12/27 | Florida Gulf Coast Eagles | 7PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/27 | Florida Gulf Coast Eagles | 7PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by reef »

Dadika that was hilarious!!
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

I have been following Rhody ball for many. many years and I can't remember the last time I have seen a game without a dunk by either team. I was even hoping the FL guy made his and was crushed when we had our miss. Winning so easy had a quite crowd tonite. I'm willing to have that until the students are back.
Is their any way to make sure that a student who comes to the game during break is guaranteed a ticket when school starts up. I would rather have them then the Johnie come lately that we will be in line when we keep winning.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Best part about this game was that we were able to pull away and win easily.

That's been the hardest thing for Hurley teams to do. Put together enough good offensive poessesions to pull away and stick the nail in the coffin.

Today we made the countless defensive stops like we always do and made those dagger shots after getting up 10 to ensure the win.

Not sure how they kept up with Wichita state like hey did, but I'm just gonna say that's a testament to how good we are!

Hope we can do more of the same against GMU!
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

URI was finally able to have a very good shooting night and only 5 turnovers. the defense was as smothering as ever.
What a difference a healthy and confident EC makes. I think he relaxed everyone else and that helped the shooting all
the way around. 10 threes made them look like they did at the end of last season, scary good.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Was Michael Tertsea there? The two walk-ons played and he didn't.
Yes. He did warm up drills before game and at halftime. He looked good physically
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In the first half our defense was not good allowing lots of easy baskets,2nd half we played very well both on offense and defense
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:Nice effort once we cranked it up on D it was over. Dowtin gets a lot of criticism but he is usually guarding the other team's best guard and their guy didn't do shit tonight. Great to see EC back in form. JT his usual solid performance. Same with SR who is also under-rated. Really solid OOC performance. Looking forward to the A10. Hoping Cyril can get it going.
- Agree Dowtin gets a lot of criticism here but he is a steady, lunch-bucket type performer. 6 assists and just 1 turnover. He had the responsibility for FGCUs best player, Brandon Goodwin, most all game. He frustrated Goodwin, once even blocking cleanly a 3 point attempt. His long arms, efficient foot movement and relentless pressure help to frustrate the opponent. There’s a reason DH plays Dowtin so many minutes every game. Team had only 5 TOs and Dowtin brings a steadying influence.

- EC also gets critiqued a lot, but he was great tonight. Shows how we need a healthy EC in the line up. I was thrilled to see EC get the start. The FT shooting of EC and JT is turning into a real strength for URI since they both go to the line so much. Love the rebounding EC brings to the table, just as in A10 Tournament last year and in NCAA.

- Terrell passed nicely. Played within himself. He and EC looked great together

- Robinson was immense once again offensively and defensively. Led the team once again in rebounding with 7.

- Berry with 2 good blocks but we will need much more than 1 rebound in 25 minutes from the big guy

- Langevine with 4 fouls and all 4 were just not good fouls. Silly fouls. Still dribbles whenever he gets the ball inside, especially off a rebound. Often loses control when he dribbleS. Good for uri that Stan is rebounding and defending the opponents big men so well.

- crowd noise was funny when The 5’3” Rogers first entered the game in the second half. Fatts towered over Rogers as they covered one another.

- Listened to Steve, Don, Dan Hurley and Chris Disano on the Coaches show on the drive home. All credited FGCU with being a good team but it was URIs stellar defense, offense and only 5 TOs that made the difference. Comments were made that this was our best game of the season except for Possibly Seton Hall.

- On to conference play Saturday afternoon!!!
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

FGCU didn't play as they did against Wichita and URI didn't play as they did against Iona. EC returned to form while Fatts and Cyril were useless. We have no answers defensively down low, and FGCU stopped exploiting our weakness and got blown out their "clock cleaned"). Dre, Stan, EC, Jared and Jeff all had good games, and when this happens, we'll give almost anyone a good game. In almost a third of the playing minutes, we got 7 points out of the bench.

I'm fond of saying that you are never as good as you look when you win, and never as bad as you look when you lose. After a blow out win, I'm looking for where we can improve. This team has more potential than it has shown. Should Fatts continue to fade it will have little impact on team performance this season, but we need Cyril to return to form and perhaps get a little more out of Preston. Jarvis and Nicolai will continue to provide valuable depth and have their moments of success as valuable subs. Dre will only be successful against bigger, slower teams. Outside shooting will be important to stop teams from packing it in against us. It may be time to ease up in practice and have fresh game legs.

It's so much better having a team that improves as a season progresses, rather than what happened to so many Jim Baron teams.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: It's so much better having a team that improves as a season progresses, rather than what happened to so many Jim Baron teams.

Absolutely!!

As was discussed on the post game show, this may have been our best performance of the season, although one could argue the Seton Hall game.
But what is important is that what might arguably have been our best performance of the season came in the last game of the OOC season, just prior to playing George Mason to kick off the all important A10 Conference Play. Perfect timing.

After the game Hurley said, "With E.C. back out there, I don't think we have to take a bad shot. We have so many good players, so many good guards."

It's interesting how well the ball moved last might, how effortlessly the passes were made, how unselfish the team was. By comparison, the Alabama game was frustrating to watch as Wimp Sanderson and the other TV announcer kept referring our players as "dribble and drive, dribble and drive." We did not pass well in that game, we did not play at the level we played at last night. The good thing is that with the tough schedule that Dan Hurley put together he has been able to see who his top performing players are going forward, what his best combinations of players are going into Conference play. Not quite the combinations some expected prior to Game #1 back in November.

In watching EC last night, he brings an added dimension as DH said, but he also has had 5 years of tutelage under Dan Hurley. He knows the plays, he knows what Dan Hurley wants from an execution standpoint - it's like having an extension of the Head Coach on the floor. It's going to be an interesting and exciting upcoming 90 days!!!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodywins wrote:I have been following Rhody ball for many. many years and I can't remember the last time I have seen a game without a dunk by either team. I was even hoping the FL guy made his and was crushed when we had our miss. Winning so easy had a quite crowd tonite. I'm willing to have that until the students are back.
Is their any way to make sure that a student who comes to the game during break is guaranteed a ticket when school starts up. I would rather have them then the Johnie come lately that we will be in line when we keep winning.
If they are Ruckus members, they're guaranteed.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ElmCityRhody wrote:when I watched FGCU vs Wichita State- it seemed to me like we will have a lot of issues w/ FGCU size... they just seemed like they had 3 legit tall guys - i havent looked up their size.. but just by watching them we might have some match-up issues

the good thing is that i am often wrong.. so hopefully i am way off base on this as well !

let's get this win.. 8-3 would be a good start as we begin conference play

as i said.. OFTEN I AM WRONG !

RHODY HOOPS !

nice easy win and time for 2 ESPN interviews on TV..

way to finish off OOC boys !
0 x
Bri234u
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bri234u »

Greetings from Section 309!
It was awesome to see what this team looks like with a health EC. This is the team that we have all been hoping to see this season. The Rhody team we saw play last night would have defeated Alabama and given Virginia a better run. This team certainly has the potential to be one of the best teams in the history of our program. I think with a healthy, high performing EC we have a chance to sweep the A10. I am not predicting this but it is certainly a possibility. It is amazing to see how far Hurley has taken our program. We are finally at the stage where we expect our team to win just about every game. Fired up to be a Ram fan!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Overall great game as Rhody shooting came back!! The first 17 minutes of the first half looked like more of the recent same shooting woes and the low point came after a terrible missed lay-up by Cyril and FGCU, with a four point lead, now had possession and with the energy dissipating from the building, FGCU's Mercurios missed a 3 pointer that would have given them a 7 point lead. Then in the blink of an eye EC drilled a three pointer and the game's momentum shifted which energized the team and the crowd and the Ram shooting went from the low 30's to a complete game total of 48%. Now that was more like the team we expected.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i'm concerned about cyril.. he has hands of stone
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ElmCityRhody wrote:i'm concerned about cyril.. he has hands of stone
......bingo, I was just gonna say exactly this, transplant Andre’s hands to Cyril’s body......I guess we can make through the A-10 with him as is, but would like to see some eyeball improvement in this department......and Ryan Preston only walk-on time minutes......sometimes think he is thinking I came here for this amount of PT?......yes, injuried but even prior to that was expecting more....No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I thought yesterday was the first time we saw a formula that will work and is sustainable.

Starting 5 was great. Offensively, there are no major weaknesses with that lineup. All five guys can take advantage of a mismatch and you don’t have to hold your breath when a pass is made to one of them in a tough spot.

Defensively, the starting lineup is adequately sized at every position except for the PF spot. And the way Robinson has played, you won’t find too many PFs who can exploit that height mismatch.

And then you got Garrett and Fatts coming off the bench with instant energy and they can speed up the game with aggressive defense and transition play. And with them coming off the bench, they’ll either be going against tired first team guards or second team guards.

Big question is what to do when Berry is out of the game and we can’t score in transition. In those situations, I’d like to see the guards look to shoot in semi transition situations and Langevine’s role be to offensive rebound, an area in which he is better than Berry, as opposed to trying to execute a high pick and roll with Langevine.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i understand that hurley knows best about layssard but too bad he isnt good enough to give us some minutes

we need another big who can do things

i hope cyril improves but i literally cringe when he gets the ball within 2 feet of the hoop that he is going to bounce it off his knee or clank it off the backboard.. not to mention he has no shot anywhere away from 2 feet from the hoop

come on cyril - need you buddy - time to step it up
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I saw enough out of Cyril last year to give him the benefit of the doubt still at this point. I'm not sure if it's rust or he is just trying to do too much out there, but I still think we'll see big improvement from him as the season goes on and he gets back on track.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Cyril should catch and shoot with a turnaround shot or a hook shot or a dunk.....anything where he has to put the ball on the floor for more than one bounce should be forbidden....if one bounce can't get him a better shot he should kick it back out to the wing....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I've been pleased by Akele's play in a limited role. I think he gives energy on defense. At least enough to spell Langevine and Dre.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

100% on Cyril ball handling in post!!

Even when he doesn't dribble he brings the ball down. It's a high school power move that is extremely difficult to break. No question coaching staff is on it constantly. Very difficult to re tool that power move but it doesn't work in D 1.

Solid game. Ready for conference play!

Let's go Rhody!

Get us another title!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like Laysard when he is out there. Runs up and down the floor well. Has a little touch.

He follows the shots often by jumping to the rim, which indicates he is no stiff to me.

I bet if you throw Akele and Laysard right now on to another team, the coaches wont be so sure Akele is the one who should play all the time and Mike is the one who should never play.

I don't buy Preston is hurt. He looks fine.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yet another game where Akele provides nothing.

Literally did not do one positive thing.

11 minutes, zero points, zero rebounds, zero assists, zero blocks, zero steals.

Chipped in with two missed shots and one foul.

Why he continues to get minutes is beyond me.
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i tend to agree about Akele

missed that wide open 3 also
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Again, we had a new player step up this game (EC) with continued consistency from JT and Stan. Dowtin and his steadying presence was an added bonus as well. We've now had games where JT, EC, Stan, Fatts, Fatts/Jarvis, and Cyril have carried us. That speaks to our depth and our high ceiling if we're clicking.

The added length and spacing with EC is a plus. I'm not sure I can recall a game where EC and JT played as well together as they did last night...they seemed to feed off one another.

What I like about the team is that defense is still our calling card. The depth we have allows a relentless defensive attack and defense travels better - especially against inferior competition. We'll have some A10 tests. A lot more landmines than opportunities, but I think our veteran leadership should guide us to where we want to be.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I like Laysard when he is out there. Runs up and down the floor well. Has a little touch.

He follows the shots often by jumping to the rim, which indicates he is no stiff to me.

I bet if you throw Akele and Laysard right now on to another team, the coaches wont be so sure Akele is the one who should play all the time and Mike is the one who should never play.

I don't buy Preston is hurt. He looks fine.
I have brought it up before so no need to go into it in detail, but I like what I have seen in Mike Layssard. Runs the floor well, dunks the ball in warm ups with authority, catches the ball, rebounds well - from what I have seen
Not sure if Langevine is still hurt but last year and this year he continues to have trouble holding onto the ball down low, wants to dribble even when he does not need to, does not shoot the ball well inside and does not dunk the ball. I have to trust the Coaching staff on who plays and I will. Fact is that Stanford Robinson has really taken charge. He leads the team in rebounding, steals and is shooting well. He has taken minutes from Langevine and from Preston.

In warm-ups Preston likes to throw the ball against the backboard or do other fancy things to try to make highlight reel type dunks. I'd like to see him do more normal layups and take 10 to 15 foot shots in the warmups versus what he does. I know several thought he would be in the starting line up this season but not from what I have seen. Berry has been descent with his shooting, a bit surprising with his defense and shot blocking but his rebounding has not been as good as I thought it might. Best Big Man on the team this season to date has been Robinson - who would have thunk it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramster, my dude, you didn’t just say Layssard PT should be revisited based on how he looks in layup lines, how he jumps, and how he has performed against walk ons in garbage time? As they say on Sunday Countdown, c’mon mannnnnn
3 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

I'm sure another poster has touched on this at some point, but I think that EC missing time with his injury is a blessing rather than a curse. I think that the main negatives - damage to EC's potential draft stock & a loss to Bama - are offset by the benefits. The team learned how to function without him, especially on offense. Now, when he comes back, the team is much more lethal than it was before.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:Ramster, my dude, you didn’t just say Layssard PT should be revisited based on how he looks in layup lines, how he jumps, and how he has performed against walk ons in garbage time? As they say on Sunday Countdown, c’mon mannnnnn
Making me sound pretty stupid so let me try to not look so stupid and give you some of my reasoning and observations..........

I am one who felt from the beginning that losing Iverson and Martin would be very big shoes to fill. I still feel that way and feel that Robinson has stepped up more than any other player to fill the "big man" gap.

I think most everyone expected Langevine to fill one of those two slots. In fact, it has ended up being Berry with Robinson taking the other slot,,,,,after injuries to Langevine
Langevine's offense has not improved imho over last year. He does not hold the ball well, he dribbles when he does not need to and gets the ball stolen, he is not blocking shots, not rebounding as well as last year - I will give that to the injury for now but we will see a s A10 conference play evolves.

Several had Akele possibly going into a starting role. I thought he could possibly grab a spot over Berry, but he seems the same player as last year, maybe less. Seems too timid at this point - hopefully he gets going more.

Several thought Preston would by now have grabbed a starting big man role. I doubted this simply because he only started 4 games his senior year in JC, so seemed a reach he could step in on a Top 25 program. Again an injury has slowed him but jury is out. I'd like to see a better shooting touch but we will see. He has not shown to be the player some predicted he would be, A10 conference play will answer a lot of questions.

So for me the gap between Layssard and Berry, Langevine, Preston and Akele is not as big as I once imagined it would be.
Layssard has only played 20 minutes. He has hit 6 of 8 FG's in that time, run the floor well, caught the ball well, not overly dribbled, not turned the ball over, rebounded well. He looks good in the warm up drills while some players tend to just go through the motions and try to do acrobatic stuff vs really getting prepared for the game.

I love what Stanford Robinson has done this year. Who would have predicted back to back double doubles. He is our leading rebounder by far. Who would have predicted that. We are not 8-3 without Robinson stepping up.

Bottom line I would like to see Layssard get more of a chance. IF he does not cut it fine, but I have not seen him to be the boob, or red shirt candidate, or transfer candidate that others have seen him to be. I would give him a shot based on what I have seen of him and of what I have seen from some of his "competition". I also trust Dan Hurley to make the right decisions - over my opinion too, but I just would like to see Layssard more with my own eyes.

For that matter, posters were talking in the past year about Berry leaving the program or taking up space and not being a contributor, Then he becomes a starter. Very few, if any, predicted Berry to be a starter when last season ended.

And I am very concerned when we go with the 4 guard line up and Berry in the NCAA Tournament.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i echo the layssard sentiment..

i hafta believe there is a valid reason why he cannot get PT minutes instead of akele

having said that - i would like to see him given a chance WITH STARTERS on the court since i know what akele brings

granted its the old "put the backup QB into the game" mentality.. but i like to at least see it..
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Akele has been getting similar minutes for 3 years. Who knows why.

He used to hit his shots or miss them by a hair. IDK why he lost that.

Now he dribbles twice and pivots a few times before passing across the court.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I agree Ramster!
Despite Layssards little bit of playing time he really has looked pretty good.
Definitely not looking like a stiff.
Preston looks far more like a stiff at this point, but people seem to forget he held his own pretty well when Cyril was out.
A lot of these issues have to do with confidence.
Cyril made his first couple shots against Charleston and that gave him the confidence to play well the rest of the game.
Berry has really been solid.
I think part of the issue with getting the big guys going is that they haven't gotten that many looks because of all our guards.
Alas, Berry is the only one to prove that he knows what to do on offense.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote:i echo the layssard sentiment..

i hafta believe there is a valid reason why he cannot get PT minutes instead of akele

having said that - i would like to see him given a chance WITH STARTERS on the court since i know what akele brings

granted its the old "put the backup QB into the game" mentality.. but i like to at least see it..

I think Akele gets more minutes because of his defensive skill set. He can guard more positions. Does a very good job except for the dumb fouls.

If he can just hit one three a game that would be great. Just a couple of buckets. He can do it.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......Mike Layssard......unfortunately the sample size has been small in the OOC schedule......I was expecting more PT and not just walk-on type minutes......the problem now is that the seeing what he can do with starters or more minutes can’t be messed around with in the conference games......the coaches know what he can and cannot do......defense?.......regarding the Big Dance with four guards, we will dance with the girl that we are going there with; signature defense same player rotations as is, senior guards leading the way......first, let’s get there......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would like to see Preston get some minutes at least 10 per game he can help us
2 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Not sure what is going on with Preston. He was getting good minutes early in the year. He was in at garbage time yesterday. Something is up.
Berry and Cyril as our front court will not get us to a sweet sixteen run. We need a third. Or we need to develop someone to give us 10 minutes a game down low. Is laysard the answer?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

i doubt that Laysard is the answer. I think it's Preston but DH seems reluctant to use him . I think it's a trust issue
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Most coaches play their most experienced players.....Most college rotations are 8 or 9 players.

Hurley has, at the guard position, six quality players. Since Hurley has been here, he has never played more than three "bigs". This year is no different.

The college game has changed in the last few years, as a result of defensive speed and foul rules imposed on defense.
....Hurley's defense previously would funnel opponents into the paint toward "rim protectors".
....Now we emphasize denying lateral movement on the perimeter to disrupt passing lanes. One reason is that our "rim protectors" have not developed yet.

On the offensive side our guards are our most consistent scorers. With the exception of when Berry faces the basket, most interior scoring comes from the guards driving.......Look at Massey's College Ranking Comparisons, and go to Haslametrics.com.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......regarding Ryan, I thought he was brought here to provide some additional productive minutes off the bench.......not as an immediate plug in place for the loss of Hasson and KI, but to grow into the play at this level, develop a role and most importantly be a factor in the conference games......it seems he just never got comfortable on the floor, didn’t get enough minutes to develop that productive role......maybe it was the strength of the OOC teams.......maybe challenges to learn the defense......maybe, maybe,......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I agree on Ryan.

He did play some minutes in the exhibition game with Buffalo, and against Asheville,,,,,,I recall he had suffered some injury, and didn't dress for a few games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:.......regarding Ryan, I thought he was brought here to provide some additional productive minutes off the bench.......not as an immediate plug in place for the loss of Hasson and KI, but to grow into the play at this level, develop a role and most importantly be a factor in the conference games......it seems he just never got comfortable on the floor, didn’t get enough minutes to develop that productive role......maybe it was the strength of the OOC teams.......maybe challenges to learn the defense......maybe, maybe,......
Some had him "penciled into the starting line up before the season began. Would have surprised me just because he only started 4 games with his JC team, although a good JC team, URI is a Top 25 caliber team now.

Preston's Stats
His minutes played have been since first game to last:
He is 0-1 on threes and 1-4 on FTs. He has played 82 minutes, 23 points, 25 rebounds
Layssard has played 20 minutes, 13 points, 6 rebounds on 6-8 FGs and 1-2 FTs
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

https://www.facebook.com/GoRhodyRams/po ... 72578936:0

"Did you know that 70% of the crowd at Wednesday's Rhode Island vs. FGCU Men's basketball game arrived less than 20 minutes before tip off?"

Interesting stat, I've always thought we had a late arriving crowd
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Can you imagine if we could have got Juiston instead of Preston?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GansettSummer wrote:https://www.facebook.com/GoRhodyRams/po ... 72578936:0

"Did you know that 70% of the crowd at Wednesday's Rhode Island vs. FGCU Men's basketball game arrived less than 20 minutes before tip off?"

I was there prior to 6pm and I felt that the crowd was unusually high for that early so I am a bit surprised at the 70% number. I thought to myself that the crown is going to be bigger than I thought based on my 6pm observations - and it was at 5,300.

I would like to see them let people in more than an hour before game time, maybe 1 hour 15 minutes or 1.5 hours ahead. Maybe that would get people showing up sooner - even then late arrival people.

As the team gets better and better and the crowds get bigger and bigger then URI needs to look at how to improve the logistics of people handling and parking handling.

I'd go earlier than an hour before but I don't want to stand in the freezing cold and wind.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Can you imagine if we could have got Juiston instead of Preston?
Well we got Preston because we didn't get Juiston - wasn't like there was a choice and we grabbed the wrong guy.

Juiston would have been an awesome addition.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote:

I was there prior to 6pm and I felt that the crowd was unusually high for that early so I am a bit surprised at the 70% number. I thought to myself that the crown is going to be bigger than I thought based on my 6pm observations - and it was at 5,300.

I would like to see them let people in more than an hour before game time, maybe 1 hour 15 minutes or 1.5 hours ahead. Maybe that would get people showing up sooner - even then late arrival people.

As the team gets better and better and the crowds get bigger and bigger then URI needs to look at how to improve the logistics of people handling and parking handling.

I'd go earlier than an hour before but I don't want to stand in the freezing cold and wind.
With the sales of the $10 "be a student" tickets, the powers that be should really emphasize that the seats are GA and first come 1st served. Putting this idea out there would certainly get people in the building sooner.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram wrote:
ramster wrote:

With the sales of the $10 "be a student" tickets, the powers that be should really emphasize that the seats are GA and first come 1st served. Putting this idea out there would certainly get people in the building sooner.
Totally agree especially if you want the lower arena student seats
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

ramster wrote:

They open the lobby an 1.5hr before tip off and let people wait inside and go to Ram Zone if you want. Then at 1hr they open the turnstiles to the arena.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GansettSummer wrote:
ramster wrote:

They open the lobby an 1.5hr before tip off and let people wait inside and go to Ram Zone if you want. Then at 1hr they open the turnstiles to the arena.
Correct. But if letting them into the lobby then why not into the arena?
1 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

PeterRamTime wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:i echo the layssard sentiment..

I think Akele gets more minutes because of his defensive skill set. He can guard more positions. Does a very good job except for the dumb fouls.

If he can just hit one three a game that would be great. Just a couple of buckets. He can do it.

Here is a recap of Akele’s play during FGCU game

1st half
18:09 defending mid key with his man 20 feet away. His man receives cc pass at 3 point line. NA can’t close and his man hits.
During next minute he should have been called for 3seconds (maybe 5) but doesn't
16:50 rebound goes right through his hands. Th god Terrell grabs it
15;40 man drives cross lane by him for short hook off glass while NA Misses block
15:19 berry covers Doyle on perimeter who cuts to basket. NA defending no one in high paint can’t recover. Doyle blows by
14:50 drives from left to paint..won’t shoot..passes to JD who drives lane. NA probably 3sec... won’t fight for position on miss.
8:16 NA in paint 10 feet away from guy he is guarding... poor close...gives up 2 pt basket on turnaround
During next couple minutes continues to show tendency to work outside his man for rebound...won’t fight for inside position
5:50 misses 15 footer
5:27 NA defending middle of paint...pass goes over his head and arms to player on low block behind him from opposite high side. Slow reaction and lazy leap. His man made layup
4:56. NA misses 3 pointer left corner j

2nd half
Come in at 10:30 Mark
Set a good high ball screen for SR who scored
Not much else
Out at 8:22
In at garbage time 1:48
Nothing much

Not a good game for NA. Disappointing. Thought he had more upside after last year. He seems to be regressing. Ryan Preston and Mike Laysard have to get more minutes. They will be needed in conference play
2 x