12/27 | Florida Gulf Coast Eagles | 7PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Re: 12/27 | Florida Gulf Coast Eagles | 7PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by EGram »

Nice Breakdown CRAM. I have not spent much time paying attention to NA myself this year but what you say seems to align with my View that he has seemingly regressed. His one skill aside from his size is his outside shooting but it seems like he rarely sets up for spot up threes or does much with, or without the ball to utilize this ability.

Odd as I felt like he at least would spot up for corner 3s on kickouts last year, soi can't help wondering if Hurley changed the offense in a way that's he has struggled to adjust to.

I also Agree I don't understand why Layssard is not getting more minutes based on what weve seen so far. He has a legit nice looking shot and obvious ability + Athleticism for someone with his height and size... I'm 100% sure Hurley has good reasons for not playing him but don't be shocked if he transfers and is putting up big numbers for Iona or some other team in 2-3 years.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It is nearly impossible for Layssard to do worse than Akele has done this season. He needs to be playing over Nicola.
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......yep on Laysard, maybe his competitive level for success is the MAAC type league, we’ve discussed here over time that maybe the future for Berry would have been that, now look.....I guess in the DH guard focused offense it just longer time for the bigs to develop and work their way into significant PT.......I still think the defensive liability is the reason for not much time now....players don’t develop via bench sitting......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When discussing whether or not some of these bigs will get minutes, don't look at what they can do offensively. It's all about defense. You might say that Andre isn't a great defensive player. But Dan sees that Andre at least understands the defense better than guys like Layssard, Preston and Tertsea.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote:......yep on Laysard, maybe his competitive level for success is the MAAC type league, we’ve discussed here over time that maybe the future for Berry would have been that, now look.....I guess in the DH guard focused offense it just longer time for the bigs to develop and work their way into significant PT.......I still think the defensive liability is the reason for not much time now....players don’t develop via bench sitting......
Players develop in practice, and players earn playing time in practice. Yeah, we're talkin bout practice! Players don't develop by getting meaningless minutes in games. And a team that is fighting for a conference championship and NCAA berth can't afford to waste minutes on guys who need to "develop".
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't know how many times we have gone over this but Laysard will never see any meaningful minutes this year unless a couple guys go down for the year. He is behind Akele and Preston on the depth chart according to DH and I doubt that changes
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote:I don't know how many times we have gone over this but Laysard will never see any meaningful minutes this year unless a couple guys go down for the year. He is behind Akele and Preston on the depth chart according to DH and I doubt that changes
I have no problem with that TBH. We have so many talented guards that need minutes for us to win. If Dan doesn't think big Mike is worthy of the minutes yet, I've got no problem with that.

Dan never gives people minutes right away - Jarvis, Hass, Berry, Jeff - go down the list and this is what Dan does. He brings them along slowly. It works out for the best, so I'm inclined to trust it.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

Blue Man wrote:
reef wrote:I don't know how many times we have gone over this but Laysard will never see any meaningful minutes this year unless a couple guys go down for the year. He is behind Akele and Preston on the depth chart according to DH and I doubt that changes
I have no problem with that TBH. We have so many talented guards that need minutes for us to win. If Dan doesn't think big Mike is worthy of the minutes yet, I've got no problem with that.

Dan never gives people minutes right away - Jarvis, Hass, Berry, Jeff - go down the list and this is what Dan does. He brings them along slowly. It works out for the best, so I'm inclined to trust it.

Agreed. I'm more inclined to trust Dan as an evaluator of talent and knowing when his players are ready to make a contribution to the team as opposed to some board members who think Layssard is our answer because he's scored a few points and gotten some rebounds in garbage time. Trust the process...I don't think Dan has let us down yet
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I am not a fan of Mike (yet). Just doesn't seem comfortable enough out there.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:

Jared was one of the exceptions. I wonder if Harris is the next?
0 x