Scheduling Q&A

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Scheduling Q&A

Unread post by adam914 »

Question for those of you that are so hung up on the number of games we play. Would you prefer to add two more games against bad RPI teams that are guaranteed to hurt our numbers just so we can say we scheduled the maximum amount of games? Or would the complaints then just shift to quality of the schedule?
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That’s a great question!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Question for those of you that are so hung up on the number of games we play. Would you prefer to add two more games against bad RPI teams that are guaranteed to hurt our numbers just so we can say we scheduled the maximum amount of games? Or would the complaints then just shift to quality of the schedule?
Hello....of course there will always be complaints either way....
I wouldn't really care if they added two crappy teams, I'd get to see more games.
But, since they didn't, that helps SOS, so...I'm good with that, too.

Just win all the right games and it won't really matter anyway...
If they didn't lose any games to A-10 teams, all year...that would do the trick, and 'other two games' won't matter.... :lol:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:Question for those of you that are so hung up on the number of games we play. Would you prefer to add two more games against bad RPI teams that are guaranteed to hurt our numbers just so we can say we scheduled the maximum amount of games? Or would the complaints then just shift to quality of the schedule?

Given we already have many good OOC opponents and a strong schedule strength quality wise, YES. I would take a game against a lesser team (provided it is D1) to pad the record.

The RPI is no longer the be all and end all for NCAA selection. You need to have played several good OOC teams and come away with a few wins. Playing less games however typically means less wins and that can hurt as well. It is a delicate balancing act.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We are expected to win the A10. We are worried about playing a team that could hurt our RPI?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yeah....i don't really get that...then again, I'm not in it to overthink it...people get paid to do that.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:

Given we already have many good OOC opponents and a strong schedule strength quality wise, YES. I would take a game against a lesser team (provided it is D1) to pad the record.

The RPI is no longer the be all and end all for NCAA selection. You need to have played several good OOC teams and come away with a few wins. Playing less games however typically means less wins and that can hurt as well. It is a delicate balancing act.
It is correct that the RPI is no longer the be all and end all, but neither is hitting some magic number of wins benchmark.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:We are expected to win the A10. We are worried about playing a team that could hurt our RPI?
Yes. I don't think it would be wise to just assume we'll win the A10 and therefore not worry about our RPI (and other relevant metrics).

Using that logic, should the staff have just scheduled a bunch of cupcakes to try and guarantee an undefeated non-conference and say "well we're expected to win the A10". That would have been acceptable to most fans?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:We are expected to win the A10. We are worried about playing a team that could hurt our RPI?
Yes. I don't think it would be wise to just assume we'll win the A10 and therefore not worry about our RPI (and other relevant metrics).

Using that logic, should the staff have just scheduled a bunch of cupcakes to try and guarantee an undefeated non-conference and say "well we're expected to win the A10". That would have been acceptable to most fans?
No, we're talking about one game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...win the A-10 and all will be well. Of course they don't want all cupcakes for the non-con. Seems like a pretty good/tough enough set they have now...no complaints here... take care of business with it, and the other one or two games won't be an issue.

Really, the only thing guaranteed is that, no matter what happens, someone will complain about it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...win the A-10 and all will be well. Of course they don't want all cupcakes for the non-con. Seems like a pretty good/tough enough set they have now...no complaints here... take care of business with it, and the other one or two games won't be an issue.

Really, the only thing guaranteed is that, no matter what happens, someone will complain about it.
And I have some information about who will complain, but I'm can't say anything about it yet.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good one, 78. Actually chuckled out loud.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Ok, fair enough, next question then. What is the benefit of adding that one game? Just another number in the win column?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, RPI isn't the end all be all, but it's still perhaps the most important metric, and people seem to be ignoring that the NCAA changed how they're going to evaluate tournament teams mid offseason this year. That's problematic when scheduling is a two to three year process.

I'm confident the staff did the best they could with the information available. Scheduling an extra game that hurts our RPI and doesn't help us in any way can only hurt us and I'm glad the staff passed. Hopefully the changes in evaluating tournament teams will give more teams an incentive to schedule us going forward.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: Really, the only thing guaranteed is that, no matter what happens, someone will complain about it.
Ha, exactly. That's kind of been the point I am trying to get at here. Is there actually a reason that some are so hung up on the number of games on the schedule or is it just the easiest thing to bitch about this year since the schedule itself is fantastic.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Ok, fair enough, next question then. What is the benefit of adding that one game? Just another number in the win column?
The benefit for me is getting to see them play another game. Even if it's against an inferior team, I still enjoy watching them.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

That's the problem with how some want us to schedule. There's NO benefit, it's a Jim Baron Memorial Win, completely empty in meaning that doesn't appreciably help the box office. Worse, it could hurt our RPI and metrics, putting us on the outside of the bubble depending on how the year goes.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: No, we're talking about one game.
The benefit for me is getting to see them play another game. Even if it's against an inferior team, I still enjoy watching them.
I'm with that...but if they don't get it...oh well, can't do anything about it...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: No, we're talking about one game.
See, this is an argument I can see. That said, between the amount of home games and televised road games we'll see this particular Ram squad more than almost any other in our history. And by putting together the schedule they did, the staff put us in position to play on the biggest stage in the game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm just looking at it as a fan. Maybe I'm selfish. I enjoy watching them play. I wish they would play 50 games.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
I'm with that...but if they don't get it...oh well, can't do anything about it...
Ok, thats fine to. I just don't think the goal of the staff should be to maximize home games for the fans and putting less of an emphasis on building the best tournament resume.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

mlaprey wrote:
ramster wrote:Thank you Mike,
Very nice job on the schedule.
The obvious question that will come your way is who is the other team that we will play in the preseason NIT? Rumor on the board here has frequently mentioned Oakland City. When will we know who that team will be? And why is the NIT so late in announcing it? What happened to FDU who we thought was in at one time?
We are only playing one home date as part of the NIT Season Tipoff. There were a few scheduling snags along the way with the tournament that ESPN and the schools involved tried to overcome. There was no single team that was going to fill the field that could have played us and Seton Hall, so they were able to find an additional team to play SHU as part of the event. With our games on Nov. 13 and 19, we opted to not try to shoehorn another game into that week. ESPN - who runs the NIT Season Tipoff along with several other tourneys - were extremely accommodating in tough scheduling circumstances.
The scheduling of 2 fewer games than the max 31 comes down to 2 discussions.
As I asked Mike earlier, URI decided not to try to shoehorn another game into the week in which they had @ Nevada on Monday Nov 13 and Holy Cross Home on Sunday November 19. He said ESPN was extremely accommodating but it was URI's decision.
While it is unfortunate we were not able to land that 2nd home game within the NIT Season Tip Off, bottom line it would have been poor RPI opponent but also, by being in this NIT Tournament URI gets to play Seton Hall and Virginia/Vanderbilt - outstandingly talented field of 4 teams!!!! Not like we could turn this opportunity down.
mlaprey wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:What are the chances we pick up the one additional non-conference game? Also, any idea if it would home or away?
Working on closing up that last game; I'm hopeful by the end of the week but still some hurdles to clear. Likely a non-home game.
The 2nd discussion was about the game that Mike tried hard to schedule but in the end was not possible. This was likely to be a non-home game.

At the end of the day, I seriously doubt that these two games on the schedule would determine whether URI makes the NCAA Tournament or not. An argument could be made that not playing these two games will provide less congestion to the schedule between November 10 (UNC Ashville) and November 27 (FGSU) when URI will play 11 games and improve our chances against a number of strong opponents. Maybe those two games enable the team to be healthier and provide less chance for injury - which has been our nemesis the past 2 years. George Mason kicks off all important A10 play on December 30th.

Personally I would prefer the 31 game schedule, but I have to trust this staff as to what type of schedule best enables them to achieve the goals for the 2017-18 season. They know better than I do.
OOC Schedule 2017.png
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This is a tough schedule. The best we could go is 9-2, but we could just as easily struggle to 6-5.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It is a tough schedule. Good news is that 7 of the 11 games are home. 2 are neutral in Barclays (if playing Seton Hall,there is neutral).
Plus games are spread from November 10 to December 27 And we had the 10 days of practice plus Bahamas so,we got to learn more about our team/players that maybe the two games that we are "short" of 31 really will not matter so much.
Plus A10 starts early Dec 30 with GMU.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not that big of a deal , we are going to rule the A10 , the one less game won't bite us in the backside
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody74 wrote:This is a tough schedule. The best we could go is 9-2, but we could just as easily struggle to 6-5.
Disagree - the best we can go is 11-0!!!!
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Big Ten schools will soon play less OOC games as they move to 20 game league schedule. Will join the ACC which is also going to 20 games.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein- ... -change-2/
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

This is a very tough schedule. I also like that Dan has scheduled three tough non conference games for next year at home, Alabama, Nevada, and one that regretfully one I can't mention. Trust me, it is better than either of those.These games will fit in nice with a younger, less experienced team The only problem is to get the average fan to show up this year when teams such as Charleston or Florida gulf Coast come into Kingston. Average fan might favor Duquesne over them. Anyway, this schedule is the best for a veteran team. Can't wait!
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

neil wrote:This is a very tough schedule. I also like that Dan has scheduled three tough non conference games for next year at home, Alabama, Nevada, and one that regretfully one I can't mention. Trust me, it is better than either of those.These games will fit in nice with a younger, less experienced team The only problem is to get the average fan to show up this year when teams such as Charleston or Florida gulf Coast come into Kingston. Average fan might favor Duquesne over them. Anyway, this schedule is the best for a veteran team. Can't wait!
Neil, any sense on when this game will become public? With all this Uconn connections at URI, I can't help but think it's uconn.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It seems like Coaches Calhoun and Hurley have established a relationship. It would be awesome to have the Huskies in the Ryan Center. Validation of the program that is being built here.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

27 ncaa appearances, two final fours - if you have a guess send a private messsage.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

neil wrote:27 ncaa appearances, two final fours - if you have a guess send a private messsage.
Couldn't seem to find a single team that fit ALL your hints. I will therefore guess it is Memphis (they however have three final fours). Other possibilities could be West Virginia or St. John's as they are close matches for your hints.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Only Ohio State and Xavier have 27 NCAA appearances, per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... _by_school. But Xavier has never made it to the Final Four 4 (but 3 Elite 8s). Ohio State has been to the Final Four 10 times.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Purdue possibly? They have 28 ncaa appearances and two final fours.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Maryland and St. Johns have 26 and 2 Final Fours. Maryland and URI don't get along after the Hurley handshake line a few years back, so I'd guess St. Johns - especially with our scrimmage(s) of years past.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Section104 wrote:Maryland and St. Johns have 26 and 2 Final Fours. Maryland and URI don't get along after the Hurley handshake line a few years back, so I'd guess St. Johns - especially with our scrimmage(s) of years past.

Maryland also has a national championship. i think Neil would have mentioned that. I also am in agreement that given Cancun, I would not expect Turgeon and Hurley to schedule a series.

Given how scheduling typically works, I think a game versus a team outside a P5 league with such a resume is a more likely opponent.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

i think the Johnnies have 28 tournament appearences with the 2 final fours, not 26. I only can find Maryland with 26 & 2. Agree with above, dont think DH is scheduling anything with the terps.

It be cool however if it was Wichita State coming to Kingston, they have 2 final fours but i think only 15 or 16 appearences
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My guess is Purdue, Maryland or West Virginia. Though I don't think any of them match the criteria perfectly if my search was done correctly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think a hint might be in Neil's contest that some schools had bids that were later forfeited . I think a couple schools fit the criteria if you take that into account.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The A10 won't or should not go to a 20 game league schedule....too many shitty teams....

The A10 is going to have a hard time getting 3 bids or more once those 20 gamers start....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:The A10 won't or should not go to a 20 game league schedule....too many shitty teams....

The A10 is going to have a hard time getting 3 bids or more once those 20 gamers start....
The A-10 is already having a hard time getting three or more bids. While it did get three last year, look at the seeding. Many in the media are predicting only two NCAA teams from the league this season.

Given URI's problems putting together a full slate of games, 20 league games depending on the opponents might actually be good for Rhody. Once most of the high profile conferences go to 20 games, scheduling OOC games versus good teams will be even tougher.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

P5 teams plus the BE will have even less incentive to play mid majors.

What good does it do if URI plays 31 games if most of the OOC games are against stiffs?
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

UCH21377 wrote:It seems like Coaches Calhoun and Hurley have established a relationship. It would be awesome to have the Huskies in the Ryan Center. Validation of the program that is being built here.
Jim Calhoun currently coaches Division 3 St Joseph's in CT, I think we want a tougher opponent coming to the Ryan Center :P
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:P5 teams plus the BE will have even less incentive to play mid majors.

What good does it do if URI plays 31 games if most of the OOC games are against stiffs?

That's kind of his point. If you can't schedule anyone good in OOC, why not play more A10 games? Would rather play GW or SLU an extra time than play Dartmouth or Central Connecticut or whatever. Seems like you'll like have a scheduling model where you play an exempt tournament to eat up 4 games (2 of your best OOC at a neutral court and two weaker home games), maybe a couple tune up games against lower level regional opponents, and a local/rivalry (for us PC). That's 7 OOC games out of 11. Would be great if the A10 could setup a league showcase with the AAC or MWC or something to get its teams another game (or even two) that will help their SOS. The you're looking at 3 remaining games to fill with the best games you can get from a resume perspective, which should be easier than filling 5 games.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

What about a boy's dream to go 40-0!?

*ducks*
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not good news for the A10 with these conf going to 20 league games. It shouldn't bother us however since we should be good regardless
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

A10 has a strong 7-10 teams. Some are in flux. Umass doesn't have to suck. I dislike them but they don't have to be as bad as they are.

VCU/Dayton have been the class of the league. Not too long ago it was SLU that had the talent on the court, the $$, and seemingly dominated.

Joes/Richmond/Davidson/Mason/George Wash are all good teams that can have a good year.

Then you have the king URI. It's a good league that was better 10 years ago with Temple and Xavier. We had the highpoint, but could settle into a strong top 6. 4 knocking on the tournaments door. Any year having 3-5 go dancing.

It is not doom and gloom.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Right. How do we get the Patriot League and Fordham to complete their marriage and jettison Duquesne to who the hell cares? Get rid of those two and we'll be worlds better.
0 x