11/13 | Nevada Wolf Pack | 11:30PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: 11/13 | Nevada Wolf Pack | 11:30PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

4Diffs wrote:Tough game last night. Nevada is a good team and playing at 11:30 eastern time after travelling cross country was no easy task.

A lot of good comments in this thread. My main concern is with Langevine. For us to be the team we all hope for, he needs to be much better than he has been in the first 2 games. After the way he played down the stretch last year and in the NCAA tournament as a freshman, I was expecting big things from him this year. He is off to a very rough start. He needs to pick up his play or this team will struggle mightily against teams with any decent size.

One pet peeve from last night. I will never understand not doubling a player that it is clear that your team cannot handle one on one. This happened last year against Valparaiso as Alec Peters essentially beat us last year, and we did not double him once last year in that game. Make somebody else beat you.

Same thing last night with Nevada's big guy. I know one time they did double him, and he found an open guy for a layup but I would have done it until proven otherwise that it was not a good strategy. Playing him straight up one on one certainly was not working. He was not your typical big, but you still could have run a second player at him to get the ball out of his hands.

And the turning point for me in that game last night was that crazy three point shot hit by one of the Martin twins with just over 2 minutes left. Was a 3 point game at that time and that pushed it to 6.

On to Holy Cross.
Excellent point on double teaming. I had mentioned a zone prior -- I'm just surprised Hurley didn't try something. They were scoring points every trip. Another turning point was when JT had a drive pop out and then committed a foul. Great half by JT but if that one had gone in ...
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:.... if not for a desperation 25 foot three pointer going down that game was going down to the last possession.
If someone wanted to torture me for whatever reason (and I don't doubt that some people do), one way to do it would be to assemble a highlight real of absurd dagger threes hit against URI just in the last decade or so. It would literally be five minutes long and it would make me die inside.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It really does seem like every time an opponent needs to make a three at the end of games, either open or a prayer, they go in and kill us....

Of course the worst was Lee's line drive against us with a minute or so to go in the Stanford game...and that was almost 20 years ago.

We are owed a few misses, and soon.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:.... if not for a desperation 25 foot three pointer going down that game was going down to the last possession.
If someone wanted to torture me for whatever reason (and I don't doubt that some people do), one way to do it would be to assemble a highlight real of absurd dagger threes hit against URI just in the last decade or so. It would literally be five minutes long and it would make me die inside.
top of the list... Dorsey x2 in the tourney and Gibbs' miracle heave in Kingston 2 years ago...costing them the regular season A10 title and likely an at large bid as well.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PackHoops
Jim Eitner

Unread post by PackHoops »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop in and say that you guys have a great team and I was impressed with the grit your team showed. As fans I’m sure you guys were pissed about the foul discrepancy as I probably would be if it was the other way around. I will say that is part of Nevada’s game they got to the foul line a ridiculous amount the last two years under Muss. I will say I don’t think I’ve ever seen 3 players foul out though. The way you guys fought back in the 2nd half really could have gone either way, Caleb’s lucky 3 really was a dagger. Anyway I’m looking forward to this game next year in your house, both teams played hard and was fun watching. I hope you guys win the rest of your games this year.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Nevada earned the right to have more FTs than URI.. the discrepancy was a bit staggering... not blaming FTs tho.. you guys played a solid game and have a solid team... best of luck and enjoy the ride.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Tough loss, but one I'm not all that concerned about. If anything, it was a great early season test for our guys that will hopefully pay dividends down the road. That was a very good Nevada team we lost to, and anybody saying otherwise didn't watch the game. At the end of the day it was the second game of the season, all the way across the country with an 11:30pm tipoff against a top 25-caliber team. Not exactly a recipe for success. Factor in the enormous FT disparity (44 to 18) and it's amazing that we only lost by 7. Don't forget it was a 2-point game late in the second half before those circus 3-pointers by Martin put the game out of reach. Our guys will learn from this. I trust we'll see a much better performance our next time out.

As far as the individual players, a lot of good comments being made on here. I agree that our frontcourt defense (or lack thereof) is a bit worrisome, but I'll need to see a few more games against solid competition before I pass judgement. Hurley will (hopefully) make adjustments to mask some of our deficiencies. That's what good coaches do. Few quick comments:

EC - Invisible in the first half and too many turnovers overall, but he and Terrell put the team on their backs in the second half. Through two games this year and all of last season, too often this has become the trend. It seems like he takes an entire half to warm up which is why we're continually playing from behind late in games. If he can turn it on earlier then we'll be able to pad a lead and not have to expend so much energy scratching and clawing to come back late. He's a dynamic scorer when everything is clicking, but I want to see more consistency out of him.

Terrell - Like many of our Keaney Blue posters, I feel he's our best all-around player. But his performance last night was eerily similar to EC's. He was a no-show in the first half, but a beast in the second half. We can't have both of these guys disappear in the same half. We won't win many games, if any, that way. Terrell is such a great defender and he can definitely shoot from long range, but I'd love to see him take it to the rim more often. That's where his bread and butter is. He's so strong and knows how to use his body strength to his advantage. I'm not saying he should pass up open looks on the perimeter, but let the rest of the guards focus on the threes, he needs to be driving the lane.

Garrett - I thought he quietly played a solid game last night. He's a true floor general out there, and his shot looked great. I didn't see his usual intensity on defense, but otherwise I have no complaints about his performance. In a loaded backcourt, I still think JG should be playing meaningful minutes. He has the experience and the toughness to keep us on track.

Langevine - Very disappointing performance. And rest-assured he will foul out of every single game this year if he continues to play defense the way he does. It's maddening. He's played an average of 16 minutes the first two games due to the constant foul trouble. That's unacceptable especially since he's our only legitimate big man at the moment. He also wasn't crashing the boards with his usual intensity last night, but let's hope it was an aberration due in part to the extensive travel and late tipoff.

Akele - I was pleasantly surprised by his performance last night. 8 points and 6 rebounds in limited minutes, and he was the only one defending in the paint. He'll never be a banger down low, but it appears he'll need to step up his defensive game if we're going to have any shot of winning games versus bigger teams. So far he appears to be up for the challenge.

Dowtin - Yuck. He did have 6 assists, but he was a liability every time he touched the ball last night. The high number of forced shots coupled with some boneheaded turnovers really preventing the team from making any kind of run. Very forgettable performance, but I expect big things from him this year. He'll bounce back nicely against Holy Cross.

Preston - Tough to gauge his ability because he played so few minutes, but he definitely looks the part and plays with a competitive edge. I'd love to see what he can do with more playing time. We need all the size we can get up front.

Berry - Has an incredibly soft touch for a big man and is certainly an asset on the offensive side, but boy is he a defensive liability. Will be interesting to see how Hurley manages his minutes on a go forward.

Fatts - Flashed some incredible speed in limited action and has a great handle. I think he deserves more playing time, but we're so loaded in the backcourt at the moment. I fear he's one of the last few guys off the bench for the foreseeable future.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some thoughts on the game:
They lost the game at the end of the first half. Dowtin on FT line could reduce lead to 2. Misses front end. Loses his player on other end for 3. Dowtin turns it over on next possession. Nevada comes down with old fashion 3 putting them up 10. All in the last 1+ minute.

URI fouls too much. They did last year too. I think someone posted in another thread that their opponents were near the top in FTA per game last year. Don’t confuse good defense with playing tight and fouling too much. URI is the later.

Dowtin and Cyril killed Rhody in the first half.

An experience deep backcourt shouldn’t have 10 turnovers in the first half.

How does Dowtin get that many minutes when he was playing so poorly and Garrett was playing well.

Preston should play more.

Berry’s offense is needed.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
top of the list... Dorsey x2 in the tourney and Gibbs' miracle heave in Kingston 2 years ago...costing them the regular season A10 title and likely an at large bid as well.
Too many to even name. But those ones you mentioned plus the Xeyrius Williams threes in our home loss to Dayton last season are the ones that immediately jump out at me.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

"Another turning point was when JT had a drive pop out and then committed a foul. Great half by JT but if that one had gone in ..."

Agree Iggy, it was 80-76 at that point, and that is a shot Jared hits 9 times out of 10.

I think Nevada was close to a 40% three point shooting team last year, probably was the main reason we weren't doubling. But I agree, at a certain point you have to acknowledge its the only thing left to do.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

EC and JT have to be option 1. This team feeds off of them, not the other way around.

You cant ease into these games. EC for like 18 months has taken this NBA Hall of Famer approach of letting the game come to him. JT does the same thing. Its like NO!!!!!, you're an all A10 player. Go make plays. Make your team better. Theres only 40 minutes to the game. When you cut it up into segments it is even shorter. URI cant afford to have EC and JT play early the way they did last night in games.

They play aggressive and boom we beat Cinci. That is still our model victory. Those two guys going off with whoever is locked in. Last night that was Fatts. Fatts outplayed Dowtin and I would have liked him in the game down the stretch. He was dominant.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

TruePoint wrote:The block/charge call has cost us multiple baskets and given them multiple and-1s.
Actually, this is not totally true. I just watched the game on tape again. There were four charges in the game. Two on each side. Yes...both of our charges (Dowtin and Garrett) wiped out baskets while neither of theirs did.

There were 3 blocks in the game. Two blocks on them and only 1 on us. Our block did not result in an and 1 for them. While one of their two blocks did result in an and 1 for us.

I bring this up only to point out that it is never as bad as we think it is during the game. It this case it was magnified because we lost two baskets, but in my opinion, the right calls was made.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with those who say Preston needs more time, giving him 6 minutes is just plain wrong

JD had a bad game last night , I think he will be ok though he just missed some makeable shots

Cyril needs to play better offensively and stay out of foul trouble
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Caroline had too many offensive boards. It was like our bigs felt relief he missed the first shot and didn't bother to box him out. Preston and Fatts need more minutes. The play that Fatts drove and got fouled the camera showed Nevada huddling up right after and the kid guarding him was talking about how fast he is.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody Guy wrote:Caroline had too many offensive boards. It was like our bigs felt relief he missed the first shot and didn't bother to box him out. Preston and Fatts need more minutes. The play that Fatts drove and got fouled the camera showed Nevada huddling up right after and the kid guarding him was talking about how fast he is.
Dan's #1 priority is always defense. I'm guessing Dan didn't think Fatts was a good defensive matchup with all of Nevada's big guards.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Running Ram wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:This is the "same ole Rhody" story...

We lost a close, OOC road game against a tough opponent.

Like clockwork.

But it's not the same ole Rhody story, they re-wrote the narrative last season with a run through the A10 tourney and two ncaa games.
It's a tough loss to a tough team on their home court.
Our starting front court graduated and Nevada has an excellent front court. We stayed in this game, didn't get deflated. I'm ok with getting our challenges on the road, in a different time zone, if it strengthens the team in the end. Like Temple of old, they killed themselves with rough ooc schedules but sliced up the A10 and advanced to the NCAA's routinely. What we can't have is 0 tough road wins, but there is plenty of season to go so let's see how it unfolds.

Don't let a tough loss to a good team on the road keep anyone from showing up to the game Sunday!!
I still have Rhody scheduled to go back to the dance this season.
Run thru the A-10 tourney and 2 NCAA games...sorry, but those were on neutral courts.

His point is accurate in losing a "close, OOC road game against a tough opponent." It is the same old story. What is the list of URI winning those non-conference games?

Lots of college basketball teams lose those games. Correct. But if a team wants to label itself "big time" or "elite," then it starts to win more of those games than it loses.

I think that's the point and the justification of the disappointment.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Yeah I just rewatched the game. The officiating was fine. Our defense was not. Thats the story of the game
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Just a frustrating game. Personally, I expected to see certain signals and signs that the team had taken the step forward. They looked like EC looked last year early when he was thinking about the NBA.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

not trying to single the man out.. but Cyril needs to step up his game.. i hope he has it in him.

we need more easier baskets than jump shots

come on Cyril !
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah agree ECR Cyril needs to take that next step up after showing so much promise as a frosh

He needs to avoid foul trouble and contribute offensively
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Nevada is up to 4-0 with two blowout road wins at fairly good competition after they beat us by 7 at home.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ElmCityRhody wrote:not trying to single the man out.. but Cyril needs to step up his game.. i hope he has it in him.

we need more easier baskets than jump shots

come on Cyril !
Now that it’s out that he played hurt in this game, I think I feel a little better about his performance going forward, once healthy again.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Should get into top 25 soon you would think ??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

No respect.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is...something

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Who’s he yelling at?
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

From what I can gather, Utah State fans stormed the court and the Nevada players, and apparently Caroline in particular, were being grabbed at and verbally abused (in his case, it took the form of racial slurs, allegedly). And I take it from the comments of the Nevada staff toward the end of the clip that they did not feel the security was adequate to get them off the court. It’s sucks for Caroline that only his reaction was captured on video. My guess is his reaction was warranted. Guys don’t just lose it like that - I hope he isn’t punished.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched that game too as Utah State is a pretty good team especially at home. Unfortunate incident for sure
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ESPNs article on the post game

https://es.pn/2XAjwpK
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is all karma. You reap what you sow.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

They might have beat us by 50...I'm ok not playing them this year. Slimy move on their part? Sure, but I don't think the contest would have done this team any good.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago It is all karma. You reap what you sow.

I don’t know if anyone here has been as critical as I have been of Musselman and his program’s cowardly decision to back out of their game against us. But the players didn’t have any part in that decision, and even if they did it wouldn’t mean they deserve to endure verbal and physical assault after a basketball game. Not sure what karma has to do with it.

What Nevada pulled with URI was weak bullshit. What Utah State allowed to happen to Nevada was likely a crime. The two things aren’t comparable and they have nothing to do with one another.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago They might have beat us by 50...I'm ok not playing them this year. Slimy move on their part? Sure, but I don't think the contest would have done this team any good.
Couldn't disagree more. We want as many top 15 teams playing on our home court as possible. A sold out Ryan Center with our guys fired up is a very tough place to play. If we had the Fatts from the last two games we can hang with most teams. We will never know the outcome because they are weak cowards!!!! I can't wait for them to lose in the second round of the tournament. Fuck Nevada!!!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago They might have beat us by 50...I'm ok not playing them this year. Slimy move on their part? Sure, but I don't think the contest would have done this team any good.

I am sure URI would have been willing to move the game to another season if they had requested it. The fact that they never explored that option makes their action even worse.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

I am sure URI would have been willing to move the game to another season if they had requested it. The fact that they never explored that option makes their action even worse.
We're really back to this again...exercising an opt out in a contract is not some capital offense that we should all be clutching our pearls over. Get over it. Or be pissed at URI for allowing bad terms in a contract if you want.

Not to mention this all has nothing to do with what happened last night in the first place.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

More info here:

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago
Couldn't disagree more. We want as many top 15 teams playing on our home court as possible. A sold out Ryan Center with our guys fired up is a very tough place to play. If we had the Fatts from the last two games we can hang with most teams. We will never know the outcome because they are weak cowards!!!! I can't wait for them to lose in the second round of the tournament. Fuck Nevada!!!
Agreed. If you can get a top 15 team on your schedule you do it. This is like when URI got the football game with VA Tech I had responded on Twitter that it’s too bad this didn’t include a home and home with the basketball teams. McNamara responded “be careful what you wish for.” I responded with “why not? You take a game against a potential top 25 team and P5 school. Always” (paraphrasing).
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Too bad....this could've been our fans and coaches involved in the riot......lost opportunities....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago
Agreed. If you can get a top 15 team on your schedule you do it. This is like when URI got the football game with VA Tech I had responded on Twitter that it’s too bad this didn’t include a home and home with the basketball teams. McNamara responded “be careful what you wish for.” I responded with “why not? You take a game against a potential top 25 team and P5 school. Always” (paraphrasing).
I agree, you always take the game. But, if the game gets taken away, and you realize you'd've probably been thrashed...just saying, it's not that bad of a thing. Although, upside is, it appears now we'll have anti-NV butthurt to talk about here for years to come... :lol: ... our children's children will get to read about the time those 'b@stards from NV backed out on us"... good times.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYG, as far as the scheduling thing with Nevada, it’s really more the principal of the thing. Whether we’d have won or lost is not really the point. The bottom line is that the chance to find out was taken away because their coach didn’t respect the norms that have been established in college basketball, which allow the whole enterprise to function properly (at least as properly as such a flawed institution can - doing this kind of thing certainly doesn’t make it any better or cause anyone to have more trust in it).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What Nevada did is done. I don’t get the unending anger.
We got $50,000. The most we would have gotten would have been $100,000 which is what some posters are mad about. So Thor came up short $50,000. Nevada would have pulled out for $100,000, probably even $200,000.

We don’t know how the contract discussion went down.

Nevada HC changed when Hurley left. He knew the NET was coming and a game with URI would nit be good for NET.

It’s a business. Not justifying it, but what Nevada did was not illegal. Not nice. It does not happen often.

After what Dayton did to us on our home floor, our dismal performance in Hawaii, losing 5 straight and 7 of 8, I was not upset having the $50k in hand and not playing Nevada. We don’t need to be playing a Top 6 team this year - and this coming from the most optimistic predictor preseason. Feel free to sub dumb for optimistic.

Nevada had a veteran team, a team with the potential to win it all as a Gonzaga. Don’t like it but it’s life.

The money gap between $100k and $50k is nothing when a Kansas or Virginia Tech is giving us $700k for a football game.

Got my football helmet on after saying this :lol: :lol:

But I agree with 208.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago What Nevada did is done. I don’t get the unending anger.
We got $50,000. The most we would have gotten would have been $100,000 which is what some posters are mad about. So Thor came up short $50,000. Nevada would have pulled out for $100,000, probably even $200,000.

We don’t know how the contract discussion went down.

Nevada HC changed when Hurley left. He knew the NET was coming and a game with URI would nit be good for NET.

It’s a business. Not justifying it, but what Nevada did was not illegal. Not nice. It does not happen often.

After what Dayton did to us on our home floor, our dismal performance in Hawaii, losing 5 straight and 7 of 8, I was not upset having the $50k in hand and not playing Nevada. We don’t need to be playing a Top 6 team this year - and this coming from the most optimistic predictor preseason. Feel free to sub dumb for optimistic.

Nevada had a veteran team, a team with the potential to win it all as a Gonzaga. Don’t like it but it’s life.

The money gap between $100k and $50k is nothing when a Kansas or Virginia Tech is giving us $700k for a football game.

Got my football helmet on after saying this :lol: :lol:

But I agree with 208.
They wouldn't have pulled out if the guarantee was $100,000. That's what the Davidson game was for and they pushed it back a year instead of buying them out
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If they had pulled out for $500k, the money would be nice but I’d still think they were yellow bellied cowards. You schedule the game, you play the game. There are plenty of things a person or an organization can do that aren’t illegal but are still disgraceful and would cause me to lose respect for them. The final analysis of whether something is right or wrong is not whether or not it is legal. There are plenty of legal acts that I find more offensive to my sense of right and wrong than plenty of illegal ones.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Completely agree TP, but it is what it is.
And after we lost 7 of 8 and got stomped by Dayton I was thinking that $50,000 was feeling pretty good and we would have gotten crushed by Nevada.
This is far, far from last year's URI team - much farther than I originally thought
But time to move on.
The fact that this year's team underachieved by a considerable margin only made the move in Nevada's minds who orchestrated the move to make even more sense - sorry to say
We all get that it was a bush league move, it been said many, many times
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If it’s so disgraceful why did we allow it in the contract in the first place? It’s a silly thing to be so angry about anyway, but if the anger is justified then I still think it is misplaced here. You can’t willfully give someone an out and then stomp your feet when they take it.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't forget or forgive. Not enough bad things can happen to Musselman and Nevada for me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago If it’s so disgraceful why did we allow it in the contract in the first place? It’s a silly thing to be so angry about anyway, but if the anger is justified then I still think it is misplaced here. You can’t willfully give someone an out and then stomp your feet when they take it.
I think precisely because it is so unheard of. We didn’t worry a lot about the buyout because there was no expectation that it would ever be used. It’s like not signing a prenup in a marriage and then getting your clock cleaned. Even then, a divorce is a much more foreseeable outcome. The reason why it’s so bad is because it is a flagrant violation of trust. It’s the equivalent of a friend blowing up a handshake agreement and telling the other guy he should have had it reduced to writing. To me, it’s as dishonorable a thing as I can imagine.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago If it’s so disgraceful why did we allow it in the contract in the first place? It’s a silly thing to be so angry about anyway, but if the anger is justified then I still think it is misplaced here. You can’t willfully give someone an out and then stomp your feet when they take it.
I think precisely because it is so unheard of. We didn’t worry a lot about the buyout because there was no expectation that it would ever be used. It’s like not signing a prenup in a marriage and then getting your clock cleaned. Even then, a divorce is a much more foreseeable outcome. The reason why it’s so bad is because it is a flagrant violation of trust. It’s the equivalent of a friend blowing up a handshake agreement and telling the other guy he should have had it reduced to writing. To me, it’s as dishonorable a thing as I can imagine.
But if I’m Nevada, the out is there in the contract, everyone knows it’s for $50k, otherwise why even put it in?
Reason it’s rarely exercised is because there is rarely a reason to cancel. In this case:
- Hurley leaves for greener pastures - so the excitement and publicity of going against a Hurley Coached team is no longer there. Obviously Nevada was expecting a Hurley coached team and a good one.
- URI Loses 4 starters with only Dowtin returning
- Nevada sees itself as a Top 10 team and they are
- Nevada sees URI as a potentially average or below NET ranked team and they are
- NET enters the picture to replace the use of RPI. Nevada sees URI as a negative towards the all important new NET ratings system

I don’t agree with the “fairness factor” and can see how teams might consider this a negative when scheduling Nevada in the future but I can see a number of reasons to drop us.

It’s unusual but it’s more of a business then we all might want to think it is.

Heck This is nothing compared to what Dave Gavitt did go URI with the Big East yet there are many here who think we should root for the Friars.

The big problem here is we played Nevada then they dropped us.

If the entire series was dropped by Nevada BEFORE they play us on their court it would be more palatable.
0 x