Jerry West Award

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jerry West Award

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211696023

Great for EC but I can't believe Terrell isn't on here.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
urirx
ARD

Re: Jerry West Award

Unread post by urirx »

He wasn't on the watch list so I don't think he can be a finalist?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Evidently the committee a) has never seen him play b) doesn't want two players from the same non-cartel team c) thinks Jared would be a lock for the Butkus Award.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

urirx wrote:He wasn't on the watch list so I don't think he can be a finalist?
There are 4 players (in red below) who are on the Final List of 10 who were not on the October 17, 2017 List of 20. So there were 14 Players from the Original List of 20 who did not make the Final 10

From the Original List release:
*Players can play their way onto and off of the list at any point in the 2017-18 season*

2018 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award Candidates Top 10 Remaining
Allozo Trier Arizona
Marcus Foster Creighton
Grayson Allen Duke
Rob Gray Houston
E.C. Matthews Rhode Island
Tyus Battle Syracuse
Chandler Hutchinson Boise State
Kendrick Nunn Oakland
Carsen Edwards Purdue
Fletcher Magee Wofford

On Original 20 List October 17, 2017 who did not make the Final 10
Mustapha Heron Auburn
Jerome Robinson Boston College
TJ Haws BYU
KeVaughn Allen Florida
MJ Walker Florida State
Malik Newman Kansas
Hamidou Diallo Kentucky
Lonnie Walker Miami
Quinndary Weatherspoon Mississippi St.
Khadeen Carrington Seton Hall
Shamorie Ponds St. John's
Andrew Jones Texas
De'Anthony Melton USC
Daxter Miles Jr. West Virginia

http://www.hoophall.com/news/twenty-can ... est-award/
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As much as I love EC, I think we all can now agree that Jared is the better player.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Great recognition for EC. Look at it this way, Jared won't be well scouted come tourney time. Let teams key in on EC and watch JT light them up.
I do think teams will slowly start game planning for Jeff Dowtin. His stats and impact on the game are becoming so substantial its only a matter of time before someone thinks that taking him out of the offense will hurt us. As of now I am quite certain most scouting reports key in on EC, Jared and Dre.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

bigappleram wrote:Great recognition for EC. Look at it this way, Jared won't be well scouted come tourney time. Let teams key in on EC and watch JT light them up.
I do think teams will slowly start game planning for Jeff Dowtin. His stats and impact on the game are becoming so substantial its only a matter of time before someone thinks that taking him out of the offense will hurt us. As of now I am quite certain most scouting reports key in on EC, Jared and Dre.
I think any coach/scout that watches any amount of film will recognize what Jared can do. He's not sneaking up on anyone
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

More details regarding dates in gorhody......

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017 ... 0206eqpfla
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Great recognition for EC. Look at it this way, Jared won't be well scouted come tourney time. Let teams key in on EC and watch JT light them up.
I think any coach/scout that watches any amount of film will recognize what Jared can do. He's not sneaking up on anyone
Was being facetious there, agree he isn't. Though his reputation is still lagging behind his performance IMO. That will grow come March.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Supposedly, the NBA scouts are taking notice with Jared.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m surprised the NFL isn’t interested as well. He’s built like a linebacker.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:I’m surprised the NFL isn’t interested as well. He’s built like a linebacker.
And he's been that way since high school.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Great recognition for the program...can't quibble with it at all
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody74 wrote:I’m surprised the NFL isn’t interested as well. He’s built like a linebacker.
I didn't know this before but didn't they say during the VCU broadcast that Jared was recruited by BC to play cornerback?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyKyle wrote:
I didn't know this before but didn't they say during the VCU broadcast that Jared was recruited by BC to play cornerback?
Yes, I thought I heard them say that too.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Quite frankly, I'd put Terrell no worse than third behind Trier and Foster on that list. The fact that Grayson Allen is on the list automatically discredits it. He's regressed from his sophomore year. Tyus Battle is nothing but a scorer. Carsen Edwards might be the next best candidate.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Great call Snoop, Terrell and Foster are almost identical players - both in athleticism as well as their games. Very similar. Trier may be just a notch above. Grayson gets the Duke benefit. THe Purdue kid can fill it.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I think you're right about Allen getting a break because he's on Duke, but there are two ACC players on the list, and neither of them are the best shooting guard in the conference. Kyle Guy of Virginia is having a much better year than either of them.

Hopefully, he and Terrell will make the final list of five.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Congrats EC. A player who deserves recognition and has earned. Overcoming a season ending injury and a broken hand his last year. Thrown in the fire as a freshman. Leader from day one.

Terrell is a tremendous player. Deserves to be on short lists. The either/or thing is bad form for this board. I hope Jared wins A10 POY.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Going to be a great stretch for URI Basketball!!
This

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Congrats EC. A player who deserves recognition and has earned. Overcoming a season ending injury and a broken hand his last year. Thrown in the fire as a freshman. Leader from day one.

Terrell is a tremendous player. Deserves to be on short lists. The either/or thing is bad form for this board. I hope Jared wins A10 POY.

I agree with this. They're both great players but have completely different styles of play. And we need them both if we are going to make a deep NCAA run.
3 x