1/3 | La Salle Explorers | 7PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/3 | La Salle Explorers | 7PM

Unread post by bigappleram »

I recall a play or two last night where Cyril did in fact keep the ball high, and go right up...no doubt that is something they are working on with him daily.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Tough one to watch last night. Even the crowd couldn't find a way to get going. They kept trying but there was a complete lack of energy in the building. Too many whistles and LaSalle playing most of the shot clock while the game was close in the first half. Second half after the 6 point play game was still hard to watch.

Best part of last night was realizing the team is talented enough to win these types of games comfortably.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:They were the first team to completely sag off, go under screens, and dare us to shoot. Gave us all kinds of room 15-20 feet from the hoop. We were like a deer in headlights at times with many of our better perimeter guys hesitant to shoot, or heads down to the rim at other times -- the latter often leading to steals from their quick handed guards.

Fatts is going to be fine. He's a freshman, and he's a player used to being the alpha scorer that is like the 19th option now. He's unsure when and where to be aggressive on offensive side, that will all go away in future years...that said, he is a force on defensive end and has a presence when he is in the game at all times. He;s a scorer, not a shooter, and right now we don't need scoring.
I think that Russell is a shooter and a scorer. It may not seem that way now but in reality he has proven he can shoot accurately in the past. He is 18-20 on Free Throws for 90% in just his freshman year, just started and the majority of his made FTs hit only the net. Good shooters are also always good FT Shooters.

In the most prestigious AAU Tournament, the Peach Jam, Russell's Team Final played BABC, Houston Hoops, Each 1 Teach 1, NY Rens and CP3 - all very talented teams that made the Championships of 24 Teams. Russell hit 15 - 27 Three Point Shots for 55.6 percent against very tough competition - even tougher talent wise than he is playing against in A10 Competition. In the 33 point game against the NY Rens Russell made 7-12 Three Point Shots in front of Dan Hurley, David Cox, and many other P5 Head Coaches from around the Nation.

On one Show earlier this year (don't recall if it was post game or a Mews Show), Dan Hurley had Fatts as a guest and he mentioned how he and David Cox thought Russell was the 2nd best Point Guard they saw at the Peach Jam EYBL AAU Tournament, and he said the only one better was Trae Young and we all know what he is now doing at Oklahoma. And consider Quade Green was also in that same Peach Jam Tournament and Hurley said Russell was 2nd best he saw. Food for thought.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Fatts has already hit the Freshman wall. That might sound ridiculous after only 12 games. What affects a shooter's shot more than anything? Tired legs. Only 12 games, yes, but intense practice sessions and 94 feet of intense defensive pressure in those 12 games. I think Marshall will be working on building more strength and endurance in Fatts' legs this offseason and we'll see a difference next year. We'll need him to be much more of a scorer next year anyway. He'll be fine. Obviously he's very talented. He just needs to work on his endurance.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Post game articles-

Love the comments from the players so far this season- everyone’s on the same page, lots of unselfishness going on.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I guess it's a good thing Johnson didn't play. Probably would have been an L for us.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

does anyone have the link to steve n dons postgame--i missed it last night
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:I recall a play or two last night where Cyril did in fact keep the ball high, and go right up...no doubt that is something they are working on with him daily.
I think Cyril is really coachable. The difference in his offensive game at the end of last year compared to the beginning of last year was really noticeable. He didn't suddenly master a bunch of difficult post moves, but you could see him at least trying to incorporate things into his game that he wasn't early on. Even if he didn't successfully execute what he was trying to do, I appreciate the kid seemingly taking the coaching he was getting seriously and trying to implement it. Not shocking that we will see him work on things even from game to game.
Billyboy78 wrote:I guess it's a good thing Johnson didn't play. Probably would have been an L for us.
I don't agree. I'm generally a believer that one player can impact a game - I had a very hard time convincing anyone that EC would have made a difference in the dozen or so games we lost without him in 2015-16 by just a possession or two - but I don't see how one guy is going to make up 12 points. Yes, he gets his 20 or so, but he uses 20-25 possessions to do it. Last night, if you gave 25 of La Salle's possessions to Johnson, you'd be taking about as much off the board as Johnson would have put on it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought Cyril had one of his better games very productive in 18 minutes

I would like to get him at least 25 minutes a night

I don't think he will ever be as good as Hass offensively but he should be able to get 10 a night along with 8 boards starting next year
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I guess it's a good thing Johnson didn't play. Probably would have been an L for us.
Johnson leading the A10 in Scoring and 3rd in rebounding - as strong statistics as anyone in the A10 has to date - would certainly have tested us pretty well

This will be a tough stretch 1 week for is with St Bonaventure and LaSalle on the road and Dayton at home

Fri, Feb 16 @ St. Bonaventure 7:00 PM ET

Tue, Feb 20 @ La Salle 7:00 PM ET CBS Sports Network

Fri, Feb 23 vs Dayton
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I recall a play or two last night where Cyril did in fact keep the ball high, and go right up...no doubt that is something they are working on with him daily.
I think Cyril is really coachable. The difference in his offensive game at the end of last year compared to the beginning of last year was really noticeable. He didn't suddenly master a bunch of difficult post moves, but you could see him at least trying to incorporate things into his game that he wasn't early on. Even if he didn't successfully execute what he was trying to do, I appreciate the kid seemingly taking the coaching he was getting seriously and trying to implement it. Not shocking that we will see him work on things even from game to game.
I don't agree. I'm generally a believer that one player can impact a game - I had a very hard time convincing anyone that EC would have made a difference in the dozen or so games we lost without him in 2015-16 by just a possession or two - but I don't see how one guy is going to make up 12 points. Yes, he gets his 20 or so, but he uses 20-25 possessions to do it. Last night, if you gave 25 of La Salle's possessions to Johnson, you'd be taking about as much off the board as Johnson would have put on it.
He also creates more possessions because he is a rebounder. Maybe 5 additional possessions? Let's say 3 offensive rebounds and putbacks and 2 defensive rebounds instead of offensive rebounds and putbacks by us. That's 10 points right there. Plus, that 12 point final margin is a little misleading. It was much closer than that with 4 or 5 minutes left. We'll never know. Maybe we play with more intensity if he plays also. I think we're a little fortunate to come out with a win given the combination of his absence and our lack of passion.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Johnson will be there next time we face these guys and I am sure he will be one large pain in the back side
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Now people are posting that a game we won would have been a loss if player X played?

Isn't it enough that every game we play you think it will be near impossible to win? Now when we win there is an asterisk?

I doubt St. Joes posted on their board that they would have lost that game they broke Jarvis's jaw and knocked out Iverson if they hadn't assaulted the Running Rams.
8 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Now people are posting that a game we won would have been a loss if player X played?

Isn't it enough that every game we play you think it will be near impossible to win? Now when we win there is an asterisk?

I doubt St. Joes posted on their board that they would have lost that game they broke Jarvis's jaw and knocked out Iverson if they hadn't assaulted the Running Rams.
....I guess that is how some roll here......we don’t have a lot of recent experience being the hunted.......not much experience leading the pack.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Dan was pretty livid the whole game. Punching the scorers table, and you could hear a lot of what he was saying from 203.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm very confused on how this was a "much closer" game the last 5 minutes. We were up 67-53 and LaSalle went on a 5-0 run to bring the lead down to 9. We immediately brought the lead back up to 72-58 after a nice layup from JT and a three from EC.

We win that game with or without Johnson.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ok, I'm wrong. Let's move on.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ok, I'm wrong. Let's move on.
I agree with you Billy Boy

We lost versus the spread of 12.5 points, winning by 12 so game was close as predicted

EC Mathews had a great game scoring 24 points including the amazing 6 point play where there was a foul in the lane after his 2 point hoop and then URI got the ball back due to the foul and EC hit the 3 pointer, got fouled and made the FT for an unbelievable 6 point turnaround - that came at a key point in the game in the 2nd half.

Put BJ Johnson on the court who is #1 in scoring in the A10 and #3 in rebounding in the A10 and the game gets considerably closer. Do we win? Probably not but it certainly changes things.

Put BJ Johnson in the line up and face LaSalle at their place and the game is a small point spread on February 20. LaSalle is talented and well coached. Could be a Top 4 finisher in the A10 this year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LaSalle may be Top 4 in A10, but 3 and 4 will probably/maybe be NIT...so, huge difference between Top 4 and Top 2.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree with you 208. But I am not convinced St Bonaventure lands #1 or #2, I think a Dayton, VCU or LaSalle could potentially sneak into the #2 spot with URI hopefully in the #1 slot. I am still concerned with the loss of Martin and Iverson. Still not sure how this all plays out. Robinson has been fantastic leading the team in rebounding but I think we need to improve down low to claim the #1 spot. imho.
0 x