Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Bee311 wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:it would be great if they had beer from Whalers Brewing there, since its in town
Not sure about the pub but they had Whalers in the Alumni Lounge :)
Thrilled The RISE is in the Lounge for $5 and no line. There's a perk.

But I asked if it was also in the Pubs, and the server told me the Lounge is run by URI Catering Services, separate from general Ryan Center concessions.
Unfortunately no RISE in the pubs. Sam Adams and Harpoon was about as good as it got. Lines to get in, lines to get a drink. Good problem to have, I guess, but I think they need bigger rooms. The capacity, I think, is 130 and 104. That's not a lot when you have 6000-plus people in the RC.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will continue to wonder why we don't sell booze at all concessions and/or beer carts.

It's not an NCAA rule, NCAA doesn't control regular season games.

There is beer and wine available in 4 places in the Ryan Center.

This weird puritan moratorium on booze is now just making everything more difficult - longer lines, people missing game action, etc, etc.

People want to give this school money and we're just saying - nah. Let's half ass this and kind of do it but piss everyone off in the process. The current set up pisses off the drinkers for affecting their game experience, pisses off the people who believe alcohol is the devil, and everyone loses.

In the words of Ron Swanson: "never half ass two things, whole ass one thing."
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

HEAR HEAR
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote:I will continue to wonder why we don't sell booze at all concessions and/or beer carts.

This weird puritan moratorium on booze is now just making everything more difficult - longer lines, people missing game action, etc, etc.

People want to give this school money and we're just saying - nah. Let's half ass this and kind of do it but piss everyone off in the process. The current set up pisses off the drinkers for affecting their game experience, pisses off the people who believe alcohol is the devil, and everyone loses.

Blue Man truly gets it.....Can this please just be re-posted every 20 minutes until something happens?
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The other part of this I was thinking about as I was watching people file into their seats on Friday was that there has to be 200 people or so in the pubs before the games, if not more. I think it would be better for everyone if more people were in their seats prior to the game starting, for a variety of reasons. As things are now, people have to decide whether they want to have a beer or they want to be in their seats. I can't imagine the rationale for why our fans are forced into that decision.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

For most fans. its a long drive to Kingston and never easy to get on campus, but I still feel like Rhody fans take forever to get to their seats. Barely making it for the lineups.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO there are a list of about 20 other things the program could execute better before the Pub was addressed.
Actually marketing the program beyond online banner ads might be #1. I have 19 more too, I would tell you over a beer at the Pub but I digress....
2 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Blue Man wrote:I will continue to wonder why we don't sell booze at all concessions and/or beer carts.

I heard from an insider within the dept. that athletics and the Ryan Center have been trying to get full alcohol sales at games. They have been serving through the stands and letting people drink in their seats for some Ryan Center shows in the last few years but have been prevented in doing so at basketball for whatever strange reason.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Dilly Dilly!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

My understanding is the general sale of alcohol during basketball games requires approval from President Dooley.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Dooley... he’s dragging his feet, hopefully he starts looking at the bottom line!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I have respect for Dooley's role as more than the President of a basketball team. He has to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the institution as a whole. A lot goes into that, and I think we have fairly outlined the "pro" arguments for going full beer and wine sales at men's basketball games, but there is more to it than that.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......at the Dunk last nite, the trash back an forth between a few Gopher fans and the PC fans was fine, fun and spirited....until late in game when a liquid was tossed toward the most vocal Gopher fan by a group of exiting PC fans.....my guess is that liquid was not water.....full beer at the RC.....not sure that is way to go for a campus venue....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sction (105), it looked like on TV that with about 1.5 minutes to go there was a fight going on. Most fans in the Dunk were standing to look at the fight that appeared to be behind the basket at one end. PC Board mentions a Minnesota an holding a sign that people didn't care for.
Did anyone get hurt?
How long did the fight go on for and how many involved?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......it appears to me it was mostly push/shove kindabout, I did not see the Gopher fan at center of event holding anything.....no one appeared to get hurt, arena security on it quickly, went on for a few minutes where PPD sorted things out and took two folks out(with assistance of course)....I think the liquid tosser was long gone down the concourse by the time the PPD arrived on scene.....the scene was across court from me, in the court corner area behind the Gopher bench, say 6-8 rows from court, the PC fans were early exiting in front of the Gopher fan.....whom seemed upset over the fact the liquid tosser was not held up and the fans around the fan taken out seemed to try to explain that to the security folks.....the only sign I was was a PC fan holding one which said....”Pitino paid me to be here.....”..... hard to tell how many were directly involved, saw two taken out....not good.....AND let me add this; the Gopher fan was probably not wishing a good evening to the exiting PC fans, and as we have all seen time and time again as the alcohol content goes up, the IQ goes down no matter which color clothing the fans wear...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Bri234u
Frenchy Tomlin

Getting the fans more involved DURING game

Unread post by Bri234u »

Greeting from Section 309,

I can't think of anything better to do with my spare time than to take my family to see the Rams play. It is the highlight of our winter season. It is great to see more and more people attending games this season. With that said it would be great for this board to brainstorm ways to get the fans more involved DURING the game. I don't expect our fans to stand and cheer the entire game but there might be other ways our fan base can show their support.

Here are some ideas...

Example #1 - during our free throw attempts everyone raises their arms and if the free throw is made every claps once. If a second free throw is made (two claps). I have seen this done before with other programs and it looks and sounds awesome.

Example #2 - Place some cheerleaders around the crowd for part of the game. Have them hand out rewards for the fans who are involved. - tshirts, Rhody balls, free tickets.....

Example #3 - Show coach Hurley more on the big screen. Especially when he is trying to get the crowd fired up.

Example #4 - Have our mascot be more involved. Is there a reason why he is not being used during the game to get the fans fired up. Isn't that one of the main responsibilities of a mascot?

Thoughts?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

For this game vs Bonnies that will be a (virtual) sell-out, sure hope the security measures are... ahem.. measured and reasonable.

Don't give parents with kids under 6 a hard time by scanning each small child.

Don't give mothers carrying small children a hard time about their diaper bags.

Don't make our more mature patrons open coats, etc if they appear to have difficulty doing that outside on-demand.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The biggest issue I've noticed is how WOEFULLY underprepared the concessions are for people.

The lines are out of control.

In the pub, any of the food areas, anything.

It's honestly inexcusable for an arena of only 7600 to have 20+ minute lines to get a god damn bottle of water. They need to figure that out.

Also on my list is teaching the cameramen where to find the zoom button. I've been to literally dozens of arenas and stadiums in my time. In and out of this region, in and out of this country...and I have never seen video board promos and activities have the zoom any further out than we do at the Ryan Center.

We literally couldn't even pull off a kiss cam because there are 15-20 people on the screen at once and no one would be able to figure out who was doing what.

Also replays. REPLAYS. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY CAN'T SOMEONE JUST TAKE AN AUX CABLE AND PLUG THE TV FEED INTO THE VIDEO INPUT??

We have the same level of LED boards as TD Garden. There is a video input in there somewhere.

I will even volunteer my phone to stream the game so that you can plug it into the videoboard so we can see the replays they see at home.**

**Streaming actually wouldn't work because the WiFi in the building is AWFUL. That could also use some fixing.

For the second time in as many years we have a premium basketball product on the court in front of us. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A PREMIUM HOME GAME EXPERIENCE TO WATCH IT!? WHYYYYYYYYY
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......uuuuuummmmm, not thinking “Big”
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the concessions are ridiculous

i refuse to go b/c of the wait

who wants to wait 20+ mins

its a complete and utter joke
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I went to get a soda. One girl was the only person out front. (It was about 45 minutes before tipoff. ) When she went to ring it up, she couldn't figure out how to use the register. I was there for 10 minutes. Not her fault. Who trains these kids?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote:
**Streaming actually wouldn't work because the WiFi in the building is AWFUL. That could also use some fixing.
The guest wifi sucks but URI secure works really well even during games so you just ave to find a willing student to input their creds haha
3 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

My experience with the concessions the last 3 games:
- ordering, paying for and receiving ice cream to then find out there were no utensils, “we ran out” (20 mins before the game)
- after paying for soda with food I’m told “actually we don’t have coke I can pour it but it doesn’t taste right tonight”
- yet another separate time “the fountain drinks aren’t working right now”

Again all these instances were BEFORE the game started. This is on top of the fact that they are the slowest people I’ve ever seen working registers and getting food.

Regarding the security, I understand the need in this day BUT we can not ask elderly fans to wait in long lines outside in the middle of winter. I hope that a reconfiguration of the interior lobby can be done to accommodate the area needed to do this inside next year OR they build an extension area in front of the current entrance to enclose and heat the “plaza”. If not I know for sure my 70 year old father won’t renew his seats, he’s very pissed off at this experience.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodygirl2 wrote:My experience with the concessions the last 3 games:
- ordering, paying for and receiving ice cream to then find out there were no utensils, “we ran out” (20 mins before the game)
- after paying for soda with food I’m told “actually we don’t have coke I can pour it but it doesn’t taste right tonight”

Again all these instances were BEFORE the game started. This is on top of the fact that they are the slowest people I’ve ever seen working registers and getting food.

Regarding the security, I understand the need in this day BUT we can not ask elderly fans to wait in long lines outside in the middle of winter. I hope that a reconfiguration of the interior lobby can be done to accommodate the area needed to do this inside next year OR they build an extension area in front of the current entrance to enclose and heat the “plaza”. If not I know for sure my 70 year old father won’t renew his seats, he’s very pissed off at this experience.
Rhodygirl2,
Do you think that the right people are hearing about these issues? How do we fix these issues?
Expect big crowds in all of the remaining games so I hope things improve.
Would seem that bringing more help for concessions and having drinks available would be a high priority to bring in more revenue.
Thanks for sharing.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......where has the service gone in the service industry?......regarding the metal detector wands......an earlier game this year, I went to sit down and a lump in my back pocket turned out to be a screwdriver I forget to remove before leaving the house......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My wife and I are 65 and don't mind the wanding. It's a sign of the times. But the concessions are terribly run.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Maybe those working concessions just aren't gettinmg enough practice...have more events at the Ry....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Rhodygirl2 wrote:My experience with the concessions the last 3 games:

Rhodygirl2,
Do you think that the right people are hearing about these issues? How do we fix these issues?
Expect big crowds in all of the remaining games so I hope things improve.
Would seem that bringing more help for concessions and having drinks available would be a high priority to bring in more revenue.
Thanks for sharing.
The general manager of the Ryan Center is Leah Becki. You can email her here: leah_becki@comcastspectacor.com
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just train these kids better and tell them to move a little more quickly....not that difficult.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's not that difficult, and yet...

The reality is that if it doesn't get on someone's radar it isn't ever going to be corrected.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Just train these kids better and tell them to move a little more quickly....not that difficult.
From reading this thread it sounds a lot more difficult. It doesn't seem like they have any chance of doing better if machines and processes aren't running right. I know it's easy to slam them because they're the ones you see and they're young, but the issues go above their heads and have been issues for awhile
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It's not the kids' fault. The setups are terrible.
1 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Completely agree it’s a mgmt and process thing. The reason I mentioned that the problems I see are before the game is because those are entirely setup and solvable.

Also don’t mind the wanding it’s the fact that it’s outside in winter.

I will email - thanks for posting contact.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Just train these kids better and tell them to move a little more quickly....not that difficult.
From reading this thread it sounds a lot more difficult. It doesn't seem like they have any chance of doing better if machines and processes aren't running right. I know it's easy to slam them because they're the ones you see and they're young, but the issues go above their heads and have been issues for awhile
Oh, I agree. Faulty equipment and the fact they're not trained properly is certainly not the kids' fault.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:It's not that difficult, and yet...

The reality is that if it doesn't get on someone's radar it isn't ever going to be corrected.
It is managements responsibility to know if the operation is running successfully or not. It's very evident from the comments here that there is plenty of opportunity to improve. Just the fact that the lines are enormous tells a pretty bad story. Soft drink machines not working from the start Running out of utensils. on and on.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Oh, I agree. Faulty equipment and the fact they're not trained properly is certainly not the kids' fault.
Sounds like things are broken at many levels, Inefficient layout of the operation. Lack of training. People who are working moving too slow. One person running the whole stand was mentioned. Inventory issues with running out of utensils. Drink machines not working properly. Long lines. I have been there when the hot dogs were not ready when they opened 60 minutes before game time - why not have the hot dogs ready for the buying public when you open?

The issues are obvious to anyone who wants to look. Half way through the season so it's not like these issues should not have been resolved right now. If management at the half way point does not realize there is trouble in paradise then it's time for a new Captain of the ship
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I gave up buying food at the concessions a while ago, my observations from just walking by the counters echo those stated above. Today as I passed a counter I noticed a line of at least 20 with only 2 workers visible(both at registers). No one getting food/drink and 2 other registers unmanned. I bring in my own snacks- don’t mind paying for concessions but I will not waste time standing in line missing any part of the game.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

In the post game press conference today Dan mentioned the upgrades to the Ryan Center that have been performed since he first started. Living in Florida and only visiting the Ryan Center once in the fall of 2016, I have no idea what they are. Can someone fill me in? Thanks.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KevanBoyles wrote:In the post game press conference today Dan mentioned the upgrades to the Ryan Center that have been performed since he first started. Living in Florida and only visiting the Ryan Center once in the fall of 2016, I have no idea what they are. Can someone fill me in? Thanks.
Let's see: New Jumbotron, new floor, upgraded locker room, new arena ribbon board, new scorer's table with screen, two pubs, new Media Room. I'm sure there is more.
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

New scorers table with screen? Don’t understand.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KevanBoyles wrote:New scorers table with screen? Don’t understand.
The scorer's table used to have a scroll for adverts. The real cheap kind that looks like crap. Now it is an integrated system on an LED screen.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

New lights
1 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

And oh a team that’s on fire
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Don't forget the new trophy case.
1 x
GO RAMS
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Bodies in the seats
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......a positive future, rather than stuck in the past, the recent negative past.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Fair enough, I misread what you were saying and read too much into it. My fault
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Thanks The Blue Ram. Now I understand.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Why wouldn’t URI hire college kids looking for beer money that will work events to staff these concessions? I did that back in college for a minor league hockey team and it worked out great. We busted our butt and got some great beer money out of it!
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Same here. Worked Keaney and Meade 1973 - 76.
0 x