Banner Unveil

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Banner Unveil

Unread post by Martyf250 »

Anyone hear anything about a banner unveiling, etc before the UNC game Nov. 10?
Last edited by Martyf250 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Banner Unveil

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'd call it the Banner Raising. Season tix holder party had the unveil. :)
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Time?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Looks great, but showing pictures prior to the season opener is a little anti-climatic don't you think?
6 x
GO RAMS
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Looks great, but showing pictures prior to the season opener is a little anti-climatic don't you think?
Maybe but remember they were already unveiled and had pictures taken from the full season ticket holder event. I doubt at this point they do another unveil next week.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Looks great, but showing pictures prior to the season opener is a little anti-climatic don't you think?
We are hilariously bad at this type of thing.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:
We are hilariously bad at this type of thing.
Not enough practice?
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There won’t be any distracting ceremony on opening night. They still should have teased the crap out of this to get more fans in the seats. No need to show it now.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yet another missed marketing opportunity. shocker
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Seriously????

It's been 18 years since we've had any kind of championship, and they don't raise the banner for the first time on opening night???? Typical URI.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In most situations, banners are usually hung and then "re-hung" or "unveiled" in a ceremony on opening night.

I don't have any inside information on this, but I would assume that would be the case. At least I hope it would. Agreed that it would be kinda lame to just do a mid-Friday internet post of it, so I would figure for some sort of unveiling next week.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Should bring back Kuran, a fan favorite who is in the area, and have him and some of the seniors do the unveil before opening tip.
Easy way to get fans excited and keep linkage to previous players. Something we also don't do too well.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

UNC did their National Championship banner during Late Night Madness.

https://scout.com/college/north-carolin ... -108809959
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would also introduce the lineup every home game with "And for the Atlantic 10 champions, University of Rhode Island ...."
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That sounds great, maybe until the first game is tipped, but...it's new teams and a new championship every year. I don't really see college teams as 'defending champs' because of the (required) transitory nature of rosters. But, if we could type multiple pages about how to handle naming the game threads...should probably be able to squeeze out a page or two at least on intros...right? :-)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote:I would also introduce the lineup every home game with "And for the Atlantic 10 champions, University of Rhode Island ...."
Agree. Engendering pride in the program and school is what good marketing can do, and URI doesn't do enough. That's an easy way, amongst others, to position URI as big time.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think there will be any ceremony on Nov 10th. Women play at 5:00 and Men’s game is at 7:30. Our great marketing strategy for opening night was to try to get prople to come early to watch part of the women’s game. We don’t even have to pay :)

Sounds much better than celebrating our second ever A10 Championship and first NCAA Tournament in 19 years :(
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't assume that just because the announced game time is 7:30 that it precludes them from doing something to honor last year's team. It isn't a law that the tip has to go up at 7:30, especially because this isn't a national TV game or anything. I would be surprised if there wasn't some acknowledgement, even if as ATP says they want to minimize distractions for the players.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Not happy at all! I refuse to believe their stupidity. Something will happen next Friday.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I think we should get a collection going to get hass a plane ticket.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Don't get your hopes up for an opening night ceremony. Just enjoy seeing those new banners up high, where the shitty NIT ones were, when you arrive nice and early for the game next week.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know what you mean by ceremony. But if they dont do anything, everyone in the athletic department should be fired. They don't need to make a whole thing with dignitaries and everything, but they have to acknowledge it. Even as part of the pregame intros or whatever, turn the lights down and light up the banners. But they'd be the first team in the history of sports to win a championship, put up a banner, and then not acknowledge it in some way.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't know what you mean by ceremony. But if they dont do anything, everyone in the athletic department should be fired. They don't need to make a whole thing with dignitaries and everything, but they have to acknowledge it. Even as part of the pregame intros or whatever, turn the lights down and light up the banners. But they'd be the first team in the history of sports to win a championship, put up a banner, and then not acknowledge it in some way.
Maybe the shine a light on it or make it part of a video prior to introductions.
I don’t think it will be anything separate like the unveiling of the banners.
Nothing you need to get there early for.
I hope they do something
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

theblueram wrote:UNC did their National Championship banner during Late Night Madness.

https://scout.com/college/north-carolin ... -108809959
They needed to get it up as quickly as possible in case they are forced to take it down
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Betting it's just a test of the fit and rigging for the new banners.

You know, measure twice cut once
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Betting it's just a test of the fit and rigging for the new banners.

You know, measure twice cut once
......of all the theories out there, I/ll go with this one....... how embaronising it would be :oops: to have a failed launch during the hoist......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......if I heard Dan correctly the banners are in place, done......just on radio show.....he basically said the team has moved on.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

definitely ok with that....it's not like a pro team... new team, new championship every year, not really "defending"
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:......if I heard Dan correctly the banners are in place, done......just on radio show.....he basically said the team has moved on.....
you heard correctly. That is behind us he said, we already celebrated. Now focused on this season and Friday night's game. DH also commented about how Senior night can be a distraction but they needed to be focused on Friday night.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
section(105) wrote:......if I heard Dan correctly the banners are in place, done......just on radio show.....he basically said the team has moved on.....
you heard correctly. That is behind us he said, we already celebrated. Now focused on this season and Friday night's game. DH also commented about how Senior night can be a distraction but they needed to be focused on Friday night.
This is 100% the approach that the team should take. It is, however, asinine and indefensibly stupid for the game operations people and promotions people to not work some acknowledgement of the banners/accomplishments into the pregame. The team doesn't have to be involved, that is their prerogative and I totally agree with that. What I don't agree with is that decision having anything to do with game ops. The two things have nothing to do with each other.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....TP; maybe Buckets will work some unscripted stuff into his opening.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

They could have done it at halftime, or before the game when the team was still in the locker room......for the fans. I know I would have enjoyed the hell out of it.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't necessarily mind that they're not doing something before the game if they feel it will be a distraction. That said, I'm pissed off that the only real unveiling was as an unannounced part of the season ticket holder night. If you were having it that night it should have been announced. Or have it as the foundation for Rhody Madness. Too late now, but really botched execution.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......before we go off on the absence of anything happening here, can we wait Friday nite to see actually does or does not happen......we have not had a lot of experience with this sorta thing in a while....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

They've posted the banners up in the rafters and they said on the coach's show there will be no ceremony. What more do you need?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:They've posted the banners up in the rafters and they said on the coach's show there will be no ceremony. What more do you need?
Me nothing, for those not at the season tix event, I can see some feeling sorta empty.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Well it’s a humble approach I guess.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They did a lot of celebrations for last years team . Now we are on to this years team time to focus
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I was more excited to see Hass coming down the escalator at Green Airport carrying the championship trophy...beats a banner raising every day...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

adam914 wrote:
It's only for the people paying for all this, that's all ...
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.