Exhibition vs Buffalo for hurricane charity

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Exhibition vs Buffalo for hurricane charity

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am seeing several schools announce scrimmages where they will sell tickets to raise money for hurricane relief charity. PC is scrimmaging UCONN at Mohegan next Weds. Any word if URI is going to do this? It seems to be gaining momentum across the country.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Scrimmage for hurricane charity

Unread post by reef »

I think we are scrimmaging Harvard again not sure if it's to raise money for the hurricanes though
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

These games are in addition to the two games that teams are allowed to scrimmage.
They are quickly popping up.....
PC - UCONN
Missouri - Kansas
Kansas State - Missouri State
Baylor - Houston
Notre Dame - Holy Cross
Marquette - Wisconsin @Milwaukee
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would be surprised. I like our group.

Just not the most creative group.

They are probably focusing on how to stop RhodyJay from bringing signs into the Ryan Center instead of something like this.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These games require a waiver from the NCAA if you already have two other exhibitions (public or closed) already scheduled.

Must say I did get a chuckle in reading Kevin McNamara's article about the Mohegan Sun game between PC and UConn. His history knowledge of New England college basketball seems quite weak for someone in the business of covering it if his Projo article today is any indication. This is how he described the series between the teams:

The game will give fans of both teams an early peek at two strong Eastern teams, but it will not resume one of the long-standing New England rivalries. The teams have met 72 times with the Huskies holding the all-time lead in the series, 44-28. The teams first met in 1928 when UConn defeated the Friars, 29-21, in Storrs. The last time the Friars and Huskies played, UConn earned a 63-59 win in Storrs in March 2013.

PC is hardly the most played rival of UConn as there are many other schools well ahead of it. It is in fact only its seventh most played opponent per its record book. URI is actually far and away the most played opponent of UConn. They first played in the 1906-07 season and have met in 145 games. The next most played teams are UNH at 115, UMass at 108, Maine at 98, Syracuse at 90, and BC at 89.

UConn is also a bit down the list for the most played opponent for PC as well. The Huskies are in fact one of the lesser played teams from the original Big East partners for the Friars. Prior to the 2016-17 season, PC listed their their most played opponents as URI at 126, Brown at 122, BC at 110, St John's at 108, Seton Hall at 98, and Villanova at 97.

The irony is that URI is actually the most played opponent for both UConn and PC. Neither team is however the most played opponent for URI as Brown (160) and UMass (150) lead the way.

Friars to scrimmage UConn in hurricane charity game
By Kevin McNamara Journal Sports Writer

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/ProJo/
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Have to give Cooley credit for being quick to jump on this concept.
Will be played at the Mohegan Sun

Some talk on the possibility of UCONN rejoining the BE on the PC board so BE can play 20 Conference games with an 11 team League.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

ramster wrote:Have to give Cooley credit for being quick to jump on this concept.

Some talk on the possibility of UCONN rejoining the BE on the PC board so BE can play 20 Conference games with an 11 team League.
Would UCONN do that? I'd assume that this move would kill any hopes of having their football team continue to play at the FBS level. I don't think any FBS conference is going to be willing to take UCONN football without basketball accompanying it.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
ramster wrote:Have to give Cooley credit for being quick to jump on this concept.

Would UCONN do that? I'd assume that this move would kill any hopes of having their football team continue to play at the FBS level. I don't think any FBS conference is going to be willing to take UCONN football without basketball accompanying it.

UCONN would jump at the chance let's be honest who would you rather be playing Villanova, PC, Seton Hall or Tulane and Tulsa. I don't think the Big East allows them back in unless something is resolved regarding their football though. Last thing they would want is the distraction of them begging the ACC and Big Tennessee again.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

UCONN would jump at the chance let's be honest who would you rather be playing Villanova, PC, Seton Hall or Tulane and Tulsa. I don't think the Big East allows them back in unless something is resolved regarding their football though. Last thing they would want is the distraction of them begging the ACC and Big Tennessee again.
No kidding, of course they'd rather be in the Big East for basketball, that's not in question. The question is are they willing to drop their football back down to the FCS level or become an FBS Independent, which is probably what would have to happen for in order for them to join the Big East in basketball.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

This would be a good post in a universe where college football didn't exist and the decision would be influenced by basketball considerations.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

Would they rather play Villanova, PC, and Seton Hall or WIchita State, Cincinnati and SMU? That's the better question.

Like you said though, the problem is they really want to keep football and play Duke, North Carolina, and Syracuse.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Would they rather play Villanova, PC, and Seton Hall or WIchita State, Cincinnati and SMU? That's the better question.
I don't think it's the top that matters as much as it is the bottom.

If UCONN played a 20 game schedule in the Big East last year, they would have faced KenPom's 2 (x2), 25 (x2), 28 (x2), 31 (x2), 32 (x2), 51 (x2), 60 (x2), 69 (x2), 99 (x2), and 184 (x2).

Instead, they played a 18 game schedule against 11 (x2), 23 (x2), 52 (x2), 68 (x2), 101 (x2), 118 (x2), 144, 191 (x2), 241, 292 (x2).

Of course the addition of Wichita St as a Top 10 program last year and presumable a Top 25 program annually will help, but it only really substantially helps if the 1 or 2 times per year you face them remove extra games against bottom tier teams. It doesn't really help if you play Wichita St. once but lose a game vs SMU. Realistically if the AAC had a hypothetical 20 game schedule, they would probably get one versus Wichita St. and one versus one of those bottom programs.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That's fine, but woodennickel used the top Big East teams and the bottom AAC teams, that's why I replied the way I did.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does anyone know who URI is scheduled to scrimmage?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote:Does anyone know who URI is scheduled to scrimmage?
Koch said Rhody will scrimmage with Harvard again. I presumed it was a closed scrimmage, not the hurricane scrimmage PC and UConn have scheduled.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Harvard in a closed scrimmage - just as past several years
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

Like you said though, the problem is they really want to keep football and play Duke, North Carolina, and Syracuse.

OK let me put it this way would you rather play Georgetown and Depaul or Tulane and East Carolina. Don't even think it matters top teams or not they have a lot more in common with the Big East schools. The presidents of the big East would be crazy to let them back in without some resolution to the football matter. Even though they bring a lot to the table.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:
Harvard in a closed scrimmage - just as past several years
Damn...I was hoping it would be an open scrimmage at Harvard - I live about 5 miles away!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

We will play Buffalo in an exhibition next weekend I believe.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dre3000 wrote:We will play Buffalo in an exhibition next weekend I believe.
In Kingston?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:We will play Buffalo in an exhibition next weekend I believe.
In Kingston?
Yes
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nate! Such a good guy and coach. They’re killing it on the recruiting trail for ‘18. Perfect guy to have taken over the program after Bobby.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bryant will play BC at Conte as a charity exhibition game.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

May be a long shot but a thought and probably the only way it gets done is for charity.
But a hurricane relief game versus Arizona state?
Maybe the only time Hurley versus Hurley.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodysk wrote:May be a long shot but a thought and probably the only way it gets done is for charity.
The travel cost would obliterate the benefits
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodysk wrote:May be a long shot but a thought and probably the only way it gets done is for charity.
Funny I was thinking the same thing this afternoon :D
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Maybe neutral site???

I know I’m reaching... ha ha
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I thought BC would have been the perfect opponent for URI in one of these exhibition games, especially since their coach went to Rhody.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Bigsnoop wrote:I thought BC would have been the perfect opponent for URI in one of these exhibition games, especially since their coach went to Rhody.
yea I feel like URI and Bryant should have switched opponents
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Koch had tweeted a relief game was in the works, with no finalization...however, he deleted the tweet. Wish I had copied it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:Koch had tweeted a relief game was in the works, with no finalization...however, he deleted the tweet. Wish I had copied it.
It was posted earlier in this thread.
Why would he delete it? Was he letting out news before he was supposed to? Did the relief game fall through?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It's been posted again. The original had a typo, probably no conspiracy theory here.

2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

nice job
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Bigsnoop wrote:I thought BC would have been the perfect opponent for URI in one of these exhibition games, especially since their coach went to Rhody.
Dan has a relationship with the Buffalo coach, not the BC coach.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote:
Jimmy Christian played for URI in the 1986-87 season and also played on the great 1987-88 team with Bonzie Colson, Mergin Sina, Tom Garrick, Kenny Green, John Evans, Silk Owens
Tim O'Shea was a GA at URI for the 1984-85 season. He then went to BC as a GA for the 1985-86 season. He went to Yale for 2 years then joined Al Skinner's staff for the next 9 years.
So the ties of O'Shea and Christian have somewhat of a link to URI
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Harvard's top player, Sophomore Bryce Aiken and Rhody's Cyril Langevine were teammates at The Patrick School
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:It's been posted again. The original had a typo, probably no conspiracy theory here.

I never meant it to be a type of conspiracy, my initial thought was that the game might not be taking place (cancelled) so therefore the tweet was removed, or that maybe it was posted prematurely.
It's interesting that this game has been played for several consecutive years now, also interesting that URI has played Harvard in football for 3 straight years. Good school to have sports contests with.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

woodennickel1 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

UCONN would jump at the chance let's be honest who would you rather be playing Villanova, PC, Seton Hall or Tulane and Tulsa. I don't think the Big East allows them back in unless something is resolved regarding their football though. Last thing they would want is the distraction of them begging the ACC and Big Ten again.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
Jimmy Christian played for URI in the 1986-87 season and also played on the great 1987-88 team with Bonzie Colson, Mergin Sina, Tom Garrick, Kenny Green, John Evans, Silk Owens
Tim O'Shea was a GA at URI for the 1984-85 season. He then went to BC as a GA for the 1985-86 season. He went to Yale for 2 years then joined Al Skinner's staff for the next 9 years.
So the ties of O'Shea and Christian have somewhat of a link to URI

Tim O'Shea went to and played at BC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good point RF1.

Any guesses as to who our fundraiser scrimmage could be with? I assume will be on our home court?
I heard someone mention Buffalo
I’m going to guess Manhattan - because we scrimmaged them in the past and a not such a long distance away. But my second guess would be Northeastern, 3rd guess Vermont, 4th guess Hofstra.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 more announced:

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:Good point RF1.

Any guesses as to who our fundraiser scrimmage could be with? I assume will be on our home court?
I heard someone mention Buffalo
I’m going to guess Manhattan - because we scrimmaged them in the past and a not such a long distance away. But my second guess would be Northeastern, 3rd guess Vermont, 4th guess Hofstra.
I thought I read that Vermont already had one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am not sure how travel is paid for when an Albany opts to play at West Virginia in a Hurricane Relief Game like this - but my guess is they get some money from WVU

Also,
Georgia State will play Hurricane Relief Game at Georgia Tech
Liberty University will play at VCU
Nebraska to play at Mississippi State
Memphis and Vanderbilt are currently in discussions for a Hurricane Relief Game to be played as early as next week

Some very nice opportunities for some teams to play some good rivalry games or teams they would have difficulty scheduling during a regular season

0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I heard a rumor of URI trying to get a game with Quinnipiac. Don't have any details
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Last edited by GansettSummer 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

:D :D :D this is great! Wasn’t expecting this at all.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Anyone remember Wes Clark? He played for Nate Oats at Romulus with EC. Clark was generally considered the better of the two by recruiting rankings but had a rough few years at Missouri. It was never completely clear if he quit, was kicked off the team, or something in between. In any case, he’s back with Nate at Buffalo now.
0 x