WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
ramster wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:

Sooo the police report is now automatically fact? We’re just going to assume that there’s no possible way the officer didn’t inflame the issue with his words? No that doesn’t happen, cops never lie (hahaha)

Yeaaah sounds to me like some white SK cop didn’t like that Coach Boswell was trying to keep his player out of trouble and took issue with it to Boswell so Boswell would say something so the cop could slap “resisting arrest” bullshit charges
And you don’t know for sure either.
I knnoowwww aaaa lottt morreee than most there champ, trust me on that. Maybe you should think about my info on each recruit and on this topic regarding how this would eventually play out...
LO bleepn L...do we have a "My, um, 'knowledge' is bigger than yours" contest here or what?
5 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

All I’m saying is there speculation and fact. More than most of my posts are based on facts, not speculation...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:All I’m saying is there speculation and fact. More than most of my posts are based on facts, not speculation...
I love a lot of your "facts."

Yeaaah sounds to me like some white SK cop didn’t like that Coach Boswell was trying to keep his player out of trouble and took issue with it to Boswell so Boswell would say something so the cop could slap “resisting arrest” bullshit charges.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can say from social media Stan isn't acting like someone who may sit out any games.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:All I’m saying is there speculation and fact. More than most of my posts are based on facts, not speculation...

Yeaaah sounds to me like some white SK cop didn’t like that Coach Boswell was trying to keep his player out of trouble and took issue with it to Boswell so Boswell would say something so the cop could slap “resisting arrest” bullshit charges.
That doesn’t sound like facts to me. It sounds like speculation. There were plenty of witnesses who saw Boswell act inappropriately outside the bathroom and rile up the crowd outside the bathroom.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

That doesn’t sound like facts to me. It sounds like speculation. There were plenty of witnesses who saw Boswell act inappropriately outside the bathroom and rile up the crowd outside the bathroom.
Yetttt none have actually come forward... let’s givebthis thread a burial plot and move forward...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

Yetttt none have actually come forward... let’s givebthis thread a burial plot and move forward...
Yeah...let's just denigrate the cop and move on.... :roll:
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Still no word of a re-instatement?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Was he at Madness last night?
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Was told the other night by a friend who would be in the know, that there is a still a possibility that Stan may be arrested and suspended a few games.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I wish I could say more...but just can't right now...
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think that possibility is getting less as time goes on.

How long has it been now?

What are they looking for? Enough is enough.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

rambone 78 wrote:I think that possibility is getting less as time goes on.

How long has it been now?

What are they looking for? Enough is enough.
That is what I thought too, hoping nothing comes of it.
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Heard Boswell was back at practice today
2 x
Geneb1052
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Geneb1052 »

Ty boswell case is closed
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Joe95 wrote:Was told the other night by a friend who would be in the know, that there is a still a possibility that Stan may be arrested and suspended a few games.
I guess my source was correct. Hope Stan is only suspended a few games.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dammit Stan, you're my avatar! I hope its a quick slap on the wrist.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Joe95 wrote:
Joe95 wrote:Was told the other night by a friend who would be in the know, that there is a still a possibility that Stan may be arrested and suspended a few games.
I guess my source was correct. Hope Stan is only suspended a few games.
Just my two cents - no guarantee of a suspension. The team has known all of the intimate details about that night for months. Again, this is just my thoughts, but there could've been some behind-the-scenes punishments already levied.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would highly doubt he walks away without any type of games missed. Even if it's only 1 or 2 games, there is going to be a public facing suspension for a formal public facing arrest made. Even if only for PR purposes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I posted this elsewhere......have to think the URI student athlete code of conduct, team rules etc, will result in some form disciplinary action....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

We have games on the 10th and 13th and he's set to be in court on the 16th - would he be held out prior to his court date? Would a suspension begin after his court ruling?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Section104 wrote:We have games on the 10th and 13th and he's set to be in court on the 16th - would he be held out prior to his court date? Would a suspension begin after his court ruling?
After. Team has already released a statement.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Stanford Robinson got his own article on Boston.com (affiliated with the Boston Globe):

URI basketball player faces charges in arena disturbance
https://www.boston.com/sports/college-s ... isturbance
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

you want players with a edge to 'em.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that simple assault implies there was no contact. If he punched the cop in the face, the assault charge would be more serious. So can we drop that accusation? Also, if there is video surveillance, why is he the only one being charged with disorderly conduct? I'm pretty sure his fighting partner(s) wasn't that bathroom stall door.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I'm hearing he's a no-go for Opening night.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Here's the thing on why I don't think Stan will get suspended from the team:

What happened happened, and none of the facts have changed, only the police's reaction - 8 weeks later.

Based on what is known about the arresting officer's questionable arrest history, and the subsequent reaction of the police department, this smacks of a total power trip because Ty was able to plead out and now they want some kind of punishment for anyone just to prove they're still in control.

If the facts of the case and what the police allege are 2 different things, Dan risks losing the locker room just to appease a fan base who's opinions, quite frankly, don't really matter in this situation.

Dan's dad was probation officer, I'm sure he doesn't take matters like this lightly but the larger reality of this situation is this:

Dan is white and the players are not, but no matter what he has his guys back at all times. If they know the facts of the case to be a certain way, and if it seems like a player was racially profiled and coach doesn't have their back? What does that do to the locker room and the team?

This is not as cut and dry as "welp player was arrested suspend him."
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... isturbance

"Robinson is due in court Nov. 16. It's unclear if he has an attorney.

Boswell pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct last month.

The university said Monday it won't comment further until the case is resolved."

Based on this information, if there is any punishment that comes from this, it would be after the Nevada game and before the Brown game. Here is hoping there is no punishment or even better much less happened that night than some are speculating. If it is a one game suspension, missing a game vs Brown is more tolerable than Nevada (from a team perspective).
2 x
UNCA Alum
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UNCA Alum »

Blue Man wrote:Here's the thing on why I don't think Stan will get suspended from the team:

What happened happened, and none of the facts have changed, only the police's reaction - 8 weeks later.

Based on what is known about the arresting officer's questionable arrest history, and the subsequent reaction of the police department, this smacks of a total power trip because Ty was able to plead out and now they want some kind of punishment for anyone just to prove they're still in control.

If the facts of the case and what the police allege are 2 different things, Dan risks losing the locker room just to appease a fan base who's opinions, quite frankly, don't really matter in this situation.

Dan's dad was probation officer, I'm sure he doesn't take matters like this lightly but the larger reality of this situation is this:

Dan is white and the players are not, but no matter what he has his guys back at all times. If they know the facts of the case to be a certain way, and if it seems like a player was racially profiled and coach doesn't have their back? What does that do to the locker room and the team?

This is not as cut and dry as "welp player was arrested suspend him."
(Not a lawyer)

Could the timing of the charges relate to the DA's office simply having more pressing issues on their plate? I don't think they are trying to screw anybody over just to prove they are in control, it's probably just that the prosecutor had more important ish to deal with over the last few months as opposed to this minor infraction. I sincerely hope they aren't that petty!!

Regarding the potential suspension, that decision would have been made a long time ago so I don't think you'll lose the locker room if he doesn't play the first game or two. Programs do not announce suspensions until the last moment b/c they do not want to spend time in the interim talking about it. All across the college basketball world, you will see schools announcing later this week which players failed drug tests... oops I mean "violated team rules"... in the spring and won't be playing this weekend.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody_JAM wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... isturbance

The university said Monday it won't comment further until the case is resolved."

Based on this information, if there is any punishment that comes from this, it would be after the Nevada game and before the Brown game. Here is hoping there is no punishment or even better much less happened that night than some are speculating. If it is a one game suspension, missing a game vs Brown is more tolerable than Nevada (from a team perspective).
It would actually be before the Holy Cross game.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obviuosly this topic is volatile on the Board. A few things that might add some clarity.
The altercation Stan had with the cop was before the bathroom incident.
The cop had a split lip that was from contact.
Stan was thrown out of the RC and came back in.
After coming back into the RC he was involved in the bathroom incident.
0 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

PeterRamTime wrote:
Rhody_JAM wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... isturbance

It would actually be before the Holy Cross game.
My fault, that's what I intended to write.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Time to put this thread to bed, my friends.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well well well, look at that. It's almost as if a big deal was made about nothing!
5 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Well, that's a relief.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Amen ... losing Stan for awhile while EC is injured would have been tough.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Love the good news!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Let's see if all the media such as WPRI and WJAR, who were so quick to report the arrest, also report that all charges were dismissed.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Now that this over, I want to say just a couple of things. No charges were ever brought against the PC players who started all this shit in the first place. Also, sticking up for one of your coach's daughter is a good thing, in my opinion. Once again, I was not there. Just going by what I was told.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Just like I said 4 weeks and 400 posts ago. Just dumb drunk kids nonsense.

Guessing his team punishment at its worst is sitting a half against Holy Cross
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not sure if it's related to this incident, the EC injury or just a general sense of purpose but Stan who was a pretty active social media user posted that he is off all social media until April. I likey, let's goooooo Rhody!
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Players don't usually post during season
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We were overdue for some good news
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote:Players don't usually post during season
Then you must not be talking about our players.
Many of them are active (and have been in the past) on instagram. EC posted today taking shots sitting in a chair with a cast on.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Glad this crap is over let's move on to Holy Cross
3 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

As for Stan, he spent that break hunkered in the shade, a strange little smile on his face, watching us drink his beer...On to to Holy Cross and putting this all behind us!
5 x