12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by TruePoint »

University of Rhode Island vs. Providence College
Thomas M. Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, December 2, 2017
5:00PM (CBSSN)

Media

TV/Stream: CBSSN

Radio:
101.5 (URI)
103.7 (PC)

Previews:

Vegas:

Opponent

Record:
6-1, 0-0 in the Big East
Away: 0-0
Last season: 20-13, 10-8 in the Big East

Rankings:
RPI (expected): 28 (37)
BPI: 29
KenPom: 35

Leaders:
Points - Rodney Bullock, 15.0
Rebounds - Rodney Bullock, 6.3
Assists - Kyron Cartwright, 7.0

Last Five (5-0)
Rider, W 88-84
BC, W 86-66
Belmont, W 66-65
Saint Louis, W 90-63
Washington, W 77-70

Preview

I hate PC. You hate PC. God hates PC.

Please do not lose to PC, again.

Look, this PC team is without their best big man, senior Emmit Holt, who they recently announced will not be back until January. They have a roster with a lot of promising young players who URI will have to deal with for the next several years, but their leading contributors are seniors: forward Rodney Bullock and guards Kyron Cartwright and Jalen Lindsey. Along with sophomore guard Alpha Diallo, these guys are responsible for carrying the load in terms of minutes, points, rebounding and ball handling. The fifth starter has been another sophomore, forward Kalif Young.

There are two things you really have to know about this year's Friars. The first is that they can really shoot. As a team, the Friars are shooting 47% from three; four guys have taken double digit threes, and all are shooting it at 47.6% or better. Bullock, Cartwright and Lindsey have taken the most, and they are shooting 48%, 47.8% and 60%, respectively. That is really good. Fortunately, URI has traditionally defended three well, chasing shooters off the line and closing out rotations to challenge shots. It seems like they may not be built to defend the three quite as well as they have in the past because without Hassan Martin in the middle to protect the rim there is a limit to how aggressively they can challenge shots on the perimeter. It will be interesting to see whether URI can hold PC significantly below their season average from deep - we will probably have to in order to win the game.

The second thing to know is that they are big, even without Holt. They are led by Cartwright, and at 5-11 he is in the mold of the prototype waterbug PC point guard going back to the Abdul Abdullahs , God Shamgods and John Linehans. But he is surrounded with good size - the other four starters are all 6-7 or taller, and nobody getting significant minutes is smaller than 6-3. Unfortunately, this is an area that URI fans have a lot of concern about their team: how well will the interior defense hold up, and will we be able to rebound. Still, despite their size, PC is being slightly outrebounded on the season (216-214) and have lost the rebounding battle in half of their games. By comparison, URI has slightly outrebounded its opponents (191-189), and have lost the rebounding battle twice - the two games played without Langevine in Brooklyn (we were severely outrebounded by Seton Hall, but still won the game). It will be interesting to me to see whether, with Langevine playing, URI can fight PC on the boards close to even. I think we will need to in order to have a chance to win the game.

To this point, URI has played a significantly more difficult schedule than PC - but that is not a knock on PC, URI has played the fifth toughest schedule in the country so it is significantly harder than almost everyone's. PC's 34th ranked SOS to this point means they have been tested a bit, but they have not played a true road game yet. The three senior leaders - Cartwright, Lindey and Bullock - have played enough road games in their careers and have played at the Ryan. But a lot of players PC will need to rely on to win the game have not, and that will be another interesting thing to pay attention to - do they thrive in a hostile environment or do they get rattled?

This game is way more important in the minds of the fans of the two teams than it is from a resume standpoint, but this is still a really good opportunity for both teams to get a quality OOC victory and bolster their at large arguments. For URI fans especially, this is the last meaningful accomplishment on Hurley's to-do list - he has returned the program to stability and then to success, he has won the A10 championship, gotten back to the NCAA tournament, he has won a tournament game, but he has not beat PC. Neither have the seniors on this team that have been responsible for executing Hurley's turnaround. It is too bad that EC cannot play in this game, but for Jared, Jarvis, Stan and Andre this is their last shot.

I'm not going to make a prediction, but mentally and emotionally I kind of need this win. Please do not lose to goddamn PC again.
11 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bill Koch and URI PA Announcer, Dan Yorke, chat the URI-PC rivalry game on this episode of Dan Yorke State of Mind.

http://foxprovidence.com/2017/11/27/11- ... e-of-mind/
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Feels so good to see this thread. GO RHODY!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Please win.

Please.
2 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I've never felt better about beating these guys than I do right now.

I know that doesn't mean a damn thing but I'm enjoying the feeling of confidence.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RoadyJay wrote:I've never felt better about beating these guys than I do right now.

I know that doesn't mean a damn thing but I'm enjoying the feeling of confidence.
I think the signs should make a return for this game, even if it's this game only.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

TruePoint wrote:Look, this PC team is without their best big man, senior Emmit Holt, who they recently announced will not be back until January.
FYI - Holt out for the season

0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

spookydog wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Look, this PC team is without their best big man, senior Emmit Holt, who they recently announced will not be back until January.
FYI - Holt out for the season

Certainly helps.
0 x
GO RAMS
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Is it too early to start drinking for this one? I am ready!!
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Phuck the Friars
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

spookydog wrote:Is it too early to start drinking for this one? I am ready!!
never too early....
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pregame where?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TP: good preview. Slightly disagree about the resume building comment. It's huge this year for URI because A10 sucks
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Fuck PC! URI by 6. Can't wait for this game
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For me Kyron Cartwright, and containing him, is the key to beating PC. He absolutely destroyed us last year. He has a penchant for hitting big shots, and making big plays...end of shot clock, end of games, stopping runs, etc. Moreso than his scoring, we cannot let him penetrate and facilitate easy shots for others. He can get his points if we hold his assists down...but a 15 pts, 8 assist night is not what we want with him. That will not be good.
Contain him and we can beat them. They will struggle to stop our guards and dribble penetration, Rider had a lot of success with that last night. They have a few key pieces that are young - Watson and Ashton-Langford - that hopefully struggle with the bright lights and intensity of this rivalry. They shoot the ball well from the outside, but we tend to defend the perimeter very well. Whoever guards Lindsey has to stay glued to him, he is money on catch and shoot but cannot put the ball on the floor.

Look for Bullock to take us down low - have to assume Stan is going to draw that assignment, with Akele mixed in. No one else we have can match up with him. He is better face up than back to basket, but can't let him get comfortable as he can fill it up. Not overly concerned with their interior guys, Young is foul prone, Watson will be a beast but is a freshman and will ebb and flow.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Watson off the bench is going to be a handful for us. He's going to be really good.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I love him, but I'm happy that EC will not be taking the last shot of this game. Terrell will and he won't miss. Rhody by 1.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....FWIW, Team Rankings gives URI a 62% chance winning.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Iggy1979 wrote:TP: good preview. Slightly disagree about the resume building comment. It's huge this year for URI because A10 sucks
Not only huge because the A10 sucks but it's a top 50 team on our home court. I think people ignore how difficult it is to have a top 50 team from the Big East play us at home because Providence is our rival. It's an awesome game for scheduling purposes and if we win it will certainly be mentioned on Selection Sunday.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm always a nervous wreck heading to this game.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:TP: good preview. Slightly disagree about the resume building comment. It's huge this year for URI because A10 sucks
Iggy - perhaps poorly worded by me. This game is definitely important from a resume building perspective, but compared to the other games in the same category - Nevada, Seton Hall, Virginia and Alabama - this one will get outsized attention from our fans (myself included).
0 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

We really need to win the 3 point battle in this one. Both teams have been very hot to start the year, having top percentages in the nation. URI is at #12 with 43.3% and PC is at #3 with 47%.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm with Roady Jay.

Feelin more confident than I have for a while about this one.

It's bound to be close, but we have a greater confidence in ourselves than we've ever had under Hurley, so when it is close down the stretch our guys believe they can pull it off.

I think Jared Terrell is going to rip them a new one.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Watson off the bench is going to be a handful for us. He's going to be really good.
Eventually will get more minutes than Young. Cooley is giving Young his chance, but Watson is the real deal.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Dis one is YOOOOOUG

H U G E

Agree Cartwright and Bullock pose big problems here.

Let’s just run ( and run and run )

And run some more....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Last year we got the NCAA tournament off DH back this year we get the PC monkey off his back
URI 76-72
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

reef wrote:Last year we got the NCAA tournament off DH back this year we get the PC monkey off his back
URI 76-72
Thank you for being generous ... I'll score this bout URI 74, PC 61, close until the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half, URI goes on a run to pull away. Hope I'm wrong :D
2 x
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

I think this is your year, I mean if not this year, when? Anyway, hopefully none of the players get hurt, and enjoy what is sure to be an awesome atmosphere. As always this is the only game I don't root for URI. So good luck the rest of the year.
5 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Here we go...

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Here we go...

I would just like to clarify that I am not in fact Ed Cooley
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Listen to our coach. "Branding the program"...hmm we have some talking about that in the marketing thread. Branding the program isn't via banner ads to sell tickets. Some people get it, some don't. Unfortunately the people responsible for that are part of the group that doesn't get it. If we lose DH it will be because his ambition isn't mirrored by his colleagues.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Sounds like Hurley is sending some messages here. I don't think we'll be able to advance the investment/fan support as quickly as he'd like and could see him leaving if the opportunity is right. Hopefully late-season attendance will improve enough to keep him happy.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's not game attendance in a vacuum. It's everything. First, he wants his colleagues to be as ambitious as he is. Then he wants to see people put their money where there mouth is. He wants to be great, every year, does the rest of the administration?
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

How do we (the fans) help fix a potentially broken administration (marketing, etc.)?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote:It's not game attendance in a vacuum. It's everything. First, he wants his colleagues to be as ambitious as he is. Then he wants to see people put their money where there mouth is. He wants to be great, every year, does the rest of the administration?
My personal opinion (and I have zero inside knowledge) is if Thorr and Dooley share the ambition then that is a big plus. I think they do. I hope I'm right.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dan will leave to go to a program that spends on its program. He will not necessarily leave for more money, although the school that spends more money on the program will also include a nice salary bump for him.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Talk about buzz kill....

Jeez...
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with DH , we need to do what we can to help this program get to the next level
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

well Dan....that "model program" pulls a whopping 35% capacity and >4500 fans to every creampuff OOC game at The Dump
3 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would love it if this thread wouldn't get derailed by this. But I am not surprised if it does.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm not a Cooley fan, but I love this comment from him.
Not going to sit well with all those who don't believe we have an attendance problem, that everything is ok and it's a slow process

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Love it

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Why did I feel an earthquake in the Philly area today? We don’t have earthquakes. The universe will NOT take me out before game time on Saturday. Unacceptable.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote:Sounds like Hurley is sending some messages here. I don't think we'll be able to advance the investment/fan support as quickly as he'd like and could see him leaving if the opportunity is right. Hopefully late-season attendance will improve enough to keep him happy.
Doesn't just sound like it - he is

#URI coach Dan Hurley -- 'It has huge ramifications, probably more so for us than for them. Because of the Big East schedule, they're going to get a lot more chances in RPI games than we will get.'

Hurley -- 'Coaching is different than fandom. Coaches are just looking at that next opponent -- it's kind of emotionless, faceless. We're just trying to figure out a way to win a game.'

Hurley -- 'Right now, in a lot of ways, (PC is) a model for running a high-level program -- the commitment they've made, the things they're building over there, the construction, the money being spent, the way they brand their program.'

Hurley -- 'Ed (Cooley) has recruited well. He's one of the best coaches in the college game. They've got a great fan base. They've got it going there and they're fully invested in trying to stay there. Their expectations are aligned with their investment.'

"The way they brand their program" - hmmmmmm Marketing maybe? What have some very knowledgeable posters here been saying?

Sounds to me like Hurley's patience is wearing thinner on some subjects. Wake up call anyone?
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:I'm not a Cooley fan, but I love this comment from him.
Not going to sit well with all those who don't believe we have an attendance problem, that everything is ok and it's a slow process

The irony is the same goes for their fans.

Last year, our game up there was their #1 OOC attendance by 4,000 tickets and the only OOC sell out.

In conference they only sell out for the elite of the elite teams, aka when Nova and X come to town.

And with spending don't forget 1 huge factor...all of our budgets have to be approved by the idiots in the state house. PC gets to spend what they want on what they want and answer to no one
1 x
---
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

more attendance nonsense? obviously the program should focus their attention on getting students to the games.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:more attendance nonsense? obviously the program should focus their attention on getting students to the games.
Cooley’s the only one who talked about attendance, and I don’t really care what he has to say.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

PC doesn't even play on campus. Model prgm? Whaaat.....great fan base? Barely a student to be found most nights at the dump.
Certainly no model I'm interested in.

Disappointed in a lot of these comments.

Seriously disappointed.

Wow, hoping these quotes aren't accurate.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

hrstrat57 wrote:PC doesn't even play on campus. Model prgm? Whaaat.....great fan base? Barely a student to be found most nights at the dump.
Certainly no model I'm interested in.

Disappointed in a lot of these comments.

Seriously disappointed.

Wow, hoping these quotes aren't accurate.
I feel the same. Mood killer for sure.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cooley loves slipping in subliminal condensating comments.
2 x
GO RAMS