Projo Fairness

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Projo Fairness

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RAM67 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Here's what I don't get re: Koch, and the vitriol for him.

I'm not sure what everyone's goals are for this basketball program, but mine has and will always be: national relevance.

There are many different paths to that goal, but along the way: winning, program investments, winning, nationally televised games against big opponents, winning those games, national press releases, consistent March basketball in the NCAAT, winning.

I swear I think most of this board only cares about being better than Providence. Like legitimately, I think there is a significant amount of posters (and elderly cow people that make up a large percentage of our fan base), who would be THRILLED if we were 1-30, while PC were 0-31. Nothing else matters in the world than being better than a middle-of-the-pack Big East team.

I think that's a shitty goal, and fool's gold. Thankfully I know others, mainly the coach and AD of our program, have higher goals.

When you get to a certain level of success, you shouldn't want "yes" men all around you providing you an echo chamber for your comfortable thoughts. You should seek out opinions based in an objective reality of the world around you, and not get stuck in the platitudes of basing every standard of this basketball program off of either itself, or basketball in South County RI.

I very much enjoy reading the objective opinion that Bill provides. He didn't go to URI, isn't a die hard URI fan, and doesn't get caught up in the peaks and valleys (Everest to Mariana's Trench on this board) that fans do.

It's wild - this board has a habit of every single loss thread going pages and pages longer than any win. Every big win is explained away as a fluke or we got lucky - but every loss means we suck and we can't go dancing and the world is ending - kinda like everyone forgot that last year happened and it's still 2012.

God forbid an "outsider" has the gall to say something *GASP* critical of the basketball program based on the perspective of the sports world at large, not based on our traditionally not-ready-for-the-bigtime program. It's totally OK for everyone on here to shit all over the program after a loss in a way that isn't correlative to our overall performance, but the second someone else offers a perspective that forcing thinking outside of a 30 minute drive away, they're a pariah.

I love Disano, he's a phenomenal writer. He's also a fan. He provides an amazing perspective for us in that sense. I just don't understand why people want to read the same exact perspective in different language.

Understand how lucky we are to have a beat reporter who is going to give us facts painted in a national context, instead of just rooting for us because we want to only read good words about the program.

The damn South County echo chamber is why Jim Baron was able to coast for 12 years and drive us into the ground. I'll take the "think big" approach, thankyouverymuch.
its pretty simple Blue.

People care because we are competing for the same people for fans. Getting more and better press and being better than PC means more butts in the seats.

Additionally most people in RI get their news from the Projo. If our own beat writer cant be bothered to care enough to write positive pieces about the team, what does that say to non die hards we are trying to win over? Why are they gonna care or start following URI if our beat writer and by extension the Projo makes it sound like following this team is a chore.

Like it or not, part of Koch's job is to be a mouth piece/cheerleader for the program and to do his best to show it in a good light. He instead chooses to be a condescending, pompous prick and harp on non stories to bash our fan base. You really cant see how that is holding back any efforts to grow the fan base??

Had a couple from RI visit my retail establishment in SE MA Saturday, and the man was wearing a PC sweatshirt. I asked if he was a big PC fan, and he replied yes, as he was from RI. I told him I was originally from Providence, but was a URI grad and a season ticket holder. He replied that he also was a URI grad, but rooted for PC because they had a better basketball program. I reminded him that we just beat them last week and have been the better team the last couple of years. The look of confusion on his face as he muttered something like "oh yeah", just hammered home the lack of respect shown to our State U, especially by one of our own grads. This is something I had heard from others on this board, but never witnessed myself. Just hammers home the PC bias at the Projo.
How do you know he even reads the ProJo? Did you sell him a paper?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Sorry but I'm the furthest thing from sensitive, just not feeling as lucky as you are that a person that gets paid to cover URI, actually covers URI.
Since this is a reply to me I will dare you to find 1 post I have ever made wanting to jump off the ledge after a loss, I am the biggest DH fan there could be so you got the wrong guy. I have been close to this program for 30 years, the 4k die hards are not the issue, yet that is who he directs most of his criticism. WOW a year ago he wrote 1 paragraph lightly insinuating that some of the onus is on the state and the school. YIPPEEE that's real pulitzer prize winning cutting journalism right there. He weekly takes shots at the core fan base...weekly.
Please point to one instance where he's criticizing the people in attendance. He's using his platform to tell people not going they should be going.

And he clearly hates URI, the Ryan Center, and URI fans:

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:the fact that he chooses to do it in a negative way.

he says things like 'only XXXX showed up', 'disappointing lack of support', etc.

Instead of 'very entertaining team to see in person', 'fans are missing out on a great show/great time', 'come support the Rams'

big difference in tone.
That big difference in tone is quite literally the difference between journalism and marketing/public relations. What you want him to do might literally be the biggest issue in this country today. People don't look for news, people look for public relations pieces that match their viewpoint and claim that marketing is news.
Agree with your take on the state of news and the impact that is having on information consumption, but would you agree that (1) sports, travel, food and pop culture reporting probably poses less of a threat in this area than reporting on more policy-focused and "hard news" reporting, (2) most reporting in the domain of college sports across the country is done with at least some measure of pro-team bias and therefore not having that puts URI at some sort of disadvantage in cultivating support, and (3) that the difference between the two types of examples DPS gave is not the difference between journalism and marketing/PR, but rather the difference between good publicity and bad publicity?

I continue to say, I do not want nor expect Bill Koch to use his platform to cheerlead for URI, but I would appreciate it he did not use that platform to troll and undermine. Why is it OK to go onto twitter and goad the fan base about attendance but it wouldn't be OK to encourage the fan base to show up? Assuming you see a difference, what is the difference in your view?
1. Absolutely, I would agree.
2. I can't speak to how teams are covered elsewhere, good, bad or other. And frankly I don't see Bill Koch as being nearly as negative as people are saying. I think people are reading in way too much to what he's saying. He says attendance is disappointing, that becomes a widely held belief on this board that he's insulting the people that were in the building instead of making a remark that is aimed at people not attending. That's a leap you shouldn't even be able to make if you were shot out of a cannon. And I think people are criticizing him for how we were covered in the past, which is irrelevant to how he should be viewed.
3. Totally disagree, I stand by my opinion that he wants Bill Koch to market the program. Look at the three phrases he used. Those, or close variations, wouldn't be out of place in an ad URI took out trying to sell tickets. That's not Bill's job and it shouldn't be.

I honestly don't see a major difference. The difference is far more in people's heads here then it exists in the comments themselves. When he says attendance is disappointing, it's a statement of fact. It's disappointing to the administration who structured Dan's contract in a way where they bet increased attendance would pay for the higher salary necessary to keep him. It's disappointing to Dan who knows that more people means a bigger home court advantage which leads to more wins. And that that's revenue lost in improving everything around the program. It's disappointing to the players who want to feel the support of the fan base. And it's disappointing to fans like me that we can't have the type of environment we should be part of.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:PK was much better.
Not even close. That might be a function that Bill has more tools at his disposal, such as Twitter, but PK's coverage of URI wasn't nearly as comprehensive as Bill's. Also I'd point out the Bill has come on this message board to talk with fans and offered to talk with fans in person, while PK never engaged fans on the old message board hosted by the newspaper he worked for.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:That is likely a "value add" to a large print/digital ad buy by the Friars with Projo. Not sure if we have the same type of spend with Projo to warrant something similar. I would assume not.
Also I'm sure if our athletic department wanted to just give tickets to the ProJo to distribute they would as well.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I swear I think most of this board only cares about being better than Providence. Like legitimately, I think there is a significant amount of posters (and elderly cow people that make up a large percentage of our fan base), who would be THRILLED if we were 1-30, while PC were 0-31. Nothing else matters in the world than being better than a middle-of-the-pack Big East team.
You're goddamned right we'd be thrilled. Back in the 1980s, Al McGuire wrote (or at least his byline appeared atop) a piece in Inside Sports magazine in which he outlined what it takes to be a dynasty school. At the top of the list? You must be THE program in your state. That's why beating that hideous, disgusting institution on the site of a former mental hospital is so important.

The Providence College Journal has been shitting on URI for as long as I've been paying attention (back to the mid-70s). That Rosenberg thing 74 linked to was a bunch of mealy-mouthed, superficial, platitudinous vacuity.
This is such a shitty attitude for a URI fan to have. 1-30, so one of the worst teams in the whole sport, but as long as we beat PC you'd be thrilled? This is what people talk about when they say hate PC more than love URI, because that attitude is not reflective of a real fan of any team. You can leave the we out of your first sentence, you sure as hell don't speak for me with this garbage.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

SIX POSTS IN A ROW?
Are you married to Koch?
Do you work for Projo?
You are so far over the top, it's scary
that you feel obliged to answer everyone
who doesn;t like Koch or Projo, but seem
eager to damn our fanbase.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I was busy yesterday and a lot of dumb comments or comments that I felt needed clarification were made in that time. And one thoughtful post from TruePoint that could lead to an interesting discussion. I do find it funny that a guy with 13,000+ posts is saying someone else posts too much though. I mean can anyone that posts as much as you or I claim people post too much?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

In my five years here and however many at Projo's site,
I never posted SIX TIMES IN A ROW.
I never felt I was obliged to answer every post I disagreed with in a thread.
By your limp logic, I should have come home after weeks in the hospital,
and answered every post I didn't like.
Unless YOU are being personally attacked, what you've done here
is excessive by any measure.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Holy crap ... I apologize for the shitstorm I inadvertently started.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Please point to one instance where he's criticizing the people in attendance. He's using his platform to tell people not going they should be going.
Just curious, and this isn't directed directly at you, RR02, but to anyone. What percentage of people do you think are big enough URI fans to follow their beat reporter on Twitter but not big enough to bother going to games? I guess my take is that I do think Bill's attendance criticisms are fair. But when he lobs them on Twitter, they're not reaching the proper audience.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Please point to one instance where he's criticizing the people in attendance. He's using his platform to tell people not going they should be going.
Just curious, and this isn't directed directly at you, RR02, but to anyone. What percentage of people do you think are big enough URI fans to follow their beat reporter on Twitter but not big enough to bother going to games? I guess my take is that I do think Bill's attendance criticisms are fair. But when he lobs them on Twitter, they're not reaching the proper audience.
I think it's different because Bill doesn't do just URI. He's ProJo's primary high school reporter and PawSox reporter as best as I can tell and while he primarily covers URI he does cover the other three local colleges. While I don't know how many people follow him for PawSox and other colleges, I assume that a good amount of people follow him for his high school coverage.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

To RR02.
In reference to your comment about my anecdote, I was referring to a trend that started long before Bill Koch. I have been a fan since I was a teenager back in the early 60's, and have witnessed the apathy towards URI basketball for nearly 60 years, and I can honestly say, from my perspective it emanates from the Projo. The bigger point though, was the disappointment that a URI grad would be a fan of PC over URI. For an individual to get to that point, I would have to guess he was influenced by the local media coverage and at his age I would also have to guess it was a newspaper.
Instead of your childish response,
"How do you know he even reads the ProJo? Did you sell him a paper? ", you should be more concerned as to how this man got to this point, and how do we change it.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RAM67 wrote:To RR02.
In reference to your comment about my anecdote, I was referring to a trend that started long before Bill Koch. I have been a fan since I was a teenager back in the early 60's, and have witnessed the apathy towards URI basketball for nearly 60 years, and I can honestly say, from my perspective it emanates from the Projo. The bigger point though, was the disappointment that a URI grad would be a fan of PC over URI. For an individual to get to that point, I would have to guess he was influenced by the local media coverage and at his age I would also have to guess it was a newspaper.
"How do you know he even reads the ProJo? Did you sell him a paper? ", you should be more concerned as to how this man got to this point, and how do we change it.
And how do we change it? By beating the Fryizz like an old rug every year.

Win and the world wins with you, lose and you lose alone.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RAM67 wrote:To RR02.
We older fans have continually seen it and lived it and yet our validity is still questioned by some younger fans.
4 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Amen^
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am (still, barely) a "younger" fan, and I think the issue is real. I was also brought up on the history - my father is the same age group as billy and others, and he grew up going rooting for URI because my grandfather is also an alum and a former Rhody football player.

I get the contrarian thing that RR02 and Blue Man - two of our best posters and fans - are doing here, because sometimes our fans can be a little bit hysterical. I have taken issue with some fans' tendency to go off the negativity deep end and have been pretty aggressive in calling out that attitude - often pissing people off and getting some pretty heated rhetoric sent back my way. In the case of how URI is treated by its own state, though, our fans have a legitimate gripe and ignoring the role that the media has played in that treatment is not helpful. I can accept the idea that it goes way beyond Bill Koch and he shouldn't be held accountable for things that went on at the paper before he was there or things that go on at the paper that he doesn't control, but the way he covers URI has to viewed in the larger context of how the paper has historically treated the entire university, especially its sports teams.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote:Holy crap ... I apologize for the shitstorm I inadvertently started.
No need...it's good time-fill til Saturday :lol:
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: We older fans have continually seen it and lived it and yet our validity is still questioned by some younger fans.
Maybe in a twisted sort of way it might be good that the younger fans don't feel the same PC and PCJournal hate that we do.

Beat PC regularly and keep doing what we have been doing and problem solved. Really it has always been the solution. We've had spurts of huge success but haven't sustained it since the 40's. There is hope that this run is sustainable.

I'll hang on to my PC hate tho thx for a while yet.

Go Rhody
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I don't get all the hatred for the Projo here. It's the Providence Journal not the Rhode Island Journal. I would expect it to be partisan. I lived in Boston for 18 years. The Globe and Herald gave preferential coverage to BC over UMASS. My guess is the Louisville Courier-Journal is partial to the Cardinals over UK. I really don't see how it is the Projo's job to level the playing field between the two schools.

The state house is a different story. If there is to be any partisanship there it should be on the side of the state school and I would understand any vitriol spewed for a state proclamation wishing PC luck and ignoring URI.

Full disclosure: I grew up in Westerly. When I first started watching college basketball there were three channels and channel 10 picked up many of the PC games. My parents didn't go to college and the only time I saw URI play was against PC. So, like many other RI'ers with no specific affiliation to either school, I was a PC fan...Ernie D, Marvin, Stacom, Hassett, etc. I went to URI in the early 80s. I admittedly (but in retrospect, not proudly) was a PC fan then as well. I always rooted for URI...just not against PC. The basketball team was horrible and the football team was getting all the glory. That changed in '88. From then on I've been an avid URI fan. I've had season tix on and off. Lived in Boston for 18 years and did the Civic Center package when we played a half dozen games there. Moved back to CT 2 years ago and have had season tix since. Not 100% sure who Blue Man is, but if it is who I think it is, I sit about 5 rows behind him in 205. I'm still a passive Friar fan. By passive, I mean I'll check their scores and watch the end of their games. Otherwise I bleed Keaney Blue. I don't read any PC bulletin boards. I only where RI apparel. When I read the journal, I only read the URI section so if there is a partiality, I don't see it. And honestly don't care. When I was at the game last week I groaned with every call that went against us and cheered happily when things went our way. URI basketball gets me through the winter.

I understand that most URI fans do not feel the same way as myself (especially younger fans that had the opportunity to watch URI games on TV before they got to campus). I get that many hear hate PC. I do also for that 1 day. But I'm in agreement with RR02. It seems a number of you on here care more about PC losing than URI winning and that I don't get at all. Somebody posted earlier they would rather see PC lose even if that loss correlated directly with URI not making the tourney. That is beyond my comprehension. To each his own...
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My solution......shut up and win......
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ramulous wrote:My solution......shut up and win......
.......have not used this yet this year.......win the next one.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRam86 wrote: Not 100% sure who Blue Man is, but if it is who I think it is, I sit about 5 rows behind him in 205.
EC jersey? Standing? Yelling? Angry? Smack in the middle of 205? That's me.

I promise I'm nicer in person, say hi!!
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I can confirm he's nice in person. Though we're fellow Kool Aid drinkers, so...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Makes great egg sandwiches at basketball tailgates as well.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Speaking of "wich"...isn't the Bonnies game on the 13th at 11am...? I mean, what says 'tailgate' more than an 11 am tip-off on a Saturday in the middle of January?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Speaking of "wich"...isn't the Bonnies game on the 13th at 11am...? I mean, what says 'tailgate' more than an 11 am tip-off on a Saturday in the middle of January?
Count me in if one happens.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I talk about the attendance issue in this week's podcast. Give it a listen.
I think overall Bill does a very good job covering the team. Much better than PK! As others have said it's not his job to promote or cheerlead.
I disagree with him on attendance. He took a small sample, the Brown game, and tried to make a big point: URI fans don't support their team. Truth is this will be a record-setting season for attendance.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:I talk about the attendance issue in this week's podcast. Give it a listen.
I think overall Bill does a very good job covering the team. Much better than PK! As others have said it's not his job to promote or cheerlead.
I disagree with him on attendance. He took a small sample, the Brown game, and tried to make a big point: URI fans don't support their team. Truth is this will be a record-setting season for attendance.
Agree...I think this could be a record setter as well...proud to be part of it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:
Section104 wrote:
Sidenote, did PROJO have coverage at our Nevada and Alabama games this year?

URI Games not in Kingston
It would appear that the Projo did not send an employee to either of URI's two true road games. Bill Koch wrote a small piece on the Nevada game but it did not list Reno as the origin and was light on content. I got the impression he wrote the piece based on viewing it from afar and not in person. The Projo used a paid stringer for the Alabama game. Koch did go to Brooklyn and wrote the articles for the two games there.

PC games not in Providence
It seems no stringers have been used for Friar games as the the Projo has had a staff member at EVERY game - home, away, and neutral site. McNamara did the two NYC games. Koch, McNamara, and Reynolds were at the PC-URI game. Koch went out to the UMass game (I would assume McNamara had a conflict) and wrote the Friar perspective post game article. The games in Kingston, Amherst, and NYC (which did not require much travel) are the only games PC has played outside Providence.

If the Projo is basing coverage on their travel expenses, it would seem that many conference games for both programs will not have the beat writer at them. Time will tell if the same standards are equally applied.

Update:
The Providence Journal did not send a reporter they employ to the PC Big East Conference game versus Creighton in Omaha, NE yesterday. They instead used a stringer. It, by my count, was the first Friar game this year that was not covered by either McNamara or Koch. It was also the first time PC played a longer distance than its three games in NYC.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
Section104 wrote:
Sidenote, did PROJO have coverage at our Nevada and Alabama games this year?

URI Games not in Kingston
It would appear that the Projo did not send an employee to either of URI's two true road games. Bill Koch wrote a small piece on the Nevada game but it did not list Reno as the origin and was light on content. I got the impression he wrote the piece based on viewing it from afar and not in person. The Projo used a paid stringer for the Alabama game. Koch did go to Brooklyn and wrote the articles for the two games there.

PC games not in Providence
It seems no stringers have been used for Friar games as the the Projo has had a staff member at EVERY game - home, away, and neutral site. McNamara did the two NYC games. Koch, McNamara, and Reynolds were at the PC-URI game. Koch went out to the UMass game (I would assume McNamara had a conflict) and wrote the Friar perspective post game article. The games in Kingston, Amherst, and NYC (which did not require much travel) are the only games PC has played outside Providence.

If the Projo is basing coverage on their travel expenses, it would seem that many conference games for both programs will not have the beat writer at them. Time will tell if the same standards are equally applied.

Update:
The Providence Journal did not send a reporter they employ to the PC Big East Conference game versus Creighton in Omaha, NE yesterday. They instead used a stringer. It, by my count, was the first Friar game this year that was not covered by either McNamara or Koch. It was also the first time PC played a longer distance than its three games in NYC.
This post will be conveniently ignored because it doesn’t fit the narrative that Bill is a PC homer and the journal is giving unequal or undeserving coverage to either side.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

There is a crazy guy on Twitter who thinks Koch is a URI homer.....
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

First off, I'm sad that I'm reading posts from ROD that are only two weeks old, I'll miss him every KeaneyBlue day of my life. It's, on a level, making it hard for me to engage with the board about things, but there are sooo many awesome people and discussions here I just want to thank everybody for being a part of this part of my life. Happy New Year, All Year, KeaneyBlue!!!!

As to how I see proJo fairness, some columnists will just never be unbiased about it, some, like Koch, are a bit better than others, not always great, but better and in my experience it's way better than it used to be. I think at this point it's almost a non-topic in my concerns about the program. I believe the national sports media will get it, if we are able to keep the ball rolling and continue to craft the "brand", keep DH, Cox, etc. around, keep the big time recruiting up, there's no stopping the KeaneyBlue tide from coming in. It's 2018 we don't need the projo, they are just another source and those whom consider it foremost are aging out.

I think maybe some of us who remember how bad it was in the past won't be happy unless the pendulum swings hard in URI's favor in terms of biased local coverage. I get it, I still read some of the tenner of projo coverage as negative when it's URI, it's there in some cases and not in others. My argument is, who cares? We are going to be soooo much bigger than all that, the KeaneyBlue wave is going to sweep out the trash!!!
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Koch currently going viral for this. Thank him for his service.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

He is a friar homer.....I mean a Ram homer....
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One of the most preposterous tweets I have seen in my life.
1 x
Go Rhody
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I've never paid attention to favoritism by the ProJo reporters, since their job is to be objective. Quite frankly, I think Bill Koch is a much better reporter than Kevin McNamara, who never seems to put in the time necessary to do the job properly. Now that his time is even more divided, he's worse than ever.
Brendan McGair from the Pawtucket Times/Woonsocket Call is a much better reporter on the Friars than McNamara. He reaches out to people besides those he runs into when researches a story, and has more detail than any local shorts reporter.
Regarding coverage of road games, I'll be surprised if the ProJo covers and games not within driving distance, until the NCAA tournament. They are becoming less and less relevant all the time.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Did the Projo capitulate on the pc season and hand the budget over to URI? Looking forward to Bill's report on GW.
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Ramulous wrote:He is a friar homer.....I mean a Ram homer....

Maybe our coverage would improve if we just bought these journalists a cup of coffee.
Heaven knows they never get freebies.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ramulous wrote:He is a friar homer.....I mean a Ram homer....
This was a joke related to a Twitter exchange. Ramulous is virtually always in full sarcasm mode.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......according to Reynolds today in his column, Dan has done everything we wanted him to do everything else is frosting.....seriuosly?.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote:.......according to Reynolds today in his column, Dan has done everything we wanted him to do everything else is frosting.....seriuosly?.......
What a horse's @ss. We're happy with what he's doing, but we won't be satisfied until we replace that hideous, disgusting institution in a former mental hospital as THE program in the state.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
section(105) wrote:.......according to Reynolds today in his column, Dan has done everything we wanted him to do everything else is frosting.....seriuosly?.......
What a horse's @ss. We're happy with what he's doing, but we won't be satisfied until we replace that hideous, disgusting institution in a former mental hospital as THE program in the state.
Wheeereeee have I heard that phrase before....?
Oh that's right...here...maybe a few dozen hundred times....
I know I can be repetitive, but geeeeeezzz.......
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In the printed version of today's projo pc gets a bolded headline because they are trying to get back on track. URI doesn't because they are looking to go 3-0 in A-10.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

They'll always just think of us as "a nice little program."
That hasn't changed in 40 years.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Seriously who the fuck cares what PC or their fans think about us?

Jesus Christ go on scout Friars or something.

Are things so good here that the only thing some people can bitch about is the perception of URI from Friar fans??

I guess that’s the only good to come out of all these crap posts.

Holy shit you all think so small time.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not the perception of friar fans Blueman, but the perception of the state.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote:In the printed version of today's projo pc gets a bolded headline because they are trying to get back on track. URI doesn't because they are looking to go 3-0 in A-10.

Well they are also playing a top 5 team at home.
We are playing a mediocre GW team on the road.

They have the more interesting game.
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

A single newspaper doesn't make or break a program.

We are getting much more coverage from other media outlets. Our budding fanbase is not former PC fans.
0 x