So now every game is like the PC Game - Sold Out.

We know there are issues with parking as lots have been closed for the Engineering Building Construction
We know we are now wanding which slows down the process
We know there are major issues with lines at Concessions and the Pub
We know there are many late arrivals

And these are new issues that have arisen recently

So if 90 minutes is good for the PC Game why wouldn't it make sense for Sell outs versus Davidson, Richmond, Dayton and St Joseph's?

Like most Arena's do, send out email surveys to ask the attendees their opinions on how to improve things at the Ryan Center. That will give all the proof needed - but the first step is to recognize there is a problem - I'm not sure the recognition is there yet - and if it is the next question would be what is being done to fix the problem(s)

Again,
I am addressing Ramtastico's question as to why he sees to many empty seats when the Ryan Center is attendance is above the building capacity.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

spookydog wrote:For those of you thinking about having some beers before the game I suggest going to Shaidzon Brewery (located across from Schneider). Thanks to some prodding on my end they are specifically opening from 5-8 to accommodate URI fans for this game. I will be there with some friends. Hope to see some other Rhody fans too.
Excellent idea...well played!
1 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Ramster I deleted the game but it was before halftime when I saw a view looking South baseline opposite Ruckus and my son said “wow that section is empty” but maybe they just left their seats to get in line early for food/beer? It sounded loud though.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Ramtastico wrote:Ramster I deleted the game but it was before halftime when I saw a view looking South baseline opposite Ruckus and my son said “wow that section is empty” but maybe they just left their seats to get in line early for food/beer? It sounded loud though.
That's where the Rammettes sit. They were probably in the tunnel getting ready for the next timeout or halftime. It definitely was a late arriving crowd. Some of that is the security, traffic, parking issues.

Also, I have at least 1, maybe 2 tickets for tonight if anyone is interested.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JFrech21 wrote:
Ramtastico wrote:Ramster I deleted the game but it was before halftime when I saw a view looking South baseline opposite Ruckus and my son said “wow that section is empty” but maybe they just left their seats to get in line early for food/beer? It sounded loud though.
That's where the Rammettes sit. They were probably in the tunnel getting ready for the next timeout or halftime. It definitely was a late arriving crowd. Some of that is the security, traffic, parking issues.

Also, I have at least 1, maybe 2 tickets for tonight if anyone is interested.
JFrech21, that is correct.
Ramtastico,
For sure that section in the lower arena was full for the game. Rammettes do sit there so they were up and in the tunnel getting ready for halftime but if just before halftime people could be going to concessions or to the bathrooms, or as JFrech said just to get a head start on the lines.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......any stream info?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

You get a solid 2-3 deep in the pubs on both sides for most games. Meaning, that's like 100 people give or take that only stay in the pub every game. Their seats stay empty. The lines are bad at times too. But, the line isn't the only issue creating an empty seat. The fact you have to drink the beer away from your seat is the issue.

People being out of their seats for halftime is common. Football teams know that on the road they wont have to face the crowd noise if they have the ball coming out of a half because people get out of their seats for halftime. I am sure this is no secret in basketball. The thing is Rhody has been aces coming out of the half this year.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reckless jake wrote:
ace wrote:

And they really aren't looking like they will lose anytime soon.

Although they do have a tough week with Houston and Wichita state on the docket.

Good thing we aren't looking like we will lose anytime soon either.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Anyone know if this game will be available via streaming anywhere?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

eli#10 wrote:Anyone know if this game will be available via streaming anywhere?
cbssports streams on their site.

or reddit will have streams here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ramster wrote:
Ramtastico wrote:Waaaa Waaaa stop crying thin skinned bitch. Worst post ever? I guess you don’t count yours. BTW, I’ve been to 5 away and 3 home games from Atlanta, and I don’t live alone, not retired, or any other thing that you mention! I very seldom pay attention to the authors of posts but I always read posts about excuses for bad attendance because of times, weeknights, conflicts with football games, weather, etc. My point is we are in the best position ever and these games barely sell out. Unless people were in beer lines, the Davidson game, listed as sold out had tons of empty seats in back of the score table and the south (URI) baseline from TV. I spoke to people that were there and they saw lots of empties too. What’s up with that?
Ramtastico,

Not sure at what time you saw the empty seats but to me there are several issues:
- Late arrivals. Many people are still coming to their seats 10 minutes or more after the start of the game. As VCU does every game (and they have now been sold out well over 100 consecutive games) URI should open the turnstiles 90 minutes before game time. 60 minutes is not enough to get 7700 fans into their seats. They do let the Rhody Ruckus in 75 minutes before game time - so why not let everyone in 75 minutes before game time? The Lobby is jammed with people 60 minutes before game time - and they sometimes allow people thru the turnstiles 3-5 minutes early just to relieve the pressure in the lobby. I do not know what is so magical about the 60 minutes. Wanding everyone who enters for security is also different from the past - has slowed entry into the Ryan Center as compared to the past - but the 60 minutes as stayed the same. URI needs to make adjustments to these sell out crowds to get people quickly from the Entry Doors, to the Concession Stands and to their seats before Tip Off..
- Long lines for Concessions. Many people have given up even trying to get drinks, food and popcorn - but that could be why you see empty seats in the arena too - especially early in the game or at the start of the 2nd half. URI needs to make adjustments to fix this
- Long Lines in the Rhody Pub - have been mentioned many, many times here.URI needs to make adjustments to fix this
I said it early in the season, this is a Management issue. Not much has changed.

But it is also up to the URI fans. They know they only have 60 minutes max to get to their seats before tip off. They know concessions and the Pub are slow. They know the wanding takes place. They know that traffic is going to be difficult because parking has been reduced and the roads in are 2 lane and back up. So the fans need to allow more time to get to their seats.

I agree with you that people need to just suck it up and get to these games. URI now with the 2nd longest winning streak in the Nation behind Cincinnati at 16 straight games.

Ramster...I have been to every home game the last 2 years. I normally get to the Ryan Center doors around 30-35 minutes before game time. I have NEVER waited in line. There may be a handful of people in front of me in the ticket line. I could probably count the number of people in the arena. Opening the doors 90 minutes early is not going to make an ounce of difference in getting people to their seats quicker. The problem is most people don't show up until 20 minutes before game time. That's why things get clogged up. They don't need to open the doors earlier. People need to show up earlier.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You have to have a healthy respect for the Richmond Spiders given their youth how they started the season. Their recent performance versus the Bonnies before a sold-out, hostile crowd was noteworthy, especially how they quickly wiped out a nine point halftime deficit and then took a lead late in the game.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

I have 2 Tix in Section 112 down low - next to my 4

Let me know if you are interested
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Ramtastico wrote:Waaaa Waaaa stop crying .

Ramster...I have been to every home game the last 2 years. I normally get to the Ryan Center doors around 30-35 minutes before game time. I have NEVER waited in line. There may be a handful of people in front of me in the ticket line. I could probably count the number of people in the arena. Opening the doors 90 minutes early is not going to make an ounce of difference in getting people to their seats quicker. The problem is most people don't show up until 20 minutes before game time. That's why things get clogged up. They don't need to open the doors earlier. People need to show up earlier.
Or...maybe tip-off a tad later? Just throwing it out there.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Or...maybe tip-off a tad later? Just throwing it out there.

TV would have a problem with a delayed tip.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

As far as the south end goes, there was a sectioned cordoned off marked "reserved" that didn't fill up until after the game started.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote:As far as the south end goes, there was a sectioned cordoned off marked "reserved" that didn't fill up until after the game started.
Was it the kids singing the national anthem?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I don't think so. When I looked over there appeared to be mainly adults, but then again I was trying to pay attention to the game.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RAM67 wrote:I don't think so. When I looked over there appeared to be mainly adults, but then again I was trying to pay attention to the game.
It was Berry's family. They were pretty much all there at tip and were making a bunch of signs. Was fun to see
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I think you are right. I do remember the Berry signs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Ramtastico,

and how many of those the last two years were sellouts? Dayton and St Joseph's Will be Sell Out just like PC is. If it doesn't matter then why do doors open 90 minutes early for PC every time we play them at home?

Plus the Ruckus gets in 75 minutes early - why not everyone them?

While you may not wait at the door, for sure there is waiting for concessions.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Spiders might be without sophomore guard De'Monte Buckingham, who is averaging 12.4 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. He did not play against St. Bonaventure because of dehydration and leg cramps, which sent him to the hospital last week after he missed most of the previous game against VCU.

Richmond coach Chris Mooney, encouraged by how his team competed against St. Bonaventure despite the lack of quality depth, said he is hopeful to have Buckingham healthy enough to play against Rhode Island. He was considered questionable as of Monday morning.

http://www.espn.co.uk/mens-college-bask ... =400989983
0 x