2/9 | Davidson Wildcats | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Re: 2/9 | Davidson Wildcats | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

rhodyruckus wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rhodyruckus wrote:
While it was awesome, #22 is going into his move like Eric Montross practicing a post move with no one else in the gym! What is that guy thinking? :lol: :lol:
Just love the energy that Cyril brings...he plays D below the foul line, the same way the guards do full court and on the perimeter...GREAT stuff...
Just the fact Cyril hustled so far and was in position just in case the guy took awhile or fumbled the pass is great.

That Block reminded me of a Kenny Green type play. Seems to me that Cyril is getting healthier because the spring in his legs is through the roof compared to earlier in the season.

Also, love the dog comment by Dan. The Eagles took on the dog role and look how that worked out. By the way, this sports week for me has been outstanding. Please don't wake me.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

URI'21 wrote:Student section chanted "Rusty" repeatably for the sole reason of making fun of his name... Are we assholes? Maybe...
I admit I laughed, but I also felt bad for the kid.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Great interview and highlights thanks for posting! The whole thing with Cyril was his health by the sounds of it. He was a beast last night for sure. Wanted to see that dunk at figure out why he got the T. Didn't look too blatant but a good lesson for him to learn. Fatt's passes in the first half were sweet! Got to see them again too. So pumped for this team. Definitely will be up past my bedtime on Tuesday!
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We passed the eye test last night. Dunk City.
2 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Davidson message board had a pretty good summary from a fan who seems to have good perspective:
https://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?p=353764#353764
Davidson didn’t simply have a bad shooting night. Rhode Island’s defense kept Davidson from taking the shots they wanted. The threes were contested or rushed to beat the contest. Peyton was unable to get to his spots (by which I mean the places where he has shown—over the course of his career—that he can score even while being defended) and ended up forcing tough shots from 2–3 feet away. Outside of Peyton and Grady, no one on the team is a good one-on-one player with the ability to punish aggressive defense. And Rhode Island’s ball pressure kept Davidson from running its offense to generate the looks they get against teams who play a different style of defense. JAG and KP didn’t have bad games, they were just shut down.

Unfortunately, none of this was surprising. The team played hard and didn’t make many dumb mistakes (though the inability to get loose balls and rebounds may undermine that claim). The team played better than it did either time against Richmond (which also plays a style of defense that disrupts davidson’s offensive system)—Rhode Island is just better.

And I thought Davidson’s defense was ok. Rhode Island didn’t get great looks, though they did seem to hit their decent looks at a high rate. What killed Davidson was the fact that Rhode Island got so many rebounds and loose balls, which gave them second and third looks.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:This game is the one I worry about the most. If they drain 3s early and shoot them at the clip they have been, I don’t see how we keep up, as we are not a 3pt shooting team. If our defense somehow stifles them and spreads them out just far enough out to lower their percentage points and we capitalize on those misses, we should be okay. I honestly believe we will split the series with them.
thing is, we always give Davidson fits on defense and have held them well below their average scoring every time:

2014-15: averaged 79ppg, held to 60 (-19)
2015-16: averaged 79ppg, held to 65 (-14)
2016-17: averaged 73ppg, held to...59 (-14), 70 (-3), 60 (-13)

On average Davidson scores 12.6 points below their average against us.

They do not match up well against athletic, man defense. They cant get their shooters free.
The streak lives.

averaging 76 ppg, held to 59 (-17)
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeteRI wrote:What a fantastic game. The outcome was never in doubt and we looked like the Patriots against the Bills. And I agree with all others' observations:

- Our depth is ridonkulous. Batman & Batman combine for 14 points and we win by 13.
- 3 PGs in the game at the same time is incredibly fun to watch.
- Lagevine suddenly looks like an automatic double/double. Where did this guy come from?
- Defense. DEFENSE! DEFENSE!!!
- I now believe Dan when he says Fatts can lead the A-10 in scoring.
- How great is it to see our players and Coach interviewed on national TV?!
- Mama Hurley is a fox. :)

My nephews are NYC hoopheads and are now so impressed with us that they're laying down bets on my recommendations. Max won 2-fiddy last night.

And this recruiting news is exciting. But how early can a player commit? 10th grade?!?!
A kid can give a verbal any time he wants. But it doesn't mean anything. He can't sign the NLOI until he's a senior. With a kid like Clarke, eventually Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. will come calling. Maybe in 3 years from now, the fact that we've been on him so long and the Expressions connection can make a difference. A kid that good is a long shot for us, but who knows? If the program continues it's rise and Dan is still here in 3 years, I wouldn't be shocked if we got him. I'd be pleasantly surprised, but not shocked.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Victory. Victory. Victory.

Very exciting that Cyril is rounding into form and really playing like the player we all thought he would be this year. He takes these guys to another level.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Great highlight package from local media outlet ABC 6.

I did not find coverage from Channel 10 or usually supportive 12.

3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Public service announcement thread poach since this thread is getting the most eyes at the moment.

Just bought good seats in 306 for senior night.

Limited decent seats left in 204, 305 and 306.

Don’t know how any long time followers of Ram hoops can miss the send off for this historically special group.

Go get some tix forum friends.

Also talked to Hurley as he was walking in. Always polite and gracious. These are lucky times for us. Enjoy!

Poach off.
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

URI was just the first thing mentioned on College Gameday. Jay Williams opened up the show with his "you heard it here first" calling us "the best kept secret in college basketball" and stated that we will make a run in the tournament and said the name to remember is EC Matthews.
7 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Setting up the bar at work and looked up just in time to see Jay Bilas call URI the "hidden gem in America" for college basketball. The national pub has been awesome up here in Boston. We had multiple requests for the game to be put on our Tv's instead of the celtics last night as well.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Great highlight package from local media outlet ABC 6.

^ Love that shot of the guy in the white hat jumping out of his seat courtside in response to EC's dunk at about the :50 mark...
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I can't get enough of this run we’re on, and what a special season this has been so far. For all of us who have hung with this team through some tough stretches over the years, we are finally being rewarded, and the future looks as bright as it ever has for us. I don't want this season to end. Here's to keeping this streak alive and hoping we can make a deep tourney run this year. Go Rhody!!
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

adam914 wrote:Easy to forget how good of a shooter Jarvis was before he got hurt/sick a couple years back. So much fun to see him playing healthy again.

I have always been a big Jarvis fan too. Followed what Billy and great Rod had said right along. Also remember watching him at ND Prep. And let's not underestimate his unselfishness and ability to come off bench and acceptance of role when he certainly could have taken a negative stance. Part of what is so great about this team, is their camaraderie and togethenessr on the court and apparently also off the court. When describing a team as a "family", the word may be overused but fits perfectly for this group of young men. Jarvis interview was excellent. Focused , all business.Its been mentioned here often that is always seems to be someone different every game, the Robins. And the thing is that everyone else on the team seem to enjoy it when someone else steps up and has a big game. No jealousy or animosity at all, but true enjoyment. This team is focused and on a mission.

If this is the Jarvis we have the rest of the year and Cyril is back to what we thought he would be, this team can absolutely be a threat in the tourney to anyone. Great time to be a Ram fans, I guess almost 50 years of sticking to something pay dividends eventually .

If Jarvis was not derailed by health issues a good portion of his career, I wonder where he would be as a player right now.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I love Dan’s quote saying we have 8 starters.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ATPTourFan wrote:Great highlight package from local media outlet ABC 6.

Great report - thanks for posting! Love Coach Hurley's postgame comments as always. Also some excellent video you didn't see on ESPN2. Kudos to a local station to have their own cameras there. About time we get some coverage in our own friggin state!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:Setting up the bar at work and looked up just in time to see Jay Bilas call URI the "hidden gem in America" for college basketball. The national pub has been awesome up here in Boston. We had multiple requests for the game to be put on our Tv's instead of the celtics last night as well.
Awesome! (And to be honest URI looked a hell of a lot better than the C's last night.) :D
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

McGarrity the kid who got swatted by Cyril last night after his slow mo pivot for a layup is the same guy who Stan swatted last year at same end of court and in similar fashion (seemingly coming from out of nowhere). Dude must have Rhody nightmares.

What makes us dangerous is that we have 6-7 guys that can have big nights - and it seems like every night it’s a different few guys who step up.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We should have won by this game 20+ points ,if some uncharacteristic things din't happen- the Batmen were off, EC 0-6 on treys with a few airballs, Dowtin had four TO's and some bad passes, Stan Robinson didn't have any steals, and we din't get Davidson to turn the ball over more. Davidson won the steal battle 6-3 which was surprising given in all their losses, ex UNC, that had lost that battle. Credit the Davidson defense with causing some of this.

No question that in the match-up on their homecourt, Davidson will be better prepared. Also it is their Senior night. But we are the better team and with grit and the return of Batmen and Down's savvy, we can prevail like last year in that hostile environment. GO Rhody!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:Setting up the bar at work and looked up just in time to see Jay Bilas call URI the "hidden gem in America" for college basketball. The national pub has been awesome up here in Boston. We had multiple requests for the game to be put on our Tv's instead of the celtics last night as well.
What bar? Perhaps I can visit for one of the coming games?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obes, they let off the gas with about 6 minutes left in the game. I'm sure we could have run the score up if they wanted to.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Gotta play these cats again at least once maybe twice.

Made no sense to rub their nose in it.

Davidson is a class act anyway. A10 did good job to add that program.
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

steviep123 wrote:
I alternate back and forth between Caskn Flagon and Tavern in the Square across from north station. I'm usually at the tavern location during the winter.

If I see anyone come in with Rhody gear on I iintroduce myself immediately. All Keaney blue members are welcome.
Last edited by Micheal_Phelps_22 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
I alternate back and forth between Caskn Flagon and Tavern in the Square across from north station. I'm usually at the tavern location during the winter.

If I see anyone come in with Rhode gear on I iintroduce myself immediately. All Keaney blue members are welcome.
I haven't been to that Tavern yet. Will you be there for any of the following games?

Tues vs. Richmond
Fri at SBU
Tues 2/20 at LaSalle
Tues 2/27 vs. SJU
Fri 3/2 at Davidson

All of those games will be difficult for me to venture out due to my wife's work schedule and I'll probably have to stay home with the toddler. But if I can make it out, I will. Perhaps we can get a Boston area slow break club meeting.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

steviep123 wrote:
Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

If I see anyone come in with Rhode gear on I iintroduce myself immediately. All Keaney blue members are welcome.
I haven't been to that Tavern yet. Will you be there for any of the following games?

Tues vs. Richmond
Fri at SBU
Tues 2/20 at LaSalle
Tues 2/27 vs. SJU
Fri 3/2 at Davidson

All of those games will be difficult for me to venture out due to my wife's work schedule and I'll probably have to stay home with the toddler. But if I can make it out, I will. Perhaps we can get a Boston area slow break club meeting.

I will be at the Ryan Center for the remaining home games but I'll definitely be working Friday night for the st Bonaventure game. Would love to see some Rhody people in the building. Might even get cut early so I can watch the 2nd half with no distractions.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:
What makes us dangerous is that we have 6-7 guys that can have big nights - and it seems like every night it’s a different few guys who step up.
We have 8 players that can and have had big nights.
Jarvis has scored 17 twice this year.
Fatts had 20 vs PC
Cyril had 12 points & 18 rebounds vs VCU followed by 14 & 8 last night
Dre has scored 15 or more six times
Stan has scored 14 or more five times,leads the team in rebounds and steals
Jeff is top 3 in the country in Ast to turnover ratio, has has 6 or more assist in 13 games and scored in double figures 8 times
EC has started he is in double figures 12-15 in games he started with a high of 24. In games he has finished Rhody is 16-0
Jared is A10 POY, double figures 20-23, 20+ in 10 games, high of 32 vs S Hall, avg 17.5 ppg, 83% FT
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m making an effort to go.
1 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Our team is almost firing on all cylinders.....( can still improve which is scary )

Time to put some Flowmasters on this hot rod!

Woo Hoo we be a loud and dangerous bunch.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Just got texts from a couple people that Hubie Brown was talking Rhody during Warriors/Spurs on national ABC game tonight.

I'm just mainlining all of this right now.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

FWIW fellow Bostonians, our Alumni get together had 36+ people at the Davidson game watch party at Harry's Bar in Brighton with a ton of giveaways. We packed the bar. They've offered to be our Rhody bar in Boston through the entire tournament and play every televised game there. I would love to see my fellow Keaney Blue-rs there!

(I'm also the Boston Alumni Chapter leader.)
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sounds good and Harry's is a cool place, but my issue is it being in Brighton...might as well be on Mars. Not possible to find a place in the city?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh really ?? For those that heard what Hubie said about URI let us know
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:Just got texts from a couple people that Hubie Brown was talking Rhody during Warriors/Spurs on national ABC game tonight.

I'm just mainlining all of this right now.
When members on here have said that the university should move funding a football stadium to the top of the list of projects, I've pointed out, rightfully, that we have many more pressing needs with our academic facilities and a football stadium shouldn't be at the top of the list. I've also said before that a practice facility shouldn't be at the top of the priority list because the team should have access to hoops somewhere in the Tootell, Keaney, Mackal complex.

However, a practice facility for basketball and other enhancements Dan feels necessary are completely different and the university needs to use any and all funding streams to make this stuff happen. This coach and this program are providing the university a level of advertising that is impossible for us to duplicate otherwise. If we lose this coach, and what he's doing for us, over money we are being penny wise and pound foolish.

The practice facility is clearly something Dan values, so it is now imperative that we get this done. It must not be on the football stadium timeline either, where we draw up pretty plans and have no funding for 16+ years. This needs to be shovel ready practically now.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

TruePoint wrote:Sounds good and Harry's is a cool place, but my issue is it being in Brighton...might as well be on Mars. Not possible to find a place in the city?

Oof, downtown is tough for a lot of people. No parking (harry's has 2 hour all around), every bar is crazy packed on busy nights, and most importantly.... a lot of the sports bars get overly packed with competing interests. The great thing about Harry's is it's right across from the T stop, has parking, and has already promised us that if the Rams are on, we get some TVs. Plus, from the last game watch we have a ton of B/A resident fans. Who knew? There were at least a dozen of us who live in the area.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do any of you Boston guys know Carlton Smith? He was a very good player for URI in the mid-70s and is from Boston. I wonder if he is still in the area.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Do any of you Boston guys know Carlton Smith? He was a very good player for URI in the mid-70s and is from Boston. I wonder if he is still in the area.
Wasn't Smith a transfer from BC? I remember him well .... he was good.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Often find it interesting to read the opponent's message board

Here are a few I picked out from their 6 pages on the game. Overall they have very knowledgeable posters imho.

https://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

We were beaten pretty soundly by a good team at their place. However I do think we can beat them. I agree that we needed to block out better. RI was allowed to grab and bump, which disrupts our offense-maybe on a neutral floor the refs will call it. They shot it well-we didn't.

Let's not underestimate the power of their home court advantage. My one trip to their arena on a packed-out night was thrilling. Last night, A10Talk posted a picture on Twitter that showed a student section filled to the brim--40 minutes before the tip. Those guys are loud. Rhode Island beat us, but the home court fans were the icing on Rhody's cake.

Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to post a positive, Jared Terrell has a case for being the best defender in the conference, and he could not contain KG at all and was visibly upset after he tried to take it to Kellan late in the game but missed on a well-defended layup.

At the game there were a couple moves Grady made that had the Rhode Island fans around me claiming that he was the best player on the floor. It was really cool to see the respect they had for him.
It was also neat to chat with his dad briefly before the game. Really looking forward to seeing him in a Wildcat Jersey for the next few years.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Do any of you Boston guys know Carlton Smith? He was a very good player for URI in the mid-70s and is from Boston. I wonder if he is still in the area.
Wasn't Smith a transfer from BC? I remember him well .... he was good.
I don't remember if he was a transfer. He was already there when I got there. He played a couple of years with Jiggy and Stan but graduated right before Sly came.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Carlton arrived as a freshman in the fall of 72. Class of 76.
0 x
Wagssr
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Wagssr »

He was there with John Nelson and Irv Chatman on a team that should have beaten Duke and would have
gone to Boston for the next round. I still feel that
team was final four material (the field was 32
teams then).
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wagssr wrote:He was there with John Nelson and Irv Chatman on a team that should have beaten Duke and would have
teams then).
No, Carlton was gone by then. He graduated in '76. The Duke game was in '78.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Wagssr wrote:He was there with John Nelson and Irv Chatman on a team that should have beaten Duke and would have
teams then).
The 78 team that had Duke beat (sigh) included Sly, Jiggy Williamson, Stanley Wright, Irv Chatman, John Nelson. Big Randy Wilds and Percy Davis off the bench. But no Carlton Smith.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If this game was a horse race, Davidson lost to the field.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They have a stud though in Grady......he's good and will be really good......if they can bring in a couple more guys to complement him, they will be tough going forward.

Next season will be a real horse race....ha ha 72. Several contenders to win the conference.

As long as our recruiting class is as good as they seem, we will be right there.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Game replay

Last edited by rhodysurf 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ESPN really needs a new EC photo. They keep using that same one from like 3 years ago.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018