11/10 | UNC Asheville Bulldogs | 7:30PM (NIT Season Tip-Off)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: 11/10 | UNC Asheville Bulldogs | 7:30PM (NIT Season Tip-Off)

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

So... I am taking a look at my social media accounts right now, and all suggestions (obviously) are to arrive early tomorrow. Men's game starts at 7:30, women's game starts at 5. Assuming the women's game is over RIGHT on the dot at 6:30 (most likely closer to 7).. do the doors still open at 6:30? By everything I've looked at I am still unclear. Does everyone attending the women's game have to exist the RC, and then re-enter if they have tickets for the men's game?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote:So... I am taking a look at my social media accounts right now, and all suggestions (obviously) are to arrive early tomorrow. Men's game starts at 7:30, women's game starts at 5. Assuming the women's game is over RIGHT on the dot at 6:30 (most likely closer to 7).. do the doors still open at 6:30? By everything I've looked at I am still unclear. Does everyone attending the women's game have to exist the RC, and then re-enter if they have tickets for the men's game?
Ticket states "double-header", looks like one ticket for both games
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's great to encourage people to get to games early. I'm guessing most people work until 5. Depending on where they work/live, many can't get there much before 7. Getting home and getting a quick bite takes time. I work until 6 in Bristol. With Newport traffic, it takes at least an hour to get to campus. I can't get to 7 o'clock games. The only reason I'm going to this one is the 7:30 start. I'm a little concerned about the parking situation now. I can envision being stuck in traffic backed up on 138. What if the Plains Rd. lot is full? Then what? I like my ass to be in my seat before tipoff. That's part of the excitement and the buildup to the game. Plus, I'm 60 years old. I can't be walking from a lot a half a mile away.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:It's great to encourage people to get to games early. I'm guessing most people work until 5. Depending on where they work/live, many can't get there much before 7. Getting home and getting a quick bite takes time. I work until 6 in Bristol. With Newport traffic, it takes at least an hour to get to campus. I can't get to 7 o'clock games. The only reason I'm going to this one is the 7:30 start. I'm a little concerned about the parking situation now. I can envision being stuck in traffic backed up on 138. What if the Plains Rd. lot is full? Then what? I like my ass to be in my seat before tipoff. That's part of the excitement and the buildup to the game. Plus, I'm 60 years old. I can't be walking from a lot a half a mile away.
No! I am sure there are a lot of people in the same boat as you. URI is not a walking-friendly campus if you're going downhill/uphill. If you end up having to park in Guam tomorrow I wonder if there is shuttle service to the RC? Either way, I am feeling a logistical nightmare tomorrow.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another thing about the parking situation. If it IS a nightmare, it will scare away the casual fan from going to future games, whether it be someone who experiences it first hand, or by word of mouth.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:Another thing about the parking situation. If it IS a nightmare, it will scare away the casual fan from going to future games, whether it be someone who experiences it first hand, or by word of mouth.
Exactly! Diehards don't care. Fairweather fans don't want to be bothered by anything deemed inconvenient. Even waiting too long in the Dunkin Donuts line.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taylor Swift wrote:So... I am taking a look at my social media accounts right now, and all suggestions (obviously) are to arrive early tomorrow. Men's game starts at 7:30, women's game starts at 5. Assuming the women's game is over RIGHT on the dot at 6:30 (most likely closer to 7).. do the doors still open at 6:30? By everything I've looked at I am still unclear. Does everyone attending the women's game have to exist the RC, and then re-enter if they have tickets for the men's game?
I thought the whole point of playing the games back to back was to try to get people to go to both. I think its a single admission. Doors should open for the night at 4:30.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Now I'm hearing, albeit a bit 3rd hand, that Stan may get held out for the first half tomorrow. Who knows
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, single admission double header. Get there early for the women's game
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodysurf wrote:I have two tickets in 203 for Friday if anyone wants them! PM Me

Everyone I go with (myself included) is out of town this weekend unfortunately
rhodysurf, I'm interested and pm'd you. I was planning on the box office walk up tomorrow night, but I'm willing to take them off your hands.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steviep123 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:I have two tickets in 203 for Friday if anyone wants them! PM Me

rhodysurf, I'm interested and pm'd you. I was planning on the box office walk up tomorrow night, but I'm willing to take them off your hands.
Sorry forgot an update post and Ive been in meetings all morning. Tickets were claimed last night! Sorry!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

Sorry forgot an update post and Ive been in meetings all morning. Tickets were claimed last night! Sorry!
Damn! Anyone else looking to unload a pair? I'd rather help someone out here than wait outside in line in the cold.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Damn! Anyone else looking to unload a pair? I'd rather help someone out here than wait outside in line in the cold.
You can buy them online today and pick them up at Will Call. It might prevent waiting outside in the cold tomorrow night.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Notice the football dummies :shock:

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
You can buy them online today and pick them up at Will Call. It might prevent waiting outside in the cold tomorrow night.
I'm too cheap to pay the extra $5 per ticket for the on line order.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
I thought 'Print at Home' and Mobile options were free?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In an email sent out to season ticket holders they said that the men's game will start one hour after the women's game has ended.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What time will the pub open?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:In an email sent out to season ticket holders they said that the men's game will start one hour after the women's game has ended.
Wouldn't that most likely be closer to 8:00?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
I'll try again, but when I tried last week it say $5 per ticket fee. I didn't even order them.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:In an email sent out to season ticket holders they said that the men's game will start one hour after the women's game has ended.
Feels like it, but maybe a women's game has fewer and shorter timeouts
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
I think the women's game is at 5. So yeah, probably closer to 8, unless a women's game would be significantly less than 2 hours.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

steviep123 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
I'll try again, but when I tried last week it say $5 per ticket fee. I didn't even order them.
Bought mine online a couple weeks back. There is a processing fee online even when printing at home.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Less media timeouts I'm guessing.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Game notes and preview are up on GoRhody.com.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1108sdc03c
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They play quarters so that is rwo extra stops. The rule says 1 media timeout per quarter but is a team uses a timeout before the media timeout, that counts as the media timeout. Each team gets four timeouts (three 30 seconds & one 60 seconds).
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UNC Asheville at Rhode Island
Tip-Off: Friday, Nov. 10, 7:30 p.m. EST * (Game will begin 60 minutes after the women's game concludes)

That sucks. I really think they are screwing this up from a marketing/promotion stand point.
They are going to turn so many fans off. They are trying to leverage last year’s suucess to make a big jump in fan support/attendance. Here is what they have done:
1) Combine with the Womens Game???
2) Raise the banners a month ahead of time and don’t have an opening night ceremony
3) Block roads and eliminate some lots to make parking more difficult
4) Increase security outside the RC to make entry in more challenging
5) Add 60 minutes between the two games (instead of 30) when the only change is the baskets
6) Go with a floating start time and publish a start time that they have no chance of meeting

No thought of attracting a family to the game. It will end at 10:30 and you will get home around 11:30.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......so other than those things “they” done, “they” are doing a decent job on everything else?.....just asking.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:UNC Asheville at Rhode Island
Tip-Off: Friday, Nov. 10, 7:30 p.m. EST * (Game will begin 60 minutes after the women's game concludes)

That sucks. I really think they are screwing this up from a marketing/promotion stand point.
They are going to turn so many fans off. They are trying to leverage last year’s suucess to make a big jump in fan support/attendance. Here is what they have done:
2) Raise the banners a month ahead of time and don’t have an opening night ceremony
5) Add 60 minutes between the two games (instead of 30) when the only change is the baskets
6) Go with a floating start time and publish a start time that they have no chance of meeting

No thought of attracting a family to the game. It will end at 10:30 and you will get home around 11:30.
If the game ends at 10:30, figure at least an hour to get out of the lot and another half hour to get off campus. That gets me home about 12:45.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steviep123 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Steviep, I have two tix I won't be using . PM me.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote:

If the game ends at 10:30, figure at least an hour to get out of the lot and another half hour to get off campus. That gets me home about 12:45.

.....the bus return from 11/24 Brooklyn trip gets back to Kingston Hill at either 2 or 4 AM......just saying......fans do that stuff, no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

.....the bus return from 11/24 Brooklyn trip gets back to Kingston Hill at either 2 or 4 AM......just saying......fans do that stuff, no?
There's just something about sitting in a parking lot, not moving at all, that gets a little aggravating. If I'm on that bus, I'm most likely asleep.
2 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

fired up for tomorrow night--finally going to rewatch the last 3 games of last season n delete them off my dvr tonight!! As the quest for the sweet 16 beings n less then 24 hours!! GO RHODY
4 x
UNCA Alum
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UNCA Alum »

Women’s game better not go to quadruple OT!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UNCA Alum wrote:Women’s game better not go to quadruple OT!
I think they just call it a tie after the second OT.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The later it starts the better for me since I'll be at work :)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's probably too late now, but thinking about this some more, there really is no reason not to have some kind of banner ceremony tonight. With an hour between the two games I'm sure there is going to be plenty of time where neither team is on the court. If the team is in the locker room, what kind of distraction would that be?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:It's probably too late now, but thinking about this some more, there really is no reason not to have some kind of banner ceremony tonight. With an hour between the two games I'm sure there is going to be plenty of time where neither team is on the court. If the team is in the locker room, what kind of distraction would that be?
Yes, I could go for something, anything rather than nothing.....maybe EZ Buckets will work something into his opening, maybe some spot lighting on the new banners during darkened hall player intros, looking up to them at various times during this season will give me a quiet, confident feeling that our program has arrived at the doorstep of a national program that now can be sustained....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The uncertainty about the start time along with the new parking and security measures makes it tough to make plans. I am uncertain if I will have time for a nice sit down dinner or will need to go more fast service route. Will be pissed if I hurry dinner only to later sit around the Ryan Center for a long period waiting for the game to begin.
0 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Its Game Day!!! Bring on the Bulldogs!!!!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

UNCA starting 4 players 6'3" or smaller. Do we go 4 guards starting? Or do we start Berry? Andre could possibly dominate on the offensive boards against this small team. But who does he guard on defense? I guess he could guard their big, but that takes Cyril away from the basket to guard one of the 6'3" guys.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Isn't this the ideal game for us to just go four guards? The lack of height won't hurt us, we have our most talented players get the most minutes and they shouldn't have the depth of talent to beat us?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:UNCA starting 4 players 6'3" or smaller. Do we go 4 guards starting? Or do we start Berry? Andre could possibly dominate on the offensive boards against this small team. But who does he guard on defense? I guess he could guard their big, but that takes Cyril away from the basket to guard one of the 6'3" guys.
ideally we see no Berry tonight except mop up time. their guards will run circles around him
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Isn't this the ideal game for us to just go four guards? The lack of height won't hurt us, we have our most talented players get the most minutes and they shouldn't have the depth of talent to beat us?
That's what I would think. But if Stan doesn't play, we only have 5 guards. Maybe Akele sees more time since he's much quicker than Berry.
0 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Billyboy78 wrote:UNCA starting 4 players 6'3" or smaller. Do we go 4 guards starting? Or do we start Berry? Andre could possibly dominate on the offensive boards against this small team. But who does he guard on defense? I guess he could guard their big, but that takes Cyril away from the basket to guard one of the 6'3" guys.
I say roll with our known strength and rotate with 4 guards (I see Fatts getting some decent mins in this game). Don't sleep on Akele and Preston too---I like their high motor style of play and if Akele can get some confidence on his shot it'll open things up for us. I'm less concerned on our offense and more concerned on our defense and I think this game will test our guards on D.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would think some of our ability to play four guards is dependent on Stan's status. He has the right kind of game to be a fourth guard, whereas if the fourth guard is Jarvis/Fatts we are little less competitive from a size standpoint.

On another note, has anyone been able to find a line for this game? I usually get it from vegasinsider and they have lines for about 50 games tonight, but not our game (unless I missed it).
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:I would think some of our ability to play four guards is dependent on Stan's status. He has the right kind of game to be a fourth guard, whereas if the fourth guard is Jarvis/Fatts we are little less competitive from a size standpoint.

On another note, has anyone been able to find a line for this game? I usually get it from vegasinsider and they have lines for about 50 games tonight, but not our game (unless I missed it).
......point spread; checked bunch of sites, including Team Rankings, my go to site, could not find one..... :x
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote:I would think some of our ability to play four guards is dependent on Stan's status. He has the right kind of game to be a fourth guard, whereas if the fourth guard is Jarvis/Fatts we are little less competitive from a size standpoint.

I know a lot more goes into setting and moving a point spread but Team Rankings has URI winning by 12 (74-62). I'd imagine the line won't be too far from that mark unless the entire alumni population of UNCA throws money on their team to drive the line down.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If Stan isn’t in the game,EC (6-5) or Terrell (6-3 and strong) would play the 4 as the 4th guard. Jarvis and Fatts would never play the 4.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
If Stan isn’t in the game,EC (6-5) or Terrell (6-3 and strong) would play the 4 as the 4th guard. Jarvis and Fatts would never play the 4.
Seriously that's what you thought I meant?

The fourth guard - meaning the guy who would not be one of the tree starting guards in a traditional lineup - doesn't have to play the "four," especially since there isn't a "four" in a four guard lineup. That's the whole point.

My point is that overall you are much smaller if you have either Jarvis or Fatts on the floor instead of Stan. Stan is a strong, aggressive player and that helps cover up some of the weaknesses inherent in playing with a smaller lineup.
1 x