2018-19 Current Season schedule discussion (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
urirx
ARD

Re: 2018-19 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by urirx »

I feel like this was not the reaction URI was hoping for when this got announced.

The field seems appropriate for URI next year as we bring up to speed the freshmen. St. Mary's TCU UNLV are all games that that we would of been excited for in a stand alone fashion

I will be interested to see how URI tries to capitalize on this, as I think it will be a tough sell to the fanbase, not because it was like the bad exempt tournaments of the past, but travel over xmas. I was working through other things during the NCAA last year so I had to watch on TV, but how did URI capitalize from the fan base with that cross country experience? (yes asking the Koch question but it is a good one)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Please exclude the Baron years from any discussion. Start at 1999 and work your way back.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:So that's today's big news. It's really good news that the program continues to get invited into these top tier exempt tournaments.

Does anyone remember the kinds of tournaments the Rams played prior to Hurley?

Top of the World Classic (NOT to be confused with Great Alaskan Shootout) where we lost to Troy but gained big wins vs the Nanooks of Alaska and the Gentlemen of Centenary.

Islander Invitation in Corpus Christi (Rhody was ranked #25 and that's the tournament we got into that year)

Not sure I would call it Top Tier, but a good tournament none the less. No Marquee names, and perhaps no Top 25 potential wins.
It's the Top Tier Christmas tournament. In fact, this year it's the ONLY Christmas tournament. Great exposure. As for top 25 potential wins. TCU is undefeated at #15 in the country now and has 4 players returning that average over 9.1 points per game, UNLV returns pretty much everyone, and St Mary's returns its top 5 scorers.

Again, I'm not sure we would have wanted the Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State's of the world early next year with the young roster we'll have. This, to me, is an IDEAL tournament.
If you ever get to see them play the Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State's of the world - and we all want that, don't we? ...it's going to be "early" isn't it?
Not sure how anyone could not want that? It's not like they're going to get a game against any of those teams in January or February....
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I wouldn’t shy away from those types of schools last year or this year but next year I’d prefer a game against a TCU/St Mary’s
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote:I wouldn’t shy away from those types of schools last year or this year but next year I’d prefer a game against a TCU/St Mary’s

That's fine. I agree. But don't hype this like some coup scheduling feat. Not that I'm saying you were hyping it, but many were.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......another step in building the program, brick by brick.......raising the national profile......good experience for the younger players coming aboard, moving up the bench position players, and finding the leadership roles and more playing time for others in the current rotations that will return......I give the field a solid.....meh....
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will we schedule a game out West prior to us going to Hawaii ???
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The more important factor here, beyond the top billing of the tournament, is the exposure. This tourney is the only thing on for college basketball at a time when people are all gathered around the TV.

It’s not ideal for the traveling fan, but in terms of providing a platform to further our national image...second to none.

Great job by Dan and Co.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting to have TCU - was also in the Cancun Tournament with URI, Maryland and Illinois State

It’s an outstanding opportunity for URI
Great for recruiting and don’t think this wasn’t in the sales package for this years group of recruits :D

RPI forecast today:
9 - TCU (11-0)
16 - URI (7-3)
55 - St Mary’s (10-2)
79 - Colorado (8-3)
120 - UNLV (10-2)
172 - Hawaii (5-2)
236 - Indiana State (3-7)
288 - UNC Charlotte (3-7)
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Anyone know what the dates of the games are? As much as I love Rhody bball I cannot see spending Christmas in Hawaii.......
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

eli#10 wrote:Anyone know what the dates of the games are? As much as I love Rhody bball I cannot see spending Christmas in Hawaii.......
It's in the 1st post in this topic ...
Diamond Head Classic at University of Hawaii December 22, 23, and 25
3 games vs. UNLV, TCU, Colorado, St. Mary's, Indiana State, Hawaii, and Charlotte
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s a perfect tournament.
Nice carrot hanging out there for a high performing 5th year or Top 100 espn Class of 2018 recruit who changes his mind due to Coaching change at end of this season

Dan Hurley has this program running on all cylinders - steadily getting better and better in all aspects
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Mary's is always good so I hope we get a game v them also
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

eli#10 wrote:Anyone know what the dates of the games are? As much as I love Rhody bball I cannot see spending Christmas in Hawaii.......
I look out my window and there's ice everywhere. It's getting to the point where I only want to spend Christmas in Hawaii
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote:St Mary's is always good so I hope we get a game v them also
It’s a bracket tournament so from a seeding standpoint there is a descent chance we would see a St Mary’s level team in the 2nd round or in the Championship Game.

I attached this year’s Btacket to show how it works and who is in the Tournament.

http://espnevents.com/diamond-head-clas ... l-Time.pdf
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Playing in the late December Diamond Head Classic allows URI the opportunity to be invited to an early season November tourney also. VCU has doe just that in recent years.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Obadiah wrote:Playing in the late December Diamond Head Classic allows URI the opportunity to be invited to an early season November tourney also. VCU has doe just that in recent years.
Are we sure about this? Thought it was one tournament per year?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: It’s not ideal for the traveling fan.
Hey not so fast there brother, it's just as easy as Brooklyn was for me! :lol:

I'm already planting the "Christmas in Hawaii" seed with the wife. We're off to a good start.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:
adam914 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Not saying this isn't a good tournament, but by no means is this earth shattering news. It's a non con tournament that is a step below the Seton Hall/Virginia tournament we had this year. And we have a top 25 recruiting class coming in.
Who said it was earth shattering?
The Birdman. Refer to the thread Big News is Forthcoming.
This is not the news Birdman was referring to.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

CT Rhody wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Playing in the late December Diamond Head Classic allows URI the opportunity to be invited to an early season November tourney also. VCU has doe just that in recent years.
Answered my own question, you can play in multiple tournaments, however it takes away home game opportunities. You get 27 games and 4 max tournament games to schedule or 29 games and zero tournament games. So I don’t see Dan playing four road games next year and two tournaments, actually by my math we can’t.

A-10 games: 18
Hawaii tournament: MTE exemption
Leaves 9 games to schedule OOC
We have 6 games locked in already so three left to schedule at this point with only 2 locked in at home to date. I would fully expect the remaining 3 will be added as home games unless an unreal opportunity presents itself. Oh and one game at Mohegan if this potential rumor is true so two games left to schedule, def both home games.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

CT Rhody wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Answered my own question, you can play in multiple tournaments, however it takes away home game opportunities. You get 27 games and 4 max tournament games to schedule or 29 games and zero tournament games. So I don’t see Dan playing four road games next year and two tournaments, actually by my math we can’t.

We have 6 games locked in already so three left to schedule at this point with only 2 locked in at home to date. I would fully expect the remaining 3 will be added as home games unless an unreal opportunity presents itself. Oh and one game at Mohegan if this potential rumor is true so two games left to schedule, def both home games.
With this breakdown and assuming the Mohegan game happens, that would only leave 13 games at the RC- 3 less than this season.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode Warriors
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

CT Rhody wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:

Doesn't that come to 30 games - 18 A-10 + 3 in Hawaii + 9 OOC?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:

It does, the MTE could do 4 games max so with three in Hawaii, would the tournament provide us with a home game against a mid major? That would add another home game to our schedule.

I also wonder if they might think about buying Brown out for another home game next year. Or seeing if they could move it to the Civic Center and allow URI to grab revenue from its own ticket base. If this game was the Wednesday before the Sat PC game, might help out guys get accustomed to the arena before that game. Food for thought.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
Obadiah wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:

It does, the MTE could do 4 games max so with three in Hawaii, would the tournament provide us with a home game against a mid major? That would add another home game to our schedule.

I also wonder if they might think about buying Brown out for another home game next year. Or seeing if they could move it to the Civic Center and allow URI to grab revenue from its own ticket base. If this game was the Wednesday before the Sat PC game, might help out guys get accustomed to the arena before that game. Food for thought.
CT Rhody

In the Diamond Head Classic there is this non-bracketed game that was played on Dec 19th
- Non-Bracketed Game(s): Princeton at USC (Dec. 19)

Sounds like possibly URI could play St Mary's in next year's tournament out there? or could TCU play St Mary's?

Just sounds like an extra game that was maybe thrown in just to get USC or Princeton or both to participate in this Diamond Head Classisc

I included the current RPIs for next season's teams selected for 2018 and also current RPIs for this season's teams
RPI 2018 Teams - next season with current RPIs
9 - TCU (11-0)
16 - URI (7-3)
55 - St Mary’s (10-2)
79 - Colorado (8-3)
120 - UNLV (10-2)
172 - Hawaii (5-2)

RPI 2017 Teams - this season with current RPIs
29 - New Mexico State
32 - Middle Tennessee State
40 - Miami
48 - USC
146 - Princeton

186 - Davidson
194 - Hawaii
241 - Akron

Seems to me a decent shot for URI to be invited to play an additional game outside of the Tournament Structure as Princeton and USC did this year - maybe????
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Obadiah wrote:

CT Rhody

In the Diamond Head Classic there is this non-bracketed game that was played on Dec 19th

Sounds like possibly URI could play St Mary's in next year's tournament out there? or could TCU play St Mary's?

Just sounds like an extra game that was maybe thrown in just to get USC or Princeton or both to participate in this Diamond Head Classisc

I included the current RPIs for next season's teams selected for 2018 and also current RPIs for this season's teams
9 - TCU (11-0)
16 - URI (7-3)
55 - St Mary’s (10-2)
79 - Colorado (8-3)
120 - UNLV (10-2)
172 - Hawaii (5-2)

29 - New Mexico State
40 - Miami
48 - USC
146 - Princeton

186 - Davidson
194 - Hawaii
241 - Akron

Seems to me a decent shot for URI to be invited to play an additional game outside of the Tournament Structure as Princeton and USC did this year - maybe????
Ramster, nice find on this. So you’re thinking the 4th allowed game or the nonbracketed game as some call it could even be a road game against another high major type opponent? That would be interesting. Would imagine URI would prefer the home game or at least a substantial payout to play the 4th game away from home.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:

CT Rhody

9 - TCU (11-0)
16 - URI (7-3)
55 - St Mary’s (10-2)
79 - Colorado (8-3)
120 - UNLV (10-2)
172 - Hawaii (5-2)

29 - New Mexico State
40 - Miami
48 - USC
146 - Princeton

186 - Davidson
194 - Hawaii
241 - Akron

Ramster, nice find on this. So you’re thinking the 4th allowed game or the nonbracketed game as some call it could even be a road game against another high major type opponent? That would be interesting. Would imagine URI would prefer the home game or at least a substantial payout to play the 4th game away from home.
Who the hell is going to pay URI(a top 25 type team) to play them at home????? Delusional.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody

9 - TCU (11-0)
16 - URI (7-3)
55 - St Mary’s (10-2)
79 - Colorado (8-3)
120 - UNLV (10-2)
172 - Hawaii (5-2)

29 - New Mexico State
40 - Miami
48 - USC
146 - Princeton

186 - Davidson
194 - Hawaii
241 - Akron

Who the hell is going to pay URI(a top 25 type team) to play them at home????? Delusional.
Blueram your confusing me. Who would pay URI to play them at home? Is that a serious question? Have you ever heard of buy games in college basketball?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
theblueram wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Blueram your confusing me. Who would pay URI to play them at home? Is that a serious question? Have you ever heard of buy games in college basketball?
You are seriously saying someone would pay us for a game? I've heard it all now. This guy must be a pc troll. But maybe pc can pay us next year to play them. Nothing better than taking money from that ill repute institution.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
theblueram wrote:
You are seriously saying someone would pay us for a game? I've heard it all now. This guy must be a pc troll. But maybe pc can pay us next year to play them. Nothing better than taking money from that ill repute institution.
Mods - Looks like somebody might of hacked into Bluerams account, might want to disable it for now.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I'm going to have to agree with blueram on this one. Buy games are for the Liberty U and Grambling States of D1 so that blue bloods can tune up against them. It's actually a good thing that URI is not in that category.

Nobody will pay URI for the honor of coming in and possibly beating them on their home court (which has too high of a likelihood for a team to pay for that).
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote:I'm going to have to agree with blueram on this one. Buy games are for the Liberty U and Grambling States of D1 so that blue bloods can tune up against them. It's actually a good thing that URI is not in that category.

Nobody will pay URI for the honor of coming in and possibly beating them on their home court (which has too high of a likelihood for a team to pay for that).
Guys, this is a fact. Teams would easily pay us to come to their building. Dan chooses not to since big time programs don’t get bought out. This isn’t opinion, this is a fact. That’s like saying we wouldn’t pay a good program to come to our building, of course we would if we could afford it. Other good programs coming in sell tickets, it’s what all programs want.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyKyle wrote:I'm going to have to agree with blueram on this one. Buy games are for the Liberty U and Grambling States of D1 so that blue bloods can tune up against them. It's actually a good thing that URI is not in that category.

I would love it if we got Liberty to pay to play us.
They have plenty of money since they're the biggest christian university in the world...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:

CT Rhody

9 - TCU (11-0)
16 - URI (7-3)
55 - St Mary’s (10-2)
79 - Colorado (8-3)
120 - UNLV (10-2)
172 - Hawaii (5-2)

29 - New Mexico State
40 - Miami
48 - USC
146 - Princeton

186 - Davidson
194 - Hawaii
241 - Akron

CTRhody,

What I mean to point out is that Princeton played at USC in a non bracketed game. The two teams could end up playing in Hawaii in the official bracket.
Fact that Princeton must travel cross country anyway to get to Hawaii ( most flights to Hawaii go through LAX) then for a relatively low vost Princeton can drop in st USC shuck is close to LAX.

This game is officially a Non-bracketed game in the Diamond Head Classic. My point is that URI could also possibly get a similar game. For all I know maybe they already have arranged such a game in the negotiations to participate in the Diamond Head. I don’t think this has anything to do with buy out games - only part of the Tournament itself negotiations
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
theblueram wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Mods - Looks like somebody might of hacked into Bluerams account, might want to disable it for now.
sorry for calling you a pc troll. Jamesons takes the blame. but we are not Bryant who gets paid to play games. But if we could get paid to play at Duke or Michigan State, then we should by all means take those games. Just don't think it would happen.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody

9 - TCU (11-0)
16 - URI (7-3)
55 - St Mary’s (10-2)
79 - Colorado (8-3)
120 - UNLV (10-2)
172 - Hawaii (5-2)

29 - New Mexico State
40 - Miami
48 - USC
146 - Princeton

186 - Davidson
194 - Hawaii
241 - Akron

CTRhody,

What I mean to point out is that Princeton played at USC in a non bracketed game. The two teams could end up playing in Hawaii in the official bracket.
Fact that Princeton must travel cross country anyway to get to Hawaii ( most flights to Hawaii go through LAX) then for a relatively low vost Princeton can drop in st USC shuck is close to LAX.

This game is officially a Non-bracketed game in the Diamond Head Classic. My point is that URI could also possibly get a similar game. For all I know maybe they already have arranged such a game in the negotiations to participate in the Diamond Head. I don’t think this has anything to do with buy out games - only part of the Tournament itself negotiations
Ramster - Don’t you think if URI would play a road game on their way out to Hawaii that they would ask for either a return game the following year or a few to plan on the road in what would amount to a buy game? Dan said he doesn’t do buy games since his program won’t be bought out so a return game would sound more likely. Tournament or not, if it’s bit a neutral site than URI would ask for a return game at least. Just my opinion on the situation though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
CTRhody,

Ramster - Don’t you think if URI would play a road game on their way out to Hawaii that they would ask for either a return game the following year or a few to plan on the road in what would amount to a buy game? Dan said he doesn’t do buy games since his program won’t be bought out so a return game would sound more likely. Tournament or not, if it’s bit a neutral site than URI would ask for a return game at least. Just my opinion on the situation though.
I honestly don’t know. Seems that a home - Home with St Mary’s would be an excellent arrangement for both schools. I’m not sure what, if anything, Princeton is getting in return for playing the USC game.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CTRhody,

I honestly don’t know. Seems that a home - Home with St Mary’s would be an excellent arrangement for both schools. I’m not sure what, if anything, Princeton is getting in return for playing the USC game.
Agreed that a home and home with St Mary’s would be an excellent arrangement for both parties. Maybe Bobby with some of his new PAC-12 contacts can help us snag a home and home with some of those schools. One can hope right!
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rhodysurf wrote:
I know I'm 4 days late, but hot damn this is awesome!!!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......according to Asst. Coach Moore, in his talk in the Alumni Loinge pre-game, the WVU game is at Mohegan Sun.....when asked why? He mentioned the clout of their program and league.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:......according to Asst. Coach Moore, in his talk in the Alumni Loinge pre-game, the WVU game is at Mohegan Sun.....when asked why? He mentioned the clout of their program and league.....
GRRRRR.!!!!!! History, man, history. smh
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:
section(105) wrote:......according to Asst. Coach Moore, in his talk in the Alumni Loinge pre-game, the WVU game is at Mohegan Sun.....when asked why? He mentioned the clout of their program and league.....
GRRRRR.!!!!!! History, man, history. smh
So serious question here. In your opinion, should things that happened 30 years ago have more weight in our scheduling decisions then what it means for the team and its tournament chances in the current year it is scheduled?

If we were to miss the tournament because our schedule wasn't strong enough, and Hurley responded by saying "yeah but this team was a rival in the same conference 30 years ago so we couldn't play them" would that be an acceptable response for you?
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since Tom Moore said something, I guess it's no longer a secret. Our home game is and always has been at the Mohegan and it will be part of the season ticket package. The question has been where the game would be played when we go to WV. I wonder if that was the holdup? I don't know if any of that information has changed, but that's what I knew. Waiting to sign papers before announcing. If Moore said something, I'm thinking it's now finalized?
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We really have to stop dwelling on this Gavitt/Catlett stuff from the 80's. Agree 100% Adam.
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Was that during today’s pregame?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

CT Rhody wrote:
Was that during today’s pregame?
....yes
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow this is fantastic news to play WVU 2 straight years . I am pumped !!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Since Tom Moore said something, I guess it's no longer a secret. Our home game is and always has been at the Mohegan and it will be part of the season ticket package. The question has been where the game would be played when we go to WV. I wonder if that was the holdup? I don't know if any of that information has changed, but that's what I knew. Waiting to sign papers before announcing. If Moore said something, I'm thinking it's now finalized?
This actually makes me pretty mad. Don’t you think WVU fans are going to assume The Ryan Center isnt good enough now? Maybe I’m overreacting but this is BS. If we want to hold ourselves to a higher standard, we can’t rent out another arena just because we’re playing a bigger program when we have a high class facility that needs to be shown off on a national stage as much as possible. Plus the atmosphere from our fans will Be night and day comparing the Ryan and Mohegan.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Since Tom Moore said something, I guess it's no longer a secret. Our home game is and always has been at the Mohegan and it will be part of the season ticket package. The question has been where the game would be played when we go to WV. I wonder if that was the holdup? I don't know if any of that information has changed, but that's what I knew. Waiting to sign papers before announcing. If Moore said something, I'm thinking it's now finalized?
This actually makes me pretty mad. Don’t you think WVU fans are going to assume The Ryan Center isnt good enough now? Maybe I’m overreacting but this is BS. If we want to hold ourselves to a higher standard, we can’t rent out another arena just because we’re playing a bigger program when we have a high class facility that needs to be shown off on a national stage as much as possible. Plus the atmosphere from our fans will Be night and day comparing the Ryan and Mohegan.
How is scheduling 2 games against a perennial top 15 program NOT holding ourselves to a higher standard? I also recall a hell of an atmosphere against cincy. Mohegan will be great for us. Beer in the seats means lubed up fans.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hey is WVU losing a lot of players for next year ??
0 x