12/6 | Alabama Crimson Tide | 8:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: 12/6 | Alabama Crimson Tide | 8:00PM

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Shinze88 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
rhody12 wrote:I’m not going to complain about the game. We sucked..end of story. Forget about it and move on.

But..what the f does Cyril think he’s going to do when he gets the ball in the post position and then makes himself the size of a point guard lowering his shoulder and putting the ball on the ground and getting in the worst position stuck under the rim? It happens time and time again it’s pathetic to watch.
Cyril isn’t good. We projected him to be good off of one game last year (Oregon).
I'm not ready to give up on him yet, I think he's not fully healthy, he also had a great game last year against Cincinnati, he has the tools to be a good serviceable big for us, especially in the A10
Agreed. I think he’ll figure it out. He hasn’t been healthy. I’m more concerned about Dowtin. Terrible out there.
0 x
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

Shinze88 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
rhody12 wrote:I’m not going to complain about the game. We sucked..end of story. Forget about it and move on.

But..what the f does Cyril think he’s going to do when he gets the ball in the post position and then makes himself the size of a point guard lowering his shoulder and putting the ball on the ground and getting in the worst position stuck under the rim? It happens time and time again it’s pathetic to watch.
Cyril isn’t good. We projected him to be good off of one game last year (Oregon).
I'm not ready to give up on him yet, I think he's not fully healthy, he also had a great game last year against Cincinnati, he has the tools to be a good serviceable big for us, especially in the A10
I didn’t say give up on him..he’s just far from where he finished the year last year. No injury forces him into the putting his shoulder in the chest of a defender and making himself the size of a PG in the paint. That’s just bad offensive basketball and he’s done it time and time again.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steviep123 wrote:We're on to the College of Charleston...TP, can you start the threat? ;)

(It's going to be a long 10 days off!)
The OG of game threads, Native, is on CofC duty.

Anyone else that wants to take a crack at one, I have a template! Truthfully I am buried at work right now so I could use some help.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:

This is not a good take. The guy was excellent for basically the entire second half of the year, starting from when Hassan went down. If he had "hit the open market" after last season, even before the Oregon game, he'd have been one of the most sought after sophomores in the country. He is playing through a freaking sports hernia. He can barely move. He's been basically useless this year, but it has very little to do with his talent and almost everything to do with his health.
9 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Same type of game, same result. This might as well be the Valpo loss, Nebraska loss, Georgia Tech loss, etc...

We can look at the macro...
- Size disadvantage (my wife who is not a hoops guru said "Their guys are bigger than yours")
- Wasted possessions
- Questionable game plan (Why not fill the paint with ML and Tertsea and force them to make shots? And since we weren't going inside on offense anyway, it would have at least created more offensive rebound opportunities. I'm not saying it would have worked but at least try it.)

We can look at the macro...
- I hate to pick on Jeff but the missed FT's were brutal and in big spots. And a few of his misses were very bad shots that immediately led to points on the other end.
- JT foul trouble was a killer, we needed him.
- Akele not even squaring up from 3 when no one was within 10 feet of him. No confidence right now.
- CL missing the front end of a 1 and 1.

Some positives (I'm searching)..:

- Fatts had a pretty bad first half but didn't go into the tank like a lot of young players tend to do.

Obviously this team dearly misses KI and Hassan but shit, they'd greatly benefit from an Earl Watson.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

This is not a good take. The guy was excellent for basically the entire second half of the year, starting from when Hassan went down. If he had "hit the open market" after last season, even before the Oregon game, he'd have been one of the most sought after sophomores in the country. He is playing through a freaking sports hernia. He can barely move. He's been basically useless this year, but it has very little to do with his talent and almost everything to do with his health.
Listen to Dan’s interview on Monday. He said that Cyril’s injury had nothing to do with his lack of playing time in PC game. He said he is just not playing well. Taking your reason (sports herina) - what is going to change the rest of the year? He isn’t having surgery. So “this year’s” Cyril is not going to be anywhere near the player that was projected before the season. Your comment “one of the most sought after sophomores in the country” is laughable. Go take a look at the top sophmorores in the country.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Everyone is on Dowtin. He had a really bad game. He hasn’t had a really bad season.
He played poorly against Nevada also.
There are a lot of players who played poorly against Nevada and Bama.
He played a really good game vs PC.
Before tonight Dowtin was shooting 42% and his Ast/TO was 4.3 to 1.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not mad, but I am disappointed. Easily winnable game and we played (I hope) our worst game of the year. Just a completely frustrating night.

My biggest concern here is that I just don't think Alabam is very good after watching them. I think of the "big 5" teams on the OOC schedule, they turned out to be by far the weakest and losing this game may turn out to be a blemish rather than a nothing.

After the five games, I'd rank them UVA, Nevada, Seton Hall, PC, Alabama, FWIW.
You can be disappointed but I would never say any game is "easily winnable." Perhaps URI thought the game against Fordham last year was "easily winnable." If a player or team has the mindset that a game should be "easily winnable," then they're asking for trouble. If they don't bring maximum effort, attention to detail, and execution, then they will lose.

Don't believe me? Florida's game vs. Loyola tonight was "easily winnable" for the Gators, right? Notre Dame's game vs. Ball State was easily winnable for the Irish?

Winning is hard, especially at the highest levels. That's what makes what the Patriots do even more remarkable. (They make it look easy.)

Disappointed in the loss, yes certainly. Expected, yes too.

(Personal insult coming from True Point in 3...2...1...)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The thing that's most disappointing is Dowtins shooting 2-11 and his free throw misses , he needs to shoot better on his mid range pull ups and open 3s , he is getting the looks just missing

We just really can't count on Berry vs decent P5 teams can't go scoreless here

Wouldn't mind seeing Preston get a little more time if he can stay out of foul trouble he is so darn athletic

Hopefully these 10 days off get Cyril a bit more healthy
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I'm not mad, but I am disappointed. Easily winnable game and we played (I hope) our worst game of the year. Just a completely frustrating night.

My biggest concern here is that I just don't think Alabam is very good after watching them. I think of the "big 5" teams on the OOC schedule, they turned out to be by far the weakest and losing this game may turn out to be a blemish rather than a nothing.

After the five games, I'd rank them UVA, Nevada, Seton Hall, PC, Alabama, FWIW.
You can be disappointed but I would never say any game is "easily winnable." Perhaps URI thought the game against Fordham last year was "easily winnable." If a player or team has the mindset that a game should be "easily winnable," then they're asking for trouble. If they don't bring maximum effort, attention to detail, and execution, then they will lose.

Don't believe me? Florida's game vs. Loyola tonight was "easily winnable" for the Gators, right? Notre Dame's game vs. Ball State was easily winnable for the Irish?

Winning is hard, especially at the highest levels. That's what makes what the Patriots do even more remarkable. (They make it look easy.)

Disappointed in the loss, yes certainly. Expected, yes too.

(Personal insult coming from True Point in 3...2...1...)
I was referring specifically to the way the game was played. Even a mediocre effort would have won the game. Not only all of the missed shots, which can happen, but the number of times that they shots themselves in the foot. I doubt that you watched the game, but this was a game that even a slightly below average performance by URI would have resulted in a pretty comfortable win.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Listen to Dan’s interview on Monday. He said that Cyril’s injury had nothing to do with his lack of playing time in PC game. He said he is just not playing well. Taking your reason (sports herina) - what is going to change the rest of the year? He isn’t having surgery. So “this year’s” Cyril is not going to be anywhere near the player that was projected before the season. Your comment “one of the most sought after sophomores in the country” is laughable. Go take a look at the top sophmorores in the country.
I don’t know any other way to say this, but you should not believe everything coaches say. You can tell by watching him move that he is not healthy. If this year’s sophomore class were re-recruited, he’d have been easily a top-100 player and possibly a top-50 player. There are a lot of good sophomores, but there are a lot of teams, also. You make the statement that the guy isn’t that good and you lose your privilege to call other statements laughable. If you watched last year, you know he is good, and that’s based on more than one game. I don’t know if he’ll be healthy at some point this year or not, but that really has nothing to do with my point.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Top- 50?????
I'll have whatever you're smoking.
Everyone knows he has bad hands,
which is damning for a post player.
Plus, he showed very little offensive ability.
I'm with '83 on this one.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good. You're wrong, though.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I can deal with a loss but my goodness when we lose do we play sooooo bad.
How could we play so well against Seton hall and shit the bed against Bama like that?
How can you just continue to shoot yourself in the foot over and over.
The only reason they couldn't pull away is because our defense is so good it makes you look bad, but our offensive has rarely been anything special under dan Hurley. We just have such a hard time being consistent. So much hero ball. Everybody is guilty of it and Dowtin is the worst at it, especially against teams who have size and are athletic.

Jared Terrell barley touched the ball all night. He barley played, but even when he was out there it was Dowtin pounding the ball and shooting ugly fadaways and contested layups.

Our best offnense is when we run it through Berry.
Jared Terrell comes off screens set by Berry and he rolls to the basket. I didn't really see any of that.

Our defense provided us with everything we needed to win that game.

Hope the guys get a good rest. The toughest part of the regular season is over.

Time to go on a really long win streak and figure out some consistency.

Also. Play Fatts more Dowtin less at the point. Especially if Jeff is struggling. Maybe dan keeps him in for D, but man can he really hurt the offense when he has an off night. I know Fatts forces things too much sometimes, but I'd rather him do that than Dowtin.
I do like Dowtin, but I think he just needs to figure out when to pull it back when he doesn't have it.

Maybe Cyril can get himself going against these weaker opponents. Get with Berry and practice a hook shot.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah you just can't have your PG with these bad shooting nights 2-11 is brutal JD is best when he is beating his guy and getting layups we don't need him taking outside shots we have too many good outside shooters better than him

As for Cyril let's just hope he heals after these 10 days off we really need his defense and rebounding, hopefully he can at least make a layup on offense
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

mstyles22 wrote:- Akele not even squaring up from 3 when no one was within 10 feet of him. No confidence right now.
I for one am shocked Akele's confidence might be shot right now. With how warmly he's treated in home games you'd think it would be through the roof :roll:
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I have no issues with this loss. If they can win their next 3, which they should, they'll be 8-3 heading into conference play and well positioned to get an at large berth if for some reason they don't win the conference tournament.

That's not to say I'm not disappointed as obviously this was a winnable game. But big picture, this one shouldn't hurt.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Winnable game where they didn't shoot the ball well. Move on. If someone has the time to look this up, I think this is a valuable stat. How many minutes did Stan play in all 3 losses? I know he has been in foul trouble in the Va. and Alabama game not sure about the Nevada game.

We are on to Final Exams and then College of Charleston.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

That was a game where missing EC hurts. When the offense just can't get started, having him out there would have been huge. Plus he draws attention from defenses giving more space to Terrell and Stan to do their thing.

JD will be fine - little sophomore slump to be expected. Same with Cyril.

I am not worried about the fouls when it comes post season time, refs in tournament play tend to swallow the whistle a lot more. It's these non-conference away games where we get screwed with our aggressive D.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

On the road all night and couldn't watch the game.....

Observations from reading this thread....

Not surprising about the FT disparity...when we're on the road away from the Northeast we get hosed every time.

Our lack of inside game is a major problem....

Too much jump shooting and not enough going to the basket.....

Too many guys had bad games....again Fatts and JG were our best players.

Just another close OOC loss on the road to a good team, although not as good as Nevada.....

We will go only as far as our shooting takes us. When it's on, we're tough to beat. Otherwise.....

Someday we have to start winning these types of games.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Flat out their length completely bothered us.
It took our guys 15-20 minutes of game action to get mildly comfortable. Similar thing happened in VCU v Texas game night before. A10 guys simply aren’t used to playing teams with length like that on perimeter and wings. Hands and arms in passing lanes they usually aren’t, heads above the rim in ways they usually aren’t. Every guard that penetrated paint in first half acted scared and timid trying to find a shot, due to their length. Led to putrid shooting and difficult shots.

This was one of those 10% of our games where the lack of interior presence was a huge Achilles heel. Cyril has to find himself or we are screwed. Maybe Preston can come along - against teams like that people like Berry, Akele are exposed due to lack of athleticism and strength. Anyone suggesting Tertsea and Layssard like some panacea are ridiculous. They can’t dominate Brown and you want to throw them in against an NBA sized team?
Cyril and even Ryan can play with guys like that, I believe, but not the way they are performing now.
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Here's some figures on the FT disparity to show the point.

Games away from the Northeast:

Nevada: 44 fta, RI: 18 fta (-26)
Alabama: 39 fta, RI: 11 fta (-28)

On average we took 27 less FT per game in those 2 for a total difference of -54

Games in the Northeast:

PC: 21 fta, RI: 23 fta (+2)
SH: 16 fta, RI: 17 fta (+1)
UVA: 22 fta, RI 14 fta (-8)

On average we took 1.7 less FT per game in those 3 games for a total difference of -5

Are you going to tell me we played ANY different on defense or offense in any of those 5 games? The numbers are jarring, against the same level of opponent the location of the game causes a wild swing in FT attempts. Its tough not to call it a significant factor in the outcome considering Nevada and Bama were both 1 possession games.

Its a joke that those 2 games are the most FT we've given up by 17 and 22 respectively.

Not saying its the only reason we lost those 2 games, but it damn sure if a major reason
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, completely correct....Cyril and Preston imo are the key to the season.

If Cyril's health issue is going to bother him all season....we are screwed.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Forget the offensive end. Cyril was always a top notch rebounder last year since the moment Hurley started playing him pretty much. It's GOT to be something to do with his injury because it hardly makes sense that he would suck at rebounding this year all of a sudden.

Also his picks look noticeably more tentative and less effective also.

We don't need him to do more on offense then hit put backs and occasional open looks down low.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I have a feeling we're stuck with an ineffective Cyril for the rest of the season.....surgery would take too long to recover from I guess.

If Dan has no choice but to play a 50% Cyril over the others.....bad state of affairs.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Cyril a Top 50 sophomore if his class was recruited again?

I mean come on now, that is flat out ridiculous.

Also I don’t know why anyone is shocked we lost.

Another tough, OOC road game against a solid opponent that ends with a loss.

It happens 99% of the time.

Time to win these next three OOC game and blitz through the A10.
2 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree, 15.
And they say Red Sox fans overrate their players.
A win vs. Alabama would have had us ranked for the
entire season, assuming we take care of
business in the A-10.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Agree, 15.
And they say Red Sox fans overrate their players.
A win vs. Alabama would have had us ranked for the
entire season, assuming we take care of
business in the A-10.
I get the frustration, but I think opinions on Cyril are getting too extreme in both directions.

We all really need to take his performance to date this year with a big grain of salt.

A groin injury is very tough to recover from. It takes away all of your explosiveness jumping, running and kills your lateral quickness. It's almost certainly why he looks like he's playing in slow motion compared to last year.

It's similar to Hassan's thigh injury last year. When he came back he wasn't the same player for a bit either. He was slower, couldn't leap like normal and looked mortal.

Its frustrating, but Cyril just needs time to get fully healthy and get his athletic abilities back.

Good news is EC is back and we did what we needed to do in the OOC in regards to the at large resume. Just win the next 3 and take care of business in conference play. Same way Temple used to do when they were in the A10. Schedule a brutal OOC, enter conference play with 3-5 losses and run through the conference.
1 x
---
---
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the result.

There won't be too many nights where the entire team is that ice cold shooting. There was some poor shot selection in the first half but just about everyone was just plain OFF.

The foul differential in comparison to shots attempted was disgusting. These OOC road officials kill us every. single. time. It was also evident to me that the early foul trouble interrupted the ability of some of our players to even settle into the game flow and also threw off the rotations.

Despite all that and being completely outsized/killed on the boards - it was a one possession game at the wire.

The defensive effort was fantastic, we continue to force teams to double the amount of turnovers they average and the team never once backed down even when Bama answered every mini-run we went on.

The outcome sucks, the shooting performance was downright UGLY - but I am in no way concerned about this team. It was a bad night on the road against a top 50 team. On to the next one.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Cyril has a sports hernia, why does anyone think it's going to get better while he continues to play?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea thats two games where I've never seen that good of defense by ANY team. The Rams forced 24 turnovers, after forcing 21 vs pc, thats incredible. Have to finish at the whole though.
0 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With EC out, the burden has been on Terrell's back, and after great games against Nevada, HC,and Seton Hall, he has disappeared in the last four games which have been marked by poor shooting ex the Brown game. In his last two games, for example, his FG line was 6-24, and 1-11 on 3-pointers. With a better Terrell we would have easily beaten PC by ten plus and edged Alabama despite the foul discrepancy.

We have a good team, but not a special team as we struggle to offset the loss of Iverson and Martin. With 30% of the season gone, we still have time to change that scenario, but we need better from Cyril and Berry to accomplish that. And what are the odds that happens??
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's not overlook the great game that JG had. If he continues his great play the rest of the season watch out!

The mistake last night on offense was driving to the hoop too much against defenders that were too tall, quick and athletic. We should have tried more mid-range jump shots. The good news is we won't face another team with this length and athleticism the rest of the year until NCAA tournament time.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The 10 days off until Charleston will help Cyril.....but will it be enough to enable him to play at a higher level for the rest of the season?

Hernias do not go away with rest.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote:With EC out, the burden has been on Terrell's back, and after great games against Nevada, HC,and Seton Hall, he has disappeared in the last four games which have been marked by poor shooting ex the Brown game. In his last two games, for example, his FG line was 6-24, and 1-11 on 3-pointers. With a better Terrell we would have easily beaten PC by ten plus and edged Alabama despite the foul discrepancy.

We have a good team, but not a special team as we struggle to offset the loss of Iverson and Martin. With 30% of the season gone, we still have time to change that scenario, but we need better from Cyril and Berry to accomplish that. And what are the odds that happens??
you do realize that teams dont change and adapt to new line ups overnight, right?

It takes TIME to gel as a team and build the identity for that season.

Example, Bill Belichick has stated he doesn't know much about his teams until midseason.

“Midseason to me is always about the time where I think you kind of know what you have," Belichick said. "September, I think we’re all trying to figure out a little bit. You go into the season thinking one thing and then after you play three or four games, a lot of time you’re not as good at some things as you thought you were or maybe you’re better at some other things than you might have thought you were. Maybe some guys are performing higher, some guys lower, whatever. It takes a little while to find that equilibrium."
0 x
---
---
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I actually like what I see from Preston but he continues to foul every time he’s out there. We need him to play smarter defense.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I just watched a four minute Youtube video of the game highlights.

.....Their interior players were far more athletic than ours. Higher skill level with their footwork/positioning. Rim protectors as well.

.....Our backcourt player's held their own on both ends of the court, with the exception of the first eight minutes.

Yet we made a game of it the last eight minutes.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ultimately I look at this game with a positive spin.

shoot 35%
outrebounded by 19
took 28 less FT than they did
on the road

99% of the time those stats = 20+ pt blow out loss

instead, we were in it to the last second. That is a very good sign. Good teams find ways to give themselves a chance to win on off nights.
6 x
---
---
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Here's some figures on the FT disparity to show the point.

Games in the Northeast:

On average we took 1.7 less FT per game in those 3 games for a total difference of -5

Are you going to tell me we played ANY different on defense or offense in any of those 5 games? The numbers are jarring, against the same level of opponent the location of the game causes a wild swing in FT attempts. Its tough not to call it a significant factor in the outcome considering Nevada and Bama were both 1 possession games.

Its a joke that those 2 games are the most FT we've given up by 17 and 22 respectively.

Not saying its the only reason we lost those 2 games, but it damn sure if a major reason
If you watched those two games you notice that URI is significantly smaller than their opponent and struggled with the length. None of the other teams posed the type of challenge Alabama and Nevada did (size/matchup wise)
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Here's some figures on the FT disparity to show the point.

Games in the Northeast:

If you watched those two games you notice that URI is significantly smaller than their opponent and struggled with the length. None of the other teams posed the type of challenge Alabama and Nevada did (size/matchup wise)
well Sunshine, i did watch the games.

You're gonna tell me Bama and Nevada are bigger than Seton Hall? Delgado is the best player we've played against. PC is also a bigger team than either of the other 2.

We also hold a speed advantage against those bigger teams, which leads to more fouls in our favor as they cant keep up and reach in.
0 x
---
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Despite how poorly we played Jarvis Garrett (who played great) had a wide open 3 pointer to tie it in the last 30 seconds.
When we play those few teams like Bama where our interior deficiencies get exposed it will be critical to get superlative play from our back court.
We got that against Seton Hall (Terrell 32 points and red hot from outside), vs PC (Fatts 20 pts off the bench, Garrett good game). Last night we simply did not get that from anyone beyond Garrett. Jared struggled, Dowtin was awful, Stan was off. We won't beat those types of teams without a great shooting night from our back court plain and simple.

Also, Bama posed athleticism even Seton Hall and PC don't have...PC didn't have perimeter players with that length, Delgado is not nearly as explosive as that Hall kid last night (though much more skilled). Our guys were not afraid to go to the hoop against SHU or PC or Nevada, last night we were timid. Their size bothered us. As others have said, luckily we won't face that again until NCAAs. By that time have to hope Cyril and/or Ryan are ready to be consistent contributors. Those 2 will have the most say in how high our ceiling is.

In the meantime our defensive pressure is gonna run roughshod over the A10 IMO.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:

Games in the Northeast:

well Sunshine, i did watch the games.

You're gonna tell me Bama and Nevada are bigger than Seton Hall? Delgado is the best player we've played against. PC is also a bigger team than either of the other 2.

We also hold a speed advantage against those bigger teams, which leads to more fouls in our favor as they cant keep up and reach in.
Bama was longer than Seton Hall. I've physically been within a combined 15 feet of seeing those teams play. It's not all about height. It's about wing span. We were cut off and denied every lane to the basket our guys tried to drive. Bama did a great job keeping us at the perimeter and not allowing cross-court passes. Jeff, Jarvis, and Fatts had to reset almost every shot clot to get a clear read on movement and passing lanes. The foul calling didn't help as we had most of our roster at 3+ for the majority of the second half and that affected how aggressive we could try to contest and drive in the paint.

When you have an athletically gifted, left-handed, 6-5 guard who get get to the hole and score on your roster, and said player isn't in your lineup against long teams - that will cause you issues.

Without EC, you are depending on Jarvis 6'0 (lol), Fatts 5'10 (LOLOL), Jeff and Jared at 6'3 to handle the ball for you. That shouldn't be a difficult math equation. Couple that with the foul calling and you don't have anyone who is going to have an easy time driving and dishing from the 3 point line on in - like EC can do. I know there are people who like to debate how good EC is (not sure why) but the one UNDENIABLE thing EC is better at than just about anyone in the country - is driving into the lane and scoring. What he could've brought to the court last night wins us the game running away.

Bama threw out guards at 6'5, 6'5, 6'7 and 6'3 Collin Sexton - who when he was hurt was replaced by 6'7 Herbert Jones. That's an awful matchup for us without our tallest and best driving guard.

I refuse to take away negatives from this game. We just survived a stretch without our prohibitive A10 POY candidate - went 4-2 with wins over a top 20 team, our archrival, and losses on neutral and road courts to a top 15 team and a top 25 team.

I don't even want to get into how the Nevada and Bama games were officiated, but I refuse to buy into the notion that anyone can rationalize any basketball game having free throw disparities of 11-39 and 18-44 as being called fair. The fact that both of those were close, winnable games that we just missed shots in, makes me not worried about neutral court games in March. Dan's teams always get better. Not worried at all.

We shot like ASSHOLE, and still had a chance to win. I'd rather we play like shit against a great team in the OOC and lose a game that won't hurt us, rather than drop a stinker to a Fordham, Duquesne, or crap opponent.

Can't wait to get EC back and let everyone get reminded of what we've been missing the last month. Ya jackalopes.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Cyril a Top 50 sophomore if his class was recruited again?

I mean come on now, that is flat out ridiculous.

Also I don’t know why anyone is shocked we lost.

Another tough, OOC road game against a solid opponent that ends with a loss.

It happens 99% of the time.

Time to win these next three OOC game and blitz through the A10.
I said top-100, and I think that is right. I said possibly top-50, which I think a month ago I'd have got more co-signers on but people are now retroactively changing their opinions because the guy has gotten off to a slow start.

Last year, starting with the ODU game where he was first really relied upon, in games where he played more than 10 minutes (there were 17 such games - more than half the season) he averaged more than 15 rebounds per 40 minutes. That is a great rebounding rate for a freshman playing in meaningful games in a competitive conference. He was never going to be an elite post scorer, and I thought as the year went on he improved his offensive game significantly, but mainly the expectation was that he was going to be rebounding force and a defensive presence in the middle.

His rebounding rate this year is barely half of what it was last year. I think you're crazy if you know that the guy has been trying to play through a painful medical issue and don't think that has anything to with that dramatic dropoff in performance. I don't know if he will play all year at 50%, or if it will get worse or get better, or if having the surgery is an option. I only know that we have shown we are still capable of playing with good teams with no Cyril or a hobbled Cyril, but we would be in a much better position to win those games with a healthy Cyril. Everyone should be hoping he gets back to close to full health, not deriding him and saying he sucks anyways while he is trying to gut it out.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Billyboy78 wrote:If Cyril has a sports hernia, why does anyone think it's going to get better while he continues to play?
I mentioned this a week ago but I doubt Langevine will be completely healthy for the rest of the season. Hurley probably won't say much publicly about him being injured but I bet when the season is over he'll say something about Langevine only playing at 80% or less the entire season.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Does anyone know why Berry only played 16 minutes? Injury? Something else?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, Bluue Man, but if you think
EC handling the ball is a plus, I'd have to
totally disagree.
Five years and he still dribbles up to his chin,
making him an easy mark to turn it over.
He's has had 7 turnovers in a few games, which is
unacceptable.

As for Berry, unlike PC, Bama had their bigs running the floor
all night, constantly beating Berry downcourt,
while he was in the game.
Berry is fine in games where running bigs
aren't an issue.
When the whole floor is wide open,
he becomes a liability of defense.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Playing all guards turns it into a high wire act. Especially down a guard.

Frustrating year so far. Left some W’s out there already.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry, Bluue Man, but if you think
EC handling the ball is a plus, I'd have to
totally disagree.
Five years and he still dribbles up to his chin,
making him an easy mark to turn it over.
He's has had 7 turnovers in a few games, which is
unacceptable.
I would agree that the ballhandling aspect of his game is a weaker point, but as far as taking it to the rim and scoring, I think that's his strongest. I think there's a difference. EC dribbling outside and trying to conduct the offense isn't what we needed last night, but EC off the ball to slash and score/create would've given us the game.

Having him out there would've absolutely opened up the inside and forced bama to step away from the rim.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

FYI for anyone getting stuttering/lost connections when trying to watch the Rams or other streams on their Computer/Console/Smart TV ect via wifi.

Consider looking at a Powerline Network adapter for $20-$80 bucks. You just plug in an adapter near your streaming device of choice and viola you now have a wired connection that should eliminate almost all issues that seem to inevitably come with wifi. It may sound complex but it's something anyone can set up in less then two minutes. I just got this model for myself after my usually great wifi kept switching last night.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Maybe some posters didn't notice, but we caused A LOT of turnovers last night and didn't capitalize on the fast break time after time. The one player we have on this roster who excels at finishing on the fast break is EC Matthews. We needed someone like him last night more than any game we have played this year.

Let's stop downplaying what EC Matthews does for this team.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING