Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - 6pm Wed Nov 1 @ 210 Oyster Bar

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:This team will reach its ceiling if Ryan Preston is logging the majority of minutes at the 4 by mid to end of season. Our best lineup will include him if we are to compete with the big boys.
It won't. Dan talked about the "math" of playing so many guards because he wants Fatts out there. If we're not playing a 4th guard a majority of the time, our guards won't get minutes - and since they're our best players and scorers we're going to want them on the floor as much as possible.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - 6pm Tue Nov 7 @ Dan's Place

Unread post by bigappleram »

Right now there is no doubt that is the best option. However matchups will weigh in here...and all I am saying is that if we want to compete with the P5 teams we will play in March we will need more than Cyril and 4 guards for 35 minutes. Another bigger player, whether that be Preston or Akele or Berry/Layssard is going to have to take a step forward during the season.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm honestly thinking of a different approach where we dictate the matchups, instead of the other way around.

We have 4 seniors in our backcourt who will probably figure to play 25+ minutes a night. We also have a sophomore stud who was our best guard at times in the A10 and NCAA tournaments. There's also the quickest player these eyes have seen in Keaney Blue on the bench.

Look for Dan to force teams to keep pace while we're running up and down.

We finally have the talent to force teams to play our style, rather than try to match up and hang around.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The team needs to get better at running. Too many missed opportunities.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree with Iggy, we haven't shown the propensity to be a great offensive running team. On top of that if you don't rebound at a high level the only way to be effective at pushing tempo is by forcing live ball turnovers. Also not necessarily Dan's defensive philosophy, to gamble for TOs vs playing lock down half court defense. So I like the idea of us dictating tempo and bringing the Running Rams back, but that doesn't just happen because a bunch of guards are our best players.

Here is an easy scenario to ponder...when we play Davidson who is covering Peyton Aldridge? If we have Stan or EC on him for 30 minutes he is going to score 50. 20 of our 29 games this won't matter, we can play 4 guards for large stretches and overwhelm teams with our back court depth. But those 9 games plus NCAAs we will need other weapons or we will be very vulnerable in key areas.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan manages minutes for every player rightfully so. My recollection is he would play his top plsyers 7 minutes and then rest them for 3 minutes. No one is going to play 35 minutes per game.
Terrell avg 30.7 mins/game last year and that was with Garrett sick, EC coming back from surgery, Stan unproven and a backup Fr PG who didn’t get quality minutes until late January.
EC avg 29.3 minutes. No one else on the team avg more than 26 minutes.

Guess on mins/game this year:
Terrell 30
EC 28
Jarvis 26
Jeff 24
Stan 20
Fatts 10

Cyril 26 (will get more if he stays out of foul trouble)
Akele 18
Preston 10
Layssard 6 (banging inside when Cyril sits)
Berry 2

That would equate to 22 minutes with 3Gs in the lineup and 18 minutes with 4Gs in the lineup
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I would be shocked if there will be any comments what so ever regarding the Stan situation; either via Steve’s questions or Dan offering any info......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

section(105) wrote:......I would be shocked if there will be any comments what so ever regarding the Stan situation; either via Steve’s questions or Dan offering any info......
Even if Steve asked, what could Dan say?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Steve won't ask that question, and if by some chance he does it will be because Dan agreed ahead of time to the question. This isn't a gotcha session
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This tells you right here neither Steve, Dan or anyone will say anything. They can't. URI has said so in this statement.

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote:
section(105) wrote:......I would be shocked if there will be any comments what so ever regarding the Stan situation; either via Steve’s questions or Dan offering any info......
And by the time Steve got through his preamble, the show would be over.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
And by the time Steve got through his preamble, the show would be over.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love Steve...and he just might be the best preamble-er on the planet....
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Question. The title of the thread says Nov 7 at Dan's Place, but the article link ramster posted says Mews?
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote:Question. The title of the thread says Nov 7 at Dan's Place, but the article link ramster posted says Mews?
Good question. The listing of shows at the beginning of this thread also shows Nov 7 at Dans Place. I’m assuming it has changed but best to call ahead to Mews to confirm.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Hurley says no brace for E.C. on Friday night.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

E.C. says he expects all of his numbers to be better this season, and also expects to be a better playmaker compared to previous years.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

So great to hear EC talk as a 5th year senior... Amazing to see how much this guy has grown since he first stepped on campus with everything he's been through. Enjoy the ride this year.. will be a huge void left when he's gone
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......working on some award winning signs......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Summary of Show:
- Will not have a celebration Friday night. That is over, already did that. Don't want the distraction, it is now about this season
- In Scrimmage with Harvard the big men played well which was nice to see
- Said Langevine is playing explosively
- They have 6 guards to play but Russell has to get on the court. DH said Russell could lead the A10 Conference in scoring 1 or 2 times in his career, he is that good. Very quick, steals the ball
- When asked which player DH would like to say "at mid season that this guy was a nice surprise" he said Andre Berry. Mentioned Berry has taken some 3's and they have even encouraged that but saying now they want Berry taking more inside shots. Has been impressed by him. DH said they need Berry to be that guy.
- Dan talked about UNC Ashville and how strong a team they are

EC was the guest tonight:
- DH said EC played half the game vs Harvard
- Dan's dad was at practice today and his dad commented about how explosive and how well EC was playing without the knee brace. EC and Dan said the knee brace is now gone. His dad said EC was passing the ball very well and getting wherever he wanted to off the dribble.
- Dan said in his 20 years of coaching that EC is the hardest working player he has ever had.
- Dan talked about EC's game off the dribble and his passing.
- They compared DH to EC's HS Coach who is now at Buffalo. They joked some about how tough the URI 2 hour practice was this past Monday.
- DH and EC talked about how well Hassan Martin was playing in Japan
- DH talked and joked some about EC's recruiting and his unofficial visit that went so well at URI even though it was not a nice day, BUT EC also made a visit to UCONN around that same time and they were worried about the UCONN video room and facilities offered.
6 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramster, thanks for a great summary.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Sounds like Langevine is back to full strength and his knee is healthy.

Any idea what Stan's status will be Friday and against Nevada next week?

That is quite a comment by Dan about Fatts. I don't recall any similar comments by Dan about any other recruits / freshmen. As a matter of fact his comments have been typically on the low key side.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hard to figure out the Berry situation. Last week’s show (after Buffalo game) Dan made comments that sounded like Berry was being pushed back. He said they made a mistake with Berry and expected too much. He also said he needed to get Preston more playing time. Now this week Berry is this great scorer and great offensive rebounder. Confusing.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Rhody83 wrote:
Hard to figure out the Berry situation.
Andre Berry, last year an infrequently-played fan favorite, is not the only person on the team for whom it is difficult to figure out the situation.

In terms of the "on again, off again" statements coming from Hurley, I imagine that, at this point in the season, the opinion of the coaching staff regarding any one player changes after each practice and each scrimmage.

Although I have listened intently to the Coach's Show radio broadcasts, what I am really waiting for is the start of OOC play, both to see how much time Hurley gives any one player and also to see how each player performs (on the floor and on the bench) during the game.

"Thank God It's Friday" is taking on a more intense meaning for me this week.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Why do people keep saying Dan has been off and on in regards to Berry?

All he said was that they were putting too much on him. Making him URI's Marc Gasol.
That's just a change of strategy, it doesn't to me, look like that means he's going to play less than he otherwise would have. Dan has maintained that he's improved in the offseason and that he's a good offensive player in the post.
All this Berry stuff has been encouraging to me.
Seems like they made some adjustments to the way they used him since the Buffalo game.
He went from scoring 2 points against Buffalo to being the leading scorer on the team the next week after maybe making some adjustments that played more to his strengths.

Is it Friday yet?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I "hear" what Hurls is saying about AB, but I just don't "see" (haven't seen) him playing good enough D...to play many minutes for this coach...
But, if he scored all those points against Harvard, he must've played enough to stay out there... guess we'll see....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can we get a link to this ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Sounds like Langevine is back to full strength and his knee is healthy.

Any idea what Stan's status will be Friday and against Nevada next week?

That is quite a comment by Dan about Fatts. I don't recall any similar comments by Dan about any other recruits / freshmen. As a matter of fact his comments have been typically on the low key side.
There was no mention of Stan on the radio show in any regard.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:Hard to figure out the Berry situation. Last week’s show (after Buffalo game) Dan made comments that sounded like Berry was being pushed back. He said they made a mistake with Berry and expected too much. He also said he needed to get Preston more playing time. Now this week Berry is this great scorer and great offensive rebounder. Confusing.
It shows the value of Exhibition Games and Scrimmages. Some think there is little or no value to these types of games but for some players these are critically important opportunities. Berry is an example of how important these two games can be. He scored 26 points to lead URI versus Harvard at Harvard. Harvard has a good team and some good big men. Berry was strong on the offensive boards.
On the show Steve asked DH, by midseason who is the player you would like to be able to talk about who really impressed above what might have been expected? DH quickly responded Berry, and he said they need Berry to be that guy. He did not say he would be, but hoped he would be and also he said that they need him to be that guy.

It's important to know the context of the question and the discussion. DH did not say Berry will be that guy, but they hoped he will be that guy and need him to be that guy.

This is classic Dan giving guys the opportunity to earn playing time and a potential starting position. What is interesting about this year's team is that they lost two of the A10's best big men in Martin and Iverson plus had a solid Langevine ready to come off the bench.

Now with Langevine as a starter DH needs to fill the other starting spot plus the big man off the bench. Both of these two positions (5th starter and 1st big off bench) are to be determined. And the 5th starter could come from a big man or from a guard. Pretty wide open - and could depend on the opponent any given night.

Let the games begin!!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - 6pm Tue Nov 7 @ Mews Tavern

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

An underrated aspect of Berry's game is his screen setting. When he was getting burn 2 years ago his screens were trap doors or something. the guy he screened would disappear. In that part of the game he was light years ahead of anyone on the team.

Since that year when he played a bit more they haven't used his on ball screen. I imagine because he wasn't the threat that Martin was to dive and dunk at the basket. BUT Berry's screen gobbling people up and his height in finishing was deadly. Hope they use that a bit. Running through a Berry screen probably takes something out of you. Then imagine having to keep up with the rest of these guards with that involved. Still he lost a lot of weight so who knows if they're still that potent.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Any comments about the twin bench-sitters?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:Any comments about the twin bench-sitters?
As was said earlier, DH was pleased with the big men in the scrimmage with Harvard. He did mention Mike Layssard positively but I don't recall the exact wording.
And consider Langevine was held out of the Harvard Scrimmage so for DH to e complimentary of the performance of the Big Men is noteworthy.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Still no link for this week’s episode?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The Rhodymbb instagram page posted a photo from practice yesterday - two things stood out, in the photo it looked like our first team was playing a 1-3-1 zone...and it looked like Tertsea was in the middle of it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This is the photo I am referencing for those not on Insta

0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

bigappleram wrote:The Rhodymbb instagram page posted a photo from practice yesterday - two things stood out, in the photo it looked like our first team was playing a 1-3-1 zone...and it looked like Tertsea was in the middle of it.
A third thing stands out to me - they're about to give up a wide-open layup. :lol:
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I really hope that Mike Tertsea gets a few minutes, for me getting nothing more than a eye ball test.....which at this point would a huge jump in PT......and not just garbage time either.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RFORTE wrote:Still no link for this week’s episode?
Nope. Very lame. Just tweeted @ 920AM WHJJ

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sf2010 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:The Rhodymbb instagram page posted a photo from practice yesterday - two things stood out, in the photo it looked like our first team was playing a 1-3-1 zone...and it looked like Tertsea was in the middle of it.
A third thing stands out to me - they're about to give up a wide-open layup. :lol:
Looks like a nice no look pass from Jarvis to Layssard! For a 2 hand jam!
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Probably just part of their preparation for UNC-Asheville, I'd assume they'll play some 1-3-1. Highly doubt this is a new wrinkle in our defensive schemes
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not saying it’s a new wrinkle just that it’s something we were practicing. With EC, Jared and Stan all playing defense I doubt it’s us playing against UNCA set.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

God damn u WHJJ not giving us a link to listen to
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show - 6pm Wed Nov 29 @ Mews Tavern

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

After a few tweets, we finally get last week's show.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Anyone else planning on attending the show in person on Wednesday?
0 x
Skinnyfatts
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Skinnyfatts »

I’m gonna go get drunk at Mews and ask Danny to please best PC , anyone else want in
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Skinnyfatts wrote:I’m gonna go get drunk at Mews and ask Danny to please best PC , anyone else want in

DH wants nothing more to win this game. I'll be there for sure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yup.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

that's the plan