2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI'21
Kenny Green

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by URI'21 »

HOW we win our games is important as well. Continuing to blow the doors off of teams looks significantly better than scraping by
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

With regards to the 4 or 5 seed scenario - either are preferable because you're looking at the same matchup in the second round. 4/13 plays winner of 5/12.

For a team in our position, that's our best chance to have an "easier" path to a sweet 16 birth.

4 seed would be nice to play in Boston in that game, but 5 seed probably puts us in the Midwest for an Omaha sweet 16 matchup.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

honestly 8 wkuld want a 5 seed over a 4 seed. 13 are overlooked conference champions, 12 seeds are play in game and bottom scrapping power teams
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

urirx wrote:honestly 8 wkuld want a 5 seed over a 4 seed. 13 are overlooked conference champions, 12 seeds are play in game and bottom scrapping power teams
Completely disagree. There have been 26 13 seed victories over 4 seeds in tournament history. 19%.

There have been 47 12 seed victories over 5 seeds in tournament history. 35%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... ent_upsets
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with that - small conference champions will not have the athleticism to match up with us.
Certain mid-level P5 teams will, and if they get hot that can pose a much bigger threat than Tennessee-Chattanoga, or say Iona :)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Seems like 12 seeds are upset special picks every tournament. I always take at least one 12, sometimes multiple.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Any chance we if we get a 4-6 seed we play anywhere in the northeast?

I mentioned a couple times i'm an Iona alum. So i was super pissed off course URI and IONA played in the same pod but in freaking Sacramento!

Would be awesome if we could get in that situation again somehow IE URI get a 6 and Iona gets 14, or 5 and 13. That Bracket has Iona as a 15, seems like an absurdly tough 15 as they have an RPI of 98 when i checked last night.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote:Agree w/Ramulous, even if we run table can’t see a 4.
5-8 is probably our window, due to the A10 struggles. I’d be just fine with 5-7.
As long as we stay out of the dreaded 8-9 game.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Blue Man wrote:With regards to the 4 or 5 seed scenario - either are preferable because you're looking at the same matchup in the second round. 4/13 plays winner of 5/12.

For a team in our position, that's our best chance to have an "easier" path to a sweet 16 birth.

4 seed would be nice to play in Boston in that game, but 5 seed probably puts us in the Midwest for an Omaha sweet 16 matchup.
There are no 1st & 2nd round games in Boston. Boston (TD Garden) is site of the Eastern Regional (sweet 16 & elite 8).

The 1st & 2nd round sites are: Pittsburgh, Wichita, Dallas, Boise,Charlotte, Detroit, Nashville & San Diego.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/futur ... ship-sites
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No Boise, No Wichita, No problems.
Nashville would be sweet. BBQ, music and Rhody hoops.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Broadway in Nashville will never be the same after being covered with Rhody Blue.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s a great town. That would be fun. A lot better than sacramento!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we play in San Diego I will be there , also if we are in the west regional semis they are in LA I will go to that too
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

As of today Jerry Palm has us as a 6 seed in the East playing SMU. Next up would be 3 seed Oklahoma and Trae Young.

Joey Brackets has us as a 7 seed in the south vs. Mizzou.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketologyByReg ... ion=4&wjb=

Joey bag of BS gots the Rams as a 7 seed vs Mizzou in Nashville.
1 x
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:As of today Jerry Palm has us as a 6 seed in the East playing SMU. Next up would be 3 seed Oklahoma and Trae Young.

Wishful thinking, but if that were to ever happen, IMHO that would be a recipe for the sweet 16, our guards were wear down and wreak havoc on trae young
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:As of today Jerry Palm has us as a 6 seed in the East playing SMU. Next up would be 3 seed Oklahoma and Trae Young.

Wishful thinking, but if that were to ever happen, IMHO that would be a recipe for the sweet 16, our guards were wear down and wreak havoc on trae young
Saying our guards would wreck havoc on the runaway player of the year who leads the country in points and assists?? Come on now...
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody a 7. Interesting ASU (6) vs PC (11). I am sure Dan would fill in Bobby! Go ASU

0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I'd rather play a guard heavy roster than a team with length. I think we setup much better against an Oklahoma compared to a Duke. I trust Hurley that no matter the matchup we'll have a plan.

Looking at it the other way, how will a team with length handle our quickness speed and ability to score with 6 different guards? Yes, a Kentucky type team would present matchup problems, but our maturity and veteran guard heavy team will present challenges to just about everyone - even Kentucky without a veteran floor general. If we're hitting shots we're hard to beat.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would love for URI to get a shot at Trae Young , DH would have a great plan for him
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just an FYI on 1st & 2nd round sites assigned for each Regional Bracket (East, West, Midwest & South). Four teams from each Regional Bracket go to the same 1st/2nd round site. So the 16 teams in a Regional Bracket go to 4 different 1st/2nd round sites. There are eight 1st/2nd round sites.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

How about Wichita State - losing two games last week and not really dropping much???
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

URIFIJI wrote:How about Wichita State - losing two games last week and not really dropping much???
They dropped 10 spots from #7 to #17, that's a pretty substantial drop for one week.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

wpbrown8267 wrote:

Maybe I am missing something here but what does Trae Young have to do with Missouri?
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:

Absolutely agree with this. I've watched several of Trea's games, and the team's success is 100% dependent on him. Jeff, Jarvis, & Fatts could take turns guarding him closely to try and wear him out. And double up on him as much as possible.

As I'm typing I realize that this is completely irrelevant....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I saw highlights of Trae last game and he was taking horrible shots
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Today's bracketville bracket

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

We're a 5 seed taking on New Mexico State in San Diego

Virginia is a 1 seed
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is a 7
Providence is an 8
Alabama is a 9
Florida Gulf Coast is a 16 and is in one of the play in games
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Central Falls would look like the Emerald City if we were playing in the NCAA there.

Just make sure the team hotel has a liquor license, and it'll be great.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So much to play for as it relates to seeding for URI. The goal has to be to get seeded in the East. Ideally a #4 seed but more likely a #5 seed if you guys can escape the rest of the season with no more than 2 losses (although it could be just 1 depending) to get that #5 seed. It looks like Nova is locking themselves into great position for the #1 in the East Regional. MSU AD the Chair.

It is very possible to see a best case scenario for URI come to fruition where it becomes:

Villanova

vs.

Rhode Island

Regional Semi-Final (BOSTON)

Man that would be an electric environment. Also such a great potential match-up.

Because this is a fun speculative type thread...would Rhody be able to get the big edge or home court advantage over Nova in Boston? It seems as the lower seeded team that would happen. Plus the location is huge.

Also is CL at full health 100% right now? If he stays out of foul trouble and can produce like against Oregon isn't this kid the wildcard going forward to stabilize the FC w/Berry.

Good Luck! Enjoy injury free!
4 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Wow, some folks are getting ahead of themselves.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I would suspect that most of the tickets in Boston have already been sold. The participating schools will all get the same allotment. It would probably be difficult and expensive to get tickets beyond the school's allotment.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SIAP, but ESPN's BPI page has a feature where they rank tournament resumes and slot teams according to seed. I hadn't seen it before, so in case anyone else missed it I thought I'd share. URI is currently a 5 seed by this metric, #19 ranked resume overall. This has not been updated through tonight's games as of this post.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... iew/resume
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:SIAP, but ESPN's BPI page has a feature where they rank tournament resumes and slot teams according to seed. I hadn't seen it before, so in case anyone else missed it I thought I'd share. URI is currently a 5 seed by this metric, #19 ranked resume overall. This has not been updated through tonight's games as of this post.

Interesting ..... we're at 17 this morning, the top-ranked 5 seed.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Wow, some folks are getting ahead of themselves.
These same folks will be calling us an NIT team if we lose at both UMASS and VCU next week.
3 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

eli#10 wrote:I would suspect that most of the tickets in Boston have already been sold. The participating schools will all get the same allotment. It would probably be difficult and expensive to get tickets beyond the school's allotment.
Stubhub has sweet 16 tickets at starting at $199 in Boston. I'd hope that if we are lucky enough to get there that many local fans would jump at that price seeing that the usual costs associated with watching your team play in the sweet 16 (hotel & flight) would be non existent.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

What was that Winston Wolf line from Pulp Fiction?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

From a bracketology perspective - PC is playing their way into being helpful for us. They sit at 32 in RPI, and if they can get to 30 by selection sunday, they would be a much needed quadrant 1 win.

It would suck to play in a western bracket 2 years in a row. GIVE ME THAT 4 SEED.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:From a bracketology perspective - PC is playing their way into being helpful for us. They sit at 32 in RPI, and if they can get to 30 by selection sunday, they would be a much needed quadrant 1 win.

It would suck to play in a western bracket 2 years in a row. GIVE ME THAT 4 SEED.
The four seeds play in San Diego or Boise for the first two rounds so even a four seed would send us out west.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Dan Hurley interview

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ awesome, thanks for posting
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:From a bracketology perspective - PC is playing their way into being helpful for us. They sit at 32 in RPI, and if they can get to 30 by selection sunday, they would be a much needed quadrant 1 win.

The four seeds play in San Diego or Boise for the first two rounds so even a four seed would send us out west.
Lunardi has us as a 7 in Detroit the 1st weekend. Detroit is an easy trip and lets EC play to a home crowd
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

TruePoint wrote:SIAP, but ESPN's BPI page has a feature where they rank tournament resumes and slot teams according to seed. I hadn't seen it before, so in case anyone else missed it I thought I'd share. URI is currently a 5 seed by this metric, #19 ranked resume overall. This has not been updated through tonight's games as of this post.

If Bucknell ends up as a 15 seed that could be danger time for a 2 seed. Basically they just got full strength a few games ago.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:

Four seeds are given preferential treatment and play in a bracket closest to home. If we were a 4 seed we wouldn't be out west.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote:

Four seeds are given preferential treatment and play in a bracket closest to home. If we were a 4 seed we wouldn't be out west.
So that appears to be Pittsburgh? Too bad Providence or Hartford didn't host this year. I'd still love to be sent to Boston for the regionals but I wonder if the committee would send us there knowing that it would give the other higher seeds a decent home court disadvantage. I remember Syracuse not having to leave the state of NY during their 03 championship run and I think they were a #3 or #4 seed that year.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jmck wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote: The four seeds play in San Diego or Boise for the first two rounds so even a four seed would send us out west.
So that appears to be Pittsburgh? Too bad Providence or Hartford didn't host this year. I'd still love to be sent to Boston for the regionals but I wonder if the committee would send us there knowing that it would give the other higher seeds a decent home court disadvantage. I remember Syracuse not having to leave the state of NY during their 03 championship run and I think they were a #3 or #4 seed that year.
Preferential seeding refers to the base of the regional final - this year it's Boston for the East. First round games for the 4 seed would take place in Nashville.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... rojections

...if you check out the projections tab, they have Rhody as #12...does that translate to a 3 seed?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote:

I'm going by ESPN's bracketology which has all 4 seeds in Boise or San Diego, I'd be willing to bet they're correct.

Also preferential treatment is really only guaranteed for 1 seeds. Even if we're a four seed we're not a lock for the east regional.

Edit: I’m wrong about the location.
Last edited by josephski 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Blue Man wrote:
jmck wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Preferential seeding refers to the base of the regional final - this year it's Boston for the East. First round games for the 4 seed would take place in Nashville.
I believe the first two rounds have no relation to the regionals. I know it used to be the way you describe it in which teams from say Nashville and Pittsburgh would be set up to meet in the East Regional in Boston but they changed that a few years ago. For instance Duke and UVA are pretty much guaranteed to be in Charlotte for the first two rounds but Duke could go out west as a #1 and UVA could go to the South Regional as a #1
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote:

That's not necessarily true, the top 16 teams are all going to be split among the 8 locations.
If you look at the top 12 seeds right now, they are Villanova, Purdue, Duke, Virginia, Kansas, Xavier, UNC, WVU, Oklahoma, Clemson, Michigan St., and Auburn (as per Bracket Matrix).
None of those schools it would make sense to put in a regional in Boise or San Diego St, and the higher the seed, the better the treatment you will get.
If I had to quick select locations for those 12 schools as of this moment ...
1) Villanova - Pittsburgh
1) Purdue - Detroit
1) Duke - Charlotte
1) Virginia - Charlotte
2) Kansas - Wichita
2) Xavier - Pittsburgh
2) UNC - Nashville
2) West Virginia - Nashville
3) Oklahoma - Dallas
3) Clemson - Dallas
3) Michigan St. - Detroit
3) Auburn - Wichita
IMHO, the 4 seeds would then split up between San Diego and Boise, which would then send the 5 seeds to Boise/San Diego as well.
Now if Arizona were to become a 3 seed, that would send them to San Diego, and likely open up a midwest location for the highest seeded 4 and subsequently probably a higher 5 on the seed line.
Regionals are not set up just by geography, but also include factors of strength. It makes it a little more complicated.
And looking at the bracketmatrix 6 seeds, I would then project Wichita St to Dallas to face Clemson, Kentucky to Dallas to face Oklahoma, TCU to Wichita to face Auburn, and URI to Detroit to face Michigan St. I don't see the committee putting Wichita in Wichita on their alternate home-court, and TCU can't face Oklahoma (conference), so that's how I came to Wichita in Dallas instead and TCU heading to Wichita.
1 x