Is a Practice Facility needed?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Is a Practice Facility needed?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
RI_Bred wrote:I would think that the implementation of a dedicated hoops facility at URI seems like a component that might keep a coaching staff around for a while longer, just sayin'...
......also heard in the public part of the presentation, today, among other items was the desire for and partnering with the private sector to design and build a campus hotel on upper college rd that would potentially include a sports bar/restaurant venue......the space between the current Foundation Offices all the way to and including Fine Arts area is up for growth and renovation.....
That just reminded me. When I went to the Bonnies game, I noticed some construction on Upper College Rd. What is going up there?
https://today.uri.edu/news/uri-begins-c ... me-center/

There are a few threads in Down the Line that discuss campus growth and renovation projects
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I hope this gets done within the next 3-4 years.
Much needed to keep getting top notch recruits.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Hotel is happening. Which holds the possibility of out of state fans staying for games close on campus as well as recruits.
1 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote:The Hotel is happening. Which holds the possibility of out of state fans staying for games close on campus as well as recruits.
No recruit is staying in the woods of Kingston over Newport.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just fantastic news about this practice facility!!
Stay here long term DH and build a lasting legacy ???
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

reef wrote:Just fantastic news about this practice facility!!
Stay here long term DH and build a lasting legacy ???
His Dad did...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......from the Narragansett Times, 2/23, Thorr interview by Colby Cotter......Thorr; “ Practice facility for men’s basketball-probably not a standalone, but maybe it’s taking West Gym and turning that into a facility for men’s and women’s basketball.”......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Practice Facility at PC

Unread post by RF1 »

University of Richmond set to build $15 million basketball training and performance facility
By JOHN O’CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch Feb 28, 2018

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... b3df4.html

The new facility, expected to cost $15 million, launches with a $7.5 million lead gift by Paul and Anne-Marie Queally, 1986 UR graduates.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

$15 million does not seem like a very heavy lift. URI should be able to come up with at least that. Not sure of Richmond's plans, but being able to convert existing space should also allow URI to save significant money compared to what some of these projects cost other schools.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......May I suggest that the two practice facility thread topics with similar content be merged into one......I hate our conversation regarding our pending facility with anything PC......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Thorr’s plan would not cost $15m and could be accomplished quickly

I expect we’ll hear the plan by end of April!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I would expect the initial one would be a "band-aid" type edit to Tootell West.

I would hope we have a road-map to a legitimate stand-alone facility commesurate with the level of program we aspire to be.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't get why only a detached structure can be legitimate and commensurate with the program aspires to be? It actually seems preferable to have the facility attached so that players and coaches can access the facility, the locker room, the arena and all other team areas (weight, training, film, etc., to the extent those things are not part of the new basketball-only facility) all without leaving the building.

It also seems like you could get more bang for your buck if you could save money on some of the construction costs associated with building a new facility to the extent you already have those things built (i.e., foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical, etc.). All of that costs money in labor, materials, permitting, paying an architect/engineer, etc., that could be used to put way better amenities and niceties into the facility.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I don’t care if it’s a stand alone or revamped totell just get it done! Don’t sit on the pot on this one! Move foreword and get it done!
Gotta keep Hurley!!!!
Plus a design was out for an updated Meade and URI sat on the pot..
Part of me thinks the Ryan center would still be a dream if a certain governor wasn’t in office.
So somehow some way I think URI can find at least 15 million and start the work.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:I don't get why only a detached structure can be legitimate and commensurate with the program aspires to be? It actually seems preferable to have the facility attached so that players and coaches can access the facility, the locker room, the arena and all other team areas (weight, training, film, etc., to the extent those things are not part of the new basketball-only facility) all without leaving the building.

It also seems like you could get more bang for your buck if you could save money on some of the construction costs associated with building a new facility to the extent you already have those things built (i.e., foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical, etc.). All of that costs money in labor, materials, permitting, paying an architect/engineer, etc., that could be used to put way better amenities and niceties into the facility.
I agree it'd be nice to have the facility attached but my fear is converting tootell will not be a basketball specific practice facility and will end up being for all D1 athletes with possibly other things going on there like intramural games. I could be completely wrong but I'd feel better knowing a standalone practice facility is being built rather than a potentially half assed practice facility in tootell.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

I remember the days when the team would practice in the Tootell West Gym (as seen in the first few seconds of this video). Facility-wise, we've come a long way as a program since then. That gym is currently being used for Intramurals, Campus Rec, and Indoor sports team workouts (Soccer, softball and baseball I believe). I wonder why the basketball teams have fully abandoned the use of this gym. The floor has dead spots for sure but that is really one of the only weaknesses to it. Why can't we just put the money into revamping that facility? It is barely used by students other than a few nights for intramural games. This should be where the "Practice Facility" should be built with some major restorations.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the re-purpose of the West Gym as the dedicated practice facility, in my opinion, would be more than a band aide approach and that I would expect that the anticipated renovations would be appropriate for the level of program we are building......I am pretty sure the sole use would be men’s/women’s basketball and part of the re-purpose is to relocate any other current use elsewhere......I also think it is wise to keep this facility close to the other aspects of the program in the RC......the funding reality is that maybe this can be done from existing University fund balance.....this facility will be way more than taping on sign on a door saying “intramurals cancelled tonite for men’s basketball practice”
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is a thread on the ALL OTHER COLLEGE SPORTS forum here which shows what many other peer schools have done.

Basketball Practice Facilities Review
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5269
0 x