Rod Carri has Passed Away

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
woodennickel1
ARD

Re: Rod Carri has Passed Away

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Really sorry to hear about Rod's passing. Very much enjoyed his posts.

REST IN PEACE,
Rod
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'd love to hear about his tribute today at the Ryan Center. No more deserving person. RIP to the biggest URI fan ever.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeteRI wrote:I'd love to hear about his tribute today at the Ryan Center. No more deserving person. RIP to the biggest URI fan ever.
.......it was season ticket holder of the game, 210 Oyster gift card, well done by EZ Buckets mentioned the KB and rodfromcranston as long time Fan etc...
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

A very large, positive response from the crowd.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Good tribute.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Nice way to handle it.....paid tribute to Rod without setting any type of precedent which would have to be followed every time one of our great fans passes away.....people like Gandy and NorwegianGal.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Glad to hear our guy Rod get a nice tribute!!
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I loved hearing the Tribute to Rod Carri during the first official break. My only complaint was he they did not plug the Keaney Blue Forum, as I know it meant alloy a lot to Rod, Frankly in the age of Twitter/facebook/Social Media 2.0 old style forums like these are in danger as more and more members join the departed so we need all the plugs we can get.

I don't know about how others feel but these forums are an integral part of the net for me and losing them because twitter lends itselfs more to soundbite culture would me a real shame to me.

Recently an old Video game forum with large topics on politics/computing/NFL. and perhaps most importantly a Discord channel started using the owners BItcoin Bux to advertise on reddit ( Like we reversed 5 years of decline in 2 months). The results so far are fantastic. it's not like the 1998-2003 Heyday when were perhaps the biggest independent VIdeo game forum In the US and probably the world but the new blood has revitalized things.

Maybe make a Rodi Carri memorial KeaneyBlue fund? IF it's tax exempt my dad and 1 would be interested in signing up. Especially if it can go under 2017 Taxes somehow.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote:Nice way to handle it.....paid tribute to Rod without setting any type of precedent which would have to be followed every time one of our great fans passes away.....people like Gandy and NorwegianGal.....
Agree it was nicely done. Also nice that there was a big turn out for this game despite the snow to hear the tribute.
When did gandy send Norwegian gal pass away?
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Hey guys, just wanted to stop in and apologize for not mentioning KB during Rod’s tribute yesterday. I had every intention to, but got caught in the moment and unfortunately it slipped from my mind.

I don’t really get nervous speaking in front of a large crowd any longer, but the weight of Rod’s loss on the community and the pressure of honoring the man next to his daughter & grandchildren got the best of me.

Besides the glaring omission I hope my KB brethren found the tribute acceptable.
16 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

EZBuckets wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to stop in and apologize for not mentioning KB during Rod’s tribute yesterday. I had every intention to, but got caught in the moment and unfortunately it slipped from my mind.

I don’t really get nervous speaking in front of a large crowd any longer, but the weight of Rod’s loss on the community and the pressure of honoring the man next to his daughter & grandchildren got the best of me.

Besides the glaring omission I hope my KB brethren found the tribute acceptable.
Did I hallucinate? I could have sworn you did mention this forum.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He said rodfromcranston and Keaney blue ran through his veins but never explicitly put the two together
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

EZBuckets wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to stop in and apologize for not mentioning KB during Rod’s tribute yesterday. I had every intention to, but got caught in the moment and unfortunately it slipped from my mind.

You did a fine job. Thanks for doing it.
5 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

EZ, thanks for your tribute to ROD..

I heard it while watching the stream as they never cut away during the timeout..

I was glad to hear it and sad all at the same time.

I have always loved reading rod's posts.. Dating back to the projo days..

I am glad I went up to him last year to chat w him for 10 minutes during halftime of the game I went to...

Thanks again EZ
5 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Thanks EZ..... well done and I really appreciate your efforts throughout our games. I think you do an amazing job.
4 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Rodman,

Happy New Year Brother! RIP!

You’re a f’n legend of RHODY B-BALL fandom.

God’s Speed!

Love you man!

GO RHODY!
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I thought you did an excellent job of the tribute and was happy to have been there. Thanks to EZ and the athletic department for having the well done tribute to Rod.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I follow Rod on Twitter

He had an app that would tweet how many people followed and un-followed him

I still get tweets that Rod had this many new followers and that many unfollowers today.....

I always tweet back that I miss you Rod
7 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rod must be loving the run.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Just saw this. RIP Rod. Rod was a classmate of my father's at Cranston High School, before there was an East and a West.

Say hi to my dad up there for me, Rod. I'll never forget you.
8 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

What would Rod be saying and thinking now?.....too bad he missed it
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

class of 86 wrote:What would Rod be saying and thinking now?.....too bad he missed it
He for sure did not.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Can’t believe it’s been 2 years.

A worthier bump I couldn’t find. Win it for Rod today boys.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

wow, 2 years already

Rod’s spirit and love and Italian vinegar he brought to this board will forever be missed !

Miss you Rod !
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thanks for remembering him Blue Man :)
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

:(
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think Rod would be pleased today.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Rod was a good guy. I often think about what his reactions would be to how the Rams are playing.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 4 years ago Rod was a good guy. I often think about what his reactions would be to how the Rams are playing.
.......I think he would like the resolve this team has when others recent teams would fade....l
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obviously there is no wifi in heaven, or else he would be breaking down this game to a T.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just wanted to remember Rod Carri, better known as RodFromCranston, three years after his passing. Rod died far too young at the age of 68 on December 21, 2017. He was a devoted Rhody fan to the core. He was a frequent caller to local sports talk radio back in the day and was a prolific poster here. He is in fact to this day still in the top five on this site for most posts. May he rest in peace.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
15 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Rod is definitely missed.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Just wanted to remember Rod Carri, better known as RodFromCranston, three years after his passing. Rod died far too young at the age of 68 on December 21, 2017. He was a devoted Rhody fan to the core. He was a frequent caller to local sports talk radio back in the day and was a prolific poster here. He is in fact to this day still in the top five on this site for most posts. May he rest in peace.
The Frank Keaney of Keaneyblue.com
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rod is really missed. I loved running to his seat at half time to discuss the games. He introduced me to many prominent Rhody fans and alums. Great friend.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

His friendship was a gift - on and away from this forum.

I will forever be grateful for all the games I did get to take in with him.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's been a huge hole in this forum since Rod has been gone.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

REST IN PEACE ROD

your impact on KEANEY blue will never be forgotten

Your impact on the people you met in life will always be missed
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It’s been 5 years, worthy thread bump.

Salute, mi amici. Ci rivediamo.
12 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I often reflect on current state of his loved program and say to self, what would Rod think…….
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Chris DiSano
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Chris DiSano »

Hi all -- The man's passion for URI knew no bounds. I remember dropping the box score to a URI/Saint Joseph's game to Rod while he was in the hospital an earlier time, knowing he'd likely appreciate it as much as medical treatment. That's how much he loved the program. Whether you agreed with him or not, you always knew where he stood. What a character. Missed.

Wishing all of you on KB Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

-Chris
20 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Greatly missed.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

My father died in May 1994 from cancer. Exactly one week after his 44th birthday. I was 21 at the time.

About 6-7 years later, I met Rod for the first time. He went to school with him at CHS, class of '68. He had all of these memories from high school that he shared with me. I already admired Rod prior to that from my time spent on the message boards, but that kind of put it over the top for me.

Rod was one of those guys that had a vision for this program. Unshakeable. Unflappable. I looked up his rebuttal on library film to Bill Reynolds in the opinion section of the sports page in the Projo when Bunky suggested URI replace Al Skinner with his assistant Tim O'Shea, in the years just before everything got archived on the internet. The passion he had that he was able to communicate to other people was astounding.

I think Rod understood that it was a long road to greatness with a lot of bumps and pitfalls in the road. It was poor decision making that seemed to bother him the most, decisions that could set the program back a decade at a time, along with the dismissive attitude that people had for the state University basketball program. CFL must have taken a massive toll on him. A tunnel with no light at the end. Just sent to basketball purgatory and you'll take it and like it, must have driven him crazy even more than the rest of us.

The hiring of Dan Hurley was a big big deal to Rod. After his hiring, I kind of left the scene, because I felt like it was inevitable that Hurley would produce greatness here, it was just a matter of time. I poked my head in occasionally. I remember when people had become disgruntled with Hurley, I didn't bother to comment. I am just glad that everything worked out in the end. People were able to utilize some patience, and Hurley was able to parlay that into a pair of NCAA appearances.

Sorry for the rambling. I miss Rod too, is what I am trying to say. And the program will always miss his influence.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Always enjoyed and learned something during conversations with Rod on Keaney Blue . I will never forget those conversations and Rod's passion for URI Athletics.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Had a few run ins when I moderated the ProJo board, but learned to respect his passion and bb knowledge. Learned to,turn to him for all things Rhody related. He was a good guy. Hard to believe it’s been 5 years.
1 x
Ramettes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramettes »

I don’t think his obituary was ever posted here and it includes a picture so I thought some of you might like to see the link: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/p ... =14907510 .
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i still have a picture on my phone of me and Rod... while we always shared posts online and private messages i never met him until that one game not too long ago where he was sitting in our section - my wife urged me to say hello to Rod since I always would talk about him... at halftime I said hello and chatted with him for awhile... there was something special about rodfromcranston and we all love and miss him... this is why i have always felt and thought about the posters on this board - while we might not agree all the time and throw some mud from time to time the bottom line is that we are all have the one thing that will always make us family.. we bleed Keaney Blue - RIP Rod.. wish you were still with us
5 x