Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - 6pm Wed Nov 29 @ Mews Tavern

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Cooley's coach's show is tonight at 7 at Union Station. It will be shown live on Cox YurView and will be broadcast sometime tomorrow on 103.7 fm
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Is this the Cooley coach's show thread? Just kidding. Let's see what he says or doesn't say about the game Saturday. Given he's never lost to Hurley and PC has 7 straight, no need for him to drop any controversial lines like in years past.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I didn't think it was worthy of its own thread and PC's game thread isn't up yet, so this seemed the most logical place
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ATPTourFan wrote:Is this the Cooley coach's show thread? Just kidding. Let's see what he says or doesn't say about the game Saturday. Given he's never lost to Hurley and PC has 7 straight, no need for him to drop any controversial lines like in years past.
He will probably cry about having to play at the Ryan Center
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I didn't think it was worthy of its own thread and PC's game thread isn't up yet, so this seemed the most logical place
Would make sense to put the PC Game Thread up so that all PC Game related items go there.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Is this the Cooley coach's show thread? Just kidding. Let's see what he says or doesn't say about the game Saturday. Given he's never lost to Hurley and PC has 7 straight, no need for him to drop any controversial lines like in years past.
I've already seen PC fans on Twitter start their whining about having to play the game here and how every game should be up there
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I didn't think it was worthy of its own thread and PC's game thread isn't up yet, so this seemed the most logical place
Would make sense to put the PC Game Thread up so that all PC Game related items go there.

It should go up once it is the next game. That means some time after 9pm on Tuesday after the Brown game is completed. the only focus by the team, coaches, and fans right now should be on the Bears.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:

It should go up once it is the next game. That means some time after 9pm on Tuesday after the Brown game is completed. the only focus by the team, coaches, and fans right now should be on the Bears.
Why?
This is just a message board.
Last year when we made the run from mid February on there were comments I was jinxing the team. We know what happened, no jinxing at all.

I personally like it when there is a category that the appropriate comments can go to and be contained. I also posted the Dayton and VCU Game threads early last season because posters wanted to talk about those games even before the Duquesne or Fordham games were played.

Fact is there will be a lot of PC Comments even now, heck Cooley is doing his show on the game already.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Having just one focus, not sure I can do that...actually, I can't. Good thing I'm not playin'.
Would like to hear some early PC talk...
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Actually I think this thread is a great place for this.

As far as game threads, the PC thread has been created and is sitting in storage until after the Brown game.

We talked before the season about setting up all the game threads at once so any opponent related news or discussion could be "filed" to the appropriate thread as we went, but there were concerns about clogging the board up with 30 game threads at once and knocking all of the active threads off the front page. So, we compromised and created a staging area where we can stash the upcoming game threads and we are releasing them as they come up. This season is kind of a dry run for the system, and we will see how it goes. Maybe next year we can publish them all at once and then just bump the active threads at the time back to the top afterwards. The other reason why we aren't releasing them way ahead now is because we want the information to be up to date so it is useful.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

The UNC Asheville thread is still on the front page along with nine other threads that the last post is from a week ago. I think it’s possible to have two future game threads without sending the board into anarchy.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PC plays Rider on Wednesday. The plan is for the PC thread to go live as soon as I have stats updated thru that game.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea of storing the future game threads until it is ready for game time
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RoadyJay wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if that hypocrite cried about playing down here again. I bet he would love to have had a real home game when he was an assistant here under Skinner.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Anyone else planning on going to the Mews tonight?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unlikely I can go out two nights in a row, but I'll ask.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Wish I could. I can't even listen. Hopefully the replay will be up immediately.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah get that link up quickly!!!!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

On now 920 Am
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm listening
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Shit, I forgot it was on. Anything interesting?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Only one I saw there was Taylor. Big crowd though, SRO....

Fatts was the player guest.....he's a confident guy....and will be a big star here before he's done.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:Only one I saw there was Taylor. Big crowd though, SRO....

Fatts was the player guest.....he's a confident guy....and will be a big star here before he's done.
Very confident. And he plays with an edge too. He's been in an opponent's face a couple of times already. He will definitely become a fan favorite, both talented and tough.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That philly swag...it's a thing.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts will get major minutes at the PG spot next year....Adams will have to be REALLY good to take a lot of time from him.

He knows his time is coming...and soon.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I found of interest from the show:
- As usual it was very good and informative - I try to never miss
- Langevine - DH said it was not so much a groin injury as it was a sports hernia. Said he could go 15-20 min vs PC. DH did not rule him out as starting when asked.

On recruiting class DH said it was the best that he has had.
- Jermaine Harris - DH said he was 6'10" and could do a lot of things on the court, rebound, defend, shoot. He said Atlantic 10 Teams generally do not get players of his caliber
- Tyrese Martin - Steve referred to him as 6'4" but DH quickly said he was 6'6". DH said he was his kind of player. In fact he said all 4 of the guys work hard and love to stay in the gym. DH said Martin can shoot, rebound, defend, pass. Likes that he is at prep school for a 5th year.
- Brendan Adams - DH said he could contend to play right away, could have an immediate impact, very talented
- Dana Tate - DH said if they had Tate now that Tate would be in the line up on this year's team, he is that talented

Mike Layssard - Steve joked about how Mike looked over at DH after he hit the outside shot as of to say "see" and DH turned his head away - they laughed. DH said Layssard has had some good practices recently. About the outside shot Layssard hit DH said they need him to be tough banging people down low and to be rebounding the ball. He said Mike could see more time down the road this season and next year.

Fatts Russell - Interesting exchange when DH talked about how the lost Fatts last summer when he disappeared for about a month to Arizona. He kidded how they could have signed Fatts 2 months earlier. DH kidded about the possible cities he was in there and Fatts admitted he was in Phoenix. Of course that is where Grand Canyon is, Dan Majarle is the HC and Fatt's brother played and graduated last year. Grand Canyon was recruiting Fatts pretty hard. Fatts said the reason he picked URI was because of DH. DH was straight with him about developing his game. Fatt's favorite player is Isaiah Thomas, favorite team LA Lakers he said because of Kobe (being from Philly). DH talked about Fatts being a shoe in for Rookie of the Week based on his 20 point performance last night and provided he doesn't blow it Saturday vs PC - they laughed of course. DH told him in recruiting he could go to a school where he would start and score a lot of points as a Freshman but not make post season, or come to URI, make the Tournament, have lesser numbers but still be playing in March and eventually be scoring more in his later years at URI. Very obvious DH is very high on Fatts.

As for the Brown game DH said it was the best defense they have played all year.
Wants to get more rebounding, and some offensive rebounds/put-backs from JT and JD - at least one per game

Again, great show, very informative and fun
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Wish we had Harris this year.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Nice summary ramster.

I really liked the interview with Fatts. He comes across as a well rounded man and player that never quits (limitless as he says). On recruiting Fatts, Hurley joked saying he was the second best PG at Nike EYBL. Number one there was Trae Young who dropped 43 pts on ORE last week.

On Jermaine Harris, Hurley compared him to Amare Stoudemire :D :D :D :D
ramster wrote:I found of interest from the show:
- As usual it was very good and informative - I try to never miss
- Langevine - DH said it was not so much a groin injury as it was a sports hernia. Said he could go 15-20 min vs PC. DH did not rule him out as starting when asked.

On recruiting class DH said it was the best that he has had.
- Jermaine Harris - DH said he was 6'10" and could do a lot of things on the court, rebound, defend, shoot. He said Atlantic 10 Teams generally do not get players of his caliber
- Tyrese Martin - Steve referred to him as 6'4" but DH quickly said he was 6'6". DH said he was his kind of player. In fact he said all 4 of the guys work hard and love to stay in the gym. DH said Martin can shoot, rebound, defend, pass. Likes that he is at prep school for a 5th year.
- Brendan Adams - DH said he could contend to play right away, could have an immediate impact, very talented
- Dana Tate - DH said if they had Tate now that Tate would be in the line up on this year's team, he is that talented

Mike Layssard - Steve joked about how Mike looked over at DH after he hit the outside shot as of to say "see" and DH turned his head away - they laughed. DH said Layssard has had some good practices recently. About the outside shot Layssard hit DH said they need him to be tough banging people down low and to be rebounding the ball. He said Mike could see more time down the road this season and next year.

Fatts Russell - Interesting exchange when DH talked about how the lost Fatts last summer when he disappeared for about a month to Arizona. He kidded how they could have signed Fatts 2 months earlier. DH kidded about the possible cities he was in there and Fatts admitted he was in Phoenix. Of course that is where Grand Canyon is, Dan Majarle is the HC and Fatt's brother played and graduated last year. Grand Canyon was recruiting Fatts pretty hard. Fatts said the reason he picked URI was because of DH. DH was straight with him about developing his game. Fatt's favorite player is Isaiah Thomas, favorite team LA Lakers he said because of Kobe (being from Philly). DH talked about Fatts being a shoe in for Rookie of the Week based on his 20 point performance last night and provided he doesn't blow it Saturday vs PC - they laughed of course. DH told him in recruiting he could go to a school where he would start and score a lot of points as a Freshman but not make post season, or come to URI, make the Tournament, have lesser numbers but still be playing in March and eventually be scoring more in his later years at URI. Very obvious DH is very high on Fatts.

As for the Brown game DH said it was the best defense they have played all year.
Wants to get more rebounding, and some offensive rebounds/put-backs from JT and JD - at least one per game

Again, great show, very informative and fun
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

A sports hernia means a tear (without the bulge). That sounds like a year-long issue.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

nice job Ramster.

I have quietly wondered whether Dana Tate or how close he is to Bonzie Colson. Colson obviously special. Tate.... idk he is reminiscent to me of Colson.

The defense was staunch against the Bears. Would love to see it again. And again.

Love Big Mike. Love guys that stick around and get better. That is cool.

I have also wondered what kind of physical development or just what kind of development trajectory Fatss has.

Taller players you envision tightening up their game and becoming beasts. Him? Idk? His game is very tight already. Then he has to continue to be lightening quick. I think its just hold your breath, sit back, and watch the Fatts show.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

When I watch Fatts play D, I just think to myself...man, am I glad I never had to play against anything like that...
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts’ game will mature. He makes judgement mistakes. That will get better with experience. I love his energy and talent. It will be interesting to see if his outside shooting % is good for his career. Next up is for Fatts to have an impact and solid game against a top level opponent (PC and Bama). If he does, I could see he getting more minutes in place of Jarvis.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hmm so Dan inferred they thought it was a hernia....was he drunk? :)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

When/where is the next coach's show? I thought they said something about it over the PA last night, but it was sometimes hard to hear (very cool)
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:When/where is the next coach's show? I thought they said something about it over the PA last night, but it was sometimes hard to hear (very cool)
The next one is in Newport, next week.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Red Parrot on the 13th seems to ring a bell
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep....Red Parrot is a cool place....went there for lunch about a month ago....

Not sure if I can make it but am going to try....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - 6pm Wed Dec 13 @ Red Parrot, Newport

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since I couldn't make it to Newport tonight......hopefully there will be some injury news on Preston....if he is injured
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Link ??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not posted yet...
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Any takeaways from the show?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:
curse those 6 o'clock starts :lol: :lol: ....I land at TFGreen at 6 tomorrow...hopefully get a chance to listen to it on the way home
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - 6pm TONIGHT @ Mews Tavern

Seems odd that the next show [after tonight's] isn't until Feb. 28th.....one day short of 7 weeks later.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

For those that have attended the Coach's Show at The Mews in the past, where do they set up? In the original bar area?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RI_Bred wrote:For those that have attended the Coach's Show at The Mews in the past, where do they set up? In the original bar area?
Glad you asked. I was about to ask the same thing.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Has been upstairs the past year or so in the Irish Pub.
0 x