Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2017-18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2017-18

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I love when picture of Rhody is the link to a national article (exposure).
https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/basketbal ... ssion=true
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Those 4 voters should be ashamed of themselves

#22 AP feels great
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote:I love when picture of Rhody is the link to a national article (exposure).
https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/basketbal ... ssion=true
Love this, too:

Normally, this would mean possibly two Ls, since the rivalry road and a trip to Richmond can be daunting. Not this season. Not with this group.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Can't wait to hear how Li'l Kevie justifies dropping us one spot -- other than getting an extra treat from the Smith Hill kennel masters. Good boy, Li'l Kevie!
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:I figure we will stay or maybe jump to 22/23, but based on our schedule i can’t fathom seeing us go above 20 even winning out.

Someone said it, but other teams will have opportunities for big wins in conference. We won’t.
and those teams that have opportunities for big wins also have the same opportunities for losses. Sometimes they are even playing one another so someone has to lose.

Woe is us. The A10 stinks, Fordham stinks and brings the A10 down with it, Duquesne is one of the 3 worst teams we will play this year, we can never move up in the rankings playing A10 teams......................

Earlier you said our crappy A10 league would not allow us to get in the Top 25 even if we won out, and the Top 25 was not a URI team goal and that the players didn't care about the Top 25 and Top 25 wasn't important. Not only are we continuing to climb into the Top 25 but we are doing it against A10 teams. Players themselves have said they are excited about being ranked. We are moving up every week playing A10 Teams. Just was not true what many were saying.

We have gone from Ranked 45 after Alabama to Ranked 22 playing Iona, Charleston, FGSU and 9 A10 Teams. It makes no sense to say we cannot move up. Just win. The data proves it no matter how much people want to say we can't move up.

Look at the graph. Up every week since Alabama. Keep winning and it keeps going up - not rocket science.
Week 13 URI AP Ranking Trend.png
Statistics on AP Weekly Rankings Week 13.png
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

What would we have been if we had eeked out Virginia or Alabama? (very likely had we had EC/Cyril)
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody Guy wrote:What would we have been if we had eeked out Virginia or Alabama? (very likely had we had EC/Cyril)
I would say likely vs Bama, i would not say very likely vs UVA. Yes, played a great first half and then fatigue set in, but UVA's defense is unreal, it def would have been closer, maybe only a 3-6 pt lost, doesn't matter now but would have been different then the 15 pt loss
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:What would we have been if we had eeked out Virginia or Alabama? (very likely had we had EC/Cyril)
I would say likely vs Bama, i would not say very likely vs UVA. Yes, played a great first half and then fatigue set in, but UVA's defense is unreal, it def would have been closer, maybe only a 3-6 pt lost, doesn't matter now but would have been different then the 15 pt loss
E.C. would have made a huge difference against Virginia. Every time Jared caught the ball, he was looking at three defenders. With E.C., there would have been more floor space for everyone.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Not sure if you guys are aware of this tool, but liverpi.com offers an RPI wizard where you can change wins to losses to see what our expected RPI would be at the end of the season. Kind of cool to play around with 'what-if' scenarios.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Rhode%20Island.html
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think they were wondering what our AP Top 25 ranking would be if we beat Virginia, no?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Justns11
Lamar Odom

I think so too....just thought I'd throw it out there.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
E.C. would have made a huge difference against Virginia. Every time Jared caught the ball, he was looking at three defenders. With E.C., there would have been more floor space for everyone.
I never said he would not make a difference, I said the game would have been a lot closer, maybe a one possession loss. 15 pt loss vs 3 pt loss, yes i would say thats a big difference. i still think it might be a loss
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
I never said he would not make a difference, I said the game would have been a lot closer, maybe a one possession loss. 15 pt loss vs 3 pt loss, yes i would say thats a big difference. i still think it might be a loss
I think Rhody is better now. Maturing.

The issue right now is keeping their focus game-to-game/getting more out of Langevine.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
I think Rhody is better now. Maturing.

The issue right now is keeping their focus game-to-game/getting more out of Langevine.
I will agree with that, they are better now and a different team from early in the season. Langevine needs to be huge vs VCU and for the rest of the season at the defensive end and rebounding. A few buckets here n there is good, but we need him to be at 8-10 boards a night
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: I will agree with that, they are better now and a different team from early in the season. Langevine needs to be huge vs VCU and for the rest of the season at the defensive end and rebounding. A few buckets here n there is good, but we need him to be at 8-10 boards a night
The thing about Langevine though is that he is already averaging 5 rebounds per game in just 16 minutes. Double that to 30 mins and he is at the 10 boards per game mark which would put him in the top 20 in the nation in rebounding. I think if the playing time is there, the numbers will be there to. It just so happens right now that Berry is playing fantastic and is a much better offensive weapon and at times Langevine just can't stay out of foul trouble.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote: I will agree with that, they are better now and a different team from early in the season. Langevine needs to be huge vs VCU and for the rest of the season at the defensive end and rebounding. A few buckets here n there is good, but we need him to be at 8-10 boards a night
The thing about Langevine though is that he is already averaging 5 rebounds per game in just 16 minutes. Double that to 30 mins and he is at the 10 boards per game mark which would put him in the top 20 in the nation in rebounding. I think if the playing time is there, the numbers will be there to. It just so happens right now that Berry is playing fantastic and is a much better offensive weapon and at times Langevine just can't stay out of foul trouble.
Minutes have and can flucuate between Berry and Cyril depending on the opponent and how well our offense is performing. If we need offense, Berry will get the majority of the minutes. If we need defense down low, Cyril will get the majority. Neither will get near 30 minutes. Cyril needs to stay out of foul trouble so he can get near 20 minutes and up around 24 minutes in games we need his defense & rebounding.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Is there anybody in the country better than Dre at rolling to the basket??
Like he just gets so open! It's unreal.
It has a lot to do with our guards drawing attention, but he picks his spots as perfectly as anybody.
He also never puts the ball down low. Stays up high.
He's like a smaller Karnowski, but better around the basket.
I just love Andre Berry layups.
1 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

I agree Peter. I think it's a combination of practice, knowing when to roll, great hands and great passes. You can absolutely tell that these passes have been practiced over and over again by the players. Also, Andre does a good job of knowing when to roll and he has great hands...and I love that he keeps the ball up and finds what looks like an easy layup. Finally, the passes have been phenomenal. A few times a game I see these plays and my first reaction is that it's going to be a steal, but somehow the pass gets through and Andre fits in a layup. One of my favorite types of plays each game.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Minutes have and can flucuate between Berry and Cyril depending on the opponent and how well our offense is performing. If we need offense, Berry will get the majority of the minutes. If we need defense down low, Cyril will get the majority. Neither will get near 30 minutes. Cyril needs to stay out of foul trouble so he can get near 20 minutes and up around 24 minutes in games we need his defense & rebounding.
Yep, agree with you here. My point is mainly that Langevine has actually been very productive as a rebounder in the minutes he is getting.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Also works in Andre's favor that he is also an excellent pick and pop guy. opponents are always on their toes because he can roll or pop equally well.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Cyril should never, never, take more than one dribble....if he can't get a shot with one dribble he should immediately kick it to the perimeter....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Right now even one is too many. If he can’t go right up with it he should kick it out. Hopefully he can put it on the floor in the future when the game slows down for him on the offense of end.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

It seems like he is hell bent at getting up some shots when he gets the ball regardless of how it impacts the game.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea Cyril's development is big for this year. It is big for the program over the next two years.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea Cyril's development is big for this year. It is big for the program over the next two years.
he has certainly improved on defense. He has managed to really limit the fouling and stay on the floor. Offense needs work, but with him offense is gravy. Biggest thing on offense is he needs to slow down, he's over thinking instead of letting it happen and playing ball
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

Tonights game is the difference between being ranked 20/21 or being unranked again
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

KillSteenKill wrote:Tonights game is the difference between being ranked 20/21 or being unranked again
yeah, i'm guessing we jump two spots with a win tonight, GO RHODY!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The win tonight on the road in front of a national ESPN audience should not only keep Rhody in the polls another week but see them move up a bit. Take care of business at home next Friday versus Davidson and it will be four week run nationally ranked.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

My early guess is rhody moves to 18!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We will have our highest ever ranking come lunchtime, Monday.
5 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Yeah, I take back my #20 prediction. With a convincing win on a national tv audience we have to be 18 or 19 come Monday
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The last 5 weeks we have played 2 A10 Teams per week
We have moved up 6,3,3 and 2 spots each week with the latest due Monday

This week both games were on the road. UMASS and VCU. Both on National TV with VCU being on the ESPN Network

Will be interesting to see how many spots we move on Monday.
Top 25 February 2 Update.png
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

we should be top 20.

at a minimum we should pass UNC (3 straight Ls) and Wichita St. Plus any losses this weekend
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

What was our highest rank ever? Does anyone know?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:we should be top 20.

at a minimum we should pass UNC (3 straight Ls) and Wichita St. Plus any losses this weekend
Think about that..."should pass UNC"...whether it really happens or not, awesome conversation.
1 x
PARam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PARam »

After the elite eight season Rhody was 11 in the final AP poll
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DelroyIsMyHero wrote:What was our highest rank ever? Does anyone know?
According to college basketball reference it seems to be 20. They also don't seem to catalog season ending polls and someone below you said URI finished 97-98 at 11
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess we move to 18 or 19 !!!
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

PARam wrote:After the elite eight season Rhody was 11 in the final AP poll
Here is the final 1998 AP poll, and we are not listed. Did the final poll appear prior to the tourney? I don't know...

http://collegepollarchive.com/mbasketba ... nWpY9FOmhA

This page will allow you to see each week's poll from each season in which we were ranked. The page is set to the 1998 AP weekly polls...

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbask ... nWqKtFOmhB
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch looked this up earlier when asked... "Final" AP Poll is the one immediately before the start of the NCAA Tournament. I've not seen an AP Poll released after the NCAA Tournament. Can anyone produce one?

On that CollegePollArchive site, is has this note at the bottom of the page:
"Preseason polls started in the 1961-62 season, and there were post-tournament polls in 1953, 1954, 1974, and 1975."
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does anybody know what PC's highest ranking is with Cooley as coach?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Who cares? :) But I believe PC was up to 10-12 spot thebyear they beat Arizona in OOC tourney. Dunn’s last season
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

PC was ranked high the year Gomes led them to a 5 seed only to get spanked by Pacific. URI will be 20 this week, this game will not move the needle nationally as much as it should. I would love to see all 4 RI teams in the NCAA tourney but Bryant isn't going to qualify for the NE Conference Tourney. Desmond Cambridge dropped 29 in a tough loss at Penn last night tho.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Does anybody know what PC's highest ranking is with Cooley as coach?
PC was ranked #8 in the AP poll released on 1/4/16.
They spent 8 weeks that season in the Top 15 and 3 weeks in the Top 10.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

LiveRPI has us at 9 this morning.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

ATPTourFan wrote:Bill Koch looked this up earlier when asked... "Final" AP Poll is the one immediately before the start of the NCAA Tournament. I've not seen an AP Poll released after the NCAA Tournament. Can anyone produce one?

On that CollegePollArchive site, is has this note at the bottom of the page:
"Preseason polls started in the 1961-62 season, and there were post-tournament polls in 1953, 1954, 1974, and 1975."
I believe the USA Coaches poll does put out a post tournament ranking as its final poll. As far as PC overall, their highest ranking was #3 sometime in the Jimmy Walker years mid 60's. Their highest finish was #4 in the 73 poll. That would be the Barnes-DiGregorio-Stacom final four team. BTW, Rhody is #21 in this week's coaches poll....

I double checked. There is a final USA Today Coaches poll put out after the NCAA tourney. I check both polls each week, but most just pay attention to the AP poll....
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm not sure why we care what PC was ranked. How is it relevant? Let PC be PC and URI be URI.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123 wrote:I'm not sure why we care what PC was ranked. How is it relevant? Let PC be PC and URI be URI.
I just wanted to see how high Cooley got, so when we get higher with Dan, we can...well, you know...
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think the highest ranking depends on which poll you reference. I seem to remember them getting to the 10-15 range in a final poll one year after a NCAA run (either 1988 or 1998). I think one of the polls had a final ranking BEFORE the NCAA Tournament and the other may at one time had a final ranking AFTER.
0 x