10/28 | Buffalo Bulls | 1pm (exhibition)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: 10/28 | Buffalo Bulls | 1pm (exhibition)

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I hope that’s the last charity game we do for a while. Woof.
I think you’re being a bit shortsighted here, we should be doing more charity, no lose, games like this. The experience of this game will be huge going forward
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

How is it that Tertsea didn't even play? What's up with that?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Exhibition vs Buffalo for hurricane charity

Unread post by CT Rhody »

What was the crowd size?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You all know I'm a Jarvis fan. I have been ever since I saw him play at ND Prep. I think he looks great. If he's healthy, I don't think it's a lock that Dowtin starts over him. And if he comes off the bench, I think he's the first guard off the bench over Stan. Stan has a lot of value, especially on defense, but I think he forces his offense too much. I think Jarvis is a better player.
I don't think Berry is in good enough shape to play at this level. I think both Preston and Akele bring more to the table than Andre. I think the only time he should play is when Langevine is in foul trouble (which unfortunately, could be often).
I love the pressure Fatts puts on the ball defensively. He and Jarvis do it all over the court, and as quick as Jarvis is, Fatts is even quicker. There's quite a bit of contact. We'll see how much the freshman can get away with once the games start for real.
Jared is primed for a huge year.
I'm confused by Langevine. He seems to have a pretty nice shooting motion from the line, but he's got no touch around the basket. But he plays hard and will get tons of rebounds and points off of putbacks.
Yeah, Tertsea is basically sitting with the walk-ons. He isn't playing unless it's a blowout. I watch him in pre-game and he actually moves pretty well for a guy his size. I'm not sure what the problem is.
The offense struggled quite often, but having EC on the court will solve a lot of those problems.
Anyway, 13 more days. Can't wait!
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree on Berry...he might be in the best shape he's been since he's been here...but he is just not in good enough shape to play at this level.
Still can't understand why, with absolutely nothing on the line...Tertsea DNP....
JT looked terrific. Best play of the day was Stan's no-look pass to Akele for the slam....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And speaking of attendance, I think it was somewhat disappointing because there were hardly any students there. If I were still a student, I couldn't have waited to come and see them play. There were a decent amount of us "old" folks there.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My feelings are Preston needs to start at the 4 always has been
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Gorhody.com says about 1300 showed up for the game. Seems about right.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote:My feelings are Preston needs to start at the 4 always has been
He didn't deserve it today.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
reef wrote:My feelings are Preston needs to start at the 4 always has been
He didn't deserve it today.
He did more than Berry though, who did start.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This game was not marketed.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looking at the box score my thoughts are how did we allow them to shoot so well ?? Where is the defense ??

Also we got lucky they crapped themselves at the line ???
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:Looking at the box score my thoughts are how did we allow them to shoot so well ?? Where is the defense ??

Also we got lucky they crapped themselves at the line ???
say it with me now, this.....was.....a.....scrimmage

reading ANYTHING into this is the same as judging the Patriots chances based on a joint practice in training camp
8 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Somebody tell Dan it was "only" a scrimmage. I thought he was going to blow a gasket several times. He was on the refs the entire game and probably would have been T'd up a few times if it were a real game. He was pissed at some of his players too, and yanked them right out of the game when he saw something he didn't like. I worry about Dan's health.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well I don't care if it was a scrimmage or not DH Shouid be upset if we allow them to shoot almost 50 % from the field. Not good enough. I am sure he will get after the team next practice
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...this was old school Hurls....apoplectic at times...whether he should have been or not, this was especially over the top...esp for a scrimmage...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......things coming to your neighborhood.....metal detectors/wands being deployed at the main entrance at the RC, apparently this will be the new normal as PA announcer made multiple reads of new policy and go to Go Rhody for more details......hope they have more of them for big games.....especially the student gate......not your Keaney Gym anymore......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I hope that’s the last charity game we do for a while. Woof.
I think you’re being a bit shortsighted here, we should be doing more charity, no lose, games like this. The experience of this game will be huge going forward
Agree completely. Great low stakes chance to get experience against real teams who would love the bragging rights of a URI takedown given the preseason "hype".
section(105) wrote:......things coming to your neighborhood.....metal detectors/wands being deployed at the main entrance at the RC, apparently this will be the new normal as PA announcer made multiple reads of new policy and go to Go Rhody for more details......hope they have more of them for big games.....especially the student gate......not your Keaney Gym anymore......
Given what's been going on lately this comes as no surprise. I can remember the '15 season opener against American was the same night as the Paris attacks, and I recall looking around and feeling a little wave of unease at how fragile the world can be... which had nothing to do with knee injuries. It will be a pain but I suspect there are many people who will welcome the added sense of security.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

After watching today, i think that the starting lineup will eventually be Garrett, Terrell, EC, Preston, Cyril. Berry does not appear to be a starter and neither does Akele [granted this was one exhibition]. I like Preston's game, he has a nice jumper but size-wise he is smaller than I had imagined. It's strange not seeing Hassan out there.

Fatts was impressive at times, but also drove himself into trouble and got caught in the air a few times. Typical for a freshman. Excited to watch him in the future.

Overall, the game was very choppy due to the amount of fouls. Neither team really got into a good rhythm on offense. Glad the guys got the win, i do think this will be beneficial for the team. The crowd size was embarrassing, but did get loud at times. Also, the ribbon around the 200 level went off a few times. Hopefully that gets taken care of.
2 x
Common sense is not common.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...this was old school Hurls....apoplectic at times...whether he should have been or not, this was especially over the top...esp for a scrimmage...
Looked like his trampoline Dunk move again as he was screaming for a goaltending call!

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's concerning since he calmed down when the the team was good.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thoughts from the game.
Summary - Rhody is going to run, run, push the pace this year. Dan was on that after every rebound. It didn’t convert into many points today but I like it. They played full court D the entire game and are going to pressure the ball for 40 minutes. I think Dan feels that he will wear down the other team (with Rhody’s depth at G) and create a lot of turnovers which they did today. I really like Fatts. He was a little pumped up which showed in his shot selection. This is going to be EC’s, JT’s & JG’s team. It will go however far they take it. JG will be third in scoring.

Terrell (grade A) - great game. Took over at key point in OT. Experience plays to get to the line (15 FTA). Made some good steals.
Garrett (A) - very good game. Solid both ways and good shooting. Would like to see he & JT take over the offense more. Both passed the ball up with 10 secs or less to Fatts, Stan & Dowtin (they struggled with it). Jarvis can definitely play at the same time as Jeff.
Langevine (B) - played well. Struggled with ball underneath. Good at put backs late and great from the line.
Dowtin (C-) - really struggled only FG came late in OT. 0-6 from three. Didn’t take his set shoot. 3 Ast/3 TO. Looked like Dowtin at beginning of last year. Wonder if he was ill.
Berry (C-) - if he can’t score he shouldn’t play ahead of Akele or Preston
Robinson (C-) - looked like Stan from the beginning of last year (1-10, 0-5 3FG, 3 TO). He is not an outside shooter. Needs to drive
Akele (C-) - looked anxious with the ball. Did have 6 rebounds
Preston (C) - didn’t play much (8 mins). Dan quick hooked him several times. Two nice midrange jumpers. Wasn’t strong with the ball on rebound losing a few. Some bad fouls trying for offensive rebounds leading to FTs. Seems to have more potential than Berry & Akele. I hope he plays more.
Fatts (B) - great energy. Some impressive hoops. Tenacious defense on the ball. Made some bad decisions shooting but expected in first game. Dan likes him. Put him back in late with close score. I think he will get the same or more playing time as Stan as the season progresses.

Dan - he was calm for the first 10 mins. After that he was on the refs a lot. They didn’t play 4G line up until 2nd half. I thought he made a mistake at end if game. Up 3 with Buffalo shooting FTs and he didn’t put a F into to rebound (had 4Gs). Stan trying to block out 6-10 kid didn’t work. Buffalo banks in a three to tie it off the rebound.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Buffalo had a solid team for sure. We didn't play good except I thought Terell, Jarvis and Fatts played solid. Credit to Buffalo who played very tight/physical D. We did't get any easy baskets. Every time we got in the lane we would get fouled hard. We also didn't get many cleans looks from outside and when we did we weren't making them. Dowtin and Cyril both had bad games in my opinion. I am huge fans of them both. Buffalo played very hard which kept them in the game and they had 3 players that were solid. I apologize if this was answered earlier but why didn't Lassard dress??? I am a bit concerned about our front court. Cyril will be fine but we need to remember he is just a sophmore who isn't used to playing 30+ minutes a game. Lassard and Tertsea need to be developed because we just don't have depth at the 5. I still like Berry but he just didn't have it today and his lack of quickness can be a major liability. What's the deal with Lassard and Tertsea. 2 Scholly's that need to be opened if they aren't ever going to play. Cyril made some great moves today but just wasn't finishing anything. Dowtin just couldn't make a shot. I'm very confident in our team going forward. I hate these exhibitions. I don't ever recall seeing a basketball game scrimmage or not that you couldn't foul out of. I felt it put our players at risk when the opponent knows they can keep fouling you and won't be disqualified. The refs let things get out of control and then made some terrible calls. Either way I'm glad it was just an exhibition.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

CT Rhody wrote:What was the crowd size?
Incredibly weak...
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...this was old school Hurls....apoplectic at times...whether he should have been or not, this was especially over the top...esp for a scrimmage...
DH should be pissed, he said multiple times to me since school started this is the best a team has played in practice while he’s been here and then they can’t make a damn layup nor could we stop #2 who was a juco transfer for Buffalo... there’s a lot of work to do and neither of the head coaches were treating this like a “scrimmage” and I’m glad they weren’t.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:What was the crowd size?
Incredibly weak...
As was the marketing
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't mind DH getting pissed at his team for a bad performance. I don't like seeing him get on the refs though during a scrimmage
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Getting after the team is one thing...but, regardless of whether the team met expectations or not, he was all over the refs. That conniption fit on the non-goaltend call was over the top old school DH - Should you really have to have an asst coach getting between you and the officials in an exhibition game? I'm thinking not, but that's just my opinion...

Not really a fan of the unlimited fouling, hopefully, they take another look at that...seems it could lend to much more physical play that could get dicey
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote:I don't mind DH getting pissed at his team for a bad performance. I don't like seeing him get on the refs though during a scrimmage
We were next to the coaches. He didn’t get pissed at the players. I didn’t see him yell once at a player.
He was all over the bald ref after the JT call.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Getting after the team is one thing...but, regardless of whether the team met expectations or not, he was all over the refs. That conniption fit on the non-goaltend call was over the top old school DH - Should you really have to have an asst coach getting between you and the officials in an exhibition game? I'm thinking not, but that's just my opinion...

Not really a fan of the unlimited fouling, hopefully, they take another look at that...seems it could lend to much more physical play that could get dicey
I agree. Changes the complexion of the game. Perkins played 34 minutes and had 7 fouls. He scored 15. He would’ve been on the bench a lot. He had 3 in the first half. #22 had 6 fouls too.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......DH from a short huddle distance got hot with the Juice, after I think his defense mishaps leading to two Bull hoops.....but I gotta keep all this stuff; coaches behavior, players being off a beat or two....etc....this is why they play the exhibit games.....let’s remember, we have not been in this position in a while, so coming hot out of the box, and not missing beat and picking up where we left off is simply not gonna happen in freakin October......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fwiw Cooley also got a tech today in their game, which they lost. Kinda the point, results are meaningless right now.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
reef wrote:I don't mind DH getting pissed at his team for a bad performance. I don't like seeing him get on the refs though during a scrimmage
We were next to the coaches. He didn’t get pissed at the players. I didn’t see him yell once at a player.
He was all over the bald ref after the JT call.
He was extremely pissed at Berry for not getting back on defense. He had a look of rage on his face. I was sitting directly across from him. He immediately turned to Akele and told him to go in the game. Believe me, he was pissed.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

This game and the way this game played out is really the best thing we could have asked for. A free exhibition played with an intensity almost like a real game with some adversity. We needed this as our early season is tough right out of the gate.
4 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I don’t think you can put much weight into a preseason game. But a few people mentioned how well and hard Buffalo played. I think one thing from this afternoon that will carry over into the season is our opponents playing above and beyond what is expected.

By having success last season and being the clear favorites in the A-10, we’re going to be the highlighted game on many of our opponents’ schedules. And we play a lot of schools, like Buffalo, who may not be viewed by us as key opponents but who are good enough to beat us. (UNC-A, COC, FGCU, Iona, plus many of the A-10 schools). We’re going to have to be ready for everyone’s best and can expect some games where we’ll be saying “you sure this team has an rpi of 150.”
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

yeah definitely. I will have to say that I am a little nervous about our frontcourt with Langevine prone to foul problems. I would have liked to see layssard get a look out there. I guess what the coaching staff sees in practice dictates that, though. I can def see us going zone with Berry in the middle and Preston or Akele as our 4 when Cyril get into foul trouble.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah can't overanalyze this one too much.
Might be the best outcome we could have.

I mean, PC beat down Uconn then loses by 10 to Carleton.
Tells me our games result isn't much of a big deal.

Disappointed with Berry the most.
Hopefully he can do more for us. We'll need somebody to step it up.

Angel Delgado may give us a very rude awakening...
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Roz, I don't see it....if he does go zone, and AB plays the middle...they get the ball to the foul line, AB comes up to cover - someone else will have to help (or else blow-by layup)...and wherever that guy comes from, pass to that corner or perimeter point, open 3. Can't see it working....
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

A few people have wondered why Layssard didn't play, it was announced earlier this week that he was out today with a knee injury. Definitely a missed opportunity for him
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:A few people have wondered why Layssard didn't play, it was announced earlier this week that he was out today with a knee injury. Definitely a missed opportunity for him
Is it crazy to think that Layssard might be a redshirt this year too?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:A few people have wondered why Layssard didn't play, it was announced earlier this week that he was out today with a knee injury. Definitely a missed opportunity for him
Heard that...more interested in why Tertsea didn't play?
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I see your point, but in a zone it will be very difficult to blow by because it is tightly packed. That being said a good outside shooting team would have a field day
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Billyboy78 wrote:
What would our frontcourt be? Cyril, Preston, Akele and Berry? That makes me nervous because I have a sense that Akele is a 3 and so is preston.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Roz wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
What would our frontcourt be? Cyril, Preston, Akele and Berry? That makes me nervous because I have a sense that Akele is a 3 and so is preston.
Yeah, it makes me nervous too. but if Dan doesn't think he's good enough to play, on top of a "sore" knee, what difference would it make? Tertsea is on the bench too and it doesn't look like he's good enough to play. If we're going to play 4 guards much, Layssard will see very little to any playing time.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

OK--I have read all the comments about the game and who played well and who didn't and who didn't play at all.........
My question is what is the deal with EC and why did he not play at all????????
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

If you need to know how important the result is, all you need to realize is that your best player was voluntarily held out. Nothing matters til it actually starts to matter.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote:OK--I have read all the comments about the game and who played well and who didn't and who didn't play at all.........
My question is what is the deal with EC and why did he not play at all????????
Per a previous post: Mild tendinitis. Out as a precaution.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Not cupcake city today folks. These guys are picked to win their half of the MAC and played all out for 45 minutes.

This was a good test, best possible for October hoops.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A few clarifications/comments on recent post above:
1) Rhody doesn’t play a zone. Have you watched their games?
2) Preston (6-7 230) and Akele (6-8) aren’t 3s in college basketball. EC 6-5), Stan (6-4) & Terrell (6-3) are 3s.
1 x