Is a Practice Facility needed?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Is a Practice Facility needed?

Unread post by theblueram »

Seems DH might think it is. His comment to Bill Koch said it is difficult without a practice facility.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Is a Practice Facility needed?

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely!!!!
Rutgers is spending $118 million on practice facilities now
VCU has
UCONN has
UMASS has
PC is building
It is a must to keep up with the types of Programs that we want to be included with
Plans should be in motion/in development, talk should be starting, Alumni should be made aware of the idea, fundraising plans should be in the discussion phases.
If Hurley says it is needed then that is all I need to hear. Although I have been for the Practice Facility for some time now.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think there are some plans at least in the concept stage at this point.....not a stand alone facility but some kind of renovation to Tootell?

A few million to upgrade existing space makes sense, not 25 mil or so for a separate building. I don't see the latter happening.....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....needed to keep up I guess so.......I thought the Big News Forthcoming thread was to announce movement in this direction.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I have been consistent on this issue from the beginning - a practice facility is a key ingredient in a top program. And frankly what I think is irrelevant because what counts is what Coach Hurley thinks, what the players think and most important what the parade of recruits think.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I am curious to hear more about why they can’t practice at the Ryan center. Like what else goes on there? Other than graduations and job fairs I thought they had it to themselves?

Not being negative, actually curious haha
Last edited by rhodysurf 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, we have a near sellout against St Bonaventure Saturday morning. We aren't even in the Top 25. This is rolling along. I would hate to see this momentum stop. Again.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea it’s 100% necessary now. Teams outside of P5 conferences are building them, we need to follow suit, just like the media center.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......money money money......seat licenses, paid parking.......bring it all......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

section(105) wrote:.......money money money......seat licenses, paid parking.......bring it all......

I hope this is sarcastic. Two tactics guaranteed to shrink attendance and alienate both new and existing fans. There are many other ways to get coin for practice facilities (which I agree are very necessary). No need to squeeze a burgeoning fanbase.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yes.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Is it too late to invite the Governor and other State House "leaders" to the game? Let them see first hand what the Ryan Center is like for a big game with a near sold out arena. This could be a positive move in an attempt to get more money from the State for the school.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

I really don't mean to be naïve.. but how would you describe a practice facility to a state legislator who has to approve a bond vote or appropriation for it? I have spent a fair amount of time advocating for various legislative changes, and if you can't put in terms they understand, that overcome what their prior beliefs are, there is little amount of neutral facts that can change their mind. how do you say this multi million dollar facility is for more than extra court space 30 students.*

* I know this is not what it is, but I can't wrap words around how I would create the 1 page leave behind that some dumbass doesn't summarize this way
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would hate for DH to leave because we fail to build a practice facility
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
section(105) wrote:.......money money money......seat licenses, paid parking.......bring it all......

I hope this is sarcastic. Two tactics guaranteed to shrink attendance and alienate both new and existing fans. There are many other ways to get coin for practice facilities (which I agree are very necessary). No need to squeeze a burgeoning fanbase.
Agree. We are filling the place with $10 “be a student again” deals and 4 tickets, 4 cokes and 4 popcorns for $60. The number of fans lost due to parking fees will be significant. Just raise the ticket prices if you want to charge for parking - it’s the same thing. Plus you will have to have entrances to parking, secure the lots, have people out there collecting the money................
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Look at the drop off when head coaches left VCU for LSU and left Dayton for Indiana. If DH wants and needs a practice facility I’m developing plans for what he says he needs.
If he leaves in April I would not expect all 4 incoming recruits to honor their commitments.
This is too much fun.
And one day we will need to upgrade anyway so no need waiting to do what Rutgers, VCU, UCONN, PC and others have already done.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Puck Frovidence wrote:

......yes, yes it was......but I would have to think these are options that have been considered and then rejected......looking to get state partial or full funding via the GA is probably not gonna happen in the current state of affairs.....my guess is that there is much unfinished business at higher facility priorities in the outdated URI Kingston Campus Master Plan......a major private fund raising campaign with a high profile sugar daddy would seem more realistic.......which is why I thought the Big News topic/tease would maybe that announcement......a grandiose facility like the GTown one that someone posted here seems out of reach.......renovating existing space in the current athletic facilities seems more realistic at this time.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:
Puck Frovidence wrote:

......yes, yes it was......but I would have to think these are options that have been considered and then rejected......looking to get state partial or full funding via the GA is probably not gonna happen in the current state of affairs.....my guess is that there is much unfinished business at higher facility priorities in the outdated URI Kingston Campus Master Plan......a major private fund raising campaign with a high profile sugar daddy would seem more realistic.......which is why I thought the Big News topic/tease would maybe that announcement......a grandiose facility like the GTown one that someone posted here seems out of reach.......renovating existing space in the current athletic facilities seems more realistic at this time.......
The situation wasn’t much different today than it was when the plans for the Ryan Center were hatched. General Assembly was the same, lack of money was the same, people saying we couldn’t afford it was the same, not everyone was in favor of the Ryan Center.
What is the same now as then is we had Jim Harrick and team putting URI Basketball on the National Screen, now thankfully Hurley is doing the same.
Harrick recruited Top 100 players, Baron never did and now Nurley is recruiting strong players again. You must recruit strong to keep at the top of your league consistently.
So listen to Hurley. He wants what is best for URI Basketball. Do what he says, follow his advice. Lord knows the guy knows what he is talking about.

Many schools have taken parts of their current facilities and upgraded into practice facility plans, but still it cost plenty of money.

Just get the ball rolling, start the discussions, help Dan Hurley build this program towards a Gonzaga type level.

Once he goes, he goes. And recruits will make their decisions as to whether to stay or go. Look at Dayton and VCU reeling from coaching changes last year. Bobby had currrent players and recruits follow him to ASU.

Thor and Dooley Ned to keep this ball that we have rolling so wonderfully well right now moving, seize the opportunity.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The economy was significantly better in the late 90's then it was now for the vast majority of people.

Also, Dayton was going to be in rough shape this year no matter if there was a coaching change or not with who they were graduating.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

VCU isn't really that far away from contending again.....they could even end up 2nd in conference.....our game at their place might be our toughest the rest of the way.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right Rambone, VCU will be back and I would not be surprised if they end up in the top 2 or 3 in the conference this year. Plus VCU has over 100 straight sellouts no matter who they play. My point though is that whenever a Coaching change takes place there is an adjustment period that is typically not good.

Current Players transfer - and sometimes follow the Coach as in Bobby Hurley’s case at ASU from Buffalo
Current Incoming recruits reopen their recruiting
Recruits who were considering the school change their minds.
Dayton will be back. But they did not have a good incoming recruiting class due to the Coaching change.

Just follow Hurley’s advice is my point.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The economy was significantly better in the late 90's then it was now for the vast majority of people.

Also, Dayton was going to be in rough shape this year no matter if there was a coaching change or not with who they were graduating.
Economy now is booming. Stock Market 26,000 and continuing to climb
Building construction is booming
Job market is crazy and is as strong as it’s been in a long time

The Coaching change at Dayton hurt recruiting this year as it does with most all Coaching changes. Dayton will recipovr but I still think Dayton missed out not grabbing Keith Dambrot.

But hopefully we don’t have to deal with a Coaching search, or recruits changing their minds, or transfers.....just keep the HC we have, build a Practice Facility if that is what he recommends. Create plans and follow them. This is not URI Football. The opportunity is right in front of us. It’s not Jim Baron 2.0 of a year ago either.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:Seems DH might think it is. His comment to Bill Koch said it is difficult without a practice facility.

It’s his way of making the case. As someone said, it’s a “shot across the bow”.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A new practice facility is obviously not coming anytime real soon. However, if URI, wants to compete at a high level in D1, it will have to eventually build one as many others have done. It was the same situation with Keaney and the Ryan Center some 20 years ago. There is no reason the planning process cannot at least start now for a practice facility sometime down the road. Initiate some fundraising as it will be needed since the state will likely not contribute.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote:A new practice facility is obviously not coming anytime real soon. However, if URI, wants to compete at a high level in D1, it will have to eventually build one as many others have done. It was the same situation with Keaney and the Ryan Center some 20 years ago. There is no reason the planning process cannot at least start now for a practice facility sometime down the road. Initiate some fundraising as it will be needed since the state will likely not contribute.
Yes, but would like to think this facility launch is sooner than later......also would like to think that within the Athletic Department Master Plan for facilities and programs, the men’s/women’s dedicated hoops practice facility is a pretty high priority with men’s basketball being the flagship program in both profile and revenue..... no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:
RF1 wrote:A new practice facility is obviously not coming anytime real soon. However, if URI, wants to compete at a high level in D1, it will have to eventually build one as many others have done. It was the same situation with Keaney and the Ryan Center some 20 years ago. There is no reason the planning process cannot at least start now for a practice facility sometime down the road. Initiate some fundraising as it will be needed since the state will likely not contribute.
Yes, but would like to think this facility launch is sooner than later......also would like to think that within the Athletic Department Master Plan for facilities and programs, the men’s/women’s dedicated hoops practice facility is a pretty high priority with men’s basketball being the flagship program in both profile and revenue..... no?
I would hope so. And if it is not , maybe that is the reason for Dan dropping hints.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Announce a campaign off of an Elite 8 run this summer.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote:
It is most certainly on the radar in athletics.

What level it goes to (i.e. re-purposing an existing space to basketball-only or building a new facility) will depend on the funding they get.

As for the state, I feel like I've written a billion times about it, but everyone; from the Governor who didn't even show up to graduation one year, down through the House, and all the way to the RIBGHE, is a shameful representation of how a state legislature should handle their secondary education - as well as their flagship university.

I trust the voters of this state more than I do the legislature, but a bond would need to make it to the ballot first.

We would need another elite 8 run (or further he said while clutching his chest) to garner that kind of favor again.

If the damn Pawsox are in the mix somehow to get a stadium, a big run by a team that is actually directly related to the state, that could actually help the state's flagship institution bring in future revenue, could get on the ballot if they are a national story by themselves for a week in March.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
section(105) wrote:
It is most certainly on the radar in athletics.

What level it goes to (i.e. re-purposing an existing space to basketball-only or building a new facility) will depend on the funding they get.

As for the state, I feel like I've written a billion times about it, but everyone; from the Governor who didn't even show up to graduation one year, down through the House, and all the way to the RIBGHE, is a shameful representation of how a state legislature should handle their secondary education - as well as their flagship university.

I trust the voters of this state more than I do the legislature, but a bond would need to make it to the ballot first.

We would need another elite 8 run (or further he said while clutching his chest) to garner that kind of favor again.

If the damn Pawsox are in the mix somehow to get a stadium, a big run by a team that is actually directly related to the state, that could actually help the state's flagship institution bring in future revenue, could get on the ballot if they are a national story by themselves for a week in March.
GREAT!
Go RHODY!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

If Dan wants it then we need it. If it's impacting our flexibility with a practice schedule then we need it. I'm sure there's a plan in place of some sort and Dan is using the media and the positives around the attendance as a way to start his campaign.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Here we go again.

The state is NEVER going to support funding of a practice facility to assist Rhody with beating friartown

Never!

We’re on our own. Be ready to open our wallets.

That said, if coach has even the slightest problem getting court time for this team AD better fix it now.

Rambone 78 Tootell Fix suggestion should already be under construction. Move the current activities there elsewhere.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There might be a way to have the state pay for it. I know the state allocated money for us to look at the pool facility in Tootell and see about renovation/replacement. We might be able to tuck it in as part of a large scale Tootell renovation and it would also look like it's benefiting the whole student body if it's done that way.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

hrstrat57 wrote:Here we go again.

The state is NEVER going to support funding of a practice facility to assist Rhody with beating friartown

Never!

We’re on our own. Be ready to open our wallets.

That said, if coach has even the slightest problem getting court time for this team AD better fix it now.

Rambone 78 Tootell Fix suggestion should already be under construction. Move the current activities there elsewhere.
Oh my God it's not about beating PC.

Correct, if someone went on the floor of the GA and said "DUhhhh we need to beat da Fryizz so give us dis practice facility money." This wouldn't go well.

However if someone who understands college basketball, athletics, and the positive impact and image it can have on an educational institution were to say something along the lines of:

Providing a first-class environment for students and student athletes, that is already afforded to a multitude of flagship state educational institutions around the country, is paramount to help highlight the positive qualities of the University of Rhode Island to an audience we have just begun to tap the surface of.

URI is in a unique position to be competing with the best of college basketball, and introducing URI's "think Big" brand to this nationwide audience for the first time in decades.

The importance of equipping the University of Rhode Island with the tools to engage with this audience cannot be understated, nor can any shortcuts be taken to keep them there.

Investing in the infrastructure at URI provides more than just a point of pride for alumni and fans alike, it puts URI on level playing field with the elite colleges in the United States for the very best and brightest of prospective students.

etc, etc. I'm half dumb so I'm sure anyone with more than 5 free minutes and a better degree than me can come up with something better.

All of that said, URI went to the Elite 8 and got a $65 million dollar bond passed to build the Ryan Center. That's just an entertainment venue.

If URI goes deep into March and keeps the cameras pointed on Kingston, provides millions in free press and free advertising for URI, and gets the whole state excited? That measure gets passed on the ballot no problem.
7 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Every word you say is true BlueMan in a normal reality. Can’t argue with a single bit of it. We’ve had four of these epic runs ( 46,78,88,98) and this has a chance to be the most sustained run in Ram history. One would think the B.B. program would get pretty much whatever it wants right now. Selling out your building in January with near zero students on campus is proof positive the success is sustainable.

Tell me your plan to sell this on Smith Hill. What exactly is the facility you want?

Give us a recent similar project at a comparable program and get the good ol boys to support funding.

I’m in.

Let’s go Rhody
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

UConn did it.

Storrs was more of a barnyard back in the day than Kingston was/is now. No reason a guy like Hurley can't transform our program and ultimately our campus. Just like Calhoun did then.

But it all starts with consistent winning. This season will be very telling.
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........update, just left an Alumni Association event in Sarasota, I spoke with Dr. Dooley......let’s just say this dedicated basketball facility IS in the pipeline.....re-purpose of existing space is the concept......formal announcement of this coming......it was also interesting to hear in his presentation today the seeing the Rhode Island jersey on national TV in March is important part of the national marketing of the University.......
11 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:........update, just left an Alumni Association event in Sarasota, I spoke with Dr. Dooley......let’s just say this dedicated basketball facility IS in the pipeline.....re-purpose of existing space is the concept......formal announcement of this coming......it was also interesting to hear in his presentation today the seeing the Rhode Island jersey on national TV in March is important part of the national marketing of the University.......
Good job asking the question 105!!

At the Alumni Event were they talking up today's game a lot?

Also was nice that the Women's team was on National TV the game before the MBB
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote:
section(105) wrote:........update, just left an Alumni Association event in Sarasota, I spoke with Dr. Dooley......let’s just say this dedicated basketball facility IS in the pipeline.....re-purpose of existing space is the concept......formal announcement of this coming......it was also interesting to hear in his presentation today the seeing the Rhode Island jersey on national TV in March is important part of the national marketing of the University.......

.......yes, there were a few references to the program and the game today....amazing thou that two full time FL residents/alum know little about men’s hoops, one didn’t know the Boss Arena nor the RC existed.......that is unfortunately is probably the norm for many out of state older Alums.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Really good to hear that this is already on their radar and in the works. Thanks for the update!
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:
ramster wrote:

.......yes, there were a few references to the program and the game today....amazing thou that two full time FL residents/alum know little about men’s hoops, one didn’t know the Boss Arena nor the RC existed.......that is unfortunately is probably the norm for many out of state older Alums.......
You should mention to them about URI going to Ft Myers next season for the FGCU game.
Glad to hear from President Dooley that plans are in the works for a dedicated Practice Facility. Did you happen to ask about when the formal announcement might be coming?
Great job.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Yes, there was reference to the Gulf Coast game coming in the fall, done via the SW FL Chapter leader.....did not press further with asking Dooley when more info was coming.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

105 thanks for the update. This is great news. What a day to be a Ram! Rhody Rhody Rhody!
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

section(105) wrote:.......Yes, there was reference to the Gulf Coast game coming in the fall, done via the SW FL Chapter leader.....did not press further with asking Dooley when more info was coming.....
Fort Myers is a great place to visit, so it may be worth making a trip south, see the game and spend a few days at the beach at nearby Sanibel Island.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Great stuff 105.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:You should mention to them about URI going to Ft Myers next season for the FGCU game.
Glad to hear from President Dooley that plans are in the works for a dedicated Practice Facility. Did you happen to ask about when the formal announcement might be coming?
Great job.
Just a small correction, the return game against FGCU should be in the 2019-2020 season, not next year
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I've spoken to President Dooley many times, and he is just a refreshing turn from prior Presidents. He get's the impact of sports on the bottom line of a school. So glad he is in charge of our school. He is Thinking Big!!!!!
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I would think that the implementation of a dedicated hoops facility at URI seems like a component that might keep a coaching staff around for a while longer, just sayin'...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote:I would think that the implementation of a dedicated hoops facility at URI seems like a component that might keep a coaching staff around for a while longer, just sayin'...
......also heard in the public part of the presentation, today, among other items was the desire for and partnering with the private sector to design and build a campus hotel on upper college rd that would potentially include a sports bar/restaurant venue......the space between the current Foundation Offices all the way to and including Fine Arts area is up for growth and renovation.....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote:
RI_Bred wrote:I would think that the implementation of a dedicated hoops facility at URI seems like a component that might keep a coaching staff around for a while longer, just sayin'...
......also heard in the public part of the presentation, today, among other items was the desire for and partnering with the private sector to design and build a campus hotel on upper college rd that would potentially include a sports bar/restaurant venue......the space between the current Foundation Offices all the way to and including Fine Arts area is up for growth and renovation.....
That just reminded me. When I went to the Bonnies game, I noticed some construction on Upper College Rd. What is going up there?
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Billyboy78 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
That just reminded me. When I went to the Bonnies game, I noticed some construction on Upper College Rd. What is going up there?
New visitor center with flex space.
1 x