4 Guard Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 4 Guard Rotation

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Smokinjimit wrote:It wouldn't surprise me to see a five guard line up at the end of games if we are up by more than one possession. Downtin, Garret, EC, Terrell, Robinson would create tough matchups for a team trying to come back using the 3 point shot. That line up wouldn't work long term but if you are up it might be a killer. Especially the way all 5 of those guys shot from the line at the end of last season.

Imagine trying to force a turnover at the end of a game against 5 guys who can handle the ball, shoot the 3 and get to the hoop off the dribble.
There may not be another team in the country that can do that.
This is the most crazy yet awesome idea I have ever heard. Question - do the coaches have the balls to do it? I doubt it. The closest I think you will get is 4 guards and Akele.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

For all the talk about how bad Berry is on D - I was not thrilled with KI's defense a lot of the time last year. Cost us several games yet still got playing time. If Berry's D is average he will play.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

While KI's bball IQ and court awareness were at times suspect, not sure you can compare the two (Berry and KI). Karan had some big rebounding games, blocked a bunch of shots and turned into a very solid 4 man by end of season.
If Berry averaged 10pts and 8reboundsnwith 2 blocks we would be over the moon and that was KI's stat line.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

KI was a true 6'9", with wingspan and quickness. IMO his impact was/is underappreciated. Berry is a totally different player and in no way replaces him, IMO.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I hope DH keeps an open mind and let the competition play out to determine the starters. If he feels it's between Preston and Akele to start at the 4 then let them have at it at practice
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Thank you Rhodylaw.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I hope you guys enjoy the article. Thanks for your comments.
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/10 ... thews-rams
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thanks for sharing. Elite 8 sounds good to me! Haha
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rhodylaw wrote:For all the talk about how bad Berry is on D - I was not thrilled with KI's defense a lot of the time last year. Cost us several games yet still got playing time. If Berry's D is average he will play.
Disagree about KI
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

After reading the box score, if today was any indication we'll be seeing the four guard lineup a lot this year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:After reading the box score, if today was any indication we'll be seeing the four guard lineup a lot this year.
They didn’t use the 4 Guard line up at all in the first half.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sweet a quote from the Great Kenny Green !!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........Regarding Berry’s defense, “average” on most teams his below average on a DH team.......his minutes will disappear......especially where the four guards are keeping us in games and winning those games.......eventually Lasyards/ Preston’s minutes will replace Andre’s in “positionless” basketball....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote:........Regarding Berry’s defense, “average” on most teams his below average on a DH team.......his minutes will disappear......especially where the four guards are keeping us in games and winning those games.......eventually Lasyards/ Preston’s minutes will replace Andre’s in “positionless” basketball....
The bigger problem is that he didn't look good on offense either.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely don't want Berry starting. Don't mind him off the bench especially when we need scoring
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Berry will get those layups and putbacks going, no doubt. Plenty of guys were missing their regular shots yesterday including point blank layups and finishes around the rim.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My favorite thing here is people making hard and fast assumptions on what they want in the lineup going forward based on a single charity game without the best player in the lineup, in a game marred by terrible officiating.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote:My favorite thing here is people making hard and fast assumptions on what they want in the lineup going forward based on a single charity game without the best player in the lineup, in a game marred by terrible officiating.
How can we live without making fast assumptions???
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:My favorite thing here is people making hard and fast assumptions on what they want in the lineup going forward based on a single charity game without the best player in the lineup, in a game marred by terrible officiating.
It’s not a single charity game, when has Berry ever looked good at defense? He’s been too slow since the day he got here.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

How did Tertsea and Layssard look?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote:How did Tertsea and Layssard look?
I still don't understand why Tertsea didn't play...is he really that bad?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Time to get him off the team if he isn't going to play
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:Time to get him off the team if he isn't going to play
Dan isn’t going to ask any player to leave. He made a commitment to them and it is a bad reputation to have for future recruiting.

Assumption on why he didn’t play:
Players under Dan have to earn their playing time in practice. It is a foundation of his coaching style. Knowing that impacts every player on the team and helps them improve.

Dan wanted to win that game. Every game counts to him. He switched into real game mode about 10 minutes into the game. Rhody never got a big enough lead to put the bottom 5 on the floor. Look at the minutes the top and layers had.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

What is the logic here? Andrew Nichols was a massive project his first two years with Bonas and now he’s a pro... let’s dial back the crazy talk about booting a kid from the team.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Seriously slow your roll. The list of mid major big men who did nothing until they were juniors or seniors is a long list. He’s a redshirt FR with a 7’5” wingspan, let’s exercise patience and trust the staff.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Dan isn’t going to ask any player to leave. He made a commitment to them and it is a bad reputation to have for future recruiting.

Assumption on why he didn’t play:
Players under Dan have to earn their playing time in practice. It is a foundation of his coaching style. Knowing that impacts every player on the team and helps them improve.

Dan wanted to win that game. Every game counts to him. He switched into real game mode about 10 minutes into the game. Rhody never got a big enough lead to put the bottom 5 on the floor. Look at the minutes the top and layers had.
There was a crowd yesterday and they were going against players in different uniforms, but it was a practice. I think it would have been really beneficial for the coaching staff to see Tertsea against new competition. They disagreed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe he didn’t earn it in practice and Dan felt the win was more important than getting his 5th front court player some time. He mentioned it being much better that they won during his comments after the game.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tertsea hardly played at all on the summer trip too.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Tertsea did put up some nice numbers in the Bahamas when he was out there.
Yeah no reason to give up on him or Laysaard yet, especially Tertsea since he's just a redshirt freshman. We have years to mold him.
I think we've maybe gotten used to guys coming here and playing immediately over the last few years because we've been in rebuild mode. Good programs always have young players who don't get many minutes early on.
Nothing to worry about yet.
Now if the Mikes don't end up contributing anything substantial by next year or the year after I think it's okay to be a little concerned, but not now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Trust the staff I am sure they know what's up
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I do. Do you think... "what's up" is...that he's just "not very good"?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Dan is rewarding Berry's effort, if you get my drift.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Look, Tertsea came in as a project having played very little basketball in his lifetime. Give him until end of next year (2019) and see if he "gets it". If he does , with his height and wingspan, he will be at least a decent contributor by his Junior/Senior years (If not more than that). I think that's what Dan is looking at (long term rather than short term).

Berry had a very good summer trip so a lot of people "overreacted upwards" so now will "overreact downwards" after this one. I'm taking a deep breath and a wait and see approach.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree ^^ Let's hold off on the hot takes based on 1 scrimmage.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What is the "hot take"?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not really going on how he played. I don't think he's in good enough shape, especially with the style of offense and defense Dan wants to play. He might be talented. He just can't move.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PeterRamTime wrote: Now if the Mikes don't end up contributing anything substantial by next year or the year after I think it's okay to be a little concerned, but not now.
Well by that standard we can only be concerned about Layssard after he's graduated so that doesn't really make sense.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm not really going on how he played. I don't think he's in good enough shape, especially with the style of offense and defense Dan wants to play. He might be talented. He just can't move.
I think we can at least all agree that the biggest area of concern is in the front court. Playing 4 guards in the A10 might be fine, but in the non conference and post season,we are going to need a steady presence under the basket. My biggest concern with our front court isn't necessarily the emergence of one of either Tertsea, Layssard or Berry, its keeping Cyril on the floor. He needs to learn to how to play without fouling or else he'll see extended periods of time on the bench. In 463 minutes last year, he committed 86 fouls with is roughly 7.5 fouls per 40 minutes. Throw in the fact that we dont play zone defense which could help keep players in foul trouble on the floor and we could be in trouble with our front court.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'd throw Tertsea in there at certain moments of a game just for his pure size.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

josephski wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote: Now if the Mikes don't end up contributing anything substantial by next year or the year after I think it's okay to be a little concerned, but not now.
Well by that standard we can only be concerned about Layssard after he's graduated so that doesn't really make sense.
Laysaard will be here the next two years so, that's not what I'm saying.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote:I'd throw Tertsea in there at certain moments of a game just for his pure size.
A successful program makes players earn every minute they get. This is how Hurley operates. Why after what the program has been through would we want it any other way?!?
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I'd throw Tertsea in there at certain moments of a game just for his pure size.
A successful program makes players earn every minute they get. This is how Hurley operates. Why after what the program has been through would we want it any other way?!?
I don't disagree with how Dan operates, but Berry was thrown in vs UMASS many times, strictly to combat Holloway.
0 x
GO RAMS