'19 NY SG - James Bouknight (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'19 NY SG - James Bouknight (UConn)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

James Bouknight - SG
School: MacDuffie (MA)
Travel/AAU:

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 180

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 4 Stars, #91 in 2019

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Central Connecticut State
Coppin State
DePaul
Kansas State
Minnesota
Rider
Siena
St. Louis
Stony Brook
Temple
UConn

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ght-209012
https://247sports.com/player/james-bouknight-46047993
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/james-bouknight
https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... night-2019
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 5 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '18 NY SG - James Bouknight (Offer)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

St. Louis offer
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '18 NY SG - James Bouknight (Offer)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Reclassified to '19.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 NY SG - James Bouknight (Offer)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since I saw him play last I figured I'd find some film on him. Very athletic guard. Speed, quickness, jumping ability. Handles well, very good shooter. I think he's under recruited at this point. I'm interested.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow this kid looks athletic!!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bouknight is now at MacDuffie Schhol. Going to see him and Dana Tate tonight in Hoophall Classic.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody83 wrote:Bouknight is now at MacDuffie Schhol. Going to see him and Dana Tate tonight in Hoophall Classic.
Welllllll?????
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

MacDuffie played Montverde Academy’s second team. Montverde’s top team had 5 top recruits (committed to P5s).
The game was competitive. Bouknight seemed young. He wasn’t very aggressive. He either score 0 or 2 points in the first half. He scored 8 points for the game. He was the 2nd/3rd best player on the team. He seems to have talent. His shooting motion looked really smooth.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:MacDuffie played Montverde Academy’s second team. Montverde’s top team had 5 top recruits (committed to P5s).
The game was competitive. Bouknight seemed young. He wasn’t very aggressive. He either score 0 or 2 points in the first half. He scored 8 points for the game. He was the 2nd/3rd best player on the team. He seems to have talent. His shooting motion looked really smooth.
I saw MacDuffie this year. Bouknight didn't look athletic (physical appearance), but then he starts doing crazy dunks. He's a very good athlete. Not sure he'd play much here. Although he's got plenty of time to improve. What about Massoud? I love his game. Very long guard, good shooter, good passer. How did he look?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:MacDuffie played Montverde Academy’s second team. Montverde’s top team had 5 top recruits (committed to P5s).
I saw MacDuffie this year. Bouknight didn't look athletic (physical appearance), but then he starts doing crazy dunks. He's a very good athlete. Not sure he'd play much here. Although he's got plenty of time to improve. What about Massoud? I love his game. Very long guard, good shooter, good passer. How did he look?
Massoud was 2nd best player for MacDuffie but there was a big gap between him and Dana. He had 9 points going 3-3 on threes but not much else. I didn’t think he could play at URI.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Massoud was 2nd best player for MacDuffie but there was a big gap between him and Dana. He had 9 points going 3-3 on threes but not much else. I didn’t think he could play at URI.
He might have had a bad game. There's a thread of him here. Check out the video.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

New video. Kind of low resolution, so it looks rough if you blow it up.
Athletic player. Good size. He'd be a nice get.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Love the dunk with the rim grab and feet up to backboard level...
I had to stop doing that after I banged my ankle on the rim that time....
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Love the shot blocking from the guard spot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That a fight Dan will win IMO
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will he be their version of EC ??? The first big recruit to get DH started
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bouknight’s comments about Dan recruiting him at URI and staying with him even when he was injured makes me think that he would’ve ended up at Rhody. Two thoughts - Dan has told him he will play immediately which is recruiting over Adams three months after convincing Adams to come. Would you rather have Bishop over Bouknight? I saw Bouknight play in January for MacDuffie with Dana. He didn’t show much. Dana was the best player by far. Bouknight has looked good recently. Bouknight is currently ranked #94 and Bishop is #82. I like Bishop overall. Bouknight is a better shooter.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote:Bouknight’s comments about Dan recruiting him at URI and staying with him even when he was injured makes me think that he would’ve ended up at Rhody. Two thoughts - Dan has told him he will play immediately which is recruiting over Adams three months after convincing Adams to come. Would you rather have Bishop over Bouknight? I saw Bouknight play in January for MacDuffie with Dana. He didn’t show much. Dana was the best player by far. Bouknight has looked good recently. Bouknight is currently ranked #94 and Bishop is #82. I like Bishop overall. Bouknight is a better shooter.
We already knew Adams was getting stuffed on the bench there.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think Adams and his mother knew.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Of course, he can do this too
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So can Fatts, and he's 5'8.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '19 NY SG - James Bouknight (UConn)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Too much to drink perhaps?

By running away maybe he avoided a DUI, which would have been worse.

Bad enough as it is.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ran because he doesn’t have a drivers license. They followed him to a dorm and he admitted to everything. No DUI.
My guess is he will be suspended for their Exhibition game. That’s what happened to Jalen Adams 2 years ago.
https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... rc=nhrhpcp
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago My guess is he will be suspended for their Exhibition game. That’s what happened to Jalen Adams 2 years ago.
I would think it's in Hurley's best interest to make a little bit of an example of him, like the "No player is bigger than the team thing." UCONN is still in a rebuild and he needs to assert his control. That said, do I think Bouknight misses any important games? No. Suspend him for the exhibtion, and the first two regular season games against Sacred Heart and St. Joseph's. UCONN should win each game running away, and then Bouknight comes back for #6 Florida. That's what I would do if I were Hurley, but who am I?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago My guess is he will be suspended for their Exhibition game. That’s what happened to Jalen Adams 2 years ago.
I would think it's in Hurley's best interest to make a little bit of an example of him, like the "No player is bigger than the team thing." UCONN is still in a rebuild and he needs to assert his control. That said, do I think Bouknight misses any important games? No. Suspend him for the exhibtion, and the first two regular season games against Sacred Heart and St. Joseph's. UCONN should win each game running away, and then Bouknight comes back for #6 Florida. That's what I would do if I were Hurley, but who am I?
Not going to happen. Not Dan’s MO at URI or UConn (Adams was “suspended” last year for the secret scrimmage). Nothing happened to Stan Robinson for his fight and issue with police at concert. Also not UConn’s history under Calhoun or Ollie. Booknight is Hurley’s most important recruit so far.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Borges article updates after Hurley weekly press conference today.

According to coach Dan Hurley, Bouknight has already faced in-house discipline, though he did participate in First Night festivities on Friday, including a few crowd-pleasing jams in the slam dunk contest. It hasn’t been determined what type of punishment the Brooklyn, N.Y. product might face once games begin.

“ He’s had to deal with coaches that are really, really down on him for several weeks now,” Hurley noted. “I’m already a tough guy to play for, so compound that with the choices he made that night, and it’s been extremely uncomfortable for him to be in and around the program. But what I’m not a big proponent of is isolating him, based on this situation. He’s been around, and we’ve been incredibly hard for him to deal with.”
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s an unfortunate situation him running from the scene but he is a young kid who made a mistake I am sure he will be disciplined and he will learn from it
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

All coaches have to deal with this stuff. Young kids, off on their own, maybe for first time, will make mistakes. Coaches have to be part time parents in their role. It's part of their job.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

As demanding as Dan is he is also a player’s coach and that’s why his kids swear by him. His punishment will be done behind closed doors not played out in the public.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Not going to happen. Not Dan’s MO at URI or UConn (Adams was “suspended” last year for the secret scrimmage). Nothing happened to Stan Robinson for his fight and issue with police at concert. Also not UConn’s history under Calhoun or Ollie. Booknight is Hurley’s most important recruit so far.
He was driving without a license, reckless driving, interfering with a police officer, and leaving the scene of an accident. I think that is far more severe than what happened to Robinson (especially since charges dropped) or Adams (academic issue). But that's just me. No way Bouknight misses a game against a good team, but I think missing 3 "layup" opponents would show a little bit of control.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

He was driving without a license, reckless driving, interfering with a police officer, and leaving the scene of an accident. I think that is far more severe than what happened to Robinson (especially since charges dropped) or Adams (academic issue). But that's just me. No way Bouknight misses a game against a good team, but I think missing 3 "layup" opponents would show a little bit of control.
FWIW, all of those are pretty light misdemeanors in Rhode Island, and it's not uncommon for all of them to be charged at once - If you're driving without a license, you might also be driving reckless in order to avoid an accident and a police officer. Departments will just charge you with all of them at once, but it's all stemming from one incident. Typical punishment for a first-time offender in RI would be six to 12 months probation, and/or a contribution to the Violent Crimes Indemnity Fund. (And also in RI - all of those charges are sometimes dismissed or dropped if you make a donation to a charity and avoid being arrested for something else for three to six months.)
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RJ, I am not sure you know what happened with Stan. More serious than you think. I am not going to bring up the details.

For Boukbught
1) He was speeding
2) He hit a street sign
3) He doesn’t have a license
4) He fled the sene

I will be shocked if he misses a regular season game.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Arrest Warrant: Bouknight smelled of alcohol when police stopped him.
https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 557251.php
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

A little late, but reading this story:

1) I've been on that road in Storrs and you'd have to really try to get up to an uncontrollable speed there. I mean it is Royce CIRCLE. Although the intoxication may have meant 15 miles per hour was an unsafe speed...

2) This is like a downtown/village area which I'm guessing police patrol most of the time. Perfect place to get busted. Second unwise/"clouded" decision.

3) These may be only campus cops and not an urban police force, but I've seen enough news stories that things could have gone a whole lot worse for a young person of color running from the scene. Fortunately he got a more lax officer who didn't start from the assumption that the suspect was armed and then attempt to disable him.

I am just glad this will be a learning experience and not a full on life changer for the young man.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Based on what we know, that seems like a fair punishment.

Not likely to cost them any games, though. He might be good, but he's a freshman.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow good call RJ u almost nailed the suspension it’s actually 3 games most thought he would get less

Good call by DH these young kids need to learn from their mistakes
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For those following this- Bouknight was accepted into an accelerated rehabilitation program for first-time offenders. Basically, he completes the program, pays the car’s owner for damages, and stays out of trouble for a year, and then the charges are dropped and his record’s cleared. He’s back for Thursday’s game against Buffalo.

ETA:
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Got some playing time tonight and looks like he will be a player
0 x