2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by TruePoint »

University of Richmond at #18 University of Rhode Island
Thomas M. Ryan Center
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
8:30PM - CBSSN

Media

TV: CBSSN

Stream: CBS Sports app, or csbssports.com (direct link will be posted when available)

Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... in-numbers
http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 31270.html
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0212qqq0nj

Vegas: URI -15.5

Opponent

Record:
9-15, 7-5 in the Atlantic 10
Away: 3-6
Last season: 22-13, 13-5 in Atlantic 10

Rankings:
RPI: 170
BPI: 187
KenPom: 185
Sagarin: 162

Leaders:
Points - Grant Golden, 16.0
Rebounds - De'Monte Buckingham, 7.2
Assists - Jacob Gilyard, 4.0

Last Five (3-2)
2/10/18   @SBON   L  97-88
2/7/18    VCU     W  77-76
2/3/18    GMU     L  79-75
1/28/18   @DAV    W  66-63
1/24/18   @DUQ    W  77-73 (OT)
Roster and Statistics

[To be added]

Coaching Staff

[To be added]

Preview

via gorhody.com

- Tuesday will be the 24th game all time between Rhode Island and Richmond.
Richmond leads the series, 14-9, though Rhode Island has won three of the last four meetings between the teams.

- Richmond is the only team in the Atlantic 10 that Rhode Island does not have an active winning streak against.

- The Spiders beat the Rams 73-62 on Jan. 25, 2017 last season. Richmond built a 21-point lead in the second half and withstood a late Rhode Island push to hold on for the victory.

- The game will feature two of the nation's top thieves. Richmond's Jacob Gilyard ranks fifth in the country with 2.83 steals per contest, while Rhode Island's Stanford Robinson is seventh in the country at 2.50 steals per game.

- While Richmond ranks 23rd in the country with 7.9 steals per game, Rhode Island is one of the best in the nation at preventing turnovers. The Rams commit just 11.0 turnovers per game, which ranks 22nd nationally.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Here you go everyone desperate to talk about Richmond. Will update further after their game with Bonnies this afternoon.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If we move up in the rankings on Monday and this is not a sellout it would be very disappointing.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would think/hope that students will eat up whatever tickets aren’t sold. An 8:30 tip is a tough sell on a work/school night. People can’t bring their kids, and couples with kids will have a tougher time finding babysitting. People that live outside of south county will have to contemplate getting home at midnight. I’m hopeful that enough people are in a situation for it to be a good crowd, but if it isn’t a sellout people shouldn’t be surprised or upset. The fan base has proven it will show up, so if they can’t one time because of circumstances, I won’t hold it against them.
7 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My guess around 6500.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Students need to be ready to fill the arena then. Isn't the single season win streak record for URI 16? Well, this game is number 16.
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

still plenty of seats aval. per gorhody (I'm not counting dots)
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

They were advertising a flash sale for tix at last nights game( can’t remember the details). There’s a deal on Groupon for a $15 lower level ticket that comes with the 2017 A10 commemorative magazine. They’re trying to get people there, but it’s a tough sell. Students will have to pick up the slack.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They have to push the history being made. The longest win streak since 1939. A chance at history.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

flash sale is $20 per ticket, you each get a commemorative A10 program and an A10 champion koozie

This game also qualifies for the weekday 2 deal, 2 tickets and 2 vouchers for popcorn for $20 today

Both of those deals put you in the same seats (Section 209)
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is a TV game. Have to expect an 8:30 weekday start to have an impact on the 6,000 fans that aren’t students.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Gonna be at least 2k students...late tip on a weekday is gonna kill the family crowd.

Also winning this game gives us a calendar year undefeated in the A10...and we will have beaten every other A10 team in the timeframe
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't buy the late game talk. The team is ranked #18 in the country on a 15 game winning streak. I'll pull a Costanza and sleep under my desk, but I am not missing this game.
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This game won't even be close to selling out. There's tons of tickets left. Surprisingly, there's tons for Senior night left also.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

`Is ST joe senior night?

i bought two tickets in the 200 section for dirt cheap recently.I expect unless the team tanks between now and then it will be an easy sell out regardless.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:I don't buy the late game talk. The team is ranked #18 in the country on a 15 game winning streak. I'll pull a Costanza and sleep under my desk, but I am not missing this game.
I don't know what to tell you about buying it, but many people just cannot go to a game at that time. It isn't a matter of want to or sleeping under your desk. They never should have agreed to play an 8:30 weeknight game if they cared about attendance
3 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Anyone see this as a trap game?

With so much success behind us and the big showdown at ST Bonaventure a few days later. Not to mention the Crowd will be visibility smaller then usual

Richmond has shown at time they can play... Hurley needs to maybe take lesion from BB and not show emotion after these wins but rather act like are expected if they do their job.

If eveyrone comes out with hgih effort and small reasonabyly well it should be an easy double digit win. IMO
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:I don't buy the late game talk. The team is ranked #18 in the country on a 15 game winning streak. I'll pull a Costanza and sleep under my desk, but I am not missing this game.
I don't know what to tell you about buying it, but many people just cannot go to a game at that time. It isn't a matter of want to or sleeping under your desk. They never should have agreed to play an 8:30 weeknight game if they cared about attendance
I guess. But then when we compare attendance figures to pc, should we take into account the number of 9pm starts they have had over the past few years?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

blueram, I think that's fair. The only caveat, and not trying to make excuses for URI fans here, is that in Providence there are just MANY more people in the immediate vicinity of the game who could get home in 15 minutes afterward, and just generally more people in the area of the arena, so naturally will be more that don't have circumstances that would prevent them from going to the game at that time. As an example, if you added up the total head count of people in bars and restaurants within 10 miles of the Civic Center and the Ryan at 10pm on an average Tuesday, there would be 10x more people in bars and restaurants near the Civic Center, possibly more. It's just a matter of population density.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I bet Providence has a greater density than Foxboro. If people want to be there, they will be there.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Please don’t compare a game in downtown providence vs east gabum south county.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Coming from Cranston and working in a school I saw the day/time of this game early in the year and gave the tickets to a friend. It’s just late for a weeknight- especially when it will be on TV. I’ve taken my 6 year old daughter to most of the games this year- there’s nothing she loves more- but going to this one was never a realistic option.
3 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

I’m approximately 1 hour away from the RC, and will be there in the same seat I have been in for every single home game this year. This team has shown up for me every game so far, and I intend to show up for them.
8 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We’ll be there too but we’re retired and live in Westrrly.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote:We’ll be there too but we’re retired and live in Westerly.
Same (minus the retired thing)...but we live in West K...and will just look at it as more time to pre-game...
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

No way I'm missing it! My daughter's still coming and she won't be home till past Midnight. We'll deal with Wednesday on Wednesday.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'll be there with my high school buddy. (He and I are lonnnng removed from that time.)
1 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I drive about 2.5 hours each way from New Hampshire and I’ve made it to 7 games so far this year, including three 7pm weeknight games. If I wasn’t going to be in Germany for work next week I’d definitely be making the trip. What this team is doing is special and I want to witness as many games in person as I can.
6 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Same for me...I work in Boston, live in Smithfield, and have been to every home game this season. I love this team so I will be at every game!
4 x
Common sense is not common.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I have to work till 9 that night and wouldn’t get there till after 9:30. Debating if it’s worth it to go or just dvr it. Does anyone know if they even let people in that late into a game ?
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Backroads wrote:I have to work till 9 that night and wouldn’t get there till after 9:30. Debating if it’s worth it to go or just dvr it. Does anyone know if they even let people in that late into a game ?
I was in a similar situation last year at the Davidson game. Didn’t go. You could say I regret that.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Justns11 wrote:If I wasn’t going to be in Germany for work next week I’d definitely be making the trip.
No excuses..
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I know the people on the Board are at the top of the Rhody fan base. We think differently. The difference between a crowd of 6,000 and 7,600 is the average fan. Remember that the sell outs have been part of a mini plan. The Dayton game is part of a mini plan. The Richmond game isn’t part of a mini plan AND starts at 8:30 on a weekday. URI MBB knew this would be a lesser crowd but the TV exposure and revenue is worth it. We will get a good crowd for Richmond and great crowds for Dayton and St Joe’s (Sr Night).
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hoping for north of 6200
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:
I don't think it was a matter of agreeing to it. I'm sure the television partner said this is the game we're airing and we're going to do it at this time. I doubt the television contract allows us to veto that decision
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You can’t decline to be on TV? I’m not saying we SHOULD have declined it. I’m just curious if the TV partner says you have to play at 3AM if you’re allowed to say thanks but no thanks.

The reality is that an 8:30 game is going to be a viable option for fewer people than a 7:00 game. That’s OK - we should still get a number of people that would be normal most years the building has been open, and there’s a chance that the students could rally and make up a good portion of the difference. If anything, for one night I’d actually be OK with having 6500 if 2500 if that is students. What you lose in bodies you can make up for in energy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have no worries about the crowd
2 Tickets plus 2 Popcorns for $20 Total makes the game practically free
8:30pm game ends by 10:15pm - so you get home 90 minutes later than you normally would

- URI will be Nationally Ranked #15 or higher when Polls come out Monday generating even more publicity on the local TV and Radio Stations
- Highest National Ranking EVER in regular season for URI
- Going for 16th straight win!!!!
- National TV
- The atmosphere at the Ryan Center is electric right now - no better place to be on a Tuesday night in February

As for Richmond................

Richmond is 177.6 Current RPI putting them 7th in the 14 team A10. URI is favored by RPIForecast to win by 16.2 points with a 93% chance to win.

Richmond is very young with 3 Freshman starters against St Bonaventure. Listed are the minutes each starter played vs the Bonnies
Nick Sherod 6'4" Sophomore - 38 min
Grant Golden 6'10" Freshman - 32 min
Khwan Fore 6'0" Junior - 37 min
Jacob Gilyard 5'9" Freshman - 36 min
Nathan Cayo 6'7" Freshman - 34 min

Note sure what is up with De'Monte Buckingham. He sat out 3 games ago vs George Mason for disciplinary reasons per Chris Mooney. He played limited versus VCU the next game coming out due to dehydration and leg cramps. Then he did not play against St Bonaventure for the same reason he came out vs VCU

Grant Golden got a medical redshirt his Freshman year so this year he is a Freshman. He played 8 games as a Freshman in 2016-17 but he got the NCAA Medical Redshirt after undergoing cardiac ablation procedure on December 22 to correct an accelerated heart rate that caused him to collapse vs Texas Tech on Dec 17.
Golden is a strong candidate for A10 Rookie of the Year as he leads Richmond with 16 ppg and plus he averages 6.4 rebounds per game
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Grant Golden back and playing well is fantastic. I remember when he collapsed, and it was scary as hell. His is one of the great stories in the A10 this season.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:You can’t decline to be on TV? I’m not saying we SHOULD have declined it. I’m just curious if the TV partner says you have to play at 3AM if you’re allowed to say thanks but no thanks.

The reality is that an 8:30 game is going to be a viable option for fewer people than a 7:00 game. That’s OK - we should still get a number of people that would be normal most years the building has been open, and there’s a chance that the students could rally and make up a good portion of the difference. If anything, for one night I’d actually be OK with having 6500 if 2500 if that is students. What you lose in bodies you can make up for in energy.
I am guessing the A10 works with CBSSN on the games when it is putting together the league schedule. The A10 may contact the school to get their ok if the time is unusual.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

No excuses. Pathetic that posters are bitching about late starts, etc. Put your big boy pants on and go. When I lived in RI I went to Amherst for a game, drove back and made a sales presentation the next AM in Providence. Road trips to Fordham and on conference calls the next day at 9. Drove to St. Joe’s, almost get arrested, eat a cheesesteak at 11 and drive home(ok no meeting that morning).
Toughen your kids up and take them. Some of my son’s best memories were road trips and late games. We are a top 20 team and can’t fill a little over 7000 seats? You bitch and moaners don’t deserve this team. Small time whining thinkers. I would give anything to be able to see these games in person.
We are in dreamland and you all are crying about an 8:30 start? “Think Small, We Do”
When Dan leaves you will be moaning and wondering why. Fill the damn Ryan Center, bitches.
7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramtastico wrote:No excuses. Pathetic that posters are bitching about late starts, etc. Put your big boy pants on and go. When I lived in RI I went to Amherst for a game, drove back and made a sales presentation the next AM in Providence. Road trips to Fordham and on conference calls the next day at 9. Drove to St. Joe’s, almost get arrested, eat a cheesesteak at 11 and drive home(ok no meeting that morning).
Toughen your kids up and take them. Some of my son’s best memories were road trips and late games. We are a top 20 team and can’t fill a little over 7000 seats? You bitch and moaners don’t deserve this team. Small time whining thinkers. I would give anything to be able to see these games in person.
We are in dreamland and you all are crying about an 8:30 start? “Think Small, We Do”
When Dan leaves you will be moaning and wondering why. Fill the damn Ryan Center, bitches.
+10000000
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Ramtastico wrote:No excuses. Pathetic that posters are bitching about late starts, etc. Put your big boy pants on and go. When I lived in RI I went to Amherst for a game, drove back and made a sales presentation the next AM in Providence. Road trips to Fordham and on conference calls the next day at 9. Drove to St. Joe’s, almost get arrested, eat a cheesesteak at 11 and drive home(ok no meeting that morning).
Reading comprehension must be rocket science for some around here.

No one here said they aren't going because of the start. Just pointing out that the start time will keep families away being a school night.

But you and blue man are gonna start a circle jerk so have at it
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote:I have no worries about the crowd
8:30pm game ends by 10:15pm - so you get home 90 minutes later than you normally would
In what universe does a Division I college basketball game end in less than 100 minutes???
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
ramster wrote:I have no worries about the crowd
In what universe does a Division I college basketball game end in less than 100 minutes???
Bottom line is the game is 90 minutes later than the normal 7pm start. Whatever time the game takes to play then you get home 90 minutes later.

But I would still say that a 8:30pm Game will end by 10:15pm, 10:30 at the latest
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think the crowd will be a lot bigger than some here think

I agree with Ramtastico. It's crazy that we are even talking about the Ryan Center being filled up Tuesday night

15 Straight Wins
5th in RPI out of 351 teams
Likely the Top 15 (or higher) Team in the Country in AP tomorrow at noon - Highest Ever
4 Starting Seniors - some of whom are already ranked high in URI's record books - and climbing
A Coach who could go down as one of the greatest ever at URI
Only 3 Games Left at the Ryan Center this season
By FAR the best team in New England - not even close

Seriously, if you can't justify going to this game Tuesday night because of the 90 minute later start time, then you can't but a lot of people can
and as for students - wake up people
I feel sorry for all the Students who went to URI when the team was bad and that includes the stretch from Post Harrick to the fist couple of years of Dan Hurley when he had to dismantle and rebuild the house
But today's students should be banging the doors down to the Ryan Center these last 3 games
Maybe the Athletic Department should simply up the student tickets available sooner rather than later
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hey man, no excuses. If you were a real fan you'd be at the game. Small time thinking right here.

For real this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on this board. First of all, your whole premise is off because not one person - not one - is complaining about the start time. Second of all, I haven't seen anyone post here saying that they personally are not going because the start time is too late. What people have said is that this is going impact attendance, because not every person that attends a game is a frothing at the mouth die hard. If you go to games, you will see that there are lots of families and couples. Many of these people will not be able to go to a game that starts this late - that isn't a complaint about the start time, it is a neutral factual observation. And to get all upset about that fact is idiotic. People will go to the games if they can, but not every fan is like us and willing to move heaven and earth to go to a basketball game. For many people, they won't have to move heaven and earth, and those people should and I think probably will go. But for others, their life circumstances won't allow it.

There is a reason they don't play all the games at 8:30.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Hey man, no excuses. If you were a real fan you'd be at the game. Small time thinking right here.

For real this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on this board. First of all, your whole premise is off because not one person - not one - is complaining about the start time. Second of all, I haven't seen anyone post here saying that they personally are not going because the start time is too late. What people have said is that this is going impact attendance, because not every person that attends a game is a frothing at the mouth die hard. If you go to games, you will see that there are lots of families and couples. Many of these people will not be able to go to a game that starts this late - that isn't a complaint about the start time, it is a neutral factual observation. And to get all upset about that fact is idiotic. People will go to the games if they can, but not every fan is like us and willing to move heaven and earth to go to a basketball game. For many people, they won't have to move heaven and earth, and those people should and I think probably will go. But for others, their life circumstances won't allow it.

There is a reason they don't play all the games at 8:30.
Well, that thought process should be out the door for this game. If we beat Richmond on Tuesday, we tie the all time win streak set in 19 freaking 39! This game has importance besides the opponent and the start time.
3 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Go to the game! It doesn't get much better than this. Dream seasons do not come along every year. I went to every home game between 1981 and 1984 when the team lost twenty games each year. There were probably no more than 50 students on the keaney stage supporting the team. Now I go and watch a top 20 team on Friday, and then spend time on Saturday checking the facts that we will be moving up on Monday and ahead of North Carolina and Kentucky. To add to it my two "favorite teams" get their asses kicked by DePaul and Wichita State. Trust me, you will regret not going (if you can).
This team has the ability, chemistry, coaching, and determination to do some special things this year. Every game someone steps up to give us a W. and by the way, I think Jarvis has 912 points with more than likely 10 games to play. I was watching Syracuse and Wake Forest this afternoon and there was a national commercial to watch Tuesday's game. Are you kidding? One last item - I will be writing my Senior Night post in a couple of weeks. After going to 50 of them, I can't imagine a greater more emotional evening of basketball for a sold out Ryan center. Go Rhody!
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote:Go to the game! It doesn't get much better than this. Dream seasons do not come along every year. I went to every home game between 1981 and 1984 when the team lost twenty games each year. There were probably no more than 50 students on the keaney stage supporting the team. Now I go and watch a top 20 team on Friday, and then spend time on Saturday checking the facts that we will be moving up on Monday and ahead of North Carolina and Kentucky. To add to it my two "favorite teams" get their asses kicked by DePaul and Wichita State. Trust me, you will regret not going (if you can).
This team has the ability, chemistry, coaching, and determination to do some special things this year. Every game someone steps up to give us a W. and by the way, I think Jarvis has 912 points with more than likely 10 games to play. I was watching Syracuse and Wake Forest this afternoon and there was a national commercial to watch Tuesday's game. Are you kidding? One last item - I will be writing my Senior Night post in a couple of weeks. After going to 50 of them, I can't imagine a greater more emotional evening of basketball for a sold out Ryan center. Go Rhody!
That is it. "Trust me, you will regret not going (if you can)."

This is history in the making. It really is.
The start time may be an issue for some, but or the vast majority of URI Graduates, Students, Fans it is just different, that's all. It's TV.

But to the point, history is being made right before us. We are going for our 16th straight win. It's not on the road, it is right here at HOME.

I can't think of anything more exciting to do on Tuesday night or any night.

I still think it will be filled regardless of what the ticket dots in the computer are saying.

But my god people, this is huge, history in the making at the University of Rhode Island. It just doesn't get any better than this
3 x