Week #2 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #2 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

In addition to URI versus Nevada at Lawlor Events Center in Reno, other A-10 games on Monday are:

Jacksonville State at Richmond. This game is a campus game of Cayman Islands Classic and is now underway and in the second half, Richmond is trailing Jax State, 68-38 with 11 minutes remaining!!! What an embarrassment!!!

Long Island U. at Fordham. 7 PM.

North Florida at VCU. A campus round game of the Maui Jim Maui. 7 PM.

La Salle visits the Palestra for a Big Five game versus Penn 7 PM.

Saint Joseph's at UIC. 8 PM.

D2 Rockhurst at Saint Louis. 8:30 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

#23 Minnesota at PC. A Gavitt Tip-Off game. 6:30 PM. On FS1.

Austin Peay at Virginia. 7 PM. On ACCNE.

Brown at Quinnipiac. 7 PM.

Florida Gulf Coast at Siena. 7 PM.

D2 Lees McRae at UNC Asheville. 7 PM.

Vanderbilt at Belmont. 7:30 PM.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #2 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RF1 »

Jacksonville State wins at Richmond 94-61. Spiders 0-2 having lost an earlier home game to Delaware 76-63.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They are bad. Really bad.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Final score had Richmond losing 94-61 and JSU expanded their lead after halftime. Jacksonville State may not have name recognition, but they are a good team, picked to finish second in the Ohio Valley Conference. Last year, Jacksonville State advanced to the NCAA tournament for the first time as a Division I program. Three starters return from that 21-15 team.

Yes, Richmond is a young team, but getting beat up by an OVC school on your home court is awful. The voices out of Richmond are increasingly calling for Mooney's head!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Mooney should be on the hot seat. With his tenure and their decent success in his time there they should not be in this position.
Seems a transfer, TJ Cline, might have covered up a lot of warts. To me he is very Baron-esque, they have been bad defensively and on the boards for his entire tenure and he has done nothing to fix that.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They extend Mooney every year.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:Mooney should be on the hot seat. With his tenure and their decent success in his time there they should not be in this position.
Seems a transfer, TJ Cline, might have covered up a lot of warts. To me he is very Baron-esque, they have been bad defensively and on the boards for his entire tenure and he has done nothing to fix that.

Mooney just got a one year extension in August 2017. He is locked in through the 2021-2022 season. After making the 2011 NCAA Sweet-16 here in Providence, he got a ten year extension deal which just had another year added.

Mooney is 225–177 (.560) overall and 109–89 (.551) in league play during his tenure at UR. He has two NCAA, two NIT, and three CBI appearances in his 12 seasons as the Spiders coach (2005-).

http://www.richmond.com/sports/richmond ... 8691d.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My Favorite and 2nd Favorite Team playing tonight!!

My Favorite URI - versus Nevada
And
My second Favorite Minnesota - versus PC.....of course my second favorite team is whoever is playing the Friazzzz
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting that the Monday daytime game at Richmond drew 6,805 fans which is close to capacity. I know URI had a great opening crowd, but there is still more to do to grow the URI fan base and make it the brand in the South County area and beyond. We must always push for continuous improvement.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so Chris Mooney and the Richmond Spiders !!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramster wrote:My Favorite and 2nd Favorite Team playing tonight!!

And
My second Favorite Minnesota - versus PC.....of course my second favorite team is whoever is playing the Friazzzz

My sentiments precisely, ramster. :D
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Obadiah wrote:

And

I know it falls on deaf ears here, but hopefully the Friars are undefeated on December 1st. Would prefer to hand a ranked Friars squad that first L on the 2nd.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As always, I want PC to go 0-31. If we take care of business as we should, what PC does shouldn't matter when it comes to RPI.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC and Minny are in a battle as it approaches the half
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:PC and Minny are in a battle as it approaches the half

A win over #14 Minnesota and a win later this week vs Washington would likely get the Friars ranked next Monday.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
Obadiah wrote:

And

I know it falls on deaf ears here, but hopefully the Friars are undefeated on December 1st. Would prefer to hand a ranked Friars squad that first L on the 2nd.
It's fine for URI Fans to root for PC, I get it I guess, but just not fine for those same URI Fans to expect all URI Fans to do the same. No way will I ever root for PC in anything

Tonight I am rooting against Minnesota and for Minnesota

Rooting Heavily against Minnesota as the URI WBB Plays them at the Ryan Center and rooting Heavily FOR Minnesota as they play PC at the Dunk
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Looks like the Gophers are puling away from PeeCee.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC was favored by 2 but lost by 12
Crowd looked like they got bussed in from Assisted Living Centers, very quiet and sleepy. Crowd was leaving in droves down 11 with 3 minutes to go - not a good look on TV. Pretty early to leave with 3 minutes to go.
Only time the crowd went to all standing was with 90 seconds to go when a fight broke out in the stands. Even Pitino and the Minnesota players were watching it. Kevin Mac was watching the fight too - was the highlight in the Dunk of the last 10 minutes of the game.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A fight in the stands is not a pretty sight and unfortunately, it is a common occurrence at Friar games
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's say goodnight to to the Providence College Friars
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Summarizing some of the Monday night action so far in the A-10:

Fordham easily handles Long Island U., one of the favorites in the NEC, 82-61.

VCU beats North Florida, 95-85. NF and Florida Gulf Coast are considered two of the best teams in the Atlantic Sun.
0 x
Gopher+RamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Gopher+RamFan »

Obadiah wrote:Interesting that the Monday daytime game at Richmond drew 6,805 fans which is close to capacity. I know URI had a great opening crowd, but there is still more to do to grow the URI fan base and make it the brand in the South County area and beyond. We must always push for continuous improvement.
Just to clarify, Richmond had this game at 12:00 so it could have local school children attend. They bus them in every year for a game.

Glad my Gophers got the win at Providence.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

how bout dem gofuzz?

you betcha
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It took two overtimes, but La Salle finally prevailed over local rival Penn, 75-71.

In a strange pattern, Saint Louis starts out strong, led 15-3, but then Travis goes to the bench and poof goes the margin as at the half SLU leads D2 Rockhurst, 29-26.

Meanwhile Saint Joseph's has fallen behind UIC by 3 points with 4 minutes left.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saint Louis finally got separation from Rockhurst in second half to take a 74-50 decision.

Great comeback by Saint Joseph's to beat UIC in OT, 86-82. The Hawks were down by 11 with 6 minutes left when they began a furious rally to tied the game in regulation on a Taylor Funk three pointer with 26 seconds remaining. UIC got the opening bucket in OT, but SJU quickly took over to seal the win.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good wins for St Joes and LaSalle. Richmond, though...oy.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Summarizing some of the Monday night action so far in the A-10:

Fordham easily handles Long Island U., one of the favorites in the NEC, 82-61.

VCU beats North Florida, 95-85. NF and Florida Gulf Coast are considered two of the best teams in the Atlantic Sun.
Justin Tillman was tough for VCU. 27 points in 24 minutes played. Hit 14-17 FG, 8 rebounds
Nice game by Issac Vann, who transferred from Maine to VCU after his Freshman Year. He came off the bench and played 28 minutes, 7-17 FG, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 17 points
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In tonight's results among URI OOC opponents:

Virginia in a romp over Austin Peay, 93-49.

Brown beats Quinnipiac, 79-72. Q is forecasted to be the worst team in the Metro Atlantic.

Florida Gulf Coast routs Siena, 86-53.

As expected in games with D2 teams, UNC Asheville easily defeats Lees-McRae, 92-60.

#6 Wichita State annihilates Dec. 16 Ram foe, College of Charleston, 81-63.

Belmont upsets Vanderbilt, 69-60.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Of all the years to potentially have Vandy and not Belmont...
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Let’s hope we don’t play Vandy.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Obadiah wrote:Interesting that the Monday daytime game at Richmond drew 6,805 fans which is close to capacity. I know URI had a great opening crowd, but there is still more to do to grow the URI fan base and make it the brand in the South County area and beyond. We must always push for continuous improvement.
Richmond, VA: pop 220,289
Kingston, RI: pop 5,446

i get some dont want to hear it, but location is a key factor in attendance. Being in the sticks kills the walk up crowd, where as being in a large city boosts it.

Its why every concert/event at MSG sells out, when you have 10+ million people in the area anything can draw 20k
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Any place where the cows outnumber the people is a hard place to draw.

That won't ever change.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Continuous improvement and having stretch goals means never having to make excuses.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Obadiah wrote:Continuous improvement and having stretch goals means never having to make excuses.
dont confuse facts for excuses. nothing is immune from the basic factors and variables of the business world. nothing is immune from the effect of population, disposable income, local competitors, etc.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Richmond, VA: pop 220,289
Kingston, RI: pop 5,446

i get some dont want to hear it, but location is a key factor in attendance. Being in the sticks kills the walk up crowd, where as being in a large city boosts it.

Its why every concert/event at MSG sells out, when you have 10+ million people in the area anything can draw 20k

The Monday day game had a lot of elementary/middle schools in attendance for a field trip which augmented their crowd.

Richmond has a loyal following and has beat URI in attendance for several straight years. The Spiders averaged 6,317 last year (over 1k more than Rhody). While it is located in a decent sized city, its enrollment is small as it only has undergraduate enrollment of 3,524. It is a small liberal arts school with a big endowment and beautiful suburban neighborhood campus which caters to the sons and daughters of the wealthy.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Continuous improvement and having stretch goals means never having to make excuses.
dont confuse facts for excuses. nothing is immune from the basic factors and variables of the business world. nothing is immune from the effect of population, disposable income, local competitors, etc.
Sorry, but we will never agree on this point as my belief system is influenced by my work experience/company where our guiding principles are - better than the best, continuous improvement and always having stretch goals. It is why I believe we need major improvement to URI's athletic facilities and not onlyt doing small and piecemeal things.

Besides the "facts" as you stated don't always tell the whole story. The Richmond MSA has a population of has population of 1,281,708 and personal income at $46,800. Kingston is in the Providence MSA which has population of 1,614,750 and personal income of $50,650. Stats can always be found to support any view. But having will, thinking big, not accepting the past, etc. are the important qualitative factors so necessary to success.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Tuesday A-10 action:

George Washington at Florida State 7 PM. On ACCNE.

VMI at Duquesne. 7 PM.

UNC Wilmington at Davidson. 7 PM. UNCW is forecasted to be a middle of the pack Colonial team. Interesting to see if Davidson continues its great three point shooting.

Games involving URI OOC opponents:

Iona at Syracuse. 7 PM. On ACCNE. Iona opened its season with a tough loss at Albany, 69-67.

Lipscomb at Alabama. 8 PM. On SECN. Lipscomb finished second to FGCU in last season's Atlantic Sun Conference and is expected to duplicate that performance this year.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Tuesday A-10 action:

Florida State over George Washington, 87-67. No contest as FSU rolled from the opening tip.

Duquesne beats VMI comfortably, 77-61. The Dukes move to 2-0 on the season.

Davidson looked like a juggernaut on offense, 13 of 33 on treys, as the Wildcats routed UNCW, 108-81.

Games involving URI OOC opponents:

Iona falls at Syracuse, 71-62.Though Syracuse led most of the game, it was close contest with Iona reducing the deficit to 2 at the 5 minute mark, but Syracuse was able to get separation from that point to end.

Alabama beat Lipscomb, 86-64. The game was closer that the score indicates with Lipscomb down by 4 with 10 minutes left, but The Crimson Tide poured it on from there.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Slim pickings for Wednesday action.

Only A-10 game has Maryland-Eastern Shore visiting St. Bonaventure in a campus round game in the Emerald Coast Classic. 7 PM.

In OOC opponents games:

Indiana visits #22 Seton Hall. Gavitt Tip Off game. 6:30 PM. On FS1,

Nevada at Santa Clara. 10 PM.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Good night to check out Seton Hall against a decent opponent.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's see if Archie's boys can keep it close ??
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Seton Hall in a convincing win over Indiana, 84-68. The Pirates are now 3-0 and will without a doubt be unbeaten when they face URI at Barclay's on Thanksgiving evening.

The St. Bonaventure game against MD- Eastern shore has been cancelled due to a power failure at the Reilly Center. No rescheduled date has been announced.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

19 points 11 rebounds for Angel Delgado
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Delgado definitely looks like he could be a problem....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In late night action on the West Coast, Nevada rolled over Santa Clara, 93-63. The Wolfpack had four players in double digits.

Thursday's schedule of games.

In the A-10:

Virginia Tech meets Saint Louis in the 2K Classic at Madison Square Garden. 7 PM. On ESPN2.

Binghamton at George Mason in a campus game of the Cancun Challenge. 7 PM.

South Alabama at La Salle in a campus game of the Hall of Fame Tip Off. 7 PM.

Dayton versus Hofstra in the Gildan Charleston Classic. 7:30 PM.

Harvard at Holy Cross. 7 PM.

Washington versus PC in the 2K Classic at MSG. 9 PM. On ESPN2.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Obadiah wrote:In late night action on the West Coast, Nevada rolled over Santa Clara, 93-63. The Wolfpack had four players in double digits.

In Wednesday's action.

In the A-10:

Virginia Tech meets Saint Louis in the 2K Classic at Madison Square Garden. 7 PM. On ESPN2.

It's worth noting that Nevada was a 5 point favorite. I feel they continue to be underrated and will ride the Nevada train until the lines start catching up. They're a very good team that could have a season similar to Cincinnati's last year.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:In late night action on the West Coast, Nevada rolled over Santa Clara, 93-63. The Wolfpack had four players in double digits.

In Wednesday's action.

In the A-10:

It's worth noting that Nevada was a 5 point favorite. I feel they continue to be underrated and will ride the Nevada train until the lines start catching up. They're a very good team that could have a season similar to Cincinnati's last year.
Interesting that Muss played Cody Martin 38 minutes in a 30 point victory. Wonder how the Santa Clara HC felt about that. Game was decided by halftime.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In Wednesday's action.
In the A-10:

Great Night for Basketball on TV:
7:30 pm - Hofstra (2-0) vs Dayton (1-0) Charleston SC with Dayton favored by 1.5. Rokas Gustys averaging 10ppg and 12.5 rpg. ESPNU I think Hofstra upsets Dayton
7:00pm - St Louis vs Virginia Tech Madison Square Garden with VaTech favored by 13.5. Great test for an up and coming St Louis team. I predict SLU pulls a big upset here ESPN2
9:30pm PC vs Washington Madison Square Garden with PC favored by 9. Please Washington, I'm picking you with the upset!!! :D :D :D ESPN2

I know it's not college BUT:
8:00pm Golden State @ Boston. Golden State 7 straight wins, Boston 13 straight wins. Golden State favored by 7.5 points. City of Boston will be glued to this one. Boston with the upset.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The SBU game with Maryland-Eastern Shore was cancelled to to power issues at the Reilly Center. Power was initially out. After working on it, it was restored and the players took to the court for warmups only to have it go out again. Game was part of a tournament and it does not look like it will be rescheduled. Ticket holders might have to be refunded.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster wrote:
In Wednesday's action.
In the A-10:

Great Night for Basketball on TV:
7:30 pm - Hofstra (2-0) vs Dayton (1-0) Charleston SC with Dayton favored by 1.5. Rokas Gustys averaging 10ppg and 12.5 rpg. ESPNU I think Hofstra upsets Dayton
7:00pm - St Louis vs Virginia Tech Madison Square Garden with VaTech favored by 13.5. Great test for an up and coming St Louis team. I predict SLU pulls a big upset here ESPN2
9:30pm PC vs Washington Madison Square Garden with PC favored by 9. Please Washington, I'm picking you with the upset!!! :D :D :D ESPN2

I know it's not college BUT:
8:00pm Golden State @ Boston. Golden State 7 straight wins, Boston 13 straight wins. Golden State favored by 7.5 points. City of Boston will be glued to this one. Boston with the upset.

Ramster like your spunk, but I'll wager you VA Tech wins and easy in that game. Don't see Providence losing either. Hope your right in both cases, but don't see it at all.

Celts gonna be tough obviously, but I like that pick too. Maybe too much heart in that one for me though.
0 x